amiibo Deals and Discussion Thread

no658ea3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So the last one was locked, here is the new one.

Don't talk politics or argue.

Don't piss off the mods with reporting posts. If you can't take what someone else is saying don't report them unless it violates the rules of CAG.

Trades are done here amiibo Master Trade Thread

For updates on amiibo check Amiibo Alerts and Amiibo News on Twitter

Master List of amiibo and product details from reddit

Retailers that sell amiibo

Best Buy- Rember that amiibo are 20% off with GCU

Amazon

Toys R Us

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Credit to Modoru for next section.

Imports/Other sellers:
AmiAmi
PlayAsia
GoHastings
Meijer
Nintendo World Store [NY Location, In-Store only]

Foreign Amazon links:

Amazon UK
Amazon GER

Amazon SPN
Amazon ITA

amiibo compatibility chart

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The TRU I went to ended up having about 20 (guess they got a second shipment in, good). They sold out before the store opened though. Glad I went early.
Made a friend, and had a great time in line as well. Was also able to use the 20% off coupon no problem along with rewards certificates, came out to less than $20. For that price he was worth it.

Both TRU in National City, CA and Chula Vista, CA sold out at or just after opening this morning.  National City had 21 and Chula Vista seemed to have a few more as I ended up having to drive over there after National City sold out.  Got one of the last three at Chula Vista around 9:15 a.m.  National City did a poor job of handling things as they handed out numbers an hour or so early, but then never bothered to come back out to warn people they only had 21 total.  Lots of disappointed people that had waited in line for 45+ minutes only to leave with nothing.  

WTF, Mega Yarn Yoshi came out today?! They're probably already sold out by now :(. Lol, that's what I get for not checking the Amiibo threads anymore.
You can call and ask, they had 3 or 4 boxes left. I think each one had 4. I just didn't want to say a certain amount, so I just lowballed it. You don't live too far from that one do you? You can always go to the Tuscany one, that one may not get high traffic.

Aside from a new skin in SMM you are right, it is the same. I just got it cause I love the design of Yarn Yoshi and the big one looks a lot better.

This is debatable. Skins mean a lot to some people (not me personally, but to others they do). I don't think anybody would argue the 8-bit Mario unlock in SMM is minor though. The mega mushroom completely changes the way the game plays when used and completely revamps the way you'll have to design your levels. The levels I've uploaded using it have by far been the most popular, probably because they allow things that simply can't be done otherwise like running through walls and breaking bricks under you. It's a huge addition because it's such a game changer, and the fact that it's locked behind amiibo is disgusting.

Then we have crap like Shovel Knight co-op and extra levels in that Megaman game and Splatoon. Nintendo and co. are becoming more and more brazen with the amiibo paywall bullshit. To this day I can't fathom why they can't just be collectible display pieces.
Which skin does the giant one give you that's different from the little guy? I won't bother espousing my extreme disappointment in SMM's lack of multiplayer/co-op.

For me, I like the skins. They're cool. However, they're not $10-40 apiece-cool. Halo 5, there are HUNDREDS (maybe 1,000+) visual variants for things from emblems to armor to guns to assassination animations, and I don't have to purchase those. However, just to make Yoshi blue in YWW, I had to spend $17 (minus GCU, plus tax). Like I said, $40 just to have the functionally similar giant Yoshi (and even $32 with that coupon) is a tough sell.

But it's like you said, there are some nice additions. However, you're talking, what, 5% of the amiibo that functionally offer something compelling? I'll grant you the idea that to hell with any idea of hiding major game features (co-op, for example) behind a $15 piece of plastic, that'd piss me off. However, I can't even take Charizard into Yoshi's Woolly World. Really, my expectation would be that if the amiibo is supported in the game, I can play as that character. Rather than see Mario Kart support 20 amiibo with Mii costumes (who the hell ever wants to be the Mii characters?), I'd like to see them give support to 5-10 amiibo where it adds the character as a playable racer. Instead of a tiny square that supports maybe 10 amiibo and support for some dumb points stuff with another 30 amiibo, they could have had the amiibo add 10-20 playable characters (with full animations, not wobbly plastic crap) on actual game boards (and removed the car travel crap). They went for quantity support that is mostly underwhelming, rather than truly leveraging amiibo into something beyond a tiny novelty and collectible intrigue (killed by restocks for many, it seems).

Pokken Tournament is coming. They could (maybe even SHOULD) have made it like Killer Instinct, where you can get a number of Pokemon (maybe the rumored 10 supported character) supported in the base game (maybe free like KI?), then churned out 100 of the best Pokemon as amiibo to play in the games. They have, like, a dozen Mario Tennis characters, which has me almost entirely turned off to dropping $50 on that game (again, minus GCU, plus tax). If I could throw on blue Yarn Yoshi and play as him, if I could buy Charizard and play as him, they'd have probably sold me on another couple of games and a dozen amiibo, and I'd imagine many others are like me (would buy more games if amiibo support was good, while also getting the amiibo of our favorite characters).

Wow, I called my TRUs to see if they had any as I needed to go out and both stores sold out soon after opening. 

I didn't think it be that popular but I guess people are still in the buy now and return later if it doesn't sell on eBay. 

Both TRU in National City, CA and Chula Vista, CA sold out at or just after opening this morning. National City had 21 and Chula Vista seemed to have a few more as I ended up having to drive over there after National City sold out. Got one of the last three at Chula Vista around 9:15 a.m. National City did a poor job of handling things as they handed out numbers an hour or so early, but then never bothered to come back out to warn people they only had 21 total. Lots of disappointed people that had waited in line for 45+ minutes only to leave with nothing.
I had church that ended just past 9am and headed straight to chula vista tru but got there around 9:20ish. I saw like 4 people leaving the store with their yoshis so I had my hopes up they still had some but nope lol. I can hope for a restock I guess.

Got to my store at 9:01, walked in and they had them all behind the counter with a line 20 people deep. 1 person at the register ringing people up. Finally after 35 minutes made it to the front and got the next to last myy. My tru only got 22 I guess.

Daytona Beach FL had plenty, showed up at like 2PM and there were about 10-15 left.

Then the register guy wanted to discuss France and ISIS. He literally said he was in favor of bombing Arab civilians intentionally in retaliation.

Daytona's a crazy town.

Daytona Beach FL had plenty, showed up at like 2PM and there were about 10-15 left.

Then the register guy wanted to discuss France and ISIS. He literally said he was in favor of bombing Arab civilians intentionally in retaliation.

Daytona's a crazy town.
It's insane, I've got Facebook friends that are ready to declare nuclear war on Islam in general. Mind you, these are conservatives that previously never had a nice thing to say about France. Remember the "Freedom Fries" bullshit? One idiot made a point of posting a picture of his gun and called it his "shield". Declaring war on a billion people, including 3 million of our own citizens - yeah that sound a bit like it hasn't been thought through ...

Anyways, my TRU opened early for an event, and they let people come in for Yoshi, I got one - wasn't planning on it until this morning, but the wife thought he was cute and with 20% off it wasn't bad. They didn't have many, but they did have enough plus some more for the people arriving later - I didn't know about the early open so got there about 20-25 minutes after.

I woke up early and got there like 10 mins early before they open up. They was handing out ticket and I was the last one to get it. I am so lucky! But the weird thing was that I was the 23rd. I talk to the employee about the 24th one and apparently, someone put it on hold and they weren't supposed to do that. They was looking for it, but couldn't find. Well, whatever. I'm just happy I got it. :D 

At my local TRU, the guy said 25 people were lined up at opening for 22 units.

I thought we were in the golden age of Amiibo stock, when no one has to go without! How are all the collectors and scalpers coming out of the woodwork again?

871 TRU Stores at 18-24 per store, though we have heard some stores got more and some stores got less either way your talking around 20,000 mega yoshis.

Today Amiibo Alerts reported that Walmart will have a minimum 21 per store of Modern Color 8bit Mario. Now theres 5,249 Walmarts in the US. That's a little over 110,000 marios, quite a bit difference (course the price is different as well but some people don't care)

At my local TRU, the guy said 25 people were lined up at opening for 22 units.

I thought we were in the golden age of Amiibo stock, when no one has to go without! How are all the collectors and scalpers coming out of the woodwork again?
Guess Nintendo didn't like seeing racks of unsold Marths in every BB across the nation, or maybe they honestly didn't think MYY wouldn't sell that well. How many people on here said they weren't interested in buying one?

Guess Nintendo didn't like seeing racks of unsold Marths in every BB across the nation, or maybe they honestly didn't think MYY wouldn't sell that well. How many people on here said they weren't interested in buying one?
It's honestly too soon since Marth restocks for them to have put the brakes on a production run to limit them, these were made months ago. They likely went smaller numbers because it is over three times the price of a regular one. Also, possibly like Classic 8bit Mario they are doing initial shipments in smaller numbers with restocks to make sure the stock is better distributed.

Any experience buying from AWD? I want to complete the Zelda characters in preparation for TPHD (and I'm really late on this amiibo craze). I need Shiek and Toon Link. I found a Shiek listed as acceptable.

Any experience buying from AWD? I want to complete the Zelda characters in preparation for TPHD (and I'm really late on this amiibo craze). I need Shiek and Toon Link. I found a Shiek listed as acceptable.
I'd wait for Twilight Princess. Both of those will be compatible, so a restock would not be unheard of for those.

Usually, any product listed as acceptable is a gamble. The amiibo only has to have a functioning NFC chip -- nothing else is guaranteed. I've heard of people receiving loose amiibo with missing limbs when ordering acceptable lol.

Best to stick with like-new, very good, good.

I got a notification from Best Buy that my Mewtwo had arrived. They even charged my card. When I went to pick it up, customer service told me their shipment wasn't big enough to fulfill all the pre-orders, so they took my number down to call me when more arrived. -_-

I got a notification from Best Buy that my Mewtwo had arrived. They even charged my card. When I went to pick it up, customer service told me their shipment wasn't big enough to fulfill all the pre-orders, so they took my number down to call me when more arrived. -_-
Wow, I would've put up a bit of a stink. Either they should've sent one from another store to cover the order, or, compensated with something...

Wow, I would've put up a bit of a stink. Either they should've sent one from another store to cover the order, or, compensated with something...Why
No need, wal-mart and best buy had plenty. TRU did not.

Speaking of stink, the stench coming off the amiibo neckbeards was horrible today at TRU. Don't these smelly neckbeard dudebros realize that there is more to life than living in your parents basement and not taking a shower because it's too long of a walk upstairs? Why do I have to travel through a gauntlet of stench just to pick up an item?

I took a chance a few months ago on an acceptable villager for under $10. It ended up being in perfect shape and it was the original villager. Plus whoever had it already had it leveled to 50 in smash. I have heard of other people getting bad ones so it is just luck.

Lol people are paying $75+ for mega yarn yoshi on ebay.....

Sheep will be sheep.

Why is Digby and Isabelle packaged loose unlike the other amiibo + boxed game collections released previously?

Pokken Tournament is coming. They could (maybe even SHOULD) have made it like Killer Instinct, where you can get a number of Pokemon (maybe the rumored 10 supported character) supported in the base game (maybe free like KI?), then churned out 100 of the best Pokemon as amiibo to play in the games. They have, like, a dozen Mario Tennis characters, which has me almost entirely turned off to dropping $50 on that game (again, minus GCU, plus tax). If I could throw on blue Yarn Yoshi and play as him, if I could buy Charizard and play as him, they'd have probably sold me on another couple of games and a dozen amiibo, and I'd imagine many others are like me (would buy more games if amiibo support was good, while also getting the amiibo of our favorite characters).
Gosh, I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I dislike the idea of DLC because it seems to strengthen the growing trend of rushing partially-completed games to market.

On the other hand, I so very badly want more direct, comprehensive compatibility for the amiibo I have already purchased.

Your Mario Tennis and Pokken Tournament ideas are fantastic! From their very announcement, I've wanted my amiibo to unlock playable characters in-game. The Nintendo developments close to using that concept were Mario Party 10, Codename: STEAM and AC:AF -- not much to write home about. If the only playable characters unlocked by amiibo were oddballs that would've never been included in-game otherwise (like your example of Charizard in Mario Tennis), I wouldn't mind. In fact, Mewtwo in Mario Tennis would be the best Nintendo DLC I've seen in a while -- that amiibo would pay for itself in laughs.

Besides, what's stopping Nintendo from releasing physical DLC via amiibo alongside digital DLC via the eShop at a discounted rate? Granted, I don't believe that discounted rate business would happen in a million years, but a digital discount could quiet the bitter murmurs about paywalls.

I bought my mega yarn Yoshi from amazon.de because i arrived at 9:15 and they sold out, as did every tru in the area. Paid $35 for Yoshi, but shipping was another $15. Better $50 than buying from an ebay scalper.

I know I'm somewhat alone on this as a NIB collector: but I'm real happy Isabelle and Digby don't have a box. As much as I wanted to see a brother sister two pack (since I was legitamately curious as to what that would look like), I'm relieved I don't have to purchase them separately just so I can use them and keep one set in box.
If every amiibo came in a box like MYY, I would save so much money and headaches..

My store still has about 12 MYY left. I don't think we sold a single one after the morning rush of 20-30 people. Really strange. Glorious employee discount day and the 20% coupon made it relativity cheap.

All the stores near me sold out. And it's going for a hundred dollars on ebay. 

Blah.

I didn't get this or the mii trio. I think I may be falling behind!

Because they want you to use them with the game instead pf staring at them hanging on a wall.
Hahah.

Think of the people who need to look at them on the wall and think they have some sort of investment of a mass produced toy.
I always wonder why open box collectors feel the need to condescend other people who collect differently. You don't see NiB collectors doing it.

Grown ass men patronizing other people for not opening their own toys. It's some sort of inferiority complex.

Hahah.

Think of the people who need to look at them on the wall and think they have some sort of investment of a mass produced toy.
Hahah.

Think of the fact that the entire collection that I have on my wall was completely funded by other amiibo that were also sealed and sold.

I always wonder why open box collectors feel the need to condescend other people who collect differently. You don't see NiB collectors doing it.

Grown ass men patronizing other people for not opening their own toys. It's some sort of inferiority complex.
It's because they don't have the discipline to just enjoy the product in it's sealed form. They had to open in and play with it and since the value is lessened, they are sore about it and rather insecure about it as well.

Bloody hell, if one were to filter all the snark and juvenile potshots from this thread it'd probably only be like five pages long.

The Best Buy kiosks still have the Twilight Princess bundle available for preorder, but it won't ring up at the registers. Here's hoping they open up preorders again, because I am suddenly really regretting missing out. And yes I know Gamestop has it, but I'd prefer to not pay the entire sixty upfront.

bread's done
Back