Amazon Warehouse DOTW - PS3 (60GB) $399.99 OPEN BOX! (OOS)

animemaniac14

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Didn't know if anyone would find this a very good deal considering a lot of people don't like Amazon's warehouse subsidiary company...but since i know a lot (if not all) of the 60 gb are being phased out by sony (and they're the only units that have the best backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games)..i thought i'd jump on one. Dunno what they're warranty policy is..but if someone could post it that would be most excellent.

Link: http://www.warehousedeals.com/PlayStation-3-60GB/M/B0009VXAM0.htm

there are only 2 left..so if you want it...hurry

Oh and it's NOT eligible for Amazon prime or free standard super saver shipping :( but S&H is still $3.99 so not bad.

and if this is by some odd chance a repost...so sue me o_O

[quote name='SpikeSpiegel']Weren't some of the 60gb models produced without the emotion engine?[/QUOTE]

The PAL 60GB PS3 was manufactured without the hardware BC I believe but the US versions should all have the hardware BC.

Hey all,

Was just was reading the thread and wanted some clarification on the 60GB and the Sony Warranty? I have started to see the 60GB show up at GameStop as Refurbs and they do not have the Sony warranty, just the 30-Day from Gamestop. Is this also the case for the Amazon Warehouse 60GB as well? Does'nt this come down to whether or not the unit was "Registered" with Sony or not upon plugging in and turning on the unit etc.? Would love some clarification...Also does Sony charge a "Flat Fee" in the event I had to pay for service myself? Or can the cost vary depending on issue...???

[quote name='animemaniac14']mine shipped today...does anyone know where stuff from amazon's warehouse site ships from?[/quote]

I'd imagine it's like Amazon and has multiple locations

Well I was able to register my PS3 on Sony's website, so I'd imagine if someone had already registered it, it would have given me some kind of error. So I fully expect to receive the full warranty and the guy from Amazon said as much. However, the e-mail receipt I received from WHD clearly says "refurbished" in the item description... though the Amazon.com guy said that *everything* that ships from WHD says this because that is their main business.

[quote name='Travisimo']Well I was able to register my PS3 on Sony's website, so I'd imagine if someone had already registered it, it would have given me some kind of error. So I fully expect to receive the full warranty and the guy from Amazon said as much. However, the e-mail receipt I received from WHD clearly says "refurbished" in the item description... though the Amazon.com guy said that *everything* that ships from WHD says this because that is their main business.[/quote]

how long after your item shipped did it take you to receive your ps3?

I ordered a 60GB yesterday, picked Expedited shipping and I'll have it in Florida on Friday (yay!). Which means I only have to be without a PS3 for a day since I plan on returning my 20GB to Gamestop tomorrow. Just hoping it's in excellent condition now, but knowing Amazon's return policies I'm not too concerned if I need to send it back.

Mine shipped yesterday evening from Ohio. Even with standard shipping to ~DC, I should have it tomorrow Friday.

I bought one last night with Expedited shipping too, so hopefully it'll be here by Friday. Just curious, in the e-mail that you guys got saying that your system shipped, did it say New or Refurbished? My e-mail said New. Should I be excited, or am I gonna get a refurb anyway?

[quote name='Supreme']I bought one last night with Expedited shipping too, so hopefully it'll be here by Friday. Just curious, in the e-mail that you guys got saying that your system shipped, did it say New or Refurbished? My e-mail said New. Should I be excited, or am I gonna get a refurb anyway?[/quote]Mine says new also. I wouldn't get too excited though.

I just bought one from the orginal OP's link (1 minute ago).

There was only 1 left at the time.

I'd definately reccomend bookmarking and checking often if interested.

Mine came in earlier tonight. I was apalled at how badly the AMAZON shipping box was damaged, it was as if a pit bull had been unleashed on the thing. My friend who was with me literally gasped when he realized that what we were staring at on my driveway was actually a package meant for me. I was thinking about returning it right then and there. But I decided to press on.

The PS3 box itself was pretty beat up, but the contents inside seemed ok. A few of the plastic seals had been broken open and obviously reseasled. The system itself had one fairly noticeable scratch on the back, but other than that, somehow seemed more or less in pristine shape. The system itself acted just like my friend's ps3 did when he first got his for the initial "setup," so i guess it could technically be called a new system.

All in all, I guess as long as the system doesn't act up within 30 days, it'll be worth keeping around. The scratch on the system is a bit disappointing as the rest of the ps3 is so damn sleek, I guess I'll eventually learn to live with it. Going to go to the Sony website and sign up for the warranty coverage later tonight and see how that goes.

I guess based on the god awful packaging, I won't be ordering from Amazon Warehouse again any time soon, but the PS3 looks to be ok and the only way I'll be able to ever play my PS2 games with peace of mind on a PS3. Thanks again to the OP, I wish everyone better luck with the packaging/conditioning of their systems than I got with mine.

Rec'd my PS3 yesterday.

Ditto on the uncharacteristically poor packing job. One half of the box was open upon delivery because AMZN Warehouse Deals used one piece of tape and put it on crooked. Luckily the packing material kept everything covered up and safe.

The PS3 box itself was in good condition. Tamper-proof box seals were broken and replacements had been applied. The PS3 unit has some goo from a sticker and a few handprints, but otherwise looks new. Cables and manuals had not been opened or uncoiled. The PS3 functioned like a brand new unit during firmware update and registration. Blu-ray playback and RFoM play seemed fine.

I had some data loss when running at 1080p (single pixel artifacts on certain color gradations at the XMB and during Blu-ray playback). This problem may be due to the Westinghouse TV, the monoprice HDMI cable, or maybe the settings. I will test next week to confirm it's not from the PS3. 1080i and 720p both look great with no problems.

[quote name='jmiller80']Rec'd my PS3 yesterday.

Ditto on the uncharacteristically poor packing job. One half of the box was open upon delivery because AMZN Warehouse Deals used one piece of tape and put it on crooked. Luckily the packing material kept everything covered up and safe.

The PS3 box itself was in good condition. Tamper-proof box seals were broken and replacements had been applied. The PS3 unit has some goo from a sticker and a few handprints, but otherwise looks new. Cables and manuals had not been opened or uncoiled. The PS3 functioned like a brand new unit during firmware update and registration. Blu-ray playback and RFoM play seemed fine.

I had some data loss when running at 1080p (single pixel artifacts on certain color gradations at the XMB and during Blu-ray playback). This problem may be due to the Westinghouse TV, the monoprice HDMI cable, or maybe the settings. I will test next week to confirm it's not from the PS3. 1080i and 720p both look great with no problems.[/quote]

unfortunately, i won't be able to test mine until sunday. But im guessing that your problem with the pixels is a result of your westinghouse (i think they've been known to have those problems..). But i should order a HDMI cable from Monoprice...course ill just grab an extra one i should have lying around somewhere hopefully. but hopefully it is not damaged like everyone else's when i get it.

[quote name='animemaniac14']But im guessing that your problem with the pixels is a result of your westinghouse (i think they've been known to have those problems..). [/QUOTE]

After two years with this TV, that was my first thought. (I have some experience with another firmware bug on the TV.) That Westinghouse is such a quirky display. The 360 displays fine at 1080p over component, and my computer displayed fine at 1920x1080 over DVI. A few Google searches turned up a "speckle" problem with the lvm-42w2 and PS3 @1080p over HDMI:

http://www.playstation-3-forums.com/1080p-problem-ps3-or-my-tv
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=689997&pp=30&page=241

That sounds exactly like my problem -- probably another Westy firmware or hardware bug. The TV is out of warranty, so I'll have to *suffer* with 1080i/720p. ;) I was planning to upgrade my display in a year or so anyway.

Thanks for the updates guys on the condition of the unit after the arrival...I missed the boat on getting my order in on time, but it is nice to hear the follow up on the condition of the unit upon arrival...So sounds like they were just "Opened Box" Return, and items shipped back due to various reasons etc...$399 is not bad if the unit performs as expected....Were there any warranty cards included? Or manuals?

[quote name='User7007']...I missed the boat on getting my order in on time[/quote]

As I mentioned above, I grabbed one yesterday. I assume they'll be trickeling in, so perhaps you didn't miss out.

Well, I got my PS3, but I can't play it right now since I'm getting no video output through the A/V cable (hopefully it is the A/V cable and not the system). I contacted them to try to just get a new cable sent to me instead of returning the whole damn system. In the mean time, I'll go to Walmart tomorrow to pick up a another A/V cable.

Thanks Warehousedeals for inspecting your crap before shipping it out. :applause::roll:

Got my PS3 today at about 6PM. The shipping box looked decent, although one side was flimsy and sort of dented in (when I picked it up, it looked like the box had a slipcover). The retail box has some scratches and scuffs, but that's about it. All the baggies inside were sealed (except the controller). The console itself was SPOTLESS, not one damn scratch or fingerprint on it. I set it up (shit takes forever, I ate dinner and took a shit before the damn thing finished) and everything is running smooth at 1080i via HDMI. Thanks again OP for posting this, my PS3 search is finally over.

Oh btw, my receipt doesn't mention the system being refurbished. So I'm gonna give the Blu Ray offer a try.

Well, just got off of the phone with Amazon about the problem in my above reply. They credited me the cost of a PS3 A/V cable from Amazon. Still sucks, but at least they resolved it nicely.

Question to those of you who have recevied your systems:

Did they place white stickers over the UPC's on the top of the PS3 box? I jumped on this deal a while back when they first were offering them and mine has white stickers over the UPC's but was pretty much as you guys described otherwise.

If I remember correctly, I had two stickers placed above the upc in need for the blu ray promotion (they peeled off pretty easily) and one additional orangish/yellow sticker elsewhere placed randomly.

Does anyone know if there are supposed to be two parallel line type of slits above the "power button" you use your finger for to turn the ps3 on? Sort of etched in, I couldn't tell if those were scratches or made by design. Hoping it's the latter.

Btw, to the poster who said everything was sealed except the sixaxis controller, the sixaxis controller is never sealed, it seems. My best friend bought a retail 40 gb last night and the plastic sleeve housing the controller was not taped/sealed in any way. Congrats, it seems like you truly got a 100% brand new system minus the quality of the box.

[quote name='Travisimo']Question to those of you who have recevied your systems:

Did they place white stickers over the UPC's on the top of the PS3 box? I jumped on this deal a while back when they first were offering them and mine has white stickers over the UPC's but was pretty much as you guys described otherwise.[/quote]Mine had some stickers also, but like the poster above mentioned, they are easy to peal off.

I got mine yesterday but unfortunately it has a loud high-pitched whine anytime the system is on...going to contact Sony to see what they'll do as otherwise the system is working fine.

[quote name='acey']I got mine yesterday but unfortunately it has a loud high-pitched whine anytime the system is on...going to contact Sony to see what they'll do as otherwise the system is working fine.[/QUOTE]

acey-- Sounds like you got blueboy's unit.

[quote name='blueboy']Well, I bought one from Warehouse Deals during the last sale batch, and I've since returned it due to a constant high pitched noise it was making. I hope they aren't trying to resell the unit I sent them back.

Everything about the unit looked and worked fine except for the noise.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='acey']I got mine yesterday but unfortunately it has a loud high-pitched whine anytime the system is on...going to contact Sony to see what they'll do as otherwise the system is working fine.[/quote]
That's exactly the problem I had with mine. Sony told me they would replace it with a different Sony refurbished unit, but they suggested sending it back to Amazon for a refund which I ended up doing.

I hope you really didn't get my unit since I still haven't been issued a refund, plus that would be idiotic of them to send it back out after I notified them of the problem with the unit.

will post how my tests go as soon as i get back from nashville tomorrow..tho from what my parents report...the box is pretty beat up (the one that contained the box for the ps3) so i am going to try to be optimistic...will sony really replace the ps3 if i call em and tell em that it doesn't work (given that it actually doesn't work) ?

[quote name='darkcecil32']Does anyone know if there are supposed to be two parallel line type of slits above the "power button" you use your finger for to turn the ps3 on? Sort of etched in, I couldn't tell if those were scratches or made by design. Hoping it's the latter.[/quote]I have that also. If it isn't there by design, it is some concidience that we both have them, lol.

[quote name='blueboy']That's exactly the problem I had with mine. Sony told me they would replace it with a different Sony refurbished unit, but they suggested sending it back to Amazon for a refund which I ended up doing.

I hope you really didn't get my unit since I still haven't been issued a refund, plus that would be idiotic of them to send it back out after I notified them of the problem with the unit.[/quote]

Blueboy, you should do a PM to see if he has the same serial number as the one you have (assuming you still have it written down somewhere). That would be VERY shady if they were selling it again after you returned it.

My box has a yellow sticker over the UPC. The serial number and the sticker above it don't have stickers over them though. The orange sticker is just placed randomly around that area.

[quote name='darkcecil32']
Btw, to the poster who said everything was sealed except the sixaxis controller, the sixaxis controller is never sealed, it seems. My best friend bought a retail 40 gb last night and the plastic sleeve housing the controller was not taped/sealed in any way. Congrats, it seems like you truly got a 100% brand new system minus the quality of the box.[/quote]
Oh, figured it would be sealed. Thanks for letting me know. I do think my controller was used though. There's a little bit of grime between the cracks on the edge. I think I'm probably just gonna import a DS3 and sell the Sixaxis. This thing is way too light.

acey, how long did you have your system on? Did you leave it on for a bit after the update? My system was kinda loud at first but after a while, the noise went to about the level of the original PS2's fans.

A bit off topic, but one time I took a CD burner back to Sears because something was wrong with it and they put a yellow sticker on it, marked it down 100 bucks or so and put it on the shelf. All while I was waiting for my refund. :roll:

got mine today. The package was in OK shape...the PS3 box looked a little banged up but there didn't appear to be any cosmetic damage to the PS3 or the accessories. The only thing i really noticed that was wrong with it was the PS3 wireless controller had the L and R buttons smashed down and the controller was dented pretty bad. Oh yes, and the A/V cables didn't work, so im gonna call em tomorrow and see if i can get credit for the dented PS3 controller and the A/V cables. The HDMI works fine tho, and the system wasn't noisy at all. The bar codes and UPC on the box were covered in tape but i managed to successfully salvage most of what it was covering...hope it will be enough to get my 5 free blu-ray discs :whistle2:D

The PS3 has been left on for more than 5 or 6 hours over the past few days and it still makes the same whining noise. I called Sony yesterday and they're going to have me send in the PS3 (at their cost) and will send me a refurbished unit to replace it. Sounds like the whole process of them sending me a box, returning it, and them sending me the new one will take a couple of weeks but if I can get a working 60GB PS3 without a whining noise I'll be happy...still a good deal in my opinion.

[quote name='Supreme']

acey, how long did you have your system on? Did you leave it on for a bit after the update? My system was kinda loud at first but after a while, the noise went to about the level of the original PS2's fans.[/quote]
Wow, it sounds like yours has issues. My PS3 is very very quiet. The fans kick up a notch when I'm playing a game for a while, but it's still quiet enough where you don't really notice it. My original PS2 on the other hand was always loud, and the sound of that thing always bugged me. The PS3 should not be anywhere near as loud as the original ps2's. If you have any of the airways on the unit covered or even partially blocked the PS3 will get loud.

The only time my PS3 ever got really loud was when my wife closed the doors on the cabinet that houses my PS3 and then put a movie on for the kids and left for work. I was awakened to what I thought was my five year old vacuuming downstairs. I went down and couldn't believe that my quiet little PS3 sounding like vacuum, or more specificially, it sounded like an airplane about to take off. It was LOUD. So if your PS3 is as loud as the original PS2, then it's not working right. You'll hear the fans when you power up the PS3, but it should be a very quiet, very mellow sound. It shouldn't have any high frequencies in it, and honestly it should be VERY quiet.

There have been reports of loud fans on PS3s, which I've always heard meant it's malfunctioning and there's a problem with a censor or with the fan itself.

Just got mine in earlier today and unfortunately all is not well. The shipping box was in good shape, however, the PS3 box was pretty dinged up. Also, it looks like the unit is a return because the system had a profile setup already and someone had cut the UPC off of the box.

So I don't get to pick from some crummy movies, no biggie. However, once I plugged the system in, it prompts for an update. Start that going and go to make some lunch. After the system is done, I attempt to put in the brand new Planet Earth blu ray to see how it would look. Hmmm, disc will not go in. Strange, is there a disc already in the tray? I go to hit the eject button, and am greeted with this buzzing sound which was a big old warning sign. After a few more tries, the machine finally spits out a blu ray copy of The League of extraordinary Gentlemen.

Well, bonus I guess... although that sound wasn't too encouraging and it's a pretty crappy movie. So I go to put my Planet Earth in, and the system makes an attempt at reading the disc, but goes on to make a little grindy noise, then stops. Oh crap. Sure enough, I try putting in DVDs, the copy of Ratchet, CoD4, PS2 games. Nothing will read as the disc drive tries to spin it up to no avail. Everything else about the system works apparently except the one thing I want it to do, spin up the disc drive to play games!

Tried calling Sony Support but it seems even big corporations gotta celebrate the Yuletide. Here's hoping I can get this thing either repaird through Sony or get Amazon to ship me another one. I'm glad a lot of people were able to get their PS3s in working condition but unfortunately I guess I picked up the lemon.

[quote name='Millbuddah']JTried calling Sony Support but it seems even big corporations gotta celebrate the Yuletide. Here's hoping I can get this thing either repaird through Sony or get Amazon to ship me another one. I'm glad a lot of people were able to get their PS3s in working condition but unfortunately I guess I picked up the lemon.[/quote]

Well that's a bummer! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience... looks like this deal is going to be YMMV with regards to the quality of the received hardware. So far, mine is working great but now I'm a bit worried that Sony might not honor these units with the full 1-year warranty. I don't really care that I can't get on the 5 free Bluray deal, but I do want to make sure I am covered if something goes wrong within the warranty period.

I just received mine today, and all seems to be fine. The Amazon shipping box was in awful shape and there was very little padding inside. (does anyone know why so many of these had damanged shipping boxes?)... However, the system is quiet, everything was plastic wrapped, no fingerprints or pre-existing profiles. Looks like I've dodged a bullet, but I'm still keeping an eye on it.

Update:
Finally managed to get through to a Sony rep today and they're sending me a coffin to ship the PS3 to them. It was a surprisingly easy process and I'm hoping the unit they ship me will last me a good long time. Anyone else that are having problems with their unit should definitely give them a call and see what they can do. It did take about 20 minutes of calling the number, hitting 0 for a rep, then having to call them back because their call line is very busy so keep at it. In any case, I'm just glad to have gotten a hold of the 60GB PS3 and can't wait to get some game on, especially the $37 Assassin's Creed and CoD4 I picked up thanks to the BB sale posted.

See I'm still planning on buying a 60gb PS3 when I have the money for it. Backwards compatability is important to me. While of course I'd like to have a new one, it seems like with all these bad experiences I was thinking about spending like $400-$450 on a used PS3 on craigslist but that's in very good shape. What do you all think?

I figure I can at least check out the unit and if it looks jacked up, I just won't buy it. Hopefully they really have only used it sparingly and aren't tryin to sell me a brick in a box.

[quote name='ACGamer']See I'm still planning on buying a 60gb PS3 when I have the money for it. Backwards compatability is important to me. While of course I'd like to have a new one, it seems like with all these bad experiences I was thinking about spending like $400-$450 on a used PS3 on craigslist but that's in very good shape. What do you all think?

I figure I can at least check out the unit and if it looks jacked up, I just won't buy it. Hopefully they really have only used it sparingly and aren't tryin to sell me a brick in a box.[/quote]

You should go to the official site and see how many of your games will work with an 80GB model. If I were buying a PS3, now, I'd rather get a brand new one with Motorstorm and be able to send in for the free BR movies. Now, if a lot of your favorite, older games don't work, you might want to look into the other avenue.

Just wanted to follow-up on my warranty fix with Sony. My 60GB PS3 that I purchased from Warehouse Deals was making a loud constant whine whenever the system was on, regardless of what it was doing. I sent in my PS3 a couple of weeks ago (in a Sony-provided box) after contacting tech support and received it back within a week completely fixed. It's silent now except for the normal fan noise that kicks on when it gets warm. They also extended the warranty 90 days. I believe they even gave me a brand-new controller and cables to replace the used ones I sent in. Overall I was really impressed with their service and am happy to have a quiet PS3.

bread's done
Back