Android games ongoing sales.

[quote name='Izod517']Somewhat unrelated but I have been addicted to Puzzles and Dragons - game is free with in app purchases if you wish - very playable without. It's like Pokemon and Bejeweled had a love child.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I may have to check that out. I admit that normally if I see "free" on a game and it's not a demo or trial version then I tune it out. However those freemium games are quickly becoming the majority on the mobile platforms so I might have to just start dealing with it. :p

[quote name='manlai']I wish the kairosoft games would go on sale. I'd snap them all up in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I picked up Dungeon Village on the last sale ($0.25) and ended up playing it for 10 hours straight one day. I've probably put 25 hours into it total, so it ended up being a crazy good deal.

[quote name='genfuyung']The notion of playing this game on a touchscreen is fucking terrifying.[/QUOTE]

That's why I prefer to use the MOGA to play this game.

[quote name='whitereflection']One of the permissions for Jet Set Radio is to allow it to take pictures and video with your camera. What the hell? Why would it need that?[/QUOTE]

Reading the description says that the camera is for allowing you to take pictures to use as graffiti in the game. Seems like a neat idea.

I just received my free flip cover and tectiles from the Samsung Facebook today. The flip cover is purdy. Need to figure out what to do with the Tectiles now.

Tiny Bang Story and Enchanted Kingdom are on sale for 99 cents. The former is a jigsaw puzzle game and the latter a hidden object and match-3 game.

Also, for JRPG fans, Adventure Bar Story is on sale for $1.50. This one got good reviews and the graphics look like Suikoden, though the main objective of the game is to manage a restaurant instead of building a castle.

[quote name='elyfant422']Reading the description says that the camera is for allowing you to take pictures to use as graffiti in the game. Seems like a neat idea.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome, and reminds me of the Dreamcast's thing where it let you use your own jpegs as graffiti. Still, as others have said, I wouldn't want to play this on a screen. If I can use my wired 360 pad + OTG cable on it, I'll get it next time it's on sale.

The G5 games are on sale 50% off on Amazon

Note that while they are 'free' on Google Play, those are not the full versions and you need to pay as an in app purchase to unlock the full versions. These versions from Amazon are the full versions.

Also of note, for those with a Frys near the PS3 Dualshock controller is on sale for $19.99 (noticed this in another CAG thread) which is a really good price for it. It uses bluetooth and with the Sixaxis app it makes a great Android controller.

[quote name='Motoki']
The G5 games are on sale 50% off on Amazon

Note that while they are 'free' on Google Play, those are not the full versions and you need to pay as an in app purchase to unlock the full versions. These versions from Amazon are the full versions.
Also of note, for those with a Frys near the PS3 Dualshock controller is on sale for $19.99 (noticed this in another CAG thread) which is a really good price for it. It uses bluetooth and with the Sixaxis app it makes a great Android controller.[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet, thanks. I'll pick up another at that price (to save from having to change pairings).

Edit: Blah, they seem to be sold out in the Bay Area. Only two people on SD a are reporting success, in Atlanta and Miami

[quote name='jshackles']I just saw that Final Fantasy Dimensions got a 50% discount making it somewhat more affordable.

I'm only about 12 hours into the story, but it's a really solid "retro" Square RPG.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. $20 is a bit steep for that but I can live with $10.

It's funny, because if it was anyone else but Square that published an Android game that looked like that I'd be all 'OH HEEYAALLL NO!' but with them I guess it's the devil you know...

[quote name='Motoki']Thanks for the heads up. $20 is a bit steep for that but I can live with $10.

It's funny, because if it was anyone else but Square that published an Android game that looked like that I'd be all 'OH HEEYAALLL NO!' but with them I guess it's the devil you know...[/QUOTE]

I've been playing it off and on for the last few weeks and I can attest to this: it's a solid RPG. Nothing fancy, it could have easily been released on the SNES back in the day (besides the orchestrated music, which you can disable in favor of the "retro" 16 bit style sounds)

The job system is a lot like FF5, and the graphics are similar to FF6. It was worth the $20, and is very much worth the $10.

[quote name='Sinistar']New Humble Bundle 5 with Android games is out
www.humblebundle.com
Pay what you want for bundle of games, recommended to pay over the average price because they usually add more games to it later.[/QUOTE]

Games added later are included for all previous purchases, regardless of price paid. You only need to beat the average after the addition.

[quote name='Burchamj']Does the final fantasy have the always connected drm? if not id pick it up on my tablet.[/QUOTE]

I believe Motoki confirmed elsewhere that it only requires the connection / authentication the first time it's run. After that, it can be played without an internet connection.

No word yet (that I know of) on whether this is a one time activation or one of those "every 30 days" kind of things.

[quote name='Burchamj']Does the final fantasy have the always connected drm? if not id pick it up on my tablet.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely not always on. You do have to be connected very briefly at least once the first time you run it but after that you can restart it and play it as much as you want it offline mode.

I don't know if it checks back periodically again but I don't believe so. The other Square Android games I own I haven't touched in months and they ran right away on airplane mode when I tried them yesterday and didn't complain.

There is a play store anniversary sale today. The are going to be updating throughout the week I think. Not much currently but I grabbed the current issue of XBOX Official magazine for $1 and the Pilot episode of Breaking Bad for free.

I know it's greedy but I hope the only game centric deals aren't just discounts on micro-transactions or the Android in free-to-play games.

[quote name='HaloGX']I know it's greedy but I hope the only game centric deals aren't just discounts on micro-transactions or the Android in free-to-play games.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's greedy. Now, if you came in saying you'd spent $10 at their store and they owed you giant discounts and free stuff I might thinking differently.

I also hope to see paid apps discounted. It'd be great if it was like the milestone purchases sales.

I'm actually getting really frustrated by all the microtransaction games lately. It seems like everyone is doing it and the majority of new games are setup that way which I have no interest in.

I really wish this trend would die down but I guess if they are making money with mental trickery of FREE (but not really free) then it's just going to continue.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm actually getting really frustrated by all the microtransaction games lately. It seems like everyone is doing it and the majority of new games are setup that way which I have no interest in.

I really wish this trend would die down but I guess if they are making money with mental trickery of FREE (but not really free) then it's just going to continue.[/QUOTE]

Unless it's a puzzle game, I rarely even bother with anything marked free. With other types of games you tend to hit a wall where they either want you to pay or wait regularly for the rest of the experience.. They're not all like that, Spellsword and Jetpack Joyride are enjoyable without constantly feeding them money.

“To earn enough money to buy every car in Real Racing 3, what would it take? Our numbers show that it would take over 472 hours to earn enough money to buy all of the cars in the game. Or to purchase all of the cars with real money via in-app purchase, it would cost $503.22 at the current best rate,” an article in 148apps explained.

via PA Report

With the exception of the lone game offering of half off Final Fantasy Dimensions (which is a pretty good deal in my opinion since it's the full game on Android rather than piecemeal like previous releases), I'm honestly pretty disappointed with the Google Play Anniversary Sale so far. I was hoping for a game sale, but all the stuff going on sale (books, music and movie rentals) are things I wouldn't bother purchasing through Google Play.

I agree that this First Anniversary Google Play Sale is lacking, especially in comparison to the awesomeness of the 25,000,000,000 downloads 25¢ sale a while back.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']I'm actually getting really frustrated by all the microtransaction games lately. It seems like everyone is doing it and the majority of new games are setup that way which I have no interest in.

I really wish this trend would die down but I guess if they are making money with mental trickery of FREE (but not really free) then it's just going to continue.[/QUOTE]

Quoting for truth.

[quote name='razorracer83']I agree that this First Anniversary Google Play Sale is lacking, especially in comparison to the awesomeness of the 20,000,000,000 downloads 25¢ sale a while back.[/QUOTE]

Also, this. Give us another sale on big app titles, even if they're repeats I'd be happy.

IIRC the games portion of the Google Play holiday sale a couple of months back was all microtransaction crap too.

I suspect this is pretty much what we can expect from Google based games sales from now on.

I feel like we need a new Because We May sale or something.

So true. Incidentally, I find out about this mockery of a sale around the same time as when I get my shiny white iPod Touch 5 (my first iOS device). If Android devs keep up with this microtransaction affinity on Android, I might just rely solely on iOS for my apps and games, much to my chagrin.

I actually liked Dungeon Villiage (not on sale, sadly) much more than Game Dev Story. I found in Game Dev Story that I was constantly "broke" even though I would sell millions of copies of games that had 200+ in each category.

Also, Beastie Bay is an awesome Lost In Blue / Pokemon hybrid game and it's a lot of fun. The version on Google Play is free, but has ads, which I think can be disabled with an in-app purchase.

bread's done
Back