AMC's The Walking Dead - S3 2nd half starts 02/10/13 9PM ET

Waaaa. Some of you are crazy!

This episode was fantastic best episode of the season easily. This was in no way a filler episode. God..the difference between someone who can act like Morgan and shitty Blondie.

As I have always said the show doesnt have to be action all the time but it does need to progress each episode. This had everything you could ask for....questions about Morgan? Answered. Rick coming to terms with his own craziness. Michonne grows as a character and to a lesser extent carl, got it covered.

Plus there were 2 parts of this episode I really loved. One when they got stuck and they just "dealt" with walkers around them. Rick just stating..."covers your ears" because they are no longer scared of zombies but take care of them like a way of life. Then the back pack guy...it was a great plot device to show the current state of the group. They never said a word about him.....that is some damn tasty writing.

Good job walking dead writers you have restored my faith....please do not let them cock it up. The show needs to be more of this and stop with the fake action/gore because they dont have the budget to make that happen.

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm guessing the brick building Rick drove by twice with the burnt bodies was the old folks home from one of the earlier episodes in season 1. That little thing really made the episode.[/QUOTE]

At first I thought it was too but when you look back at it, it cant be. The old folks home/Vatos' hideout was in Atlanta when Rick and company went back to get the gun bag. Also saw in another forum that they actually showed what happened at the old folks home in a deleted scene from the season 2 dvd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOQZ6Sr_dI

As for last night's episode, easily my 2nd favorite of the series right behind the pilot episode. Fantastic acting by Lennie James.

Trying to get in to this show and failing. Somebody help me. I'm 4 shows in, and it's just not sticking. It took a couple before Breaking Bad became near the top for greatest TV show of all time, so I figured this one would grow on me. It's not. The acting is mediocre, the characters are a mix of intriguing and unlikeable, but there are SO many oddities in the actions and story.

-----------------EARLY SPOLIERS----------------

So the hillbilly is handcuffed to an old rusty pipe. For some reason he can't break it off, so he saws his hand off. OK. There is a tiny bit of blood on the ground-oh, it's because he made a tourniquet. Eh...OK. Self-cauterizes? OK. Kills a handful of zombies on his way out of the building. OK. But this is getting ridiculous. Unless he's changing in to a zombie, it's getting pretty far-fetched.

The good guys run in to the Mexican gangbangers...who are every bit of a stereotype, over the top. They are ready to start shooting each other in the face...until "mi abuela" comes through and takes the new guys by the hand and walks them through to show them the nursing home they're defending. Seriously? That was the difference between bullets flying, and everybody being friends? And the head of the gangbangers? A nursing home janitor. These guys take orders from a decent dude who cleans toilets. Really? This isn't Gus Frahne we're talking about. Insane.

Oh, but now that they're friends with the bangers, our team finds their truck missing. So they take off for a brisk jog of what...20, 50 miles? back to camp. OMG ZOMBIES! Apparently the shotgun from 20 yards away is tapping their brains, that's a relief. So zombies are dropping. One chick is dying, and the director and editor want three minutes of an extreme closeups of her and her sister's face as she dies. Could've been done in 20 seconds and had the same impact.

Just weird. I want to like it, I feel like I'm missing something that is making this a great show, and wonder if I need to get a couple more episodes in to figure out what that is.

Somebody help me out-with my opinion of it so far, am I wasting my time if I keep watching more, waiting for it to get good?

Welp, if you don't like season one, season two is a please-have-mercy-on-your-damned-soul proposition. I.e., you'll resent it more and more.

So I say bail now.

[quote name='Strell']Welp, if you don't like season one, season two is a please-have-mercy-on-your-damned-soul proposition. I.e., you'll resent it more and more.

So I say bail now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dmaul1114']Agreed. If you don't like Season 1, just give up as you aren't going to like any of it.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. Exactly what I was wanting to know. Love that AMC is spending big money to try and make high production value entertainment. They're up there with HBO IMO.

[quote name='GUNNM']I hated in star wars when the ships would make noise because ships can't make noise fucking bullshit![/QUOTE]

It sounds like between you taking great offense to old, good games being inexpensive, to your frustration over violated physics in the Star Wars Universe, you have a rough life.

[quote name='TheRock88']At first I thought it was too but when you look back at it, it cant be. The old folks home/Vatos' hideout was in Atlanta when Rick and company went back to get the gun bag. Also saw in another forum that they actually showed what happened at the old folks home in a deleted scene from the season 2 dvd.[/QUOTE]

I really thought that was the same place being a brick building it looked similar. Plus they made it a point to show it a couple times like it was of some significance.

Are deleted scenes considered cannon?

I was actually really worried last week when they showed the promo for this episode and I didn't see any conflict between Rick/Governor, that this would be a filler episode to delay the final battle until the end of the season.

Boy, was I wrong. This ep. may have been akin to a side-quest, but they really nailed it. Michonne with dialogue (did she almost smile...?), Carl really stepping up, the bleak yet hopeful ending (totally dead backpacker, but they got what they came for and none of the main characters died), they closed out the "what happened to Morgan?:" storyline, and now we're back on track with the main plot.

Hopefully they can keep the momentum going down the stretch.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I was actually really worried last week when they showed the promo for this episode and I didn't see any conflict between Rick/Governor, that this would be a filler episode to delay the final battle until the end of the season.

Boy, was I wrong. This ep. may have been akin to a side-quest, but they really nailed it. Michonne with dialogue (did she almost smile...?), Carl really stepping up, the bleak yet hopeful ending (totally dead backpacker, but they got what they came for and none of the main characters died), they closed out the "what happened to Morgan?:" storyline, and now we're back on track with the main plot.

Hopefully they can keep the momentum going down the stretch.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. They didn't (at least in my opinion) close out Morgan's storyline. My guess is that he'll back - whether in human form we will have to wait and see - but the next time he's back then we can draw it to a close. I'm 99% sure he'll return.

[quote name='Scrubs']I disagree. They didn't (at least in my opinion) close out Morgan's storyline. My guess is that he'll back - whether in human form we will have to wait and see - but the next time he's back then we can draw it to a close. I'm 99% sure he'll return.[/QUOTE]

Warning: MASSIVE spoilers from the graphic novel below. It will spoil the end of season 3 of the TV show and it spoils the graphic novel. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE GRAPHIC NOVEL OR DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED ON THE TV SHOW. In fact, I'm going to triple spoiler it in case you accidentally click it.. and another spoiler around the massive spoiler.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I'm confused about Morgan's early appearance. If I remember correctly, Morgan didn't appear until after the Governor's assault on the prison where
pretty much everyone aside from Rick, Carl, Michonne and Andrea (Glenn and Maggie escaped to do their own thing) died.
I have no doubt that he'll be back, but it won't be until season 4 or 5.

There's been a lot of changes from the novel to the show (Tyrese is with the Governor, Andrea is with the governor, Michonne wasn't subjected to all of the awfulness from the Governor, Carl didn't kill Lori in the novel).. so who knows, they could change it

Shame that Lennie James is such a great actor that hes so busy that he could only probably do 1 episode of the show since he can act better than half the cast. Then again I'm glad hes not in a whole bunch of episodes as that would conflict with the 1 black guy quota and that would mean someone has to die.

For me, this was the videogame episode. Has anyone here ever played Left 4 Dead? Notice all the spray painted arrows? Notes written on walls for the living? And the safe room, full of weapons? Hello? Not to mention the different weapons (not to mention the rifle!) and ammo cache. I felt the camera angles and violence and everything else was easily taken straight from L4D (one and two).

Also, anyone else notice the timeline? It may be Season Three now, but Rick notes it's been one year TOTAL since the pilot episode. As much as Hershel's Farm felt like FOREVER, it really hasn't been that long. Interesting timewarp.

And I loved Morgan's return, and was happy Rick's now accepting help (from Michonne, and the random hitchhiker). Hope we find out who he is next ep (probably zed fodder).

733947_396445957117409_285067441_n.jpg

:rofl:

Really liked this episode. Hope they find time to reconnect with Morgan because Lennie James brought it. One major episode and he's already in the small circle of characters I give a damn about on this show.

[quote name='Scorch']Warning: MASSIVE spoilers from the graphic novel below. It will spoil the end of season 3 of the TV show and it spoils the graphic novel. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE GRAPHIC NOVEL OR DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED ON THE TV SHOW. In fact, I'm going to triple spoiler it in case you accidentally click it.. and another spoiler around the massive spoiler.

YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I'm confused about Morgan's early appearance. If I remember correctly, Morgan didn't appear until after the Governor's assault on the prison where
pretty much everyone aside from Rick, Carl, Michonne and Andrea (Glenn and Maggie escaped to do their own thing) died.
I have no doubt that he'll be back, but it won't be until season 4 or 5.

There's been a lot of changes from the novel to the show (Tyrese is with the Governor, Andrea is with the governor, Michonne wasn't subjected to all of the awfulness from the Governor, Carl didn't kill Lori in the novel).. so who knows, they could change it
[/QUOTE]

Afraid you are wrong about Morgan.

He is pretty close to being the same in the comic. It's been years since I read it, but him and the kid find Rick and hook up in the first few issues and then go there separate ways like the show. Rick and gangs find him again after the prison and he is all crazy from Duane being turned into a zombe (which he keeps alive and fed in his house).

[quote name='Dokstarr']Afraid you are wrong about Morgan.

He is pretty close to being the same in the comic. It's been years since I read it, but him and the kid find Rick and hook up in the first few issues and then go there separate ways like the show. Rick and gangs find him again after the prison and he is all crazy from Duane being turned into a zombe (which he keeps alive and fed in his house).
[/QUOTE]

As for Morgan in the comics:

He's not as violent as he is in the show but still pretty far detached. Keeping Duane a zombie was probably the biggest change. I also remember a short lived romance with him and Michone. Seems like Michone tries to hook up with every black guy in the comics.

I haven't started watching the second 1/2 of this season yet since the wife bailed on this show. It's not as fun watching this stuff by myself.

I have to watch it by myself. My wife declined to watch anymore after she saw the promo/intro where Rick shoots the little zombie girl.

Besides the girl in the intro and
Carol's daughter
where their any other children zombies?

AMC/Walking Dead is running a contest now for "best fan" video submissions. A friend of mine submitted an alternate intro that he created using some of his own photography and computer animation - if he gets into the top 10, he has a shot at going to the season 4 premier.

Here's a link to his video - check it out and throw him a vote!

https://ugc.gorillaspot.com/entries/479

Rick & Gov's pointless conversation that took an hour to tell:

Let's talk. I'm reasonable, GTFO Andrea

Never mind that, you have to surrender

My wife died in a car accident, so give up the chick the took my eye and I'll leave you alone.

We're going to kill you anyway, lol

Only good scene was when Daryl and baseball bat man were talking.

[quote name='Rodimus']Rick & Gov's pointless conversation that took an hour to tell:

My wife died in a car accident, so give up the chick the took my eye and I'll leave you alone.

Only good scene was when Daryl and baseball bat man were talking.[/QUOTE]

I thought the part when he was smashing zombie brains with the bat was pretty sweet.

But I do agree with you, the talk was a little dragged out and I wanted more out of it. This whole season just seemed like one big build up (even though last week was bad ass), one week it should finally pop.

[quote name='Rodimus']Rick & Gov's pointless conversation that took an hour to tell:

Only good scene was when Daryl and baseball bat man were talking.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I enjoyed the scene with Daryl and the Governor's right hand homie Caesar Martinez.

Not a fan of the Hershel/Milton conversation. Hersel: "Hurr durrr, gonna buy me a drink before I show you my stump." Yea, hershel can die now. His character has no more room for growth.

I like Laurie Holden and think she is a decent actress. Unfortunately, the writing for her character is absolute shit and I was celebrate when she finally dies in this series. The writers should be embarassed for the terrible lines and scenes they put her character through.

Thought it was an alright episode. The conversation was a little drawn out, but I liked the tension during the scene.

But yeah, overall just another drag it out until the confrontation episode. Seems like they'd be better suited to go to 10-12 episode seasons and cut some of the filler.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Thought it was an alright episode. The conversation was a little drawn out, but I liked the tension during the scene.

But yeah, overall just another drag it out until the confrontation episode. Seems like they'd be better suited to go to 10-12 episode seasons and cut some of the filler.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they're millking the storylines too much. When you look at the other extreme, the first six episode season made me want to marathon the whole damn thing in one night. It was stellar and exciting. Bringing it down to 10-12 episodes like you suggest would make a big difference.

I've enjoyed this season overall better than season 2, but still, they're dragging ass in some parts.

Hate how they constantly dodge what happened to Maggie everytime Andrea brings it up, i mean dont they think telling her about that little detail would probably bring Andrea closer to the groups side, not just oh boo hoo he da evil man!1.

Also its a nice little touch to see Rick actually see 1st hand how the Governor is pretty much a evolved pokemon form of Shane, and to a lesser extent himself ( the way they darkened 1 side of ricks eye to make it seem like hes a mirror of who hes speaking to)

They need to write Andrea better, I like the fact that they're trying to show that she is almost becoming exactly like Dale but damn come on.

Am I mistaken, or did the Governor leave his gun taped to the table - so it should have been there after he walked out...and Rick should have found it, right?

Buuuuuuut if course he didn't find it. Too obvious...like so many other things...

I didnt mind the episode, i think its making tensions tighter. Plus, i think some of us agree that Kirkman doesnt want the show a spot on recreation of the comic. I did love the music at the end. Really set the mood for the next episode. That's just my .02 however.

[quote name='Kylearan']Am I mistaken, or did the Governor leave his gun taped to the table - so it should have been there after he walked out...and Rick should have found it, right?

Buuuuuuut if course he didn't find it. Too obvious...like so many other things...[/QUOTE]

You saw the same plot hole I did.

He didn't grab it and stash it in his pocket when he left. When Rick walked around the table he should have spotted it.

Hiding a gun from someone who doesn't know it's there and them not noticing it is a plot hole now?

Rick never looked back at the table, and the Governor risks exposing himself as a liar because duct tape makes a lot of racket when you start ripping it off stuff.

[quote name='usickenme']Hey guys, it's not the comic....get over it.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Its amazing how no one ever tries to make a case for it being a spot on re-reaction of the comic yet someone always says this.

[quote name='slidecage']tv guide said ALOT of people get killed in march 31 final show for the season... wonder how many major people will get it .....[/QUOTE]

Please let Andrea be one of those people. I can't stand her character and she is a dumb ass bitch. She thinks she is such a badass yet she is a complete moron.

:pray:

[quote name='wwe101']Please let Andrea be one of those people. I can't stand her character and she is a dumb ass bitch. She thinks she is such a badass yet she is a complete moron.

:pray:[/QUOTE]

How eloquent. (Go look it up. Then look up sarcasm.)

[quote name='slidecage']tv guide said ALOT of people get killed in march 31 final show for the season... wonder how many major people will get it .....[/QUOTE]
Almost a plot hole (but mostly not mentioned): Where was Carol during the whole episode? I was wondering if she'd disappeared (along with the random hitchhiker picked up from last episode) and that annoying baby (Lil Ass Kicker), but magically, she appeared for a reaction shot at the very, very end of the episode. Her usefullness in the storyline has ended.

My Slidecage guesses:
I haven't read the comic, so I'm enjoying guessing what'll happen next, but I assume Carol will be killed off (again), The Governor will kill the Lil One as a MacGuffin in the storyline and will lead to his death. Everyone in Woodbury will be killed except Milton, who joins Rick's Gang. And Glenn's revengeance attitude leads to his death as well. No spoilers, please, but having watched every episode up to date, these are my guesses.

[quote name='cancermatt']Almost a plot hole (but mostly not mentioned): Where was Carol during the whole episode? I was wondering if she'd disappeared (along with the random hitchhiker picked up from last episode) and that annoying baby (Lil Ass Kicker), but magically, she appeared for a reaction shot at the very, very end of the episode. Her usefullness in the storyline has ended.
[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

They didn't pick up the random hitchhiker last episode. They left him behind and on their return trip saw he had been attacked and killed so they stopped to pick up his pack of supplies.

Everyone dies and the show becomes a documentary style program following zombies as they migrate across the country.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:roll:

Its amazing how no one ever tries to make a case for it being a spot on re-reaction of the comic yet someone always says this.[/QUOTE]

so?

just because people haven't made a case for an exact recreation doesn't limit the amount of whining I've read in this VERY thread about how the show isn't doing things like the comic. (and pssst....you're one of the worst offenders)

[quote name='JP']Everyone dies and the show becomes a documentary style program following zombies as they migrate across the country.[/QUOTE]

I'd watch it. I wonder if it becomes sorta like Life After Humans when the zombies run out of a food source.

bread's done
Back