An NBA game on Wii...how could/would it work?

Being the NBA nut that I am, I've been thinking about this ever since the technology was first announced. How do you guys think an NBA game could take advantage of Wii's unique features effectively without becoming a chore, similar to how Madden was able to do such an awesome job at making the Wiimote the only way to play Madden (IMHO)?

The only aspect I can imagine working thus far is passing. Perhaps holding a designated D-pad arrow for which player you want to pass to then flicking the remote at a certain speed and/or angle to create various passes.

Shooting? I'm unsure. Perhaps on jumpshots, holding the B trigger to hold the ball then doing a fishing-rod-esque maneuver with the Wiimote with the focus being on the force you use and the timing at which you release the B trigger (releasing the ball). But then how do you designate a dunk, just with a button?

It's tough. Anyone want to attempt a logical way for which this could become reality? I'm sure there's some way it would work and be awesome. I would have never pictured 80% of the cool ways Madden uses the controller, so who knows!

Shooting: Perform a tennis serve-type maneuver. Flick the remote upward to jump, then flick the remote forward to release the ball. Free throws are similar, but just need the remote to be flicked forward like a free throw is really done.

Passing: Hold B, choose a player to pass to with the d-pad, then push both remote and nunchuck forward (like the defibrillator in TC) to pass it. Do that slow and it's a bounce pass. Do it quickly and you throw a chest pass. For alley-oops, do the same as above then raise both remote and nunchuck to put the ball up for that guy (needs to be possible to initiate it).

Movements: Nunchuck's analog stick moves the player, hold Z to run. Also performs trick moves with maneuver (circluar motion spins, etc.) On defense, pushing the nunchuck forward attempts a steal.

Hmm. Here's how I would do it.

When you have the ball, the nunchuck would move people around. C and Z would be used to spin around people and do fakeouts. You would have to hold A and move the remote up and down to dribble. To pass, you hold A and thrust the remote and nunchuck forward and it would pass to the nearest guy. To shoot, hold B and raise the remote and then let go of the B button.. kinda like the way you bowl, only instead of doing an underhand motion, it'd be overhand. To dunk, as you approach the rim, hold A and B and do the same shooting motion.

That's how I'd do it, anyway. The dribbling would be awkward at first but would soon become second nature.

Movement and such should be done via the analog but these tasks could be handled by hand gestures.

The wiimote and nunchuck should act as hands.

Passing: flick the wiimote and/or nunchuck to whoever you want to pass too.

Stealing: do a grabbing motion

Shooting: press a button to activate a slow motion view behind the basketball player for a short period to let the player (meaning you) aim (with an on screen crosshair or something) the ball for the hoop and flick to shoot- don't allow any control of depth because that'd be too complicated.

That's pretty much it. Oh, and NO STUPID MOTIONS FOR DRIBBLING... that'd be a pain in the ass.

If they port Mario Hoops onto the Wii, it means we will be shaking the damn Wiimote up and down (in dribble fashion) and have all kinds of weird movement.

Mario Hoops = fun, just had some weird controls IMO

But, they will figure it out. Just makes you think what game would be more technical: A true NBA game, or Mario Hoops.

bread's done
Back