An Interesting Problem

Looshi

CAG Veteran
Ok, I installed my new hard drive I got from Best Buy today. Everything went great in installation and the new drive works great.

So I start my computing like normal and I realize I have a problem.

My sound doesn't work.

I don't understand how it happened. I didn't touch anything that has to do with sound. I have my sound integrated onto my motherboard, and nobody I talk to knows what could go wrong. I checked all the usual suspects, I checked to make sure my speakers worked. I checked the volume. Everything appears to be plugged in. I even unplugged the hard drive to see if it solved the problem but that didn't do anything.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

ahhh..
Try reinstalling the driver for the soundcard (i know the soundcard is integrated into the motherboard, but there is a separate driver for it).

[quote name='rockhero']Is it on mute?[/QUOTE]

That happened to me once. Rebooted several times, installed drivers.. then saw it was on mute. Man, I felt stupid.

[quote name='wbc1228']ahhh..
Try reinstalling the driver for the soundcard (i know the soundcard is integrated into the motherboard, but there is a separate driver for it).[/QUOTE]

I thought of doing that right after I posted. Took a few minutes to find the drivers on the web, but sure enough, it works. Don't ask me how or why though. I still have no idea what caused the problem.

There was no problem per say, just missing drivers to make sound card work. It's like you have a car, without the driver, the car won't go, simple as that.

This happen to me a while back when I built my first computer. Every now and then the sound would just die. It would give me a warning saying something about sound not functioning correctly. I would just have to reinstall the drivers, restart, and boom I was on the road again.

bread's done
Back