Amazon Warehouse DOTW - PS3 (60GB) $399.99 OPEN BOX! (OOS)

animemaniac14

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Didn't know if anyone would find this a very good deal considering a lot of people don't like Amazon's warehouse subsidiary company...but since i know a lot (if not all) of the 60 gb are being phased out by sony (and they're the only units that have the best backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games)..i thought i'd jump on one. Dunno what they're warranty policy is..but if someone could post it that would be most excellent.

Link: http://www.warehousedeals.com/PlayStation-3-60GB/M/B0009VXAM0.htm

there are only 2 left..so if you want it...hurry

Oh and it's NOT eligible for Amazon prime or free standard super saver shipping :( but S&H is still $3.99 so not bad.

and if this is by some odd chance a repost...so sue me o_O

Well, I bought one from Warehouse Deals during the last sale batch, and I've since returned it due to a constant high pitched noise it was making. I hope they aren't trying to resell the unit I sent them back.

Everything about the unit looked and worked fine except for the noise.

[quote name='animemaniac14']well if they are refurbs...wouldn't they fix that problem?[/quote]
My understanding is they aren't refurbs. They are merchandise that was sent out by amazon as new and returned by the buyer for one reason or another (box is bashed in or soemthing). If the machine is in working order, it goes to Warehouse Deals for resale.

It is a report, as I think I and several other CAGamers took advantage of it. Also, although the site specialized in refurbs, I believe all of the 60 gig ps3's being sold by them are just damaged box/cosmetic damage units, not refurbished ones.

well if my ps3 arrives and there's something wrong with it, ill report it on here :whistle2:D but hopefully that won't be the case...anyone know how good they are about shipping and how fast they ship?

This is a repost but still a good deal.

The other thread came to the conclusion they are not refurbs.

Although this is a good deal, keep in mind this is not eligible for the 5 free blu-rays.

[quote name='animemaniac14']you mean the 5 free blu-rays from amazon?

cuz as long as the original UPC is still intact...you can send in for 5 free blu-rays...can't you?[/quote]

maybe he's saying it's not elgible because it's "used"? I'm not supporting his statement, just trying to understand it.

[quote name='animemaniac14']you mean the 5 free blu-rays from amazon?

cuz as long as the original UPC is still intact...you can send in for 5 free blu-rays...can't you?[/quote]
The order form doesn't say, but last I heard it had to be a "new" PS3. I know this is still new but the recipts from Amazon say "refurbished" don't they?

If you do buy one of these go ahead and send it, hopefully you can get the five free blu-rays.

I haven't tried it so I wouldn't know, just forwarding what I heard.

I took advantage of this open box PS3 deal a short while back (in the other thread). I'm happy to report that my PS3 is working great and I haven't run into any problems! I'm glad I got a 60GB PS3, so this is a good deal if that's what you're looking for.

Here are some additional comments about my experience:

- Though the PS3 box had some dings and damage, the contents appeared to be in "new" condition. There was no sign that the PS3 had been used in any way and upon booting up the PS3, it acted like a "new" unit.

- There are white stickers placed over all of the UPC barcodes on the PS3 box, so I highly doubt you'd be able to send in the UPC for the 5 free Bluray deal. Though I was able to peel one of them off, another peel was unsuccessful and the receipt you get from their website clearly says "used". You could always try, but I didn't because I didn't really care for any of those Bluray anyway (have most of them on HD-DVD).

- I was initially concern that these were "refurbished" units because that's what the shipping e-mail indicated, but I ended up calling Amazon support to ask for clarification. I was clearly told that the unit I purchased was not refurbished but just had damage to the box. Now some of the other open box units listed on the site did say there was cosmetic damage to the actual units so make sure you read carefully!

- The Amazon support person also said the unit would have full manufacturer warranty and I was able to register the unit on the Playstation website without problems, so I'm hopeful they would honor the warranty.

Hope that helps! I'd say go for it for someone interested in a 60GB unit.

Just so I can get this straight in my poor brain (they don't make it easy), the 60GB unit has backward compatibility built into the hardware, the 80GB uses software backward compatibility, and the 40GB unit has no PS2 compatibility at all.

Right?

If they're using software backward compatibility in the 80GB, why don't they put the software on the 40GB units as well? Am I missing something?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Just so I can get this straight in my poor brain (they don't make it easy), the 60GB unit has backward compatibility built into the hardware, the 80GB uses software backward compatibility, and the 40GB unit has no PS2 compatibility at all.

Right?

If they're using software backward compatibility in the 80GB, why don't they put the software on the 40GB units as well? Am I missing something?[/quote]

the 60 GB ps3 has the best compatibility of the 3. I'm not completely clear about the 40 GB but i know the 80 GB ps3 has little to NOTHING in terms of compatibility...

[quote name='animemaniac14']the 60 GB ps3 has the best compatibility of the 3. I'm not completely clear about the 40 GB but i know the 80 GB ps3 has little to NOTHING in terms of compatibility...[/QUOTE]
You're wrong about the 80gb.

The 40gb has no BC at all though

Just so you guys know, it seems the warehouse only has one more available!

[quote name='animemaniac14']the 60 GB ps3 has the best compatibility of the 3. I'm not completely clear about the 40 GB but i know the 80 GB ps3 has little to NOTHING in terms of compatibility...[/quote]

Edit: Went to Wikipedia to get my brain in order. Here's what they say.

"Software emulation of the Emotion Engine is used in instead and as a result, backward compatibility for PlayStation 2 games is reduced.[107] Backward compatibility is improved periodically through PlayStation 3 System Software updates, however Sony has stated that its focus will eventually shift to developing content exclusively for the PS3.[110][107][111] In the 40 GB model, backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 titles was omitted completely due to the removal of the PlayStation 2's "Graphics Synthesizer" GPU which omitted all PS2 based hardware from the system;[29] however, compatibility for most PlayStation titles will still be provided through software emulation on the 40GB unit.[31]"

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#Backward_compatibility

So basically, 60GB PS3s have full PS2 hardware built-in, 80GB have some of the hardware and (try to) make up for the absence of the Emotion Engine with software, and the 40GB has no PS2 hardware at all and therefore even software won't let it play PS2 games. Thank you for bearing with me. :)

[quote name='whoknows']You're wrong about the 80gb.

The 40gb has no BC at all though[/quote]

as far as I know - the 40gb does play PS1 games, just not PS2

[quote name='JDUB X']as far as I know - the 40gb does play PS1 games, just not PS2[/quote]

Yeah, that seems to be the case. And the 80GB seems to manage to play PS2 games without many problems. Even the 60GB unit had a few problems at launch, but after firmware updates, both the 80 and 60 seem to have backward compatibility pretty much nailed (unlike my poor Xbox 360).

Saw a 60 gig in the Target I work in for 500$ last week, didn't get it. Decided to get it today, and poof, it was gone (that particular unit had been sitting there for 2 months as I work at the store it was in). Some divine karma at work here, perhaps :D. As long as the console itself is fine, I could care less about the condition of the box.

Btw, the original receipt I received from the site does not indicate it is a "used" PS3 in any way, so I am still going to go for the 5 free blu ray flicks. If the barcode is covered by white stickers, does it really matter? As long as they get the UPC that's under those stickers...

Also noticed that even after I ordered, availability was listed as one. Maybe a sales ploy to get desperate 60 gig fanatics to go in for one?

Barring getting a completely shitty PS3 that doesn't do anything right, thanks a million to the OP.

[quote name='darkcecil32']
Barring getting a completely shitty PS3 that doesn't do anything right, thanks a million to the OP.[/quote]
Congratulations! Yeah, $400 is way better than $500... Good thing the OP didn't say, "Oh gosh, someone probably already posted about this...", huh? :)

No, I don't think they're desperate to sell these or anything. I think they probably honestly do just have the one left in stock, and honestly I'm a little sad that I'm not buying it.

Maybe it's karma here, too, getting me to wait, though I don't know why. I don't think there will be anymore price dropping anytime soon.

Like the name (Dark Cecil), by the way... Can't wait for the DS remake of FFIV. I pre-purchased the Japanese version.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Congratulations! Yeah, $350 is way better than $500... Good thing the OP didn't say, "Oh gosh, someone probably already posted about this...", huh? :)

No, I don't think they're desperate to sell these or anything. I think they probably honestly do just have the one left in stock, and honestly I'm a little sad that I'm not buying it.

Maybe it's karma here, too, getting me to wait, though I don't know why. I don't think there will be anymore price dropping anytime soon.

Like the name (Dark Cecil), by the way... Can't wait for the DS remake of FFIV. I pre-purchased the Japanese version.[/quote]

Nope, it's not an accurate reflection of what they actually have in stock... I just bought one and the product page still shows the 'one left'.

[quote name='epheph']Nope, it's not an accurate reflection of what they actually have in stock... I just bought one and the product page still shows the 'one left'.[/quote]
Wow! That's a little misleading, huh? That kind of annoys me.

Congrats on the PS3, though. I suppose if I end up deciding I want one, that's when they really *will* be out of stock!

Did you guys know PS3 software doesn't have territorial lock-out? I think that's pretty great. So we can play Japanese games on our US systems and vice versa. PS2/1 software and DVDs/Blu-Rays are still locked to their regions, though.

Thanks! 100$ is a huge amount to me, as I shouldn't really be spending anything to begin with. I took a semester off college and had held off really buying anything...steadily depositing my checks one after the other. But ps2 backwards compatibility is a must for me...and I figure I just had to jump now. Sony's stupid decision of screwing over bc is almost unforgivable...almost.

@Jesse_Dylan

Yea, I am stoked about the FFIV remake as well! I will have to steal , uh borrow ;), my friend's DS for a week when the game comes out. I played/beat FFIV for the first time 12 years ago and it was my first rpg, so tons of great memories for me.

About the ps3's region free status: icing on the cake should I ever have the funds/desire to import some hardcore japanese game(s)

In addition to the 60GBs from Amazon Warehouse, there are 4 80 GB PS3s in like new condition for $418.56. About an $80 discount.

80g retails for $499. 40g is $399.

[quote name='callmesteam']Isn't the 80g $399 as well? It's BC, easy to find, and comes with Motorstorm.[/quote]

Ugh...of course I just bought a used 20GB from GameStop last night for $349 + tax...ordered a 60GB from here and hoping it gets here soon! Need to return the 20GB within 7 days...

I have almost no interest in Motorstorm. Or Spider-man 3. Hmm. I guess I'm not their target audience when it comes to bundles, though. I have to wonder what Sony thinks it's doing in the North American territory this year. :/

I wonder if we'll keep seeing deals on various incarnations of the PS3? I sure hope so, because I'm definitely going to get one eventually. I just want to pick the right time to get the most bang for my buck. And the less buck I have to spend, the better. (Depending on how long I wait, maybe by the time I get one, Folklore, Ratchet, Uncharted and Warhawk will all be in the $20-30 range.)

[quote name='acey']Ugh...of course I just bought a used 20GB from GameStop last night for $349 + tax...ordered a 60GB from here and hoping it gets here soon! Need to return the 20GB within 7 days...[/quote]

Yeah, I personally can't stand Gamestop. Or Gamecrazy or any of those other con jobs. I mean, you can't fault them for running a business as profitably as possible, but... they aren't very good for the industry. Or us, in the long run.

Thanks for the heads up as I missed the previous thread. Been looking like crazy for a 60GB model since deciding to jump on the PS3 finally. I'll post an update on how the unit is once it arrives. Here's hoping they can ship this thing to me before Christmas although it'll probably take a miracle now with the weather being as crazy as it has been. Again, thanks for the deal!

I was in gamestop a few days ago, and a guy walked in and wanted to sell his 80BG PS3. He said his wife was making him sell it and they gave him like $250 if I remember correctly. I asked them after he left how much they would sell that one for and they said around $450 I think! WOW! What a rip off. If I had the cash on me at the time and knew this before the guy left I would have asked him if I could buy it from him for $260 or whatever. Amazing

The 60GB has the Emotion Engine which is used for backwards compatibility. The 80GB uses software emulation for backwards compatibility. It comes down to games they can/can't support. The 40GB has nothing. In terms of best to worst, 60GB > 80GB >>> 40GB. Not sure where the 20GB would lie here but I believe it would possibly be on par with the 40GB.

Edit: Sorry Jesse_Dylan, did not see your post on page 1 till just now.

[quote name='Konketsu']The 60GB has the Emotion Engine which is used for backwards compatibility. The 80GB uses software emulation for backwards compatibility. It comes down to games they can/can't support. The 40GB has nothing. In terms of best to worst, 60GB > 80GB >>> 40GB. Not sure where the 20GB would lie here but I believe it would possibly be on par with the 40GB.[/QUOTE]
The 20gb is on par with the 60gb since it also has the Emotion engine. I have not had any problems with any PS2 or PS1 games on my 20gb PS3.

[quote name='bbj77']I was in gamestop a few days ago, and a guy walked in and wanted to sell his 80BG PS3. He said his wife was making him sell it and they gave him like $250 if I remember correctly. I asked them after he left how much they would sell that one for and they said around $450 I think! WOW! What a rip off. If I had the cash on me at the time and knew this before the guy left I would have asked him if I could buy it from him for $260 or whatever. Amazing[/quote]

Hee hee, yeah, that's how they make their cash... The worst is when it comes to games. They get a huge chunk, the seller gets a little, the buyer hardly saves anything, and Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft and/or whoever the 3rd party developer is, gets nothing. A huge amount of revenue changes hands, but none of it does anything for the industry itself.

About the 20gb PS3, I didn't even realize that was on sale here in the States. Shows how much I know. It's confusing with all these different SKUs floating around. Sony is all over the map.

I personally think the hardware isn't the problem at all; maybe the price point isn't even the problem. I think the real difficulty is lack of good software. I wish the solution would be a steady flow of Japanese stuff translated into English (that would tickle me as a Japan buff), but that wouldn't do anything to attract what Sony considers the American hardcore market, the people who I guess buy 12 shooters per year (or at least Microsoft seems to think that), and as for the "casual" (so-called) market, maybe Sony is content to leave them to the Wii.

Unfortunately, even great games like Uncharted and Ratchet aren't selling, nor are they moving hardware. We may see a change with Metal Gear and Gran Turismo.

I still want that flood of quirky Japanese games.

I think Sony is having a hard time carving out a niche. Maybe they haven't decided what they want their niche to be (thus all the different hardware versions). Technically speaking, the multi-platform games should be much better on PS3 than Xbox 360, but we're seeing just the opposite. And thus, no one buys a PS3 for multiplatform games. So what are they buying it for? Blu-ray? Probably not. That's why, in addition to what's already out there for the PS3, we need more subtance. $40 English translations of weird Japanese stuff would sell me in a hurry. Other people? Dunno. But it wouldn't hurt to try. Ratchet and Uncharted didn't work.

Meanwhile the PSP is selling well, but people keep pirating games for it instead of buying them. :(

Thus is my depressing (for now) take on the industry.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't know. PS3 really should have a great future ahead of it, though, probably a very long one. I look forward to the years to come and hope it shapes up the way PS2 did a few years into its life cycle as an awesome platform for Japanese games. Where else are they gonna go? Not the 360. It's still not doing well in Japan, and the Wii is a different beast entirely.

Or maybe the Japanese are content to do their hardcore, non-first-party-Nintendo-gaming on portable systems.

I'm not gonna go back and edit this. :S Sorry if it makes no sense, but is anyone seriously going to read it?? ha!

This is tempting but honestly I will wait longer and hopefully I will come across a 60gb sooner or later. I am a patient person. If I can find one that is $300 and then work a way to get it cheaper I am there.

Yeah I know what I am asking is going to be hard to pull off, but like I said I am a patient person. :D

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Wow! That's a little misleading, huh? That kind of annoys me.

Congrats on the PS3, though. I suppose if I end up deciding I want one, that's when they really *will* be out of stock!

Did you guys know PS3 software doesn't have territorial lock-out? I think that's pretty great. So we can play Japanese games on our US systems and vice versa. PS2/1 software and DVDs/Blu-Rays are still locked to their regions, though.[/quote]

Yep, totally annoying, but at least the don't come right out and say "1 left"... They just make it seem like there's one item, and that's the one you're putting in your cart

To be honest, I don't even really want a PS3 right now, but since the one I want is the 60GB, I doubt it's going to be much too cheaper down the road, so I might as well have it now...

... So Sony actually got my business sooner because of an awful mistake they made with backward compability.

I am in for one. I figured I might as well jump on an okay deal for the 60 while I still can.

It seems like there are a number of them still in stock (not just 1 left). The system let me put 10 of them in my cart, and it is advertised on the front page of warehousedeals.com ("deal of the week").

[quote name='jmiller80']I am in for one. I figured I might as well jump on an okay deal for the 60 while I still can.

It seems like there are a number of them still in stock (not just 1 left). The system let me put 10 of them in my cart, and it is advertised on the front page of warehousedeals.com ("deal of the week").[/quote]

I'm tempted to get another 60 from Warehouse Deals since Overstock ended up cancelling my order on the 80gb w/ coupon. It seems like I'm not meant to have a PS3!

Just FYI: if you have a problem with your machine, they'll let you send it back for a refund within 30 days, but they won't do an exchange so you have to just reorder if they have them in stock.

[quote name='blueboy']I'm tempted to get another 60 from Warehouse Deals since Overstock ended up cancelling my order on the 80gb w/ coupon. It seems like I'm not meant to have a PS3!

Just FYI: if you have a problem with your machine, they'll let you send it back for a refund within 30 days, but they won't do an exchange so you have to just reorder if they have them in stock.[/quote]

So then I cant get my money back if I order one?

Yes, within 30 days. Although, I'm still waiting for my credit to come through, but I just mailed my machine back last week.

[quote name='blueboy']Yes, within 30 days. Although, I'm still waiting for my credit to come through, but I just mailed my machine back last week.[/quote]

Why did you send it back?
And im sure once they get the machine you'll get your money back in your credit card.

[quote name='JIGSAWjr']Why did you send it back?
And im sure once they get the machine you'll get your money back in your credit card.[/quote]

It made a very high pitched, very annoying humming sound at all times. It wasn't coming from the hardrive or blu-ray drive either. Sony advised me to send it back to Amazon.

[quote name='blueboy']It made a very high pitched, very annoying humming sound at all times. It wasn't coming from the hardrive or blu-ray drive either. Sony advised me to send it back to Amazon.[/quote]

Oh ok, because Im planning on purchasing one as well.
So I will get a FULL refund to my credit card in 30 days...
and
I have a one year warranty with Sony as well just in case?

bread's done
Back