amiibo Deals and Discussion Thread

no658ea3

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
So the last one was locked, here is the new one.

Don't talk politics or argue.

Don't piss off the mods with reporting posts. If you can't take what someone else is saying don't report them unless it violates the rules of CAG.

Trades are done here amiibo Master Trade Thread

For updates on amiibo check Amiibo Alerts and Amiibo News on Twitter

Master List of amiibo and product details from reddit

Retailers that sell amiibo

Best Buy- Rember that amiibo are 20% off with GCU

Amazon

Toys R Us

Gamestop

Walmart

Target

Credit to Modoru for next section.

Imports/Other sellers:
AmiAmi
PlayAsia
GoHastings
Meijer
Nintendo World Store [NY Location, In-Store only]

Foreign Amazon links:

Amazon UK
Amazon GER

Amazon SPN
Amazon ITA

amiibo compatibility chart

screenshot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
90's Funcoland was AMAZING. Prices for everything on a newsprint flyer, and so long as your NES hardware was still working, you could walk in with $20 and walk away with a half dozen or more NES games.
You're preaching to the choir, man. I remember going into Funcoland, and walking out with four or five cartridges at a time. I loved that store back in the day. I remember picking up my copies of Ninja Gaiden (NES) and Super Metroid (SNES) there. I think I paid no more than $7 for Super Metroid, and $3 for Ninja Gaiden. Both of those titles regularly go for waaay more these days. I cried inside when GameStop bought out our local Funcoland. As soon as they took over all of the classic stuff vanished, and it was nothing but used discs, and price gouging. The second hand market for video games used to have bargains. And then GameStop happened. Now you stand a better chance of finding deals from big-box retailers on brand-new titles than you do from saving money at GameStop.

My first Super Metroid was given to me by my Grandmother who lived in rural Ohio. Just $5 at one of the many yard sales she was so fond of sifting through. :lol:

She frequently found other gaming treasures here and there, but I can't remember most of them now.

I remember Super Metroid being a "big purchase" for me as a teenager. I had a part-time job in the school cafeteria so I had a small flow of income coming in. I saved to make sure I could buy it on release day. I can't remember if MSRP was $59.99 or $69.99 for that game, but alot of SNES games were 70 back then, so basically 75 dollars with tax. Adjusted for inflation, we paid much more back then for new games than we do now.  

The way you guys talk about Funcoland is the way I feel about GameCrazy. I went there a ton the last three years they were around and goddamn, best store ever. I still remember getting Lost Planet a couple days after it came out for 12.99 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for the same price when it dropped. Not to mention all the cheap as hell GameCube games I swept up during their 5 for $5 sales.

I never got the chance to go to Funcoland, but GameCrazy was my holy grail of gaming deals for a good while.

I remember Super Metroid being a "big purchase" for me as a teenager. I had a part-time job in the school cafeteria so I had a small flow of income coming in. I saved to make sure I could buy it on release day. I can't remember if MSRP was $59.99 or $69.99 for that game, but alot of SNES games were 70 back then, so basically 75 dollars with tax. Adjusted for inflation, we paid much more back then for new games than we do now.
Or Phantasy Star IV which was $99.

I don't know, it has to be close if you factor in Season Passes and DLC just so we can get the "complete game".

Super Metroid was never remotely close to $7 lmfao
Brand-new, no. Bare cartridge, in the sweet spot when the PS2 was just beginning, and legacy cartridge games hadn't appreciated in value, yes. I got a lot of my cartridge collection around this time, and was able to get a lot of high-quality games for considerably less than they go for today. While Super Metroid is a fantastic and highly desirable game, it was not considered a rare title. During that period of time it could be had for very reasonable prices. And eBay hadn't standardized after-market prices at that point, so game stores like Funcoland only had estimates of what some of these games were worth second hand. I would frequently go into stores like Funcoland and walk out with handfuls of high-quality cartridges that I had paid less than $10 each for. High-production titles like the Mario series were going for peanuts back then.

Timing is a big part of older game collecting. Finding just the right point where the demand for a game hasn't risen, and awareness is lower. That was how I acquired a copy of Heart of the Alien for $15. And a copy of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for $15. (on sale brand-new at Circuit City) And a copy of the steelbook release of the Metroid Prime Trilogy on sale for $20. (also brand-new) Most of these games now sell for more than their original MSRPs, and by waiting for that sweet spot I got them for a song, often new in box.

Or Phantasy Star IV which was $99.
This. I thought Street fighter 2 for SNES was a expensive at $69.99 until Phantasy Star IV came out. Another great way to get good deals on game back then when GS was coming into play was when Blockbuster would discount their used games. Those deals at times killed anything that gamestop had to offer. Back then Metal Slug on NEO GEO was where it was at.

Back then Metal Slug on NEO GEO was where it was at.
Yeah, you could occasionally score big from rental places like Blockbuster and Hollywood video. I got quite a few reasonably priced games from both. I got Phantasy Star IV only a few years ago, but was able to get it in-box. I think I spent somewhere around $35 - $40 on it. I believe it was listed as $40, but I was able to talk the clerk down a little by offering to buy another game along with it. I'm fortunate enough to have a used game store chain in my area that ISN'T GameStop. Not mint-in-box, mind you. But Genesis games have always been easier to find in their original cases, thanks to their unusually durable plastic cases. (for the time) Nintendo games are always a nightmare to find in box, and you're generally better off just getting the bare carts. They always used flimsy cardboard boxes, right up until they started using disc-based media with the GameCube. Master System and Genesis games are much easier and cheaper to collect with their original cases.

And don't remind me about Neo-Geo. One of the biggest holes in my personal collection. I've never gotten around to picking up an AES unit, or an MVS board. And I don't own any of the original carts. The MVS ones can be had at somewhat reasonable prices, but the AES carts are insanely expensive. I recently saw a copy of Windjammers being advertised for $1200. For one bloody cartridge game. The Neo-Geo is one of the most expensive systems for old-school collectors to tackle.

OOT Link and the WW bundle seem to be sold out at places like amazon and BB.  Makes me wonder if we are back to lower production (at the moment with more to come I'm sure) or that the Zelda name is just so much more popular than Kirby and Animal Crossing.  OR is amazon holding back most stock for when the 20% discount goes away...

OOT Link might be my new favorite amiibo.  The quality is way better than gen 1 smash series.

This. I thought Street fighter 2 for SNES was a expensive at $69.99 until Phantasy Star IV came out. Another great way to get good deals on game back then when GS was coming into play was when Blockbuster would discount their used games. Those deals at times killed anything that gamestop had to offer. Back then Metal Slug on NEO GEO was where it was at.
5 for $20 deals.. oh man. That was PS1/N64 era though. I didn't get many used SNES games there, but our Blockbuster drove another family owned store out of business, ended up with BAGS of PS1 and SNES games for $5 each or less, all RPGs. Tons of insanely rare/expensive ones. I remember trading most in after beating them and getting $40 for some of them at Babbages. Ended up with so much credit... and my entire summer had games to play.

OOT Link and the WW bundle seem to be sold out at places like amazon and BB. Makes me wonder if we are back to lower production (at the moment with more to come I'm sure) or that the Zelda name is just so much more popular than Kirby and Animal Crossing. OR is amazon holding back most stock for when the 20% discount goes away...

OOT Link might be my new favorite amiibo. The quality is way better than gen 1 smash series.
Had to return my WW bundle to BB due to slight damage to the packaging, even though it was shipped packed properly, unlike my Mega Man, which was thrown into a large box to rattle around, yet didn't have the slightest bit of damage to it.

OOT Link and the WW bundle seem to be sold out at places like amazon and BB. Makes me wonder if we are back to lower production (at the moment with more to come I'm sure) or that the Zelda name is just so much more popular than Kirby and Animal Crossing. OR is amazon holding back most stock for when the 20% discount goes away...

OOT Link might be my new favorite amiibo. The quality is way better than gen 1 smash series.
Though the 8-bit Link seems to be readily in stock. Seems to me that the other two just are more popular, and now the resellers smell a profit.

I am pretty sure that every amiibo that Nintendo has released. I have 4 of the large Nintendo branded cases. For those in box collectors where do you have your amiibo? Are they in boxes are displayed somewhere? There are like 115 amiibo w/ Link Rider and Archer coming next year 117. I do not think the Nintendo site included the ROB variant so the wld be 117 if you include the Dark DK variant.

And don't remind me about Neo-Geo. One of the biggest holes in my personal collection. I've never gotten around to picking up an AES unit, or an MVS board. And I don't own any of the original carts. The MVS ones can be had at somewhat reasonable prices, but the AES carts are insanely expensive. I recently saw a copy of Windjammers being advertised for $1200. For one bloody cartridge game. The Neo-Geo is one of the most expensive systems for old-school collectors to tackle.
Sadly, the Neo-Geo was uber rare and costly when it was released, so nothing was ever made in big qty's and as popularity grew, so did demand, so we got the CD systems.

While I love the Neo-Geo, I just never got the bug for collecting, as it was just out of hand rather early on. I did collect the pocket though, as I loved that system and the games.

5 for $20 deals.. oh man. That was PS1/N64 era though. I didn't get many used SNES games there, but our Blockbuster drove another family owned store out of business, ended up with BAGS of PS1 and SNES games for $5 each or less, all RPGs. Tons of insanely rare/expensive ones. I remember trading most in after beating them and getting $40 for some of them at Babbages. Ended up with so much credit... and my entire summer had games to play.
Babbages was the spot. Did you have an Electronics Boutique by you also? These were the two main stores during SNES / Sega CD era.

Babbages was bought by GameStop, they didn't shut down.
Around what year did GameSlop buy all their competitors up? I remember buying my sega Genesis from Babbages but the mall it was in shut down around 1998. Electronics boutique I feel hung around a little longer but I didn't notice as I was buying my games at comp USA and circuit city

Babbages was bought by GameStop, they didn't shut down.
No, they shut down Babbages, EB Games stayed open, then eventually the rename from EB Games to GameStop happened. After that, that GameStop (the formerly EB Games) closed because another one opened in town just down the road from the mall, and the mall in this town is deader than dead. It's pretty much undead. You risk getting infected if you walk in.

Sigh. This goes back to the era when malls used to be cool. 

One local mall had a Babbages right after you entered the mall by passing through Sears. 5 shops down from there was an Electronics Boutique. Directly upstairs from that was a Wizards of the Coast store. Down the hall from that was a two-floor arcade that had about 200 cabinets. 

Then if you walked down to the Hudson's end of the mall, there were a 3 different bookstore and 4 different music/movie stores.

Now? Generally you'll just find a Gamestop and an FYE.

Sigh. This goes back to the era when malls used to be cool.

One local mall had a Babbages right after you entered the mall by passing through Sears. 5 shops down from there was an Electronics Boutique. Directly upstairs from that was a Wizards of the Coast store. Down the hall from that was a two-floor arcade that had about 200 cabinets.

Then if you walked down to the Hudson's end of the mall, there were a 3 different bookstore and 4 different music/movie stores.

Now? Generally you'll just find a Gamestop and an FYE.
Over here was way worse. The Willowbrook Mall in North Jersey at one point used to have 4 "GameStops" all operate at the same time.

There was a Funcoland right next to the Sears on the outside.
Going towards the former fountain in the corner was Electronics Boutique.
Down the hallway near Bloomingdale's was an EB Games.
Right above it on the second floor was a Gamestop right in between a store similar to a FYE (Sunset Movieland or something like that) and a Sam Goody.

There used to be a Babbage's there as well but it got replaced with Electronics Boutique. This was all at least during 2008 I think. Now all that's left is Gamestop in a different location near where the fountain used to be.

Babbabes and Funcoland for the win in the mid to late 90's. So many old school NES and SNES games bought there.

Blockbuster back in the day around me had Goldeneye 64 two weeks early, (pretty sure they broke the street date before that was a thing). Pretty much got so many friends to get an N64, and remains to this day the best memories of gaming. That, and the old N64 wrestling games.

Does anyone here collect the Animal Crossing amiibo cards and have duplicates?

Looking to trade extras from any series.

I may just wait for a sale considering how the Chibi Robo bundle was available readily after launch, and at a decent discount.

GameStop currently has the Mario Party 10 Amiibo bundles for $19.99 in store, and the Mario Party 10 game trades back in for $19.25. Good way to get the Bowser or Peach Amiibo for $0.74

Does anyone here collect the Animal Crossing amiibo cards and have duplicates?

Looking to trade extras from any series.
There is an Amiibo Card Trade Thread in the trading forum, but it looks like it's been quiet for a bit. I've been meaning to update my lists so I can complete my sets since I just bought some of the new cards from the "welcome Amiibo" set.

I don't know, it has to be close if you factor in Season Passes and DLC just so we can get the "complete game".
Yeah...for some games. I hadn't thought about season pass because I don't typically buy games that do that, like the COD's and the Oblivion's and such. But more and more games are starting to employ that practice. The couple of times I have wanted to buy games that use the season pass, I have waited until the game went on sale or reduced in price to make up for the cost of the season pass. For example, Dead Rising 4 has only been out for a couple weeks but it already went on sale for $40. If I buy it for $40 and the season pass for $20 I break even on getting the full package for 60. But I understand that not every game goes on sale within 2 weeks of release.

bread's done
Back