An XBOX 360 DRM Nightmare - The Live Content Only Available When Online Discussion

game_collector_83

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
This thread is for everyone who has had their XBOX 360 replaced, only to find that your XBOX Live premium downloads no longer work unless you are online or using the primary profile. Please post your experiences in dealing with Micro$oft customer support, your disappointment, and how your issue was resolved (if at all!). Hopefully, this will be helpful to those who encounter such problems in the future.

[quote name='Malik112099']WTF?

What support is there? Sign into Xbox Live and play the game. Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

He means the XBL Arcade games and such. No one else can play arcade games under there own names anymore on my 360 since it got replaced. You also have to be signed onto XBL to play them.

my 360 is fine but was just curious. the xbl problem over the holidays did it also affect people playing xbla games if their 360 had been refurbished?

Call them and have them authorize your new console .
I did and I'm still waiting .

For more details listen to last week's CAG Foreplay [I DRM of Jeannie] .

When I got my replacement I didn't have to call them at all. I was able to go into the marketplace tab and into my download history and redownload them all. They all work without signing into Live.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']When I got my replacement I didn't have to call them at all. I was able to go into the marketplace tab and into my download history and redownload them all. They all work without signing into Live.[/QUOTE]

That's great , when did you get your refurb back ?

I just got mine back in Dec '07 .

[quote name='Immortal fWd']When I got my replacement I didn't have to call them at all. I was able to go into the marketplace tab and into my download history and redownload them all. They all work without signing into Live.[/quote]

Really? Can anyone else confirm that they were able to do this?

[quote name='Immortal fWd']When I got my replacement I didn't have to call them at all. I was able to go into the marketplace tab and into my download history and redownload them all. They all work without signing into Live.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone else confirm this? I just ran into this problem over the weekend. My friend was using my other profile and they couldn't play the full version if they were not signed in as me.

I guess I'm going to go do some testing myself.

I'd love some confirmation on this, as my games certainly aren't working this way. I have to be logged into live to use them.

This is why I'm holding off on buying any more Arcade games.

[quote name='Richlough']That's great , when did you get your refurb back ?

I just got mine back in Dec '07 .[/QUOTE]

Mine was in August. It was my 2nd replacement. After the first one they re-issued all my points to a silver account. The 2nd time I when I got it back I went to the marketplace tab, and then to account management I believe. In that screen there is a download history options where I redownloaded everything. I read that info on the xbox.com forums and decided to try it and low and behold it worked. I can only assume they transferred the DRM license to the replacement without me calling them.

i actually called m$ to get this straightened out and was told id receive a call about 2 months ago. i'm not sure my $20 of games is worth trying to hear the quietest indian in the world ask me to repeat myself. oh well at least i phunked the fox system and got 800 free points last week.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Really? Can anyone else confirm that they were able to do this?[/quote]

I've tried redownloading everything, but it didn't seem to work for me. The tech had me delete my profile including all my save, and it still didn't help. Finally, after three calls to M$ tech support, they said they'd have to change it at corporate. They said they'd call in one to two weeks. That was a month ago and still no offline games!

I seriously can't believe how many people play offline..my xbox signs into live the moment i sign into my profile and i have no problem with that.....i cant think of a situation where i would need/want to play anything on my xbox without being signed into xbox live....

[quote name='Malik112099']I seriously can't believe how many people play offline..my xbox signs into live the moment i sign into my profile and i have no problem with that.....i cant think of a situation where i would need/want to play anything on my xbox without being signed into xbox live....[/quote]

There are some. More over, it is about losing full functionality for something that you've paid money for. It's also for people with multiple profiles. My brother can't play Oblivion anymore, because the downloaded content is under my profile.

I play offline because my area has no broadband access. During college, I did, and during college I bought games. Microsoft refuses to transfer content over to a new system (not repair, just sold and bought a new system) so I'm screwed for things like that.

DRM sucks. XBLA sucks. Microsoft are cheap bastards for being too damn protective. The problem is providers like iTunes have figured this thing out, but instead of following the logical path and doing things like they do, (allowing use on a certain number of systems) they go their own fucking way and take every opportunity they get to take the DLC away from you and make you re-buy it. Not to mention the ass backwards points system. fuck XBLA.

DRM is horrible... I'm not affected, but if I wanted to upgrade to a 120 gig HDD, my wife would no longer have access to Arcade games, Rock Band songs, etc... It also affects people when Xbox Live is down... you're out of luck... if your internet goes down... out of luck... if you move and have no access to internet anymore... out of luck... there should be a fix.... MS should do something about this problem... this is one reason why I'll always buy Discs and not D\L full games... even if it costs more for the Disc version.

It doesn't help that XBLA has some pretty good content, just the delivery is so awful. People who don't feel this way either haven't ever had to switch systems and haven't experienced it, or just are fanboys, because it is a HUGE problem.

I lost the whole Shivering Isles expansion, about 18 XBLA games, and lots of other smaller DLC because of this stupid thing.

DRM does indeed suck. I am locked out of all of my paid downloads on my elite (yay for upgrading) besides puzzle quest if i cant connect online. While I've only had a few times this has happened (current live issues and i've had my net go down for a day or two a couple of times), I know others have it pretty bad, and I'm not really looking forward to the day when I eventually move and have no internet access for awhile.

Because of this, I have not bought any XBLA game since Puzzle Quest, nor do I plan to buy any until this issue is resolved. It's a real shame too since I love the idea of downloading games, as it's so much better than having to switch out discs anytime I want to play a different game.

[quote name='Malik112099']I seriously can't believe how many people play offline..my xbox signs into live the moment i sign into my profile and i have no problem with that.....i cant think of a situation where i would need/want to play anything on my xbox without being signed into xbox live....[/quote]

There are people who aren't you. It is not the users of the 360's fault. These fn games should be available regardless of their online set up.

[quote name='Malik112099']I seriously can't believe how many people play offline..my xbox signs into live the moment i sign into my profile and i have no problem with that.....i cant think of a situation where i would need/want to play anything on my xbox without being signed into xbox live....[/QUOTE]

its not about playing offline. During this xbox live outage BS i could not access any of my XBLA games OR any downloadable content i had paid for in Oblivion. So I wasn't able to play the Oblivion expansion at all for a few weeks, that's reason enough for me to be pissed off when i paid in full for this content and never did anything wrong.

[quote name='AshesofWake']its not about playing offline. During this xbox live outage BS i could not access any of my XBLA games OR any downloadable content i had paid for in Oblivion. So I wasn't able to play the Oblivion expansion at all for a few weeks, that's reason enough for me to be pissed off when i paid in full for this content and never did anything wrong.[/QUOTE]

Wow I thought it only affected XBLA games. I didn't know it went to the extend of making "all" downloaded stuff not work. Really lame.

This pisses me off as well. I called them about this two or three months ago and they said they would contact me later with a code that would give me back my points so I could redownload everything.

I still haven't received that code. I have called them back myself 5 or 6 times and they always say that they are still working on it. It has been about a month since my last call. I will probably try again this weekend.

I have spent well over $100 on XBL content. I'm not letting this go.

bread's done
Back