Amazon: Yakuza 2 (ps2) $20

Oh I hear so many great things about this game especially from noobtoob. What a way to add on to my already growing backlog of games lol

I am going to tell everyone to buy this game at this price. You will not be disappointed unless you just hate fun and in that case stay away.

Absolutely great game for a bargain price. Paid $30 when it was first released, and it's more than worth it.

I hope that Yakuza 3 comes stateside!

Has anyone played this on an HDTV on a PS3? I got the old school 60GB model and really wanna give this a try, but I'm not sure how its gonna look on my HDTV

[quote name='duffman2k7']Has anyone played this on an HDTV on a PS3? I got the old school 60GB model and really wanna give this a try, but I'm not sure how its gonna look on my HDTV[/QUOTE]

It'll look just fine. PS3 upscales PS2 games.

Hm, I'm guessing this didn't make Greatest Hits did it? I'm kind of anal for aesthetics, and a big red PS2 part looks so bad next to 50+ black ones. I want to get this game, but I don't know whether to bite at $20 (maybe throw in some RealTriggers for PS3 to get super saver) or wait for a used coupon for PS2 stuff at GS and get it for about $14.

[quote name='duffman2k7']Has anyone played this on an HDTV on a PS3? I got the old school 60GB model and really wanna give this a try, but I'm not sure how its gonna look on my HDTV[/QUOTE]

It has widescreen support IIRC, so it looks better than most PS2 games on an HDTV.

[quote name='Nirron']Hm, I'm guessing this didn't make Greatest Hits did it? I'm kind of anal for aesthetics, and a big red PS2 part looks so bad next to 50+ black ones. I want to get this game, but I don't know whether to bite at $20 (maybe throw in some RealTriggers for PS3 to get super saver) or wait for a used coupon for PS2 stuff at GS and get it for about $14.[/QUOTE]

Not only will it not sell anywhere near enough to become GH, it was released pretty recently.

[quote name='SDC']Not only will it not sell anywhere near enough to become GH, it was released pretty recently.[/quote]

Well, I knew it hadn't sold well, but I figured if Disgaea and Okami can go GH, then Yakuza could as well (and would coincide with its price drop to $20). And holy crap, I knew it had been released recently, but I didn't realize it was less than 6 months ago in NA.

I rented. Still wait till it drop down $10 or less :) Yakuza 3 is coming out soon in Japan i wonder where and what happened to Yakuza = samurai game for ps3 ?

[quote name='Masterkyo']I rented. Still wait till it drop down $10 or less :) Yakuza 3 is coming out soon in Japan i wonder where and what happened to Yakuza = samurai game for ps3 ?[/QUOTE]

Kenzan (Samurai game) came out a while back in Japan. I kind of doubt it'll get released over here, which is a shame 'cause the demo was pretty cool.

Yakuza was a little too repetitive for my taste. And it had some pretty big flaws, but hell I really liked the story and would gladly purchase this game at this amazing price...but with my current backlog, I think I will have to wait until it gets cheaper.

[quote name='SDC']Kenzan (Samurai game) came out a while back in Japan. I kind of doubt it'll get released over here, which is a shame 'cause the demo was pretty cool.[/quote]

I hope that, and Way of the Samurai 3 comes stateside. We're severely lacking in Samurai games but overflowing with FPS.

I'll probably pick this up even though I never finish the first, even if only just to support the series and in hopes of getting part 3 here.

This game is absurdly fantastic. I bought it at full price and don't regret it at all. It was already a steal at $29.99.

If the sequel, which is worth buying a PS3 for alone, doesn't come here, it's a travesty. (I want the side-story set in feudal Japan to release here, too!)

Oh man, this and God Hand...should I do it? Reason to dust off the PS2 (and finish Yakuza 1....and start Persona 3...and)

Bought this new when it released but lost the copy when my PS3 (launch 60GB) went tits up (dead power supply) with this game in it. Game was a f*cking blast and i was on a second playthrough when it happened.

Been waiting for a sub $20 price to pick up another copy, just need to find something else i want to buy to round it out for free shipping.

[quote name='duffman2k7']Has anyone played this on an HDTV on a PS3? I got the old school 60GB model and really wanna give this a try, but I'm not sure how its gonna look on my HDTV[/quote]

It's gonna look like any other PS2 game basically, maybe a tad bit better. Although for some reason, some of the cutscenes looks really bad (talkin VHS quality) but thats only a few of the cutscenes (mainly the intro from what I can remember and maybe the flashbacks). They're still watchable though.

Anyway it's a great game and for 20$ I think anyone should get this. Even the first one which was available almost everywhere is hard to find is worth more than 20$ at this moment. This second one which was released so stealthily is a definite future hidden gem that many gon wants their hands on. Especially if they're gonna bring Yakuza 3 over. Trust me when I say that even if you don't like the game, it'll be worth more in the future.

[quote name='Warpath01']is this series anything like shenmue?? Should i play 1 before 2?? are the stories related?[/QUOTE]
Kind of, yes, and yes. No QTE's, but you do walk around Japan beating the piss out of people.

Yakuza 2 is well worth $20, bought it launch for $30, best $30 spent last year. It does give you a back story of the first, but misses a lot of details. Highly recommend playing 1st one before 2nd one. Favorite parts were cage fights, first time punching a lion a in the face was awesome.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Absolutely great game for a bargain price. Paid $30 when it was first released, and it's more than worth it.

I hope that Yakuza 3 comes stateside![/quote]
Yakuza 3 is coming out stateside! I believe the last qtr of 2009. I have to finish the first one. I have the second one also. Lemme ask you guys, do they drop the F-Bomb as many times as they did in the first game? Because I think they were on par with Christian Bale.

I have a couple of questions before jumping on this. I've glossed over the descripion/plot introduction to these games(trying to avoid the spoilers), and I still am not sure exactly what kind of game this is?

Is it kind of like an "epic tale" in terms of story of the main characters revenge? What does the gameplay consist of? My instincts tell me dialogue and brawler-based combat, but I just want to make sure what I'm getting into before I buy 2 in a series.

And yes, I have read the reviews, but to be honest, I'm still confused and I value the comments of a fellow gamer a lot more than someone paid to review games for some reason.

Story for first game goes like this, you take the blame for killing someone, go to jail for a decade, everyone triess to kill you cause they think you murdered that person, you find a girl looking for her mother, you help her out and story escalates further. There are a lot of plot twists in this game, but are for the better, plot unfolds itself in a proper manner through cutscenes, you get attached to the characters.

Second game takes place a year after the first, character comes back to prevent an all out war from happening. You get to know more about characters from the 1st game and meet new ones.

Gameplay primarily consists of random street brawls, mainly hand combat, you can use weapons and items you find, use the enviroment, and can also do tag team moves. There are times where you have to go to meet people at certain places. You can do side quests that get unlocked as you progress through the game. You can play mini-games like arcade games, baseball, mahjong etc. You can play as a host or run your own host bar.

Each game will take about 20 hours to complete for the main story, more if you do side quests. You can also unlock boss battles, replay with upgrades and money.

Its like Shenmue but with more action, swears and more intended for a mature audience. If the gameplay doesn't work well for you, the story will.

This is a really good game on PS2. I bought the game at $30 and well worth it. Yakuza 3 is coming out in Japan. Please buy this game, and hope Yakuza 3 will make it to US for PS3

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Eh, I passed up both Yakuza 1 & 2 at the pawn shop. the reviews just don't seem that great.[/quote]

Both games are close to an 80 on metacritic (75 and 77, respectively). I'd say that's pretty good unless you only play games with 90+ ratings on there (in which case you're robbing yourself of some great gameplay experiences). You can't always trust the reviews when it comes to games, you have to play them for yourself. The two Yakuza games are great, I strongly reccommend them and it seems a lot of people in this thread would agree.

[quote name='Nirron']Hm, I'm guessing this didn't make Greatest Hits did it? I'm kind of anal for aesthetics, and a big red PS2 part looks so bad next to 50+ black ones. I want to get this game, but I don't know whether to bite at $20 (maybe throw in some RealTriggers for PS3 to get super saver) or wait for a used coupon for PS2 stuff at GS and get it for about $14.[/quote]

Just spend more time washing your hands and checking your Venetian blinds for straightness. The game cases won't bother you so much. :lol:

Thanks OP. Hopefully it'll remain this price for a bit since there isn't anything else I want (or am willing to pay for) right now.

Crap. I saw this during the 2.99 sale at HWV and didn't pick it up. I'm getting in now because of all the glowing reviews from CAG.

In for 1!

I gladly went ahead and purchased a copy. Being patient paid off, because I was about to breakdown and buy it for $30.

These are the games we should support. SEGA games have been getting the God Hand treatment all the way back to the Master System. It seems as if a lot of reviewers just have an agenda against SEGA. I'm not saying that all their games are great, but so many of their games that are very solid get completely unfair ratings. Some companies can release a flagship title rehash or just slap their company mascot on a game and bam 90% rating. Then you buy it an realize the game is 80% at best. It is very discouraging.

The majority of people who have played the first Yakuza will tell you it is one of the best games on the PS2 without question.

There is no reason to expect anything less of Yakuza 2.

bread's done
Back