Android games ongoing sales.

[quote name='seamoss']So what's the catch with all of these Amazon "free apps", other than the fact that you have to install them through the Amazon Android app? Are they just trying to get you to install it so that you'll buy more apps from the Amazon store? Any "spyware" or anything like that?[/QUOTE]

Nope no spyware or anything like that. The only real catch is the one you mentioned, you have to install it via the Amazon Appstore. I guess another downside to that is that sometimes the apps don't get updated as quickly as they do on the Play Store.

Amazon is just taking advantage of a loophole in the Google Play store. Google's terms of service say that once your app is free, it has to be free forever. Amazon is actually quite brilliant in doing this because it gives the publishers more exposure and a larger user base, and they can continue charging full price for their app after the free day is over.

Plus there is a different free app every day on Amazon. However this is a giveaway of what they call their "Free App of the Day: Greatest Hits" promotion. Some are productivity apps. Here is the list.

Cubistry
Bejeweled 2
Fruit Ninja: Puss In Boots
White Noise
Quell Reflect
Wubbzy's Space Adventure
Weather +
Paranormal Agency
Dabble HD
Spectrum Puzzles
Sea Battle
Kids Paint
KeepTrack Pro
EasyMoney
MobiLearn Talking Phrasebook (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
ChuChu Rocket!
FolderOrganizer
Final Freeway

[quote name='Sion']Woot ChuChu Rocket is free loved that game on the Dreamcast![/QUOTE]

tsubabababa!

(I was actually singing it this morning by coincidence)

[quote name='budz']Super Hexagon is 99 cents again at google play[/QUOTE]
Got it last time it was on sale. Best way to waste time when really bored.

Swiped from AndroidPolice:
4 Player Reactor - $1.99 from $2.99
Aftermath XHD - $2.99 from $5.99 (added 3/30/13 1:20pm PDT)
DeProfundis - 50% off IAPs
Eufloria HD - $2.99 from $4.99
ExZeus Arcade - $1.86 (50% off)
ExZeus 2 - $1.86 (50% off)
Farm Frenzy - $0.99 from $1.99
Hunters: Episode One - $0.99 from $5
Jet Set Radio - $2.99 from $4.99
Monopoly (North America, Rest of the world; more info) - $1.99 (65% off)
NBA JAM (North America, Rest of the world; more info) - $0.99 (80% off)
Prince of Persia Classic - $1.27 from $2.99
Real Racing 3 (North America, Rest of the world; more info) - 25% off BMW M3 GTS
Scrubs - $0.99 from $1.99
Sonic CD - $0.99 from $4.99
Sonic 4 Episode 2 - $0.99 (80% off)
Sonic Jump - $0.99 (80% off)
Super Hexagon - $0.99 (66% off)
Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery - $1.95 (61% off)
The Enchanted Kingdom - $0.99 from $1.99
The Sims FreePlay (North America, Rest of the world; more info) - 80% off Easter items
Theme Park (North America, Rest of the world; more info) - 75% off store items
Total War Battles - $1.99 from $4.99
World Series of Poker (North America, Rest of the world; more info) - new players get 25k chips, 5-day VIP pass, 15 gold coins

[quote name='headpiece747']Swiped from AndroidPolice:
[/QUOTE]

There's a lot of new stuff that's been added to that list today, like some Metal Slug games.

Also, Tasker is on sale. It's not a game, but it's ridiculously useful and never goes on sale. It's normally $6.49. The developer said it's sort of an experiment and it may be a temporary sale or a price drop.

I've used it to do things like create custom playback controls for media on my homescreen that only work when a headset is connected. It integrates them into my homescreen design and keeps me from accidentally hitting play in public when my speaker volume is up.

You could also have it do certain things when a game is launched, like unmute (but only in certain conditions like headphones in), or turn on bluetooth for your controller to connect, or turn off your data if the game wants to do things with it in the background that you don't need.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='louiedog']Also, Tasker is on sale. It's not a game, but it's ridiculously useful and never goes on sale. It's normally $6.49. The developer said it's sort of an experiment and it may be a temporary sale or a price drop. [/QUOTE]

Sigh, it's time. I used it back when it was free when it first came out, but didn't really get much out of it. Once they started charging for it I forgot about it. Now I have to dig through some XDA threads and see what this thing is really capable of.

[quote name='louiedog']There's a lot of new stuff that's been added to that list today, like some Metal Slug games.

Also, Tasker is on sale. It's not a game, but it's ridiculously useful and never goes on sale. It's normally $6.49. The developer said it's sort of an experiment and it may be a temporary sale or a price drop.

I've used it to do things like create custom playback controls for media on my homescreen that only work when a headset is connected. It integrates them into my homescreen design and keeps me from accidentally hitting play in public when my speaker volume is up.

You could also have it do certain things when a game is launched, like unmute (but only in certain conditions like headphones in), or turn on bluetooth for your controller to connect, or turn off your data if the game wants to do things with it in the background that you don't need.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kitsunisan']Sigh, it's time. I used it back when it was free when it first came out, but didn't really get much out of it. Once they started charging for it I forgot about it. Now I have to dig through some XDA threads and see what this thing is really capable of.[/QUOTE]
http://www.pocketables.com/2013/03/overview-of-pocketables-tasker-articles.html check out that link it has beginner guides and how to guides. I know I should pick up Tasker but still learning everything I can do with my rooted phone first.

[quote name='jshackles']Another World is on sale right now for $0.99 to celebrate it's release on Steam yesterday.
[/QUOTE]
If you don't care about updates (since it's a pretty short game anyway), you might as well get it from the humble bundle along with other quality games. You also get updates using their app but it's less user friendly than the play store.

Not sure if anyone cares, but Rayman: Jungle Run on Amazon Appstore has actually been $0.99 for a couple of days now.

Also, does anyone have any experience with retrieving previous in-app purchases on either Play and/or Appstore? I wouldn't say I frequently factory reset/switch ROMs my phone, but I do so enough that it's a concern for me. For example, if I buy the $0.99 expansion for Jungle Run and end up factory resetting my phone and/or swapping out my ROM, would either service not attempt to bill me a second time when I re-download the app in the future? I haven't had any luck finding that info. Thanks in advance for any help!

I just looked at the google version of rayman and a restore purchase option was present. But I did not see a price for the expansion

Update it says the extra dlc is $2.61 not .99 cents?

Rayman: Jungle Run is showing the correct price now on Google Play. ...also, sorry about the $0.99 IAP comment, I was reading around online and saw older posts mention it was only $0.99 and I didn't know those prices fluctuated too.

[quote name='yukonrye']I'm new to Android and Google Play. Is there any way to purchase Tasker using Paypal?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure Google Play only accepts credit/debit cards, or charges to your phone carrier.

You could get a Paypal debit card that will deduct charges from it from your paypal account.

Alternatively, you can buy gift cards for Google Play from a retailer, some of which may take paypal:
http://play.google.com/intl/en_us/about/giftcards/

[quote name='yantelope']Where's my Water, Where's my Perry and Wreck it Ralph are all free today.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Finished Where's my perry a while ago and was hoping for a sale on Where's my water :D

[quote name='yantelope']Where's my Water, Where's my Perry and Wreck it Ralph are all free today.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Think I had Where's my Water from a sale a while back, but I'll still grab them all - looking forward to seeing what the Wreck It Ralph app has in store, loved the movie.

Once you go free on Google Play there's no going back to paid from what I know, though with a new Google Play Store redesign rolling out today and Google IO right around the corner, maybe that policy is changing.

Also, in addition to those 3, Puffle Launch and Temple Run Brave are also free now.

edit: Links may be useful.

Wreck-It Ralph
Puffle Launch
Where's My Water?
Where's My Perry?
Temple Run: Brave

Ha, I'm glad I actually bothered to glance at this thread for once. Several Disney games I wouldn't mind having... free!

Edit: I'll take a cue from the gent beneath me and extend a "Thank you!" to those unearthing these freebies.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Ha, I'm glad I actually bothered to glance at this thread for once. Several Disney games I wouldn't mind having... free![/QUOTE]

Same here, thanks to the posters! Though now my kids won't let go of my tablet...

wow, thanks for the heads up! Been wanting to try Wreck it Ralph, but I almost never pay for mobile games (outside of Humble Bundles):D

EDIT: :rofl:guy above stole my comment

[quote name='jshackles']Free stuff is no longer free? Not working for me getting an error when trying to install.[/QUOTE]

Weird. Mine now show as "purchased" rather than "installed" which is the general distinction between paid and free apps that you own. It seems like an odd mistake for 5 apps to be made free from a single developer and an unpromoted sale that lasts only a morning isn't likely.

Damn, made me kinda wish I had hopped onto Temple Run: Brave while I had the chance. Managed to snag Perry, Water and Ralph though.

I was able to get Wreck it Ralph before the price returned. On iOS, games going from paid to free is an everyday thing; shame that on Android it's considered a "pricing error".

[quote name='razorracer83']I was able to get Wreck it Ralph before the price returned. On iOS, games going from paid to free is an everyday thing; shame that on Android it's considered a "pricing error".[/QUOTE]

Well Amazon has the free daily app but I agree seems like IOS gets better stuff going free a lot more frequently.

[quote name='jkam']Well Amazon has the free daily app but I agree seems like IOS gets better stuff going free a lot more frequently.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Amazon FAOTD. Too bad a good app or game is featured there once in a blue moon. Though, honestly, I was referring to the Google Play Store. Also, as evidenced by the last couple of holiday sales, they can't even throw a good sale, let alone give away paid apps for free.

Looks like this was indeed an error. Interesting, when I went to look up the games on the Play Store where they normally are (under Top Paid), none were listed, so I just used the links provided above. A glitch on either Google or Disney's part I guess.

Anybody know anything about Demon's Score? It's on sale for $10 (down from 20) I also heard it has IAP, which is ridiculous to me for a game that expensive. Also, AppSales is showing a bunch of Kemco RPG's are on sale for a buck, can anyone recommend any of those?

(Fixed for spelling)

[quote name='ZForce']Anybody know anything about Demon's Score? It's on sale for $10 (down from 20) I also heard it has IAP, which is ridiculous to me for a game that expensive. Also, AppSales is showing a bunch of Kemco RPG's are on sale for a buck, can anyone recommend any of those?

(Fixed for spelling)[/QUOTE]
I've played and finished 3 kemco rpgs on my android tablet:

Symphony of eternity
Eve of the Genesis
Aeon Avenger

All 3 are fairly straight-forward games which involve a fair amount of grinding. I dont feel any of the three really stood out, but for $1, they're worth trying out. I would say buy one, and if you like that style of gaming, pick up a few more. They're pretty much cookie-cutter rpgs.

I know someone has played all the Kemco RPGs and can tell us which ones are worth buying. I don't want to have to buy all of them for $10. Someone spill details.

There also seems to be a game that has gone free for now called Snuggle Truck. You drive a truck with stuffed animals in it at high speeds and do loop de loops like Sonic the Hedgehog and try to keep them from falling out. It's won a bunch of awards, it looks like, so might as well grab it if it's free.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Does anybody have yesterday? Debating on getting it.[/QUOTE]

I have the PC version. I like it. It gets a bit dark. Kind of short-ish for a PC game but maybe not so much for a mobile game? You're probably looking at 3-5 hours. There's apparently multiple endings but that pretty much boils down to just one choice at the very end so there's not much replayability.

I thought it was well done though. It had good production values and voice acting for an adventure game. I like the story too.

It probably wasn't worth the $15 I paid for it but for $3 I can easily say I think it's worth it if you like adventure games.

[quote name='whitereflection']I know someone has played all the Kemco RPGs and can tell us which ones are worth buying. I don't want to have to buy all of them for $10. Someone spill details.
[/quote]

I haven't played them all but I've played several. By today's standards they probably aren't amazing but they're very faithful to retro JRPGs as a genre right down to lots of grinding and hokey dialog. In spite of (or because of?) that I still kind of like them.

Some of them have touch controls and some of them don't. Personally I like the touch controls. Just throwing up a virtual gamepad on the screen and calling it good smacks of a lazy port.

Symphony of Eternity was their first Android release and I actually like that one the best. They did a lot of updates to it over time and made refinements. It does have touch controls. The job system of that game is reminiscent of some of the earlier final fantasy's and is really flexible and works well.

Symphony of the Origin is the more recently release prequel to Symphony of Eternity. Although I don't have it, it is generally regarded as one of their best games. Unlike all the rest which were ported from, err, I don't what, some Japanese system, Symphony of the Origin was designed from the ground up as a smartphone game.

bread's done
Back