Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, I hope they didn't suddenly switch over to clear cases going forward. I have Nekomonogatari Black preordered and the thought of the cases being different is bringing out my OCD.

On the topic of bootlegs, I actually wouldn't mind those Madoka Blu-ray's being bootleg so long as the video quality is untouched. But that's just a pipe dream, considering they probably compress them to use smaller capacity Blu-rays discs.

--

Deals-wise, occasionally Fry's clearances out anime stuff and I lucked out with availability at my local store and finally got some Blu-ray's I've been meaning to pick up. Seems like the prices are good online and in-store.

K-On! Season 2 Collection 1 ($17.99)

http://www.frys.com/product/7050751

K-On! Season 2 Collection 2 ($17.99)

http://www.frys.com/product/7144722

Heaven's Memo Pad Complete Collection ($18.99)

http://www.frys.com/product/7292523

Tears to Tiara Complete Collection ($25.99)

http://www.frys.com/product/6398831

Penguindrum Collection 1 ($14.99)

http://www.frys.com/product/7401095

I'm late to the K-On! train, I know. Still bummed those Season 1 Blu-ray's are OOP. Oh well. Also, I realize I'm like one of only 3 people who actually likes Tears to Tiara, but I figured I would post it anyway. :p
Those seem like some pretty decent prices on those! If I end up getting K-On, I would hope at some point Sentai decides to release season 1.

Deals-wise, occasionally Fry's clearances out anime stuff and I lucked out with availability at my local store and finally got some Blu-ray's I've been meaning to pick up. Seems like the prices are good online and in-store.

http://www.frys.com/product/7050751

http://www.frys.com/product/7144722

Heaven's Memo Pad Complete Collection ($18.99)

http://www.frys.com/product/7292523

http://www.frys.com/product/6398831

http://www.frys.com/product/7401095

I'm late to the K-On! train, I know. Still bummed those Season 1 Blu-ray's are OOP. Oh well. Also, I realize I'm like one of only 3 people who actually likes Tears to Tiara, but I figured I would post it anyway. :p

Are there anymore on clearance?

How is Tears to Tiara?

Those seem like some pretty decent prices on those! If I end up getting K-On, I would hope at some point Sentai decides to release season 1.
I was thinking the same exact thing lol. Ended buying K-on and Heaven's Memo Pad. I actually never heard of Heaven's memo pad and it looks pretty interesting (I think I kept confusing it with Heaven's Lost Property)

Thanks for the link theMixxer!

Memo Pad is nothing like Property. It's more like a cross among Scooby-Doo, Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, and Eden of the East.

There's definitely more on clearance, I'll see about posting more when I get home (unless someone beats me to it, lol).

That description of Heaven's Memo Pad sounds like it would be right up my alley. Guess I made a good choice.

Regarding Tears to Tiara, it's standard fantasy & harem anime fare, just that the dub is, IMO, so bad it's almost good in a cheesy/campy way. But I'm fairly harsh on dubs.

The Eden of the East part was more the mood of the show. Also similar in mood to GitS: SAC Season 1 and the first half of Steins;Gate. The actual plot is about a bunch of mystery solvers.

Got my FUNimation package in. They used a medium box with a bunch of packing paper.

There's definitely more on clearance, I'll see about posting more when I get home (unless someone beats me to it, lol).

That description of Heaven's Memo Pad sounds like it would be right up my alley. Guess I made a good choice.

Regarding Tears to Tiara, it's standard fantasy & harem anime fare, just that the dub is, IMO, so bad it's almost good in a cheesy/campy way. But I'm fairly harsh on dubs.
I would love it if you could post them since the site is super slow but hey at least free shipping when ordering memo and penguin drum.

Memo Pad is nothing like Property. It's more like a cross among Scooby-Doo, Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, and Eden of the East.
they are indeed nothing alike, one I actually consider worth owning, the other I do not :p (though I don't really consider either to be great shows, and to be fair property is ok for an ecchi show, but it's still a very meh anime overall I will likely get it if it ever gets a SAVE version... at half off... I think it's funimation at least)

Bah. Heaven's Lost Property is freaking awesome. Full of great ecchi and about a gajillion times better than the romcom crap back in the glory days (Maburaho, Happy Lesson, Sister Princess, etc.)

If anyone is looking for evangelion 3.33 on DVD walmart has it for 10 bucks to preorder  here. I haven't tried it as I am looking for the blu ray, just giving a heads up if anyone wants to try it. 

Bah. Heaven's Lost Property is freaking awesome. Full of great ecchi and about a gajillion times better than the romcom crap back in the glory days (Maburaho, Happy Lesson, Sister Princess, etc.)
it's better than sister princess by quite a bit, I never watched happy lesson, and I would put it slightly higher up than mabuaho... none of which would I ever go back and watch again, but alas in general I am not a huge fan of ecchi (or moe, and in general I won't even give yuri shows a chance anymore)

also... stupid frys I can't get my order to take -_-

edit: still can't get it to take, it says it timed out after submitting... hopefully I can get it to take soon... also here's hoping it didn't take and just say it failed or i will have like 6 orders to cancel :p

Kind of older but does anyone know of /where I could by Robotech Remastered 1-5  for cheap?

(yes I checked amazon but hate doing 3rd party transactions)

Didn't they just release a big boxset of Robotech recently?

And seriously? HLP slightly above Maburaho? That's like saying Transformers Prime is slightly better than Energon.

And seriously? HLP slightly above Maburaho? That's like saying Transformers Prime is slightly better than Energon.
both shows aren't very good but provided an alright show to watch to go to sleep to. I would never recommend either show to anyone ever, have no interest in rewatching either, nor would I be excited if a new season of either was announced. It's a competition between two very average ecchi shows, neither of which do anything really all that terrible for the genre, but neither of which are really all that interesting either. Heck if it wasn't for Nymph I likely wouldn't have bothered watching the second season as I dislike ikaros, and think the show would have been better in general if Astraea wasn't in it plus the main character is very very annoying unless it's a serious moment in the series.. with maburaho I don't recall really likelying any characters, but I don't recall disliking them either. (as for some pure ecchi shows I watched that I actually consider above average: Rosario Vampire, High school dxd (even if this took a while to get going), Freezing... and if you wanted me to list off stuff I feel is better than heaven's lost property... that list would be quite long including shows as goofy as needless... and I am just going with the mostly pure ecchi shows, not even counting shows that are ecchi but that isn't what feels like the main focus :p)

more on topic, anyone else try placing an order on frys recently and have it go through, I still can't get an order through.

Rosario+Vampire is the new Negima. Manga = Awesome. Anime = Crap.
I enjoyed the anime (which got me to read season one of the manga, which I ended up watching the anime because of chatting with jerry jewel about his wees :p) After reading the manga I could see someone having issue with the anime if they read the manga first, but it was fine on it's own.

edit: I decided to reset my internet, and my frys order went through this time.

I don't understand what the hell Gonzo was thinking with Rosario+Vampire. They turned it into a dime a dozen fanservice show with a lot of shitty recurring jokes.

Yeah, A&E Home Video released a "complete collection" last year. It has all 85 remastered episodes, the Shadow Chronicles movie, Love Live Alive movie and a bonus disc.

http://www.amazon.com/Robotech-Complete-Set-Mark-Hamill/dp/B00ERH1718/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1397011260&sr=1-1&keywords=robotech

I don't understand what the hell Gonzo was thinking with Rosario+Vampire. They turned it into a dime a dozen fanservice show with a lot of shitty recurring jokes.
It was around the time where they were pumping out so many shows that bombed that it nearly drove them to bankruptcy. Seems like they didn't give a damn as long as it made money(which R+V didn't).

Incoming link dump. Listing everything I could find that's either clearance or lowest price. Hopefully other CAG's can highlight the good titles from the bad, and give context for prices.

Blu-ray's

Broken Blade: The Complete Series ($29.99)

Canaan: Complete Collection ($14.99)

Fate/stay Night Unlimited Blade Works ($11.99)

Grave of the Fireflies ($12.99)

Hakuoki Season 3 ($28.99)

Heaven's Memo Pad ($18.99)

Hiiro no Kakera Season 2 ($28.99)

Intrigue in the Bakumatsu: Collection 1 ($17.99)

Lady Death ($8.99)

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Complete Collection ($17.99)

Patlabor The Mobile Police TV Series Collection 3 ($28.99)

Persona 4: The Animation Collection 1 ($29.99)

Un-Go Complete Collection ($28.99)

Xam'd Lost Memories Complete Collection ($21.99)

DVD's

Akikan Complete Collection ($12.99)

Book of Bantorra: Collection 2 ($17.99)

Blue Drop Complete Collection ($12.99) This is the re-release with the dub

Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth Complete Collection ($21.99)

Gintama: Collection 1 ($14.99) (in store only)

Gintama: Collection 3 ($7.99)

Gintama: Collection 4 ($5.99)

Glass Maiden Complete Collection ($8.99)

Hell Girl: Two Mirrors Complete Collection ($19.99)

Hell Girl: Three Vessels Complete Collection ($11.99)

Idolm@ster Xenoglossia Collection 1 ($11.99)

Idolm@ster Xenoglossia Collection 2 ($12.99)

La Corda D'Oro Primo Passo Complete Collection ($20.99)

Le Portrait de Petite Cossette: Complete Collection ($7.99)

Letter Bee Collection 1 ($12.99)

Living for the Day After Tomorrow: Complete Collection ($11.99)

Kobato Complete Collection ($29.99)

Kurenai Complete Collection ($12.99)

Mahoromatic: Collection 1 ($6.99)

Mahoromatic: Collection 2 ($6.99)

Mahoromatic: OVA ($5.99)

Neo Angelique Abyss: Season 1 ($6.99)

Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat: Complete Collection ($9.99)

Parasite Dolls ($5.99)

Petite Princess Yucie: Complete Collection ($20.59)

Polyphonica: Complete Collection ($11.99)

Polyphonica: Crimson S Complete Collection ($14.99) 

Popotan: Complete Collection ($11.99)

Psychic Squad: Collection 1 ($14.99)

Psychic Squad: Collection 2 ($14.99)

Psychic Squad: Collection 3 ($14.99)

Psychic Squad: Collection 4 ($14.99)

Ray: Complete Collection ($8.99)

Shigofumi: Complete Collection ($7.99)

Sister Princess: Complete Collection ($15.99)

Taisho Baseball Girls Complete Collection ($9.99)

Tayutama: Kiss on My Deity ($15.99)

Tytania: Collection 1 ($9.99)

Tytania: Collection 2 ($9.99)

You're Under Arrest: Fast & Furious Complete Collection ($12.99)

You're Under Arrest: Full Throlle Complete Collection ($14.99)

Yozakura Quartet: Complete Collection ($17.99)

Yumeria: Complete Collection ($16.99)

There's definitely more stuff, mainly DVDs, so I'll probably expand on this list later on.

*EDIT: Added my previous post's Blurays to the list*

*EDIT 2: Added more DVDs*

I enjoyed Intrigue in the Bakumatsu; but it's a weird show. The first quarter or so was by far the worst part of the show. The dub also left a lot to be desired. Overall, though, I enjoy that it's set in the beginning of the meiji period as historical fiction, and I'd still recommend it.

I'm not sure if I should get Penguindrum Col. 1--I have the second collection due to a SecondSpin mistake, but I was planning on selling it because I didn't think it was worth keeping... :whistle2:k

I'm not sure if I should get Penguindrum Col. 1--I have the second collection due to a SecondSpin mistake, but I was planning on selling it because I didn't think it was worth keeping... :whistle2:k
were you not planning to keep it because you have seen it and didn't like it, or because it sounded like something you wouldn't like...

I mean Penguindrum is one of the higher rated titles of the last few years so if you haven't seen it it might be worth checking out (plus collection 1 is selling for a decent amount more on amazon than the frys price)

i've only seen a bit of it, so I can't really offer much in the way of thoughts on the series :p

were you not planning to keep it because you have seen it and didn't like it, or because it sounded like something you wouldn't like...

I mean Penguindrum is one of the higher rated titles of the last few years so if you haven't seen it it might be worth checking out (plus collection 1 is selling for a decent amount more on amazon than the frys price)

i've only seen a bit of it, so I can't really offer much in the way of thoughts on the series :p
The latter--Penguindrum sounds like the kind of thing "artsy" or highly-philosophical people might like (no offense to such people), so I wasn't sure it was up my alley.

I just finished 1&2 and thought it was just ok. for me i don't think its worth buying.

You should do both. Buy it, watch it, and if you don't like it then you can sell them both as a complete set. I find it very hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to get at least the same amount +$15 if you sold them both together.

Funimation July

Deadman Wonderland Bluray

Ben To  Bluray

A Certain Scientific Railgun S DVD

Senran Kagura Bluray

Devil is a Part Time Bluray

Shakugan no Shana SAVE Bluray

Hetalia S5 DVD

Fairy Tail Part 11 Bluray

Woo thanks to this thread im wasting money i shouldn't be lol. Thanks theMixxer for the list, picked up the 3 Mahoromatic dvds along with Canaan blu ray. 

Nice to see Maou-sama and a BD release for Deadland Wonderland. Are Index/Railgun one of those series that is unlikely to get a BD release here anytime soon? I have been looking to purchase the DVD sets for awhile now but never did bite. 

Nice to see Maou-sama and a BD release for Deadland Wonderland. Are Index/Railgun one of those series that is unlikely to get a BD release here anytime soon? I have been looking to purchase the DVD sets for awhile now but never did bite.
Kadokawa either has some insane limits (like a set date I mean) on when R1 can get any of the Certain Magical blus or Funimation doesn't want to release them yet. A Certain Magical Index will be six years old in October. =|

(And because I'm bored, I saw that the US is the only country that has licensed the animes which is a little odd because Madman/Manga usually get all of our leftovers while Manga UK gets some Blu versions first since they are R2.)

As for Deadman Wonderland, that has been in the UK on Blu for quite a while now.

And as for The Devil is a Part Timer... yeah, I'm curious to see how good the dub is. I was a little let down because once the series finally gets going, it ends. Guessing a S2 would probably fill that void pertaining that ever happens. ;_;

Funimation July

Deadman Wonderland Bluray

Ben To Bluray

A Certain Scientific Railgun S DVD

Senran Kagura Bluray

Devil is a Part Time Bluray

Shakugan no Shana SAVE Bluray

Hetalia S5 DVD

Fairy Tail Part 11 Bluray
another month without the end of hellsing ultimate :(

devil will be fun to pick up eventually though same with railgun s.

Are Index/Railgun one of those series that is unlikely to get a BD release here anytime soon? I have been looking to purchase the DVD sets for awhile now but never did bite.
Tell me about it. I've been waiting on Railgun to hit blu here in the US and I don't think it is anytime soon. I thought about importing but there are no English subs as far as I know.

I just went ahead and bought the LE DVD for part one and just ordered part 2 for $19. I enjoy the show to much to wait. Maybe if we are lucky it'll end up like Is This A Zombie and get a blu ray Classic release. I just hope the do Season 2 on blu for that show as well.

I've heard penguindrum has a horrendous sub and the dub is meh can any one give any insight?
I just finished both sets in sub and didn't think it was bad but the show was one of tho i wish i did not buy. 1 time watch for me with a blaa feeling after the end. i didn't hate it or love it just blaa. lol

So gentlemen...

Is Robotech worth getting? The $40 deal on Amazon for the full series + movies seems like a pretty great deal.

I've never seen it before and I'm a pretty huge fan of Mecha anime (especially Gundam). That being said, I haven't really watched any anime from before 1990 aside from Akira and Gundam. 

My main concern is whether it is still watchable. I've seen reviews of how it's amazing. I've seen reviews of how it's cringeworthy. So I really don't know.

Help!

So gentlemen...

Is Robotech worth getting? The $40 deal on Amazon for the full series + movies seems like a pretty great deal.

I've never seen it before and I'm a pretty huge fan of Mecha anime (especially Gundam). That being said, I haven't really watched any anime from before 1990 aside from Akira and Gundam.

My main concern is whether it is still watchable. I've seen reviews of how it's amazing. I've seen reviews of how it's cringeworthy. So I really don't know.

Help!
over all i say yes. i just watch it not to long ago and enjoyed it very much for the most part.

just remember this you will hear it alot.

stage fright go away this is my big day

Good to see Shakugan no Shana S2 is getting a "complete collection" set and will be under $35. For anyone that got the Shana S1 S.A.V.E. set, is it just one of those packs like Black Lagoon S1/S2 & Sekirei S1/S2 DVD/BR sets? Where they shove all the discs into one big bloated blue case?

Anyway, since S2 is getting a cheaper re-release, hopefully we'll see S3 get a cheaper repackage by the end of the year. Although that will probably be under the "Anime Classics" line, since it was more recent and Funi probably paid more for that license than S2.

Also, I'm looking at stuff to add to my order for Cat Planet Cuties S.A.V.E. set(need to add something for free shipping). I saw that Shangri-La is getting a S.A.V.E. set the same week. Is that any good? Because the trailer thrown on Youtube by Funimation doesn't really show much to make a decision on a purchase or not.

I've heard penguindrum has a horrendous sub and the dub is meh can any one give any insight?
IIRC, Penguindrum had what was somewhat referred to as "a dub sub". As some lines were not even translated properly and basically replaced it with internet lingo or memes. The blu-ray also had some artifacting too with the video, judging from the reviews.

Also, for anyone picking that Mahoromatic: I'm Home OVA, Sentai messed some things up on that too. As the whole FBI warning/Sentai opening/Anime Network promo when the disc starts plays twice for some reason before going to the main menu. Also episode 1's japanese audio is completely in mono. Sentai knew about that shortly after it was released and would not reauthor the disc to fix it.

bread's done
Back