[Anime] Anyone going to watch Appleseed the Movie?

woobacca

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Limited theater release starts today - http://www.appleseedthemovie.com/

For those who don't know, Appleseed comes from the mind of Masamune Shirow, the genius behind Ghost in the Shell. This will be a completely different movie, starting with the director and even character designs, but the trailer looks damn amazing IMO.

[quote name='woobacca']Limited theater release starts today - http://www.appleseedthemovie.com/

For those who don't know, Appleseed comes from the mind of Masamune Shirow, the genius behind Ghost in the Shell. This will be a completely different movie, starting with the director and even character designs, but the trailer looks damn amazing IMO.[/quote]

If I didn't live in such a lame-ass area I would.

EDIT: Not sure why I quoted you. I may need some more coffee....

Closest to me is in CA. If there were any around here, I'd think about going to see it. I'll just wait to rent it at BB when it gets to DVD.

I saw Innocence in a theater and really enjoyed it, my first anime at a theater. I would love to see Appleseed and more anime in theaters, just not close to any theater on that list.

i wasnt too imporessed by the trailer (the long version)
and reviews have been up and down
but its so rare to see anime in the theatre i probably will see this

Given the success of Ghost in the Shell, I wonder why they chose so few locations. Anime is still too risky and far from main stream I guess. I'm surprised it's not even opening anywhere near Boston. That's where I had caught GITS.

I saw this. Not in theaters, though. 8-[

It was solid. It was certainly good enough for me to see it in theaters, if it were playing near here. Though I'm not a huge Ghost In The Shell fan, I'd say that Appleseed '04 is just as good in a different way. The animation is stunning and the story is captivating. It's much better than most "regular" movies that are playing right now.

I saw it Tuesday night at a special showing in Minneapolis put on by Geneon. The movie is pretty damn good. The animation is amazing, and the dub is pretty good as well. Much better then that pretentious crap people call Ghost in the Shell. 8/10

[quote name='Rihan']I saw it Tuesday night at a special showing in Minneapolis put on by Geneon. The movie is pretty damn good. The animation is amazing, and the dub is pretty good as well. 8/10[/quote]
8/10 sounds about right. I'd agree with that score. Anyone who even thinks the movie has potential, go check it out. You'll be pleasantly surprised. (I saw the subbed version, though.)

[quote name='woobacca']Given the success of Ghost in the Shell, I wonder why they chose so few locations. Anime is still too risky and far from main stream I guess. I'm surprised it's not even opening anywhere near Boston. That's where I had caught GITS.[/quote]

They are doing a "test run" right now to see how it does. If it does well, it will expand to Minneapolis (confirmed by Geneon), and then a few other cities, most likely kinda what happened with Spirited Away. Limited release, did well, ended up in a little over 400 theatres. I doubt it will get that big, as Spirited Away had the Disney name behind it, but im sure it will expand to at least 50-60 theatres at some point.

Pretty pictures are all well and good, but what about the story? Is is compelling? Does it suck you in, or is it just your typical anime plot? For me, great stories in Anime are:Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, etc.
I don't care how it looks but I want a good story.

First off, i'd like to know what kind of story you are getting out of GitS.

The story is great. It has a few murky points, but when all is said and done, you feel like you have actualy watched a good piece of cinema instead of walking out scratching your head wondering what drugs the director was on when he made it.

[quote name='Rihan']First off, i'd like to know what kind of story you are getting out of GitS.

The story is great. It has a few murky points, but when all is said and done, you feel like you have actualy watched a good piece of cinema instead of walking out scratching your head wondering what drugs the director was on when he made it.[/quote]

Ghost in the Shell had one of the better stories in recent memory. But I can't do it justice by typing a few sentences.

But I'm glad to hear that Appleseed has a story. Most anime I watch gives preference to action over plot. I may have to watch it.

I have it on dvd :whistle2:$ Eh the movie was okay. If its playing in your area go see it, but dont drive an hour or two away just to go see it.

[quote name='Rihan']I saw it Tuesday night at a special showing in Minneapolis put on by Geneon. The movie is pretty damn good. The animation is amazing, and the dub is pretty good as well. Much better then that pretentious crap people call Ghost in the Shell. 8/10[/quote]

Noooooooooooooo! How in the world did I miss this? Didn't hear a thing about it and certainly didn't see anything in the StarTribune. Damn...

[quote name='Rihan'][quote name='CrimGhost']I have it on dvd :whistle2:$ [/quote]

:fridge:[/quote]

Hey ill buy it when it comes out on Region 1 dvd. I got Casshern too, $8.

I would, if it wasn't a 6 hour drive to Chicago.

Seriously, entertainment companies need to leard that there is this whole huge area between New York and California.

[quote name='CrimGhost'][quote name='Rihan'][quote name='CrimGhost']I have it on dvd :whistle2:$ [/quote]

Hey ill buy it when it comes out on Region 1 dvd. I got Casshern too, $8.[/quote]

Comes out in May.

[quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='Rihan']First off, i'd like to know what kind of story you are getting out of GitS.

The story is great. It has a few murky points, but when all is said and done, you feel like you have actualy watched a good piece of cinema instead of walking out scratching your head wondering what drugs the director was on when he made it.[/quote]

Ghost in the Shell had one of the better stories in recent memory. But I can't do it justice by typing a few sentences.

But I'm glad to hear that Appleseed has a story. Most anime I watch gives preference to action over plot. I may have to watch it.[/quote]

If you liked the story in GitS, you should know that the manga really is a fantastic piece of work. Both GitS and Appleseed are pretty comparable in the manga as they both have excellent stories heavy with sociopolitical, scientific and environmental themes. Obviously, when the movies have been made, so much of it has to be cut or streamlined to make a film - (especially in the case of GiTS, what feels like a side story in the manga is the main plot of the movie) but both stories have a good foundation, as they they were both written / drawn by the same artist, Masamune Shirow.

Also bear in mind that the director of the GitS movies definitely drew a very different feel from his films than the manga evoked, so I wouldn't count on the Appleseed movie necessarily feeling the same.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage'][quote name='kaji7p56'][quote name='Rihan']First off, i'd like to know what kind of story you are getting out of GitS.

But I'm glad to hear that Appleseed has a story. Most anime I watch gives preference to action over plot. I may have to watch it.[/quote]

If you liked the story in GitS, you should know that the manga really is a fantastic piece of work. Both GitS and Appleseed are pretty comparable in the manga as they both have excellent stories heavy with sociopolitical, scientific and environmental themes. Obviously, when the movies have been made, so much of it has to be cut or streamlined to make a film - (especially in the case of GiTS, what feels like a side story in the manga is the main plot of the movie) but both stories have a good foundation, as they they were both written / drawn by the same artist, Masamune Shirow.

Also bear in mind that the director of the GitS movies definitely drew a very different feel from his films than the manga evoked, so I wouldn't count on the Appleseed movie necessarily feeling the same.[/quote]

Did they ever release the Manga in English?

Yes, the Appleseed manga had a run in English. It was either Eclipse or First but both of them are history. Any recent edition will be a different publisher.

[quote name='epobirs']Yes, the Appleseed manga had a run in English. It was either Eclipse or First but both of them are history. Any recent edition will be a different publisher.[/quote]

That's too bad.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...43/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-1153795-8854344

Price isn't too bad.

From what I've read of the new movie it makes some odd changes. In the manga my impression was that Biareos had already become a cyborg when he met Deunan Knute and they'd always had a Platonic relationship by necessity. An article in the LA Times this weeks indicates that they were lovers and Briareos became a cyborg only recently after being severely wounded.

saw this movie available on bittorrent sites but clueless to what it was but after reading some of the posts i might just give it a download :wink:

[quote name='phatbunbao']saw this movie available on bittorrent sites but clueless to what it was but after reading some of the posts i might just give it a download :wink:[/quote]

:twoguns: :fridge: bad pirate, bad!

[quote name='epobirs']Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...43/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-1153795-8854344

Price isn't too bad.

From what I've read of the new movie it makes some odd changes. In the manga my impression was that Biareos had already become a cyborg when he met Deunan Knute and they'd always had a Platonic relationship by necessity. An article in the LA Times this weeks indicates that they were lovers and Briareos became a cyborg only recently after being severely wounded.[/quote]

Thanks, just got it along with two Sin City books.

Rihan's being a bit generous with this one... I went with him to the screening, and though it's passable as an action flick, it's not really something that's going to leave a lasting impression. Appleseed has some superb visuals, and I guess the explosions and gunfire might keep your interest for one viewing (which is more than I can say for the pretentious snore-fest that was Ghost in the Shell: Innocence), but the shallow characters and trite dialogue ensured that it's not something I'd watch again. Predictable, melodramatic futuristic police action-drama at its most average. Not bad, just not exceptional. 6/10!

Those free copies of Samurai Champloo volume 1 that Geneon was handing out at the screening, however... those were nice!

Well, the theatres listed are just for the first week. I'm sure (like GITS: Innocence) that there will be more locations in the coming weeks. I will go see it when it is within a 2 hour drive.

[quote name='CrimGhost'][quote name='Rihan'][quote name='CrimGhost']I have it on dvd :whistle2:$ [/quote]

Hey ill buy it when it comes out on Region 1 dvd. I got Casshern too, $8.[/quote]

Casshern? That's one of my most-anticipated movies for this year when I found out it was coming here. The trailer just blew me away even though I didn't know what was going on. How was it?

[quote name='CrashSpyro123']Casshern? That's one of my most-anticipated movies for this year when I found out it was coming here. The trailer just blew me away even though I didn't know what was going on. How was it?[/quote]

I was really excited to see Casshern after the trailer, too. Anyhow, I downloaded the film a month or so ago, and... well, I hope you have really low expectations, because it's not very good. Fans of bad live-action Japanese films might find something to enjoy here, though.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon'][quote name='CrashSpyro123']Casshern? That's one of my most-anticipated movies for this year when I found out it was coming here. The trailer just blew me away even though I didn't know what was going on. How was it?[/quote]

I was really excited to see Casshern after the trailer, too. Anyhow, I downloaded the film a month or so ago, and... well, I hope you have really low expectations, because it's not very good. Fans of bad live-action Japanese films might find something to enjoy here, though.[/quote]

I agree, Story is kinda hard to follow. The battles are short and have to much camera movements. The acting is so-so. The only real Upside is that is has some cool cgi shots. This movie reminded me of Natural City ... all hype

I've never been one for Ghost in the Shell, but this sounds pretty damn good - I'll be looking for it when it makes it to dvd as apparently, New Orleans is too busy preping for Mardi Gras to have any showings.

[quote name='coolieman2001']I just bought my tickets for the 8:50 Saturday night showing at the AMC Empire in NY. Any of you cags will be there ?[/quote]
I'd be heading into NYC if my buddy hadn't invited me to hang out in Boston for the weekend. Now that I'm up here, I just found out why the Landmark Kendall Square, where I had originally seen GITS, is not showing this. Instead they're showing Sky Blue, a South Korean anime -
http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?_pgtyp=pdct&mid=19147

Seems to have received better reviews than Appleseed. Anyway, we're going to watch it later today. Hopefully Appleseed will still be around next week.

Edit: It's also highly possible that the Landmark Kendall Square owner decided not to show Appleseed cause he/she thought it sucked. I shouldn't presume that this theater has some rule against showing more than one anime at the same time.

[quote name='woobacca'][quote name='coolieman2001']I just bought my tickets for the 8:50 Saturday night showing at the AMC Empire in NY. Any of you cags will be there ?[/quote]
I'd be heading into NYC if my buddy hadn't invited me to hang out in Boston for the weekend. Now that I'm up here, I just found out why the Landmark Kendall Square, where I had originally seen GITS, is not showing this. Instead they're showing Sky Blue, a South Korean anime -
http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?_pgtyp=pdct&mid=19147

Seems to have received better reviews than Appleseed. Anyway, we're going to watch it later today. Hopefully Appleseed will still be around next week.

Edit: It's also highly possible that the Landmark Kendall Square owner decided not to show Appleseed cause he/she thought it sucked. I shouldn't presume that this theater has some rule against showing more than one anime at the same time.[/quote]

Ohh man lucky you. Sky Blue looks awsome. I would kill to see Sky Blue!!
Its coming to NY in late Feb I believe. Iam mos def gonna grab some tickets for opening night when it hits NY. Enjoy Bud !

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Rihan's being a bit generous with this one... I went with him to the screening, and though it's passable as an action flick, it's not really something that's going to leave a lasting impression. Appleseed has some superb visuals, and I guess the explosions and gunfire might keep your interest for one viewing (which is more than I can say for the pretentious snore-fest that was Ghost in the Shell: Innocence), but the shallow characters and trite dialogue ensured that it's not something I'd watch again. Predictable, melodramatic futuristic police action-drama at its most average. Not bad, just not exceptional. 6/10!

Those free copies of Samurai Champloo volume 1 that Geneon was handing out at the screening, however... those were nice![/quote]

:: weeping :: And I hear that it was at the MoA AMC, correct? I'm less than a stone's throw away from it and I didn't even know about this. :(

[quote name='Nogib']:: weeping :: And I hear that it was at the MoA AMC, correct? I'm less than a stone's throw away from it and I didn't even know about this. :([/quote]

Yup, at AMC. Sorry you missed out, but hopefully Geneon will do something like this again in the future!

I just got back frrom seeing appleseed. ........ its freakin awsome. I cant wait for it to hit DVD. Its got everything you would want in an anime. It also had an English Dub, not like GITS 2 . Everybody has to go see this when it hits your local theaters. I read that there planning on making 2 sequels and a possoble live action movie. Great News

[quote name='coolieman2001']Its got everything you would want in an anime.[/quote]

Sure, unless you actually want more than a good way to test a home sound system. Like I said before, Appleseed is a passable action flick suitable for one viewing, but that's about it. Shallow characters and stiff dialogue ensure that this film remains forgettable. Actually, this seems to be where most anime films fail. Perhaps it's due to the format, and the limited amount of time that the storyteller has to tell his tale. Of course, there are a few exceptions... Studio Ghibli and Satoshi Kon films come to mind. Maybe the "futuristic cyber-police" genre is just too dry to glean anything meaningful from.

(Forgive me if this seems like an attack, it's not intended as such. I just require the anime I enjoy to have a little more depth.)

[quote name='Nogib'][quote name='Kirin Lemon']Rihan's being a bit generous with this one... I went with him to the screening, and though it's passable as an action flick, it's not really something that's going to leave a lasting impression. Appleseed has some superb visuals, and I guess the explosions and gunfire might keep your interest for one viewing (which is more than I can say for the pretentious snore-fest that was Ghost in the Shell: Innocence), but the shallow characters and trite dialogue ensured that it's not something I'd watch again. Predictable, melodramatic futuristic police action-drama at its most average. Not bad, just not exceptional. 6/10!

Those free copies of Samurai Champloo volume 1 that Geneon was handing out at the screening, however... those were nice![/quote]

:: weeping :: And I hear that it was at the MoA AMC, correct? I'm less than a stone's throw away from it and I didn't even know about this. :([/quote]

I found out about it literaly 6 hours before it was to start, and i live a little over 2 hours away, but i was lucky enough to have a completely free day. The event was originaly only supposed to be for employees of Media Play, Best Buy, Suncoast, and the like, but due to poor response from the stores, they decided to open it up to the public. I am on staff with Anime Detour and Geneon got in touch with us the morning of about it. They admit that it was a last minute thing, however they have learned from this. They are planning 2 other such events in the near future in Minneapolis and will be sure to open it up to the public sooner. :)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon'][quote name='coolieman2001']Its got everything you would want in an anime.[/quote]

Sure, unless you actually want more than a good way to test a home sound system. Like I said before, Appleseed is a passable action flick suitable for one viewing, but that's about it. Shallow characters and stiff dialogue ensure that this film remains forgettable. Actually, this seems to be where most anime films fail. Perhaps it's due to the format, and the limited amount of time that the storyteller has to tell his tale. Of course, there are a few exceptions... Studio Ghibli and Satoshi Kon films come to mind. Maybe the "futuristic cyber-police" genre is just too dry to glean anything meaningful from.

(Forgive me if this seems like an attack, it's not intended as such. I just require the anime I enjoy to have a little more depth.)[/quote]

Thats just the way it is for anime movies. They dont have 24 Eps to flush the characters out. Most people would rather have more action then character development in a 1 hour and a half anime movie. Take for example GITS 2 and Millennium Actress those suckers had alot more character development then pure action sequences and I for one was falling asleep in some parts. I think an example of a perfect balance can be seem in Spirted away and GITS 1. I still stand by what I said about Applseed having everything you want in an anime movie \:D/

bread's done
Back