AMAZON Xbox 360 Console 20GB Hard Drive w/ HDMI $349.99 Confirmed Newest In Stock...

I just saw this on Amazon too. I'm still not sure if I should wait for a better deal or the 65nm chips. I'm starting to doubt the new chips will make them much more reliable than the zephyr board premiums.

[quote name='Megalith']I'd wait.

They're obviously just white Elites; MS trying to get rid of the current board and chip sets.[/quote] hopefully they get in the quieter chips before next year

[quote name='thunderx85']hopefully they get in the quieter chips before next year[/QUOTE]

Quieter chips? lmao!

Its the DVD drive spinning that causes the noise. These new HDMI enabled models have the BenQ drive which from reports is pretty damn quiet.

Its the fan that causes the noise man. The fan wont have to have such a high rpm if the chip is smaller and causing less heat. Lower rpm usually means lower db.

So yes, the new chips will make the 360 quieter.

The component that produces the most noise from the Xbox 360 is the DVD drive. If you think it's the fans, find a buddy with a 360 and listen while it plays an XBLA game from the hard drive and compare it to when it loads a game off a DVD. You'll see for yourself that the DVD player is far louder than the fans.

[quote name='guyver2077']if these are white elites... then you have nothing to worry about.. my elites been solid[/quote]

i know some one who has a launch 360 and its been great ever since, so every one should stop worrying about then failing since nothing will go wrong

[quote name='Quetza1']The component that produces the most noise from the Xbox 360 is the DVD drive. If you think it's the fans, find a buddy with a 360 and listen while it plays an XBLA game from the hard drive and compare it to when it loads a game off a DVD. You'll see for yourself that the DVD player is far louder than the fans.[/QUOTE]

I used to think it was the fans but it is the DVD drive that makes the most noise on the 360.

[quote name='chodax']i know some one who has a launch 360 and its been great ever since, so every one should stop worrying about then failing since nothing will go wrong[/quote]

Tell that to the est. 250,000 people that turned in their Xbox 360s for repair. I personally sent in 2 (about to be 3) and my buddy turned in 7. No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Your buddy is just lucky. There are about 10-20 broken xbox 360 added to ebay everyday, most with 3ROL.

Mine was made (according to the back of my 36) on May 31, 2006. I bought it around the beginning of this year. The only time I've experienced any problems was it wouldn't boot up while having that shitty Nyko external fan attached. Removing it gets it back to normal.

[quote name='neushane']Tell that to the est. 250,000 people that turned in their Xbox 360s for repair. I personally sent in 2 (about to be 3) and my buddy turned in 7. No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Your buddy is just lucky. There are about 10-20 broken xbox 360 added to ebay everyday, most with 3ROL.[/quote]

You might want to check your sarcasm meter.

[quote name='neushane']Tell that to the est. 250,000 people that turned in their Xbox 360s for repair. I personally sent in 2 (about to be 3) and my buddy turned in 7. No offense, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Your buddy is just lucky. There are about 10-20 broken xbox 360 added to ebay everyday, most with 3ROL.[/QUOTE]

My brother's 360 just died 3 days ago after 8 months of use. He made sure to take extra care of it and it still broke. It was never turned or played it in the vertical postion, and it was kept in an cool open area of an well air conditioned room. A buddy of mine on Xbox LIVE sent in 6 for repair. I know alot of others have sent in 2-3 units for repair, and some that have had their system for a year and longer with no problems.

I guess the most important thing to remember if you make a 360 purchase right now, atleast there is the new 3 year warranty in place. Some 360 buyer started with 90 day warranties, these units have theHDMI port, a quieter drive with a $50 premium drop.

So how does HDMI video / optical audio work on these new premiums? Is the dongle included or do you have to have the bulky analog cable in and run optical from that?

I did a search for this Xbox 360 w/HDMI on amazon and did not find it, it just comes up with the old one, now being sold by J&R. What are you guys typing in to find the one w/HDMI?

I know the link for it is on the OP post but I wanted to know why it was not coming up in a search and how anyone found it in the first place.

Wow. I didn't want to get into this gen of consoles, but with rockband looking so god damn good, and a 360 with HDMI for $350.....

Im hoping mine will last until I can bring it i. I have a gamecrazy's product replacement plan, so when it breaks I'll snag one of the new machines with the smaller chip and hdmi.

pwnd

[quote name='MetalGator']So how does HDMI video / optical audio work on these new premiums? Is the dongle included or do you have to have the bulky analog cable in and run optical from that?[/quote]

My guess is yes, you'd probably have to do that. I'm not sure if it would let you play sound from once source though while video from HDMI. Out of curiosity, why not just play the digital audio through the HDMI?

[quote name='MetalGator']So how does HDMI video / optical audio work on these new premiums? Is the dongle included or do you have to have the bulky analog cable in and run optical from that?[/quote]My guess is that they should include the dongle with this unit, like they do with the Elite. It wouldn't make any sense to not include the dongle for one type of HDMI system and not for the other.

[quote name='kevlar51']My guess is yes, you'd probably have to do that. I'm not sure if it would let you play sound from once source though while video from HDMI. Out of curiosity, why not just play the digital audio through the HDMI?[/QUOTE]

My home theater receiver isn't HDMI compatible. I don't like using the TV for sound

[quote name='shrike4242']It wouldn't make any sense to not include the dongle for one type of HDMI system and not for the other.[/quote]

Sure it does. Just how the Premium was a better deal than Core + all the equivalent extra bits, they want to make sure that the Elite is the best deal for those that want HDMI, since the cable will run you another $50, at which point you are right back at $400, so you might as well spend the extra money for the HDD space. Makes perfect sense to me.

[quote name='DX']Quieter chips? lmao!

Its the DVD drive spinning that causes the noise. These new HDMI enabled models have the BenQ drive which from reports is pretty damn quiet.[/QUOTE]

From other threads, it sounds like it's still a lottery as to which drive you get, even on the new units. They're still using three drives, two of which are crazy loud.

[quote name='Ribkage']Its the fan that causes the noise man. The fan wont have to have such a high rpm if the chip is smaller and causing less heat. Lower rpm usually means lower db.

So yes, the new chips will make the 360 quieter.[/QUOTE]

I guess thousands of others have already responded to this...but this is bogus. The 360's fan noise isn't THAT bad. It's a lot louder than the PS3 or Wii, but it's still within reason. It's the DVD drive that makes it sound like a blender. I can't hear my computer over that thing, and have to turn up my TV's volume from where I normally would have it.

[quote name='splintercell']Sure it does. Just how the Premium was a better deal than Core + all the equivalent extra bits, they want to make sure that the Elite is the best deal for those that want HDMI, since the cable will run you another $50, at which point you are right back at $400, so you might as well spend the extra money for the HDD space. Makes perfect sense to me.[/quote]
Uh, that dongle isn't $50, as there's no dollar value attached to it. And if they didn't include it, they'd make it available for sale separately, which they haven't, at this stage of the game. Using the included cable would make for a mess with optical cabling or RCA cabling for audio.

At this point, the Elite is a Premium w/100GB extra space + black paint job + black accessories + included HDMI cable.

[quote name='shrike4242']Uh, that dongle isn't $50, as there's no dollar value attached to it. And if they didn't include it, they'd make it available for sale separately, which they haven't, at this stage of the game.[/quote]

I thought in one of these pricedrop/HDMI/Halo3 edition threads there was a quote from somewhere that said that the "official" HDMI cable - with the audio box - would cost $50 as a separate product. To me that seems very realistic, given the pricing on other MS accessories, and the fact that the Halo3 360 doesn't seem to come with an HDMI cable. And if that's the case, there needs to be a way for owners to get that audio box like the Elite folks do, hence a separate cable. After all, they make other cables as separate accessories to, so why not this one.

[quote name='splintercell']I thought in one of these pricedrop/HDMI/Halo3 edition threads there was a quote from somewhere that said that the "official" HDMI cable - with the audio box - would cost $50 as a separate product. To me that seems very realistic, given the pricing on other MS accessories, and the fact that the Halo3 360 doesn't seem to come with an HDMI cable. And if that's the case, there needs to be a way for owners to get that audio box like the Elite folks do, hence a separate cable. After all, they make other cables as separate accessories to, so why not this one.[/quote]I'll believe it when it's out.

Someone that buys one can report if the dongle is in the box or not.

[quote name='Filbert']I just saw this on Amazon too. I'm still not sure if I should wait for a better deal or the 65nm chips. I'm starting to doubt the new chips will make them much more reliable than the zephyr board premiums.[/quote]

You are "starting to doubt" based on what exactly?
65nm chips by definition run much cooler than 90nm chips, emit less heat, use less electrcity, and are guaranteed far less likely to suffer glitches caused by heat.

[quote name='Megalith']I'd wait.

They're obviously just white Elites; MS trying to get rid of the current board and chip sets.[/quote]

Nonsense. Thy can't be white Elites.
Ummm...Elites come with 120 GB hard drives. The Pro HDMI's come with 20 GB hard drives.
Plus the Elites were sold out for over 2 months after launch, untill very recently. Microsoft don't need to "get rid" of them as you put it.

[quote name='neushane']Tell that to the est. 250,000 people that turned in their Xbox 360s for repair. .[/quote]

With an estimated 12 million 360's sold, 250,00 returned 360's works out at approx 2%.
That leaves the overwhelming majority of 360 owners happily enjoying their 360's.
Bought mine on day one in November 2005, and haven't had even one problem with it.

Its random with the type of drive?!!? is that confirmed or just a rumor?? So far ive spoken with 1 person and they have the ben q drive. Anyone else confirm of deny this?!?

[quote name='marcin1786']Its random with the type of drive?!!? is that confirmed or just a rumor?? So far ive spoken with 1 person and they have the ben q drive. Anyone else confirm of deny this?!?[/quote]

Im anxiously awaiting the answer to this question. Im really hoping theyre not all the new BenQ drives.

[quote name='SmithyJ']With an estimated 12 million 360's sold, 250,00 returned 360's works out at approx 2%.
That leaves the overwhelming majority of 360 owners happily enjoying their 360's.
Bought mine on day one in November 2005, and haven't had even one problem with it.[/quote]

I just threw that number out there. I am sure it is much higher or M$ would have never changed their policy. My point was just that a lot of people had turned their systems in for repairs and the poster was saying there was no problems. From what I have read on other boards, you should consider yourself lucky.

Took some time to look and here you go:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7892

I ordered one this morning with 2 day shipping. I'll be getting it Thursday probably. If you need anything answered when I get it, just ask. I don't really know about Xbox360 so you'll have to explain what I have to do.

[quote name='SmithyJ']Nonsense. Thy can't be white Elites.
Ummm...Elites come with 120 GB hard drives. The Pro HDMI's come with 20 GB hard drives.
Plus the Elites were sold out for over 2 months after launch, untill very recently. Microsoft don't need to "get rid" of them as you put it.[/QUOTE]

He just means they have the elite mother board in them. i.e. they want to clear out those mother boards, so they can get the new falcon motherboards/cpus in all new consoles ASAP.

That has no bearing on the bigger harddrive etc (especially since that just snaps on the system).

bread's done
Back