Amazon: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up $39.99

This is not a deal. I played the game at PAX and it is fucking terrible. Much, much worse than Tournament Fighters from back in the day.

Do NOT buy this game!

What was bad about it, specifically? And are you a fan of the Super Smash Bros. series? That will help me gauge your opinion and see if it's relevant to my situation.

This game isn't too bad to be honest. It does feel like a smaller scale Smash Bros. but the gameplay itself with the turtles is pretty good since they all feel unique. My real gripe is there isn't a lot of characters and most of the ones in the game are from recent turtle films and cartoons and not the original ones which is what I grew up on. Great game and lots of fun, but a lot of wasted potential of the 25th anniversary of TMNT.

Sooners, if you're a Smash Bros. fan and like TMNT, than this game will offer you a lot of fun as long as you don't expect it to be as large as Smash Bros. if that makes sense.

[quote name='demolitio']My real gripe is there isn't a lot of characters and most of the ones in the game are from recent turtle films and cartoons and not the original ones which is what I grew up on. [/QUOTE]

What?!!! If Bebop and Rocksteady aren't in the game, I'm not buying it!!!

[quote name='D. Monic']What?!!! If Bebop and Rocksteady aren't in the game, I'm not buying it!!![/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint you then, but they're MIA unless it's a super secret unlock code that no one knows of. :p

They're actually getting grilled on the Smash-Up forums over the lack of old school characters. This game was definitely focusing on recent TMNT stuff which I have no knowledge of.

[quote name='nikkai']This and Mursamasa makes me wanna go out and buy a wii[/QUOTE]

TMNT Smash-Up is PS2 also. That's the version I'd get, even though I own a Wii.

I only buy Wii exclusives. I prefer PS3 upscaling and the wii-mote is inevitably used as a gimmick on ports.

[quote name='Gamelore']TMNT Smash-Up is PS2 also. That's the version I'd get, even though I own a Wii.

I only buy Wii exclusives. I prefer PS3 upscaling and the wii-mote is inevitably used as a gimmick on ports.[/QUOTE]

It's not a port though, it was originally announced as a Wii only title. Supports classic controller just like Smash Bros.

[quote name='Gamelore']TMNT Smash-Up is PS2 also. That's the version I'd get, even though I own a Wii.

I only buy Wii exclusives. I prefer PS3 upscaling and the wii-mote is inevitably used as a gimmick on ports.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, buy the version for the weaker system, even though the Wii game supports good controllers too. :roll:

I don't see why they wouldn't put this one the 360 or PS3, I don't buy Wii games, even though I have a Wii. I like the social networking aspects and Achievements/Trophies systems in the HD systems, not to mention the fact that I didn't buy a 52" HDTV to play Wii games.

[quote name='demolitio']This game isn't too bad to be honest. It does feel like a smaller scale Smash Bros. but the gameplay itself with the turtles is pretty good since they all feel unique. My real gripe is there isn't a lot of characters and most of the ones in the game are from recent turtle films and cartoons and not the original ones which is what I grew up on. Great game and lots of fun, but a lot of wasted potential of the 25th anniversary of TMNT.

Sooners, if you're a Smash Bros. fan and like TMNT, than this game will offer you a lot of fun as long as you don't expect it to be as large as Smash Bros. if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. The game would be for my son who likes the newer Turtles cartoons and *loves* Super Smash Bros. I will get it for him for Christmas based on reviews.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Thanks for the info. The game would be for my son who likes the newer Turtles cartoons and *loves* Super Smash Bros. I will get it for him for Christmas based on reviews.[/QUOTE]

Definitely worth it then. :)

I already gave up on online play since I'm apparently the worst TMNT player in existence..lol

[quote name='soonersfan60']What was bad about it, specifically? And are you a fan of the Super Smash Bros. series? That will help me gauge your opinion and see if it's relevant to my situation.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a fan of Smash Bros. I can appreciate why people like it, I'm just no good at it and don't find it fun.

TMNT Smash Up however is awful. The controls don't flow smoothly, there's a sort of stiffness to it that's hard to describe. Extremely cardinal might be a way to convey it? It's kind of like you can control up and down and to the sides, but diagonals don't work very well. Or if they are working "well" they just feel like crap. The level they were showing off at PAX (which I'll assume is representative since they were showing it) was only one screen, it didn't zoom out like in Smash Brothers or even have any platforms to jump onto. It was just a big box you got dropped into and I think you could sort of jump off the wall or something. And the graphics are terrible. I'm not sure I've seen a game with the Ninja Turtles in it that didn't look at least kind of good just for having big green turtles in it, but this one is so uninspired it actually sucks inspiration out of the room.

The whole game is just very bland and very boring. I'd go with sadunk, if you really like Smash Bros, but have played it to death and just want something different but similar, then I guess it wouldn't be terrible at $20 if you're a TMNT fan. But buy it used, Ubisoft deserves no money for this garbage.

With the insane number of exceptional games coming this year and early next they'd have to pay me to take it, and then I'd still have to think twice about it even if I only owned a Wii.

bread's done
Back