Android games ongoing sales.

seems there will be something new coming from amazon in the next month.

Meijers best buy and walmart all had CLOSEOUTS on their kindle fire hds this week 159.99 each (what is almost everyday price now)
Amazon announced that new KF models would be coming soon. The old models had weaker CPU/GPUs, so they're due for upgrades. I got the new Nexus 7 tab, loving it. Blows away the previous model which I had and dumped.

Loving the Nexus 7 2nd gen !

Just wanted to stop by and say that the MOKO cases on amazon (12.99) are fantastic !

Is PvZ 2 coming to ios/android ?
PvZ 2 is out on iOS. But Apple made an agreement with EA for it to be an exclusive (at the very least timed exclusive). There is no word on when/if it will reach any other platform other than iOS last I checked.

Also waiting on them to give a real version of the game, instead of an f2p money grab.  There was a review on ars that made it seem like an awesome balance of the f2p model and that you didnt need to buy anything.  However once you started reading the comments it became very obvious that ars completely missed everything.  Unless you feel like grinding the same levels over 20 times just to progress to the next area, it might be a money grab.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/plants-vs-zombies-2-review-free-to-play-done-right/

Just figured Id throw that out there, I liked pvz and my girlfriend is a die hard on it and been wanting it forever, but she even said she would pass on it if its f2p junk like the reviews make it seem

Last edited by a moderator:
Also waiting on them to give a real version of the game, instead of an f2p money grab. There was a review on ars that made it seem like an awesome balance of the f2p model and that you didnt need to buy anything. However once you started reading the comments it became very obvious that ars completely missed everything. Unless you feel like grinding the same levels over 20 times just to progress to the next area, it might be a money grab.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/08/plants-vs-zombies-2-review-free-to-play-done-right/

Just figured Id throw that out there, I liked pvz and my girlfriend is a die hard on it and been wanting it forever, but she even said she would pass on it if its f2p junk like the reviews make it seem
Yes if you want every single upgrade/plant then its playing each level 4 times (max 3 stars after the initial beat). Then you would have to grind keys. I got 8 keys in the first section while only playing the original 12ish levels then getting 7 more stars, meaning max 20 levels, 7 being repeats. To unlock everything inthe first section it takes 18 keys if I remember right (a 3, a 4 and a 5 and a 6s). The 3 and 4 keyed ones are plants (grave buster and double sunflower) . The higher ones are unlocks of an extra plant food and 25% bonus when digging up plants. Think I missed one other keyed area in the first section. Also in each keyed area there are 3 extra new levels

I've done most of the 2nd section and havent bought 1 thing. I think the model is fine. Yes if you want every upgrade/plant then you will be grinding, but if you just choose the plants then you will probably get every plant in the game that you can with very little repeat levels.

They also added special spawns that encourage repeat plays but are not necessary.

More recently-released games are on sale at Google Play - The Walking Dead Assault is $1.49 and Dropchord is down to $.99.

Yes if you want every single upgrade/plant then its playing each level 4 times (max 3 stars after the initial beat). Then you would have to grind keys. I got 8 keys in the first section while only playing the original 12ish levels then getting 7 more stars, meaning max 20 levels, 7 being repeats. To unlock everything inthe first section it takes 18 keys if I remember right (a 3, a 4 and a 5 and a 6s). The 3 and 4 keyed ones are plants (grave buster and double sunflower) . The higher ones are unlocks of an extra plant food and 25% bonus when digging up plants. Think I missed one other keyed area in the first section. Also in each keyed area there are 3 extra new levels

I've done most of the 2nd section and havent bought 1 thing. I think the model is fine. Yes if you want every upgrade/plant then you will be grinding, but if you just choose the plants then you will probably get every plant in the game that you can with very little repeat levels.

They also added special spawns that encourage repeat plays but are not necessary.
I actually enjoy replaying the levels. Some may consider it grinding, but with each new star, there are different objectives that you need fulfill. Some levels require that you don't spend more than #### sun, or that you have to generate #### sun. You may have to keep the zombies from getting to a certain spot on the board, or you may be stuck with certain plants. These new goals keep the levels fresh and interesting, even if you're playing them for the 4th time. I'm 2 stars from 100% on the first level, and I'm excited to move on to the next one, and I don't envision spending a penny out of pocket.

Some people may not like the f2p model, but it looks like that's where the future of mobile gaming is headed, because there are enough people out there that are willing to pay. Some people would rather drop money down and get a complete game right off the bat (I'm in this camp), but if the game is done right, those people should be able to progress in the game without having to pay at all. PvZ2 does this (so far), and I don't see myself putting it down any time soon.

Hey guys, a fellow CAG pointed me over to this thread and said some of you might be interested if I post here; sorry for the somewhat off-topic post.  I'm hosting a giveaway for the paid version my new Android game, a puzzle game called Super Blackout, if anyone wants to check it out: giveaway is here.  There are five copies to give away, and so far two people have entered, so your chances of winning are very good. ;)

The Room is on sale for $0.99 and just got an update that added new content in the form of an Epilogue chapter. It's excellent and one of my favorite games on Android.

It was also in the beat the average tier of a Humble Bundle. That version has also been updated.

The Room is on sale for $0.99 and just got an update that added new content in the form of an Epilogue chapter. It's excellent and one of my favorite games on Android.

It was also in the beat the average tier of a Humble Bundle. That version has also been updated.
What does it take to run this game? I have a Motorola Photon 4G and it says it's incompatible.

What does it take to run this game? I have a Motorola Photon 4G and it says it's incompatible.
The play store is finicky like this. Often times games will actually run fine, but are listed as incompatible for whatever reason. What version of android are you running? If it's an older version that could be one reason. I played it on the ancient Motorola Droid S (or 2, I forget how they actually list it) and it ran almost perfectly aside from the occasional framerate stutter. For anyone curious I highly recommend it. It's only 2-3 hours long but is a great adventure style puzzle game that has an interesting story hidden underneath. Really glad to hear they updated it since the original ending was less that satisfying. Hopefully the epilogue does a better job, as it was pretty much my only complaint about the game :)

The play store is finicky like this. Often times games will actually run fine, but are listed as incompatible for whatever reason. What version of android are you running? If it's an older version that could be one reason. I played it on the ancient Motorola Droid S (or 2, I forget how they actually list it) and it ran almost perfectly aside from the occasional framerate stutter. For anyone curious I highly recommend it. It's only 2-3 hours long but is a great adventure style puzzle game that has an interesting story hidden underneath. Really glad to hear they updated it since the original ending was less that satisfying. Hopefully the epilogue does a better job, as it was pretty much my only complaint about the game :)
Sometimes the developers or publishers get really anal and will only allow games to work for specific hardware that they tested it on, but most Android apps will run on most Android devices (stuff like the Logitech Revue aside which uses a totally different chipset than most).

There's usually hoop jumping ways to get around it, especially if you are rooted. You can edit build.props and such and also Chainfire can emulator Tegra on non-Tegra devices etc but it's a pain to go through all of that.

Ironically, if you just err, find a direct download for the apk somewhere and install it that way it's usually very simple and works just fine. :p

No clue. It runs perfectly on my Photon Q which is the successor to your phone. It's not listed as compatible with any of my older stuff though.
actually the photon q is what i have. i love they keyboard slider. few phones have a physical keyboard.

Apparently there is an Indie Mega Sale for Labor Day, which is really just 8 games so not so Mega, anyway The Room for 99 cents is apparently part of that sale.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/promotion_3000326_indie_gaming_sale

Gear Jack - $0.99

SpaceChem Mobile - $2.99

Jack Lumber - $1.99

Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery - $1.99

The Walking Dead: Assault - $1.49

Combo Crew - $0.99

The Room - $0.99

Containment The Zombie Puzzler - $0.99

just  noticed amazon has 

Chaos rings and chaos rings OMEGA  for half off... to  4.49 each (normal 9)

anyone play these and are they worth it 

Kingdom Rush finally came out for Android, and it has a launch sale price of $0.99.  Been waiting on this one for awhile!  I hear it's one of the top tower defense mobile games out there.

It has also been Greenlit on Steam for some extra content I believe.

Several Android apps are free at the moment on Amazon. It's all stuff that has been FAoTD before like Angry Birds etc. but some people may have missed these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nav_sap_mas_13_08_30?_encoding=UTF8&hidden-keywords=B004TTZHBK%7CB004WGGQPQ%7CB004SBQGHS%7CB00A757J0W%7CB009MCRHH6%7CB004SKHJF2%7CB005D9MUWY%7CB004T4LUPW%7CB00846WWVM%7CB005J0VPNC&rh=i%3Amobile-apps%2Cn%3A2350149011

Angry Birds (Ad-Free)
Drawing Pad
PAC-MAN HD (Kindle Tablet Edition) 
World of Goo
SwiftKey 
CalenGoo
Sprinkle
Paper Camera
Jamie's 20 Minute Meals
Shazam Encore

*Edit: Cut the Rope is free today too http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058VW36U

Kingdom Rush finally came out for Android, and it has a launch sale price of $0.99. Been waiting on this one for awhile! I hear it's one of the top tower defense mobile games out there.

It's also Greenlit for Steam for some extra content I believe: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ironhidegames.android.kingdomrush&hl=en
if you want to try it for free, it's available as a google chrome app. I played a bit of it and really enjoyed it, though I should mention I'm a big fan of TD games in general. I'm actually surprised it's only just now coming to android, I would have expected it to make the jump some time ago. Now just to wait for amazon to give it away for free ;)

Several Android apps are free at the moment on Amazon. It's all stuff that has been FAoTD before like Angry Birds etc. but some people may have missed these.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nav_sap_mas_13_08_30?_encoding=UTF8&hidden-keywords=B004TTZHBK|B004WGGQPQ|B004SBQGHS|B00A757J0W|B009MCRHH6|B004SKHJF2|B005D9MUWY|B004T4LUPW|B00846WWVM|B005J0VPNC&rh=i%3Amobile-apps%2Cn%3A2350149011

Angry Birds (Ad-Free)
Drawing Pad
World of Goo
SwiftKey
CalenGoo
Sprinkle
Paper Camera
Jamie's 20 Minute Meals
Shazam Encore
Nice, thanks for the heads up. I missed a few of these when they were free so I went ahead and picked them all up. Especially glad about swiftkey since I've been wanting a better keyboard (android's default has never worked well for me, but maybe I was just too used to iOS).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nav_sap_mas_13_08_30?_encoding=UTF8&hidden-keywords=B004TTZHBK%7CB004WGGQPQ%7CB004SBQGHS%7CB00A757J0W%7CB009MCRHH6%7CB004SKHJF2%7CB005D9MUWY%7CB004T4LUPW%7CB00846WWVM%7CB005J0VPNC&rh=i%3Amobile-apps%2Cn%3A2350149011

Angry Birds (Ad-Free)
Drawing Pad
World of Goo
SwiftKey
CalenGoo
Sprinkle
Paper Camera
Jamie's 20 Minute Meals
Shazam Encore

*Edit: Cut the Rope is free today too http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058VW36U
Nice find! Downloading a few of these now.

if you want to try it for free, it's available as a google chrome app. I played a bit of it and really enjoyed it, though I should mention I'm a big fan of TD games in general. I'm actually surprised it's only just now coming to android, I would have expected it to make the jump some time ago. Now just to wait for amazon to give it away for free ;)
Yeah, I'm a sucker for TD, so it was instant buy for me! I was actually purposefully avoiding the chrome app, so that I could play through the whole thing fresh and complete, for some reason.

On another note, Containment: The Zombie Puzzler (also on sale) is a game I played originally on Steam. It's a decent twist on the match 3 puzzle formula that has you surrounding zombies with matching humans to slay them. I beat the campaign in a few hours, but never got around to touching the other modes. Some of the boss battles feel a bit luck based and took some retries, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

If you don't have Swiftkey, get it. It's Flow function is not as good as Swype if you use that, but everything else is better, including the customization. The option that keeps me coming back to Swiftkey is the ability to customize the duration of the long-press. I hate how long you have to press a key in Swype before it switches to a number. I have mine set to 170 ms in Swiftkey, which makes typing anything with numbers in it go that much smoother. Seriously, it's free, so get it and try it. Even if you don't like it, no harm done.

Sometimes the developers or publishers get really anal and will only allow games to work for specific hardware that they tested it on, but most Android apps will run on most Android devices (stuff like the Logitech Revue aside which uses a totally different chipset than most).

There's usually hoop jumping ways to get around it, especially if you are rooted. You can edit build.props and such and also Chainfire can emulator Tegra on non-Tegra devices etc but it's a pain to go through all of that.

Ironically, if you just err, find a direct download for the apk somewhere and install it that way it's usually very simple and works just fine. :p
I actually have had some luck emailing the publishers and asking them to unlock the game. For example, I emailed TinkerHouse games because Penny Arcade 3 wouldn't install on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 1, and they unlocked it for me.

No clue. It runs perfectly on my Photon Q which is the successor to your phone. It's not listed as compatible with any of my older stuff though.
I can't buy it through the play store. The option to install to my device is grayed out.

(I have a Motorola Photon Q). Do I need to sign out, buy it, and then just transfer the files?

I can't buy it through the play store. The option to install to my device is grayed out.

(I have a Motorola Photon Q). Do I need to sign out, buy it, and then just transfer the files?
No clue why it's not working for you. I got mine from the Humble Bundle that it was in so I didn't download it from the play store, but when I go to the store on the web it says it's compatible and also gives me the option to buy on my phone.

I'm running a custom ROM, not the official firmware, so I'm on 4.2.2 rather than 4.0.4 or 4.1.2 which are the only official versions. I can't think of any other games that are restricted to 4.2+, so that doesn't seem like it would be the issue.

Are you on Sprint? These things can also be locked to region/carrier.

You may need to contact the developer with this one.

Yeah it says it is incompattible with my Sprint Motorola XT897.

Go figure.

Been playing Heroes of Kavalia. My Muppet Show. 

10000000, Friendly Fire

And whatever that ghost/card battle game from Zynga is called.

Nice, thanks for the heads up. I missed a few of these when they were free so I went ahead and picked them all up. Especially glad about swiftkey since I've been wanting a better keyboard (android's default has never worked well for me, but maybe I was just too used to iOS).
I'm also a convert from iOS. The keyboard that came with my Galaxy S4 is meh, but the official Google keyboard(that used to be available on Nexus device only) recently released by Google works a treat. It's free and can be downloaded from the Playstore.

I downloaded Swiftkey and tried it out... while Swiftkey is great, the keyboard layouts are rather busy and the Google Keyboard does just about everything that Swiftkey does, including the two biggest features: predictive text and gesture swiping.

I picked up Walking Dead from the sale, and also Containment and Kingdom Rush for what I assume are discounts.  I still have $5 or so in Play credit from buying my Nexus and so far, kingdom Rush is pretty god damn awesome.

Not a huge discount but I don't see anyone mentioning that Last Express is discounted to 3.99 for launch. I loved this game when it originally came out for the PC.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dotemu.thelastexpress&referrer=utm_source%3Ddotemu_jess
Thanks for posting this. I love this game and knew it was available for iOS but not Android. But how do you know $3.99 is a promotional price and not the normal price? I'm not sure if I should buy it yet and it'd be great if it gets lower.

How exactly do I get that...? I have the Amazon App installed. But I can't search the thing up.
I clicked the 'get it' button on that page and it directed me to the direct page in the Amazon Appstore app.

Also, you can purchase it through the amazon website the same way through a browser and it should show up in your 'My Apps' list.

I clicked the 'get it' button on that page and it directed me to the direct page in the Amazon Appstore app.

Also, you can purchase it through the amazon website the same way through a browser and it should show up in your 'My Apps' list.
That's what puzzling. I can't buy the thing. It only leads me to download the Amazon App, which I did. No further instructions on what to do and searching in the app it self gives no matching result.

o3t1UdD.png

That's what puzzling. I can't buy the thing. It only leads me to download the Amazon App, which I did. No further instructions on what to do and searching in the app it self gives no matching result.

o3t1UdD.png
I think you have to add your device to your Amazon account under Your Account > Your Apps and Devices and then go to Add A Device. It said it was not compatible with my phone or tablet but still let me add it. I will download and let you know.

bread's done
Back