AMD Athelon 64 Single core for gaming?

uli2000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
I have come across a great deal on a sli capable motherboard, and since Im looking to build a new computer, I think Ill pull the trigger. Problem is, the motherboard only looks to support single core socket 939 processors. I know that both intel and AMD have moved to dual core processors (and soon quad core from AMD). I plan to use this rig pretty much only for gaming. Is a single core processor (like at 3500+) gonna be good for gaming, or am I better off getting a dual core processor (those conroes are making me drool)?

Depends on how often you upgrade. You're getting the 939 at the end of its production run, so in about a year or so, these CPUs will probably considered to be slow and you might start seeing games that can benefit with faster clock or dual processors. If you plan on using this computer for over 2 years, I would wait for the conroe chips to come out. But if you're on a tight budget and this deal that you found is too good to pass up, and that you're willing to upgrade again within 2 years, then get the 939. I personally have the 939 3500+ and will probably use it for another year or so before I see myself upgrading again.

Well, I went ahead and got it. According to the manufacturer, it supports dual core processors as well. If anyone needs a new board for a great price (about $44 shipped) this is what I picked up.

My wife uses my old AMD 3500+ with a 6800GT and it runs most everything at 16x12 and she doesn't really care about the high resolutions- something that I've tried to explain and show but she doesn't really care that much- oh well- I guess that's a good thing as she gets all my "hand me downs"

[quote name='uli2000']Well, I went ahead and got it. According to the manufacturer, it supports dual core processors as well. If anyone needs a new board for a great price (about $44 shipped) this is what I picked up.[/quote]

i saw that on bens but figured it was a price error... cant tell if this board is the 16x sli version

You really should've gone with AM2 (939's successor)... ~50% price cuts on all AM2 CPUs tomorrow. Not only that, but AM2 will be able to use AM3 (AMD's next socket type) processors.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Depends on how often you upgrade. You're getting the 939 at the end of its production run, so in about a year or so, these CPUs will probably considered to be slow and you might start seeing games that can benefit with faster clock or dual processors. If you plan on using this computer for over 2 years, I would wait for the conroe chips to come out. But if you're on a tight budget and this deal that you found is too good to pass up, and that you're willing to upgrade again within 2 years, then get the 939. I personally have the 939 3500+ and will probably use it for another year or so before I see myself upgrading again.[/quote]

I wouldn't wait for the conroe...as you wont be able to actually purchase one until late august at the earliest if even that. The major computer maufactureres will get first dibs (DELL), then those that DO if any make it to us regular folks will be gobbled up VERY fast. I highly doubt intel has made enough to meet demands.

OP if you havn't bought the processor yet, wait a couple days and pick up the athlon 3800+ venice, socket 939. It's dropping to a freakin amazing $109. Easily overclockable to 3.0 on air with no modifications. Although if you play real time strategy games, get a faster processor. Although the game is quite graphics intensive, the 3800 is by far my biggest bottleneck in the game. Real time strategy games are extremely cpu dependant. A faster processor may get you 5-10 extra fps in a game too, and although that sounds low, that may be a 10-20 percent increas and you will definately notice it. People who tell me theres no difference between 40fps and 50fps havnt played need for speed most wanted.

Get ready for rejection on that board. It's a price error and has been all over bensbargains, fw, sd and everywhere else. Microcenter will more than likely reject this order.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Get ready for rejection on that board. It's a price error and has been all over bensbargains, fw, sd and everywhere else. Microcenter will more than likely reject this order.[/quote]

crap i just tried to get one and now its not availible

bread's done
Back