Amd new DTX Form Factor

mercilessming

CAGiversary!
Feedback
30 (100%)
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36849

I just don't understand why a company wants to make their own form factor, Intel BTX and now AMD DTX, why doesn't a company create a newer archtecture to get rid of bottlenecks, no matter how fast your processor is, all the other buses and tech is so slow, I grow tired of waiting on harddrives even in raid 0 I get a bunch of unrars going and my processor is hardly touched because of so slow of throughput and read/write to harddrives. They need to get harddrive speed to closer match processor/memory even PCE-E bus speeds, get rid of PCI it is to slow to even use expansion cards for Sata. I have a dual core amd 3600+ and the only way I can max it out is do something like distrubuted calculations or video games. But let me have 4.5 gig unrar sets ;) and par rescues and I am waiting on harddrive and watching my poor processor do almost nothing.

The new form factor is aimed at business computing, not home users primarily. In about a couple of years, we'll begin to see more affordable flash based hard drives (see this article). That will cure a lot of your concerns about slow read/write if coupled with the fastest SATA bus.

Sandisk just released a 36gb flash based notebook hd. Of course, list is $600, but prices will come down. Samsung is about to release combo flash/hdd drives called ready drives. You load your os on to the flash portion of the drive and anything else on the hdd part of it.

[qoute]They need to get harddrive speed to closer match processor/memory even PCE-E bus speeds[/quote]

Then there would be little to no use for RAM......

bread's done
Back