Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the Blu-ray set of Samurai Pizza Cats ($20 on Amazon) is way cheaper than the DVD set , but otherwise I don't understand why they would release it on Blu like that.  I already have the Kyatto Ninden Teyandee DVD, since that's how I originally watched it, but I picked up the dub for the kids.

Wow, it's all on one disc?  Is there at least some kind of resume function or something?

Well, besides no one else mentioned it yet here, Strawberry Marshmallow also being re-released by Sentai as well. But yeah, on the upcoming subject, Azu-Dai won't have the OVA included, nothing yet on Ichi-Maro's situation if their OVA will be included but we'll see.

(Besides Azu-Dai on the comedy front, I wish Sentai or whoever can also get "Cromartie High School" as a re-release since its kinda the reverse Azu-Dai in a sense...and Freddie! X3)
Ask and you shall receive. Discotek Media Picks Up Cromartie High School Anime

Discotek Media announced on Thursday that it plans to release the Cromartie High School with Japanese and English dubs in April or May.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-21/discotek-media-picks-up-cromartie-high-school-anime/.97830

Well, the Blu-ray set of Samurai Pizza Cats ($20 on Amazon) is way cheaper than the DVD set , but otherwise I don't understand why they would release it on Blu like that. I already have the Kyatto Ninden Teyandee DVD, since that's how I originally watched it, but I picked up the dub for the kids.
Cost effectiveness. They don't have the money to put a 50 episode series in HD Blu-ray and figured that people wouldn't want to pay $80-$100 for the set. Using the SD masters cuts down production costs drastically.

Cro-High seems like a perfect fit for Discotek.  I'm happy that shows like this and Aumanga Daioh are getting picked up for retail release again.  It will be good if they can help even one more anime fan to discover these shows for the first time.

Cost effectiveness. They don't have the money to put a 50 episode series in HD Blu-ray and figured that people wouldn't want to pay $80-$100 for the set. Using the SD masters cuts down production costs drastically.
Weird, is there a market for SD on HD disks? The only reasons I can see is to save shelf space or if the cost of pressing a Blu-ray is that much cheaper than a bunch of DVDs. Otherwise, unless they program it in you usually lose the resume feature, and I don't think most players will upscale a SD on Blu-ray the same way they will a DVD. Are there other releases (non anime) like this?

Weird, is there a market for SD on HD disks? The only reasons I can see is to save shelf space or if the cost of pressing a Blu-ray is that much cheaper than a bunch of DVDs. Otherwise, unless they program it in you usually lose the resume feature, and I don't think most players will upscale a SD on Blu-ray the same way they will a DVD. Are there other releases (non anime) like this?
I believe this is the first ever commercially available SD on Blu-ray release, anime or otherwise.

Remember that Discotek is a very small company. More people work at any random Chik-Fil-A than at Discotek. Their Blu-ray releases thus far were crowdfunded. The patent charges for Blu-ray, though much cheaper than 5 years ago, is still multiple times that of DVD.

Given that Discotek mostly deals in older anime that don't look amazing, they're using Samurai Pizza Cats as a test ground to see if anime fans are willing to sacrifice HD quality for a cheaper price and saving shelf space.

As for why Samurai Pizza Cats was chosen, it likely has to do with the quality of the visuals. SPC doesn't exactly have the greatest visuals, so making it HD won't make too much of a difference for most people.

Well, that was quick in the mention of Cro High being re-released, by Discotek nonetheless, I expected Sentai (since you know, was ADV back then), but this is at least better now, I'm OK with this! X3

Well, that was quick in the mention of Cro High being re-released, by Discotek nonetheless, I expected Sentai (since you know, was ADV back then), but this is at least better now, I'm OK with this! X3
Discotek must have read your comment and were like. "NeoStrayCat wants Cro High! WE NEED TO PICK IT UP"

=P

Discotek must have read your comment and were like. "NeoStrayCat wants Cro High! WE NEED TO PICK IT UP"
dr-strangelove-war-room.jpg

MovieBob did an episode on his web-series about it, it was fascinating.

https://youtu.be/788uRzxQvKo?list=PL2645246767925511

I picked up a copy at Best Buy while I was on my lunch break today. I'll try to give it a look-see sometime over the weekend. Only had to pay $20 for it.
I watched it back in the day and might consider getting it if it stay that price and or drops to around $15.

On a side note, got these in today.

IMG_0662_zpsrtpcria3.jpg

IMG_0658_zps0yvccgfo.jpg

=P
Well, not really, lol, I mentioned off in socials to Sentai (since you know, was ADV) and in other forums/etc. I go to, but since Discotek picked up the re-release the day before Sentai picked up Azu-Dai, it was a matter of time, lol. X3

I mean, yeah, I'm happy Cro-High is back for a re-release, but I've seen plenty enough when G4 had it on their block a long while back.

(Also, I hardly post on CAG, but I do check out the topics I follow most of the time, so give me a break, lol. XD)

Well, not really, lol, I mentioned off in socials to Sentai (since you know, was ADV) and in other forums/etc. I go to, but since Discotek picked up the re-release the day before Sentai picked up Azu-Dai, it was a matter of time, lol. X3

I mean, yeah, I'm happy Cro-High is back for a re-release, but I've seen plenty enough when G4 had it on their block a long while back.
My explanation was better

Shot them an email yesterday. Didnt have a chance to call today. No response though.

Its getting too annoying to buy anime from them now lmao. I might take a break for a lil bit.
If you shot them an email today you won't get an answer till Monday probably. If you emailed them before noon CST you might have gotten something. Anything past 1400 CST usually is handed the next business day.

As far as them not finding your order? If it was preordered before the site revamp then I doubt it moved over. I know a lot of orders and the purchase history was lost. And as far as buying anime from them, they have the best CS of any anime company I have seen. If you want bad CS stick with AMZ and or BB. AMZ is a complete and utter joke. I would rather be back in Iraq and the IED's then buy and or have to deal with AMZ. BB is slightly better but only slighty. As far as Funi? If you don't mind waiting for about 2 days then they are ok. Not the best but not the worst I have seen. :)

Apparently Funimation doesn't have rights for Darker Than Black anymore, so if you have the slightest inkling of owning it better do it sooner than later before the prices skyrocket. Or Aniplex decides to release it themselves and make it completely unaffordable.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-23/funimation-darker-than-black-license-expires/.97882
Don't count on AoA re releasing it anytime soon.

This info has been floating around since the 21st as well.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/01/22/funimation-no-longer-holds-darker-than-black-rights

Posted at a few other sites. Figured it was brought up here but I guess not. As I posted a tos there went my chance of ever seeing a normal version of Season 1 and not the stupid PE that Funi was doing. God they need to get off that crap. No more PE's Funi, well at least the ones like DTB, Soul Eater, and the Funi Bebop Exclusive. Then again be nice if they would stick to the LE's at a decent price. But I guess Funi doesn't know what KISS is.

Well thank the Gods. I know Square is getting one. :p

Demand for the life-size statues of Megumi Kato, the video game heroine conjured up by Saekano's Tomoya Aki was so great that Aniplex doubled production from 10 to 20 statues. Each statue measures 158cm (62in) high for 1.98 million yen (US$16,751).

Like most expensive, limited edition memorabilia, interested customers can enter their information into a lottery. The 20 winners will be able to purchase the statue. Entries are only accepted until February 14.

saekanolifesize04.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-01-22/life-size-saekano-statue-production-doubled-to-meet-demand/.97873

Apparently Funimation doesn't have rights for Darker Than Black anymore, so if you have the slightest inkling of owning it better do it sooner than later before the prices skyrocket. Or Aniplex decides to release it themselves and make it completely unaffordable.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-01-23/funimation-darker-than-black-license-expires/.97882
They never released season one on bluray did they? Oh well good show...own it already

YOldrk0.jpg
One? I can start my own harem series with 20. I shall call it, I ran out of drillbits.
Can't be worse than tenchi

They never released season one on bluray did they? Oh well good show...own it already
Funi did, but as neoz mentioned it was only in a crappy "premium" edition that was basically discs tossed into a cardboard sleeve. It's $75 on rightstuf atm. Supposed to be limited to 5,000 copies but I guess it didn't fly off the shelves fast enough after 7 months for Funi to renew the license.

Based on what AoA did with Read or Die, Gurren Lagann, and Kenshin OVAs I could easily see them trying to sell both seasons for $300+ in a couple years, with slightly better packaging I guess.

Funi did, but as neoz mentioned it was only in a crappy "premium" edition that was basically discs tossed into a cardboard sleeve. It's $75 on rightstuf atm. Supposed to be limited to 5,000 copies but I guess it didn't fly off the shelves fast enough after 7 months for Funi to renew the license.

Based on what AoA did with Read or Die, Gurren Lagann, and Kenshin OVAs I could easily see them trying to sell both seasons for $300+ in a couple years, with slightly better packaging I guess.
That's a bummer....rather strange given season two is on bluray cheaply I might add

While it was explained why Japan has high prices these folks are insane if they think it will fly here

I think Darker than Black S1 is so good. Looking back at it, it really had the potential to become the next big anime but it never caught on. S2 more or less rode on several dumb anime tropes and while it had it's moments, the ending pretty much killed any chance DtB had of coming back. Not to mention I'm sure nobody watched it. Hard to think that was like seven years ago now. 

At least the OVA wasn't as bad. 

Speaking of R.O.D what are the odds of that getting another blu release in the future? I missed the last one.

Speaking of R.O.D what are the odds of that getting another blu release in the future? I missed the last one.
You didn't miss the last one, you just ignored it like the rest of us. Since it's owned by AoA, just assume one never existed, and there won't be on either in the near future, but even if there will be one, it won't be in one set anymore, and it'll be split up into 6 parts with 4 episodes per disc, and it'll only cost you a very low price of $129.99 per part, and you get a nifty slipcover and postcards per set.

WHAT A DEAL!

My Best Buy store actually had the Samurai Pizza Cats on shelves. Too bad it doesn't have captions/subtitles, else I probably would have bought it.

But it's dubbed, so you wouldn't need them anyways...or at least that's what their reasoning was behind that?
I don't, but I don't buy stuff without captions because then I'd have to watch alone (missus is hearing impaired). It was godsend when Netflix and Amazon all added captions, cause only Hulu originally had it.

bread's done
Back