AMD FX-8150 (Bulldozer) - First 8-Core Processor. But is it worth it?

Every review I've read makes them out to be rather bad. They're apparently terrible for just about everything aside from video editing/rendering.

Thanks man, I kinda thought it can't be all good but I'm kind of not a review reading man. Not that i'm lazy, just sometimes its one persons venom raged into text and called a Review or its done in a Test Centre and not an average PC.

But I haven't seen if Guru3d has done a spot on it yet, they are quite good. I wanted to know if a real PC user has one on board, get some real life results.

EDIT: One quick Google search later: http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150-processor-review/

[quote name='SEH']Every review I've read makes them out to be rather bad. They're apparently terrible for just about everything aside from video editing/rendering.[/QUOTE]

"Bad" is entirely subjective and not really true. Is the new FX an improvement over the Phenom II? Absolutely! Does it still lag behind Intel a bit? As always but that's been par for AMD forever so it really isn't surprising. It's not a bad design, just not as efficient as it could of been. I've had my i7 for nearly three years now and absolutely love it. I just happen to love to cheer for the underdog too. At least AMD's netbook processors beat the pants of the craptastic Atom from Intel lol.

[quote name='combatrhombus']Tomshardware did a review on it recently: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-24.html

They said it falls between and i5 and the i7. Get yourself an i5 2500k you won't be disappointed. I made the jump from AMD to intel and I'm glad I did. I was waiting for the bulldozer but my pc died before they were released so I went with the i5 and no regrets.[/QUOTE]

Bulldozer isn't bad, just late to the game. AMD is too slow.

Though if you're editing/rendering, the cores simply are divine.

I only have a 6 core phenom and I couldn't believe the difference from a 555 PII. I had mine over clocked 3.2ghz and this x6 PII at 2.6 is eating videos in 1/8th the time.

I can render a full hour of video in minutes

/\ Mobo prices range all across the board, I was looking at a Gigabyte board for $150 and Phenom X4 955 for $120. So $270 combo and I did see a combo sale on this for $200 all for AMD. I went with Intel i5 and an Asus P8Z68-V board from Microcenter at $180 each with $40 off for the combo purchase. $360 down to $320, not bad for only $50 more on the original AMD w/o the sale. My pc is total overkill, but I hope it last a while(3-5 years with the occasional GPU upgrade) and upgrading from here on out should be a breeze.

The turbo core for Intel is fantastic and out of the box it was pushing 4.3 and I OC it to 4.5. I'm a huge fan of AMD and there prices, I was very reluctant to switch to the darkside with Intel but I did and I'm happy and don't feel like I betrayed AMD to much since this is my first Intel setup since Pentium 4 and that was my parents PC.

I like what AMD is doing with there APU and 8 core processors. The bulldozer was overhyped, and delayed. Plus like you said being late to the game didn't help. The bulldozer will be nice when it drops in price and the second gen stuff comes out kinda like the Phenom X4 and the X6 now.

i built my i7 about 2.5 years ago and still runs great.

sadly even with my400$ 295 card doesnt have dx11 so thats its main weakness and probably the main thing i'll probably have to upgrade maybe by next summer =p

Graphics cards are my weak spot. Do you buy $120 card that gives you average graphics for a year to 18 months and get another $120 card. Or do you spend $400 and get the best available, I could handle spending that much on a card and have it outdated so fast. I'm happy with my 6770, but I wish I would have spent a little more. I think I could handle the $250 price range, that's my sweet spot.

bread's done
Back