AMD or Intel?

chunga

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I'm about to build a new computer and was wondering what are the major differences between AMD processors and Intel processors before I decide which one to go with. If anyone could tell me then it would be greatly appreciated, and any recommendations would be nice as well. Thanks.

I'd have to disagree. Here's the processing scene from my perspectice:

Intel: Shot for highest processing speed availiable (acceleration)
AMD: Shot for highest efficiency availiable (top speed)

In short, an AMD 2.0 Ghz will demolish an Intel 2.8-3.0 Ghz when it comes to gaming (which is what I assume you're on these forums for).

I couldn't recommend a specific processor, but that's what your looking at when it comes to brands.

~HotShotX

[quote name='guyver2077']right now while its hard for me to recommend them..intel has the edge in performance

amd might have the edge when it comes to budget

prices should go down a bit too soon[/quote]

[quote name='HotShotX']I'd have to disagree. Here's the processing scene from my perspectice:

In short, an AMD 2.0 Ghz will demolish an Intel 2.8-3.0 Ghz when it comes to gaming (which is what I assume you're on these forums for).

I couldn't recommend a specific processor, but that's what your looking at when it comes to brands.

~HotShotX[/quote]

dunno havent been reading up on it religiously lately... but from what ive heard the latest x'2 just cant keep up with the core 2 duo's... especially since they overclock so well.

im also waiting out for true quad core cpu's from amd

i myself have a opteron dual core amd.... i almost made the jump to intel but im hanging on for a bit more since my cpu is still pretty good.

Intel has surpassed AMD in the dual-core processing field. AMD is still better than Intel in single-core. And always will be, because, hell, who's gonna want single core now that dual-core is out? :p

[quote name='HotShotX']I'd have to disagree. Here's the processing scene from my perspectice:

~HotShotX[/quote]

Sorry, this is very wrong. Well, not wrong but very dated. Ever since the Core 2 Duo series have come out Intel has been on top in terms of speed. Core 2s are also more effiencent in terms of power when compared to old Intel CPUs. Now, if we compare a P4 to AMD chip of the same relative speed rating you will find that AMD wins. But this is all not true when comparing anythign from AMD with a Core 2.

Core 2 Duo.

I haven't actually used a dual core AMD, but I did some insane reading before taking the plunge on a new system.. The three posts with the dual core information are what you should listen to.

The CPU that I went with was the Intel Core 2 Duo E6400. It's 2.13hz stock and I've had it overclocked to 3.0ghz with no aftermarket cooling for months. I read up about all of that too, before I bought it.. I don't know what the prices are like now, there may be a better solution price-wise since I built this computer.

It's funny... a year or two ago, everyone would've been saying AMD AMD AMD and the minute the core duo comes out everyone's saying Intel Intel Intel. btw, a year or two ago when I got this pc I went with Intel (pent D 820).

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's funny... a year or two ago, everyone would've been saying AMD AMD AMD and the minute the core duo comes out everyone's saying Intel Intel Intel. btw, a year or two ago when I got this pc I went with Intel (pent D 820).[/quote]

That's silly, I go with whatever's cheaper.

Here's my advice Chunga, if you're not running Vista, even an ole cheap amd64 processor w/ a good video card will get you a long way. I'd go for whatever's cheaper.

Intel has those graphic accelerators. Which helps alot on games and your computer, dont know if AMD has them.

[quote name='VipFREAK']It's funny... a year or two ago, everyone would've been saying AMD AMD AMD and the minute the core duo comes out everyone's saying Intel Intel Intel. btw, a year or two ago when I got this pc I went with Intel (pent D 820).[/quote]

well i have always been an amd fan.. all my pc's have been amd's. im hesitant of going intel since my cpu is still pretty good. i want to get a good zalman cooler for it and i should be able to oc even higher.i currently get a rating of 5.0 in vista x64

I still think amd has great cpu's for cheap prices..if your going hardcore though then the duo's overclock very well and stay at low temps...

~HotShotX[/quote]

Great information if we were still in the Pentium 4 days. The C2D is far more efficient than anything AMD has now. Unless your a mindless fanboy the C2D is the only way to go right now.

Go with Intel's Core 2 Duo all the way right now.

Great performance, great price, and massive overclocking potential.

But, don't bother to overspend on a processor for gaming; you'll most likely be limited by your video card in many situations. I haven't spent more than $150 for a processor in years (although I've been using AMD parts for the last 5 years or so)

Currently, I'm running an E4400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115014. It comes with a 10x multiplier. Default speed is 2 GHz at 200 MHz quad pumped fsb. Mine easily runs at 2.67 GHz with 267 fsb and stock voltage, but I haven't tried to push it further. Other's have it running above 3 GHz http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6420_11.html

Only downsides vs the more expensive chips are 2MB vs 4MB L2 cache and lack of virtualization technology.

the thing with me is that ive taken my socket 939 mobo as far as she will go...my current plan is to sell my entire rig right now (ill swap my cpu with a regular athlon 64 i have and keep the vid card). hopefully i can find a buyer for my dual core opteron cpu.

unfortunately i would have to build from scratch again. so my choices are socket am2 or the intel route..

are the next amd's confirmed to be socket am2? how about intel?

plus factor in id have to buy ddr2 ram (good thing its been cheap lately), a new case and psu

Intel looks like they are going to stick with socket 775 for a while. With the the new quad cores coming out for them I can see people being able to push these boards as much as some have pushed their socket 939's.

I'm putting together a C2D build using a E4300 and a 7900GS. The whole thing is going to cost me about $700 and I plan on throwing in another stick of ram, upgrading to the Q6600 and buying an 8800GTS down the line when games will make good use of the hardware and prices are much lower.

The AMD CPUs look a lot better after the recent price drops. Something like an X2 5200+ for $150? Crazy.

yea i was looking at my old newegg orders and wow..

paid $329 for an athlon 64 3700 that now goes for like $60. I didnt even need to buy it at the time since i had a a64 3200.

my mobo was $175 and top of the line at the time. its still going strong and was always reliable.. msi rocks..

paid like $200 for 2gb ocz ddr ram...

i currently have a 7900 gs and ill stick on to that... my damn 8800gts order at bb is still backordered

Ignore overclocking potential as a selling point. Unless you're into hardware for hardware's sake, you'll never actually over clock a CPU in your life.

I've built all my PCs and I've never overclocked.

[quote name='Vanigan']Ignore overclocking potential as a selling point. Unless you're into hardware for hardware's sake, you'll never actually over clock a CPU in your life.

I've built all my PCs and I've never overclocked.[/quote]

I completely disagree. Overclocking has great performance gains depending on the type of CPU. And more and more mobos come with auto overclocking software. Asus ships nearly all of the motherboards they make with some sort of overclocking software. It makes overclocking simple to the average user and to not take overclocking ability into consideration is like losing a big opportunity.

[quote name='dtarasev']I completely disagree. Overclocking has great performance gains depending on the type of CPU. And more and more mobos come with auto overclocking software. Asus ships nearly all of the motherboards they make with some sort of overclocking software. It makes overclocking simple to the average user and to not take overclocking ability into consideration is like losing a big opportunity.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. Overclocking isn't absolute or a necessity, but it's fucking awesome.

Overclocking is very easy nowadays (it's not like we have to mess with dipswitches anymore) and it can save lots of $ going along with the CAG theme.

The old mobile Athlon XP 2500+ Bartons were nearly legendary; I remember buing one for $75 and clocking it past 3200+ speeds (which cost ~$200) using less that stock voltage.

Same thing now with C2D. E4400 cost me $139. Have it clocked now to E6700 speeds, which cost about $330.

[quote name='guyver2077']the thing with me is that ive taken my socket 939 mobo as far as she will go...my current plan is to sell my entire rig right now (ill swap my cpu with a regular athlon 64 i have and keep the vid card). hopefully i can find a buyer for my dual core opteron cpu.

unfortunately i would have to build from scratch again. so my choices are socket am2 or the intel route..

are the next amd's confirmed to be socket am2? how about intel?

plus factor in id have to buy ddr2 ram (good thing its been cheap lately), a new case and psu[/quote]

I'd have to look it up, but I remember reading in a recent issue of Maximum PC that AMD isn't continuing the AM2 socket much longer and will be introducing a new socket when their quad-core processors come out.

this is the mobo im currently looking at..comes out to 143 shipped.

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/productdetails.aspx?item=13-130-081&CMP=AFC-Bensbargains

my current msi 939 platinum has never failed me so i will prob go the same route with this mobo above,, im close to pulling on what may be my first intel machine ever.

im not too fond of the "sli switch" solution on my current board but it doesnt look like they have changed that technology as my current board uses the same setup.

Go p35 its newer/faster/cooler than Nforce 6 chipsets.

There is a Gigabyte one on newegg for like $130. Its a single PCIx16 though.

[quote name='n25philly']I'd have to look it up, but I remember reading in a recent issue of Maximum PC that AMD isn't continuing the AM2 socket much longer and will be introducing a new socket when their quad-core processors come out.[/QUOTE]

Not true. The new barcelona core chips will use AM2+. They are backwards compatible, though you may lose some features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2+

I'm thinking of eventually moving to a Core 2 duo, since I have taken my S939 AMD system as far as I can with an Athlon 64 X2 4800. But I will probably just upgrade my video card and extend the life of my pc for another couple years.

Get a Core 2 duo after the July 22nd price cuts.

[quote name='uli2000']Not true. The new barcelona core chips will use AM2+. They are backwards compatible, though you may lose some features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2+[/quote]

What I read involved AMD's long term plans. It sdaid that there will be a new socket with the high end quads only being for the new socket type. There will be some quads for the AM2 but it will still be on it's way out the door.

Has anyone had any experience with the NZXT Zero Full Tower case? I'm going to buy a new case soon and I have it narrowed down to the NZXT Zero, the Thermaltake Shark, and the Thermaltake Armor. Anyone have any tips or thoughts on any of these? Also I hope they all are spacious enough to fit a large PSU, I plan on getting a large 1000W PSU to power my future 8800GTX SLI setup.

bread's done
Back