AmazonBasics HDMI Cables - $6.99 / $7.99

Sorry for the n00b question, but is there a significant visual difference between one brand of HDMI cables vs. another?

[quote name='ryushe']Sorry for the n00b question, but is there a significant visual difference between one brand of HDMI cables vs. another?[/QUOTE]
Every study I have seen shows no difference between different brands of hdmi cables. Some may be more durable, but thats about it.

[quote name='bigkniff']Every study I have seen shows no difference between different brands of hdmi cables. Some may be more durable, but thats about it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I have found. Durability is the only difference between cable brands.

[quote name='zuldane']Exactly what I have found. Durability is the only difference between cable brands.[/QUOTE]

well.........and price

[quote name='bigkniff']Every study I have seen shows no difference between different brands of hdmi cables. Some may be more durable, but thats about it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zuldane']Exactly what I have found. Durability is the only difference between cable brands.[/QUOTE]So does that mean I should now call the cops and tell them there's a rapist known as MONSTER on the loose?

I also like, personally, the marketing of MONSTER surge protectors. Yeah, they have the "filters" but they also have $100 plus surge protectors/supressors rated for less than a $15 name-your-brand on Amazon(and the other brands tend to have a better equipment protection warranty).

I've never seen a difference in picture quality between cheap and moderately priced cables (I've never bought high-priced HDMI cables), but I have seen that some of the REALLY cheap cables ($1-$3 no-name brand that I picked up on Ebay) can have connection problems based on the connectors not fitting perfectly.

Meritline has HDMI cables for $3.59 w/free shipping. I've ordered six cables from them and other than somewhat slow shipping (which is hard to complain about since it's free and it comes all the way from Singapore) I've been perfectly satisfied.

I own a few of these cables they are great. Amazon marks them down to 2.99 every couple months, so if you dont need the cables right now I would just keep an eye out. I highly recommend these

[quote name='ryushe']So does that mean I should now call the cops and tell them there's a rapist known as MONSTER on the loose?[/QUOTE]

A lot of people ALLOW themselves to be raped by this MONSTER... That is their problem

And I use these amazon ones for everything in my home theater that uses HDMI.. I use 3 of the... One from the cable box, one from the ps3, and both of those plug into the receiver and then 1 from the receiver to the TV... They all work beautifully

[quote name='ryushe']So does that mean I should now call the cops and tell them there's a rapist known as MONSTER on the loose?[/QUOTE]
you cant rape the willing. people like to have the fancy cables to show them off

Monoprice is the way to go. You can buy many "cheap" cables for the same price of one expensive one. Assuming the HDMI cable is the same standard, such as version 1.4, signal is the same. It is a digital picture, unlike an analog signal, digital is either there or not.

The reason HDMI cables arent different between them is because it is a digital signal. It either works or doesnt.
Where as non digital signals like composite and rca the shielding/connections can make a difference because it can pick up interference.

Hope that helps.

As has been mentioned, you don't really need to pay much for HDMI cables. Over the last year I've picked up quite a few from woot or other sites and see them every so often in a 3-pack for ~$7. I just give them away to close friends and family. And I haven't had any problems with the few I've used.

I bought some from an Amazon seller (eforcity) and it stopped working. I'm only buying my cables from Monoprice. They're cheap (not as cheap as other places) but I'm confident they work. I bought a 3 pack off Meritline and those have worked without a problem.

I grabbed one of these Amazon cables for about $3 a couple months ago after the $20 LG one(from Target) I had took a dump and shorted out. It's been working perfectly fine.

[quote name='XBmanX13']Monoprice is the way to go. You can buy many "cheap" cables for the same price of one expensive one. Assuming the HDMI cable is the same standard, such as version 1.4, signal is the same. It is a digital picture, unlike an analog signal, digital is either there or not.[/QUOTE]
This. I've bought too many cables to count and have yet to have an issue. Monorice ftw. I don't even bother looking elsewhere anymore.

If you are looking for cheap HDMI cables, meritline has 3 pack of 6' for $5.49 shipped today
link
coupon code MLCK193350082350NL1

Make sure you add the 3 pack to the shopping cart before applying the coupon.

Edit:
Even better, Everydaysource has 6' HDMI cable for $1 with coupon code S8HD6Fstarting at 6:30PM PST today.

[quote name='zuldane']Exactly what I have found. Durability is the only difference between cable brands.[/QUOTE]

Is there a difference in quality between 1.3 and 1.4 cables?

The Amazon Basics cables are nice, but this isn't a very good price on them. The 6.5' ones regularly go for under $5. Or they used to anyway, maybe more people are buying them, so Amazon jacked the price up.

I usually buy them for 2 reasons: I have Prime, so 2-day shipping is great (I don't wait well), and they have a 1-year warranty on them.

bread's done
Back