Android games ongoing sales.

[quote name='louiedog']I was just thinking about the free Carmageddon. That will have to be a separate app from the paid one and will be removed after that first day. Does that mean our free version will no longer get updated? Will updates have to be done via the app? Google, in addition to allowing developers to generate codes, really needs to open up the pricing flexibility for paid apps to go free.

I also watched a video and can't tell if it looks worse than my memories of the PC game or better than they actually were. My guess is both.[/QUOTE]

I haven't watched the latest videos, but Carmageddon was pretty good graphics back in the day... but what set it apart back then was having a fun physics models for the cars and pedestrians... this was before games had destructible environments. It was also quite efficiently coded. At least they got us kickstarters GOG codes =D

Interesting... B&N just released an update to bring Play Store, Gapps, & Chrome to the Nook HD/HD+

I always liked the Nook screens and SD cards, I just prefer not to have to fuss too much bypassing the software and bootloader to get the apps I want.

[quote name='asheskitty']Interesting... B&N just released an update to bring Play Store, Gapps, & Chrome to the Nook HD/HD+

I always liked the Nook screens and SD cards, I just prefer not to have to fuss too much bypassing the software and bootloader to get the apps I want.[/QUOTE]

I got my mom an original Galaxy Tab 7" 2 years ago when they were $200 for the 3G model (a damn fine deal at the time). It's pretty much an Angry Birds and Kindle machine but it could definitely use an upgrade. When I saw that news earlier it instantly made the Nook line a consideration for her upcoming birthday. I wasn't even going to look at them before because while I'd be happy to root it and set all that up, I'm too far away to support it if something doesn't work.

9th Dawn I'm enjoying so far, it's kinda like an 8-bit top down version of Elder Scrolls. Bag It is also fun, and fulfills a lifelong dream I've had ever since working as a grocery bagger in highschool/college about having a game about bagging groceries.

[quote name='asheskitty']Interesting... B&N just released an update to bring Play Store, Gapps, & Chrome to the Nook HD/HD+

I always liked the Nook screens and SD cards, I just prefer not to have to fuss too much bypassing the software and bootloader to get the apps I want.[/QUOTE]

Full play store? Kindle on the nook baby!!! I will stick with my nexus.

Nice. I bought a Nook HD+ for Christmas, but ended up returning it cause of their crappy app store.

[quote name='sykotek']Just in case anyone is interested, Kemco's Bonds of the Skies is a newly released RPG that is now available for $2.99 as a limited time launch offer.
[/QUOTE]

There were about 10 of these kemco rpgs that were on sale a week or two ago for $.99. The 3 that i've played all feel the same (eve of the genesis, symphony of eternity, aeon avengers). There are a few differences, but battle mechanics and play were pretty much the same. I doubt this one would be any different than the ones I've played or the other 6 in queue. =)

[quote name='whitereflection']Do they use RPG Maker or something? How do they churn out so many ho-hum games?[/QUOTE]

They're apparently ports from some Japanese system or device or something but I've never quite figured out what. Symphony of the Origin, one of their more recent ones, was billed as their first game designed from the ground up for smartphones but the rest are supposed to be ports from, uh, something.

Information on these in English is a bit scarce.

Carmageddon launched early. The promo version will be pulled after a day. I don't know if that means from the time it went up, or end of day May 10 which was the original launch date. If it's not available for your particular device you can try an app called market helper (must be rooted. not on play store) or an Android PC emulator like bluestacks.

Free promo version

[quote name='louiedog']Carmageddon launched early. The promo version will be pulled after a day. I don't know if that means from the time it went up, or end of day May 10 which was the original launch date. If it's not available for your particular device you can try an app called market helper (must be rooted. not on play store) or an Android PC emulator like bluestacks.

Free promo version[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

If you click "Install", but don't actually install it, is it considered purchased? There doesn't seem to be any way to pull up the purchase history in Google Play and I'm not able to install Carmageddon at the moment.

[quote name='whitereflection']If you click "Install", but don't actually install it, is it considered purchased? There doesn't seem to be any way to pull up the purchase history in Google Play and I'm not able to install Carmageddon at the moment.[/QUOTE]

You can go to https://play.google.com/apps if it shows up there in either the apps installed on or other apps in my library section then it has been registered to your account. Or as an alternative on your device if you open your play store open your menu and click on my apps just like you would to check for app updates and then slide over to the all section if it shows up there it has been registered to your account.

Thanks for the responses. A little off-topic, but hard drive space on my tablet keeps getting filled up gradually. I had 500MB free a month ago, and now I'm down to just half that. I haven't installed anything new and I don't allow automatic updates as far as I know, so what is eating up all the space?

[quote name='shivan128']There were about 10 of these kemco rpgs that were on sale a week or two ago for $.99. The 3 that i've played all feel the same (eve of the genesis, symphony of eternity, aeon avengers). There are a few differences, but battle mechanics and play were pretty much the same. I doubt this one would be any different than the ones I've played or the other 6 in queue. =)[/QUOTE]

My biggest problem with this "pseudo" generation of games that's really a turn off. Cookie cutter games that would hardly cut it in the Genesis/SNES days. Hardly much character in today's games, IMHO. Development time seems to be cut to create these paint by numbers running/social/zynga/rpg games where hardly much of any story or game mechanics are really pushed. Kind of depressing, or just me being depressed and getting old as a gamer. Not a whole lot of games I like for this new mobile/F2P/AdPlay environment. Only so many tower defense and angry birds games a guy can take.

/sorry if this was a bit of a derail/rant for this thread.

Got a copy of Carmageddon, thanks. I thought Google Play didn't allow an app to be free and then later charge. I say this only as a curiousity; maybe they changed the rules or I misunderstood but I remember it coming up before.

[quote name='Syntax Error']Got a copy of Carmageddon, thanks. I thought Google Play didn't allow an app to be free and then later charge. I say this only as a curiousity; maybe they changed the rules or I misunderstood but I remember it coming up before.[/QUOTE]

That's why this is labeled as a promo version. They will be pulling it from the store after ~24 hours. There's a separate listing for the paid version.

Got it last night and lost two hours to working my way back up the ladder. Looks pretty good for an older game and just as much fun as I remember from way back.

[quote name='louiedog']Carmageddon launched early. The promo version will be pulled after a day. I don't know if that means from the time it went up, or end of day May 10 which was the original launch date. If it's not available for your particular device you can try an app called market helper (must be rooted. not on play store) or an Android PC emulator like bluestacks.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up about Carmageddon. I definitely made sure to pull a copy. On a random note, I wonder if this will stay in our app archives? I have pulled full promos from Google Play in the past and those remained available for my future use.

[quote name='Optic_ghost']Thanks for the heads up about Carmageddon. I definitely made sure to pull a copy. On a random note, I wonder if this will stay in our app archives? I have pulled full promos from Google Play in the past and those remained available for my future use.[/QUOTE]

The SCI guys released Carmageddon on GOG/iOS/Android free for their Reincarnation backers. We got mailed GOG codes, but the AppStores don't support that so the "free day" is fulfills that. Thus I expect it'll stick around in your Play Store library.

[quote name='asheskitty']Long time android users probably have it from the $0.10 sale back in Dec 2011. ...they need an updated version of that sale...[/QUOTE]

I hate that sale, it was just before I got with the times and got a smart phone...:cry:

[quote name='asheskitty']Long time android users probably have it from the $0.10 sale back in Dec 2011. ...they need an updated version of that sale...[/QUOTE]

The follow up was a 25 cent sale when they hit 25 billion downloads. I'm worried that at 200 billion downloads all of the 99 cent apps will be $2.

I would like to see a significant discount on PC Minecraft. The near $30 price is outrageous.

Tapatalk is the free app on Amazon today. It's apparently just free now. It's the same version as the $3 one on the Play Store. Perhaps they'll no longer support and update the Amazon version or they're changing up their business model. Maybe it's just free for a limited time but they don't specify.

It's not a game, but a great mobile forum reader for sites like CAG. CAG 3.0 is (seemingly always ;)) just days away and should improve things on the mobile end, but Tapatalk is great until then. It's also extremely handy for many other sites and if your data use is limited it can be a more efficient way to browse forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='louiedog']Tapatalk is the free app on Amazon today.

It's not a game, but a great mobile forum reader for sites like CAG. CAG 3.0 is (seemingly always ;)) just days away and should improve things on the mobile end, but Tapatalk s great until then. It's also extremely handy for many other sites and if your data use is limited it can be a more efficient way to browse forums.[/QUOTE]

wow, thanks for sharing. I've been using the CAG fan made mobile app, but while it's good, still has a lot of bugs needed to be worked out. Will try this out and see how it fairs:)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']wow, thanks for sharing. I've been using the CAG fan made mobile app, but while it's good, still has a lot of bugs needed to be worked out. Will try this out and see how it fairs:)[/QUOTE]

Tapatalk HD works great for me on CAG. (picked it up for $1 a few months back)

[quote name='asheskitty']Tapatalk HD works great for me on CAG. (picked it up for $1 a few months back)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up guys. Gonna go check it out now..

only thing about tapatalk i'm not nuts about is that it runs at startup and always runs in the background. obviously that's necessary because of notifications of new posts and messages and all that, but if you have spotty battery life or a lot of processes running already, it's another drain.

I had an odd thing happen to me. I saw the Carmageddon promo, but decided I would support and paid for it. It didn't work on my android phone, so I uninstalled it. I figured I'd install it later on my Nexus tablet. Google Play Store automatically refunded me for the app a few minutes later. Is that normal? Can I turn it off somewhere?

I've since downloaded the promo free one they had to my tablet. It just seems a bit weird to auto refund me without getting my authorization, or even if I don't complain and ask for a refund.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I had an odd thing happen to me. I saw the Carmageddon promo, but decided I would support and paid for it. It didn't work on my android phone, so I uninstalled it. I figured I'd install it later on my Nexus tablet. Google Play Store automatically refunded me for the app a few minutes later. Is that normal? Can I turn it off somewhere?[/QUOTE]
Google Play auto-refunds if you uninstall the program withing 15 minutes of installing the game. It's for a situation like yours: you buy the game, but it doesn't work so you uninstall it.

If you don't want the refund, simply leave the app installed for longer than 15 minutes.

[quote name='ryanflucas']I had an odd thing happen to me. I saw the Carmageddon promo, but decided I would support and paid for it. It didn't work on my android phone, so I uninstalled it. I figured I'd install it later on my Nexus tablet. Google Play Store automatically refunded me for the app a few minutes later. Is that normal? Can I turn it off somewhere?

I've since downloaded the promo free one they had to my tablet. It just seems a bit weird to auto refund me without getting my authorization, or even if I don't complain and ask for a refund.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this happens to me, too. I hate when I get double charged until the refund goes through, though. Like having $13.98 charged for The Amazing Spiderman until the refund hits. That gets me nervous.

[quote name='manlai']only thing about tapatalk i'm not nuts about is that it runs at startup and always runs in the background. obviously that's necessary because of notifications of new posts and messages and all that, but if you have spotty battery life or a lot of processes running already, it's another drain.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps it's because I have notifications off, but Tapatalk is not listed among the running apps on my phone. Even if it were I imagine it would be a pretty insignificant drain considering how other similar apps work. I haven't had issues with background apps like that actually impacting my battery or device performance since I had older hardware on Gingerbread.

[quote name='manlai']only thing about tapatalk i'm not nuts about is that it runs at startup and always runs in the background. obviously that's necessary because of notifications of new posts and messages and all that, but if you have spotty battery life or a lot of processes running already, it's another drain.[/QUOTE]

If you're rooted, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be, you can use an app called Greenify. It'll keep all selected apps in hibernation mode so they don't waste battery, processing power, or RAM. It'll speed up your device and free resources. Just don't hibernate anything you need real-time notifications from like Facebook, G+, messaging apps, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify

[quote name='FidelityNy']If you're rooted, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be, you can use an app called Greenify. It'll keep all selected apps in hibernation mode so they don't waste battery, processing power, or RAM. It'll speed up your device and free resources. Just don't hibernate anything you need real-time notifications from like Facebook, G+, messaging apps, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify[/QUOTE]

Thanks! And are you kidding me, it's that social networking drivel that I'd want to deep six. ^_~ It can even make Google Now become Google Then. :lol:

[quote name='FidelityNy']If you're rooted, I don't see why anyone wouldn't be, you can use an app called Greenify. It'll keep all selected apps in hibernation mode so they don't waste battery, processing power, or RAM. It'll speed up your device and free resources. Just don't hibernate anything you need real-time notifications from like Facebook, G+, messaging apps, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify[/QUOTE]

Hey FidelityNy,

If I've installed Android onto my touchpad recently, does that mean it is rooted? I'm very new to all of this, so sorry for the question. :)

bread's done
Back