Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
About the villain thing, I like Big bang theory, but hate Sheldon.    (I brought this up because the bad guy of SAO (I mean the creator of the game) reminded me of him)

About the villain thing, I like Big bang theory, but hate Sheldon. (I brought this up because the bad guy of SAO (I mean the creator of the game) reminded me of him)
LMAO, I've never seen that connection get made! Not sure I quite see it, but it still makes me LOL

Man, and I thought $10 and $15 for Chance Pop Session and Cyberteam in Akihabara were good prices.

Tylor is extremely tempting. My box set is of the original release, and my OAV set has some nicks since it was used.

How is Kimikiss? $10 a set is pretty low. Wedding Peach, Kare Kano, and Ikki Tousen are also tempting.

I like GIntama but I'm pretty sure Sentai is done with bringing anymore of it over. I find it odd how the first collection is $30 while the other three are $10. 

Got the rest of my DVD Planet order in. I had not realized it before, but Sentai and Maiden Japan are using the 4-disc stacking cases that Disney and WB are using. Makes it easy to condense cases.

Also, I have no idea how Maiden Japan is able to use all these American cop show logos on the back of the Patlabor cases without being sued.

Also, I have no idea how Maiden Japan is able to use all these American cop show logos on the back of the Patlabor cases without being sued.
Yeah... they could get slammed pretty hard for that one. Just a classic case of "what they don't know, won't hurt them". Just being part of Section23 we all know that they probably wouldn't put in the effort of contacting those companies even though they were (probably) aware of the logos.

I remember in Darker than Black S1, the Japanese airing had Pizza Hut all over it. Pizza Hut logos and boxes were a common occurrence in a few episodes. But in the Funimation release in the States, Funimation was told to remove the logos. Although... I still caught a few when I watched the DVDs some time ago. ;)

EDIT: Mistook Maiden Japan as the anime (lol) didn't know it was one of the 3245345 companies that Section23 goes by.

Any word on whether Future Diary will get Blu-ray treatment? Don't really want to get the DVDs...
I would love to have a Blu-ray release of Future Diary, like it was originally advertised. It is definitely one of my favorite shows. I bought the DVD with the "Limited Edition" box, and even then I would gladly pick it up on Blu-ray and keep both of them! I personally haven't heard anything new regarding them giving it the Blu-ray treatment unfortunately. :whistle2:(

If anyone else has heard anything regarding it, I would also be glad to hear about it!

If anyone else has heard anything regarding it, I would also be glad to hear about it!
I always say, if it's in Japan, and it's licensed here, it can be released here. Just go on the Japanese Amazon site and you can check if a Blu version exists, and yep, one does - http://goo.gl/dfcrrd

Kadokawa is one of those companies that bar the States from having Blu Ray versions immediately due to the commonly known reverse importing problem. Our DVD versions of Future Diary are already on Amazon.co.jp so they obviously want our Blu release as well. Kadokawa has held back Blu releases on other titles such as The Certain Magical series, Deadman Wonderland, etc. Deadman Wonderland has been released on Blu in the UK because they are in a different region. Panty & Stocking, another Kadokawa title, was released on Blu one year after it's DVD release here.

TL;DR - we're in 2013 folks and everything released now is in at least 720p (HD). Very, very few animes are not released on Blu Ray now in Japan so if Funimation does a DVD release only here, you should just wait for a Blu version unless you really, really want to support your favorite anime(s) (in that case, you could be better off buying a Funi/Crunchyroll sub to save money, but that's my two cents).

I didn't know that there was a Kickstarter for BGC.  I'm conflicted, because I like the idea of using KS as a way to get anime releases we may not have gotten otherwise, but I don't care for the idea of KS becoming a place where you have to go because companies start using it as a dumping ground/preorder site. 

I've seen the board game market turn a significant chunk of their market into this, and there's lots of problems to be had.  It creates a situation where you either have to follow KS/companies religiously, or else you're going to miss out on their projects (like I would have with this one if not for the above post).  This means that you'll either have to pay some 3rd party whatever price they feel like gouging you with, or live with being boned.  Other problems come from projects having a huge hype train during KS (only to fall short of expectations once completed, leaving you wondering why you spent as much money as you did), projects producing products different than what was represented, or not producing anything at all.

I like GIntama but I'm pretty sure Sentai is done with bringing anymore of it over. I find it odd how the first collection is $30 while the other three are $10.
The first collection was actually oos before the sale even started, so I think they just put it there because it hasn't been discontinued to the point that it's out of their system, and they just put it there for show. But yeah, when the wave kicked off from the start it was like that already, so I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe they figured if it's priced at $30 no one will click on it and figure out it's oos, but I still did. XD

The Bubblegum Crisis bluray kickstarter campaign is finishing up this weekend.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/bubblegum-crisis-ultimate-edition-blu-ray-set

$50 gets you the show in HD and some extras, which is great considering the DVD still runs in that cost neighborhood.
Faith in humanity +50 (out of a unspecified number ;) ). I borrowed one of the Bubblegum series from one of my friends in the early 2000s, I have no idea which one it was but it's cool to see that something like this is actually happening, and was successful on top of that.

The first collection was actually oos before the sale even started, so I think they just put it there because it hasn't been discontinued to the point that it's out of their system, and they just put it there for show. But yeah, when the wave kicked off from the start it was like that already, so I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe they figured if it's priced at $30 no one will click on it and figure out it's oos, but I still did. XD
1337775166068.jpg

(Been wanting to use this image for a long time). :)

Also, just a heads up, DVDPlanet is running another anime sale, kinda...
20131122-DP-Section23-banner-20131120104030.JPG

So this is apparently their Black Friday and on sale until Jan for anime, but the only issue is that the prices from this sale have all been exactly the same since the previous sale ended, so all of the prices that went up from the last sale are still the same price in this sale, so don't be fooled even though it's advertised as part of their BF sale.  I guess that previous sale was more of a fluke if anything.  They may bust out with a surprise in the last minute on BF, but as of right now they have all their BF sales up, and this is included in there.  The DVDPlanet goldmine of anime was rather short lived. T___T

I saw this a few days ago, but decided not to post it, but now that they're openly advertising it, gotta make sure people know what's going on with it.

I'd rather see a kickstarter for oh my goddess on blu-ray, or a rerelease of Kimagure Orange road on dvd, or blu ray, or hell Marmalade boy!

Looks like DD BF sale has begun, and for the most part it's pretty underwhelming.

The majority of the prices are all a bit higher than during the DVDPlanet sale, but there are a couple that aren't bad.

I've compiled a list of the anime blu that are worth getting based on previous sales, and what not,

[SIZE=12pt]Battle Girls Time Paradox: Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.13[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Bodacious Space Pirates [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.20[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Bodacious Space Pirates: Collection 2 [3 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.09[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Broken Blade: The Complete Series [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.43[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Btooom: Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.88[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep BelowPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $14.49[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Demon King Daimao - Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.23[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Dream Eater Merry: The Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.43[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ef: A Tale of Melodies- Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.43[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ef: A Tale of Memories - Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.45[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Fate/Stay Night: Collection 1 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.23[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Girls Und Panzer: Complete TV CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.88[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Grave of the FirefliesPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $11.71[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Hiiro no Kakera: Season 1 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.04[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Horizon in Te Middle on Nowhere - Season 1Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.05[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Intrigue in the Bakumatsu - Collection 2Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.06[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Intrigue in the Bakumatsu - Irohanihoheto: Collection 1 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.29[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Kamisama Dolls: Complete Collection [3 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.11[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]La Storia Della Arcana Famiglia CompletePrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.88[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Legend of the Dark Kings: A Fist of the North Star Story [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.48[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Little Busters: Season 1 Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.88[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Majikoi-Oh! Samurai Girl: Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.30[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Needless: Complete Collection [3 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $34.03[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Night Raid 1931: Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.46[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ninja Scroll [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $9.96[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Penguindrum: Collection 2 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.11[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Persona 4: The Animation - Collection 1 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $22.76[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Pet Girl of Sakurasou: Collection OnePrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $23.35[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Phi Brain: Puzzle of God - Collection 1 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Phi-Brain: Season One - Collection 2 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.09[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Phi-Brain: Season Two - Collection 1 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.05[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Samurai Girls: Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.46[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shining Hearts: Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.04[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: Complete Collection [2 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Towano Quon Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.28[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Un-Go: Complete CollectionPrice:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $26.29[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Xam'd: Lost Memories - Complete Collection [3 Discs] [Blu-ray]Price:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] $34.05[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]DVDs[/SIZE]

Natsuyuki Rendezvous: Complete Collection [2 Discs]Price: $19.56

Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!: Complete Collection [2 Discs]Price: $19.75

Waiting in the Summer: Complete Collection [2 Discs]Price: $19.73

Place to Place: Complete Collection [3 Discs]Price: $19.74

Sakurasou is a great price, and the lowest even during the DVDPlanet sale, so I'd recommend picking that one up for that price.

Here are the links to all the anime they have on sale (Section 23 stuff)

Anime Blus

Anime DVDs

What is everyone's opinion on Accel World? I have been considering picking it up for a while now, but I haven't made a decision. From the first handful of episodes that I watched I actually enjoyed it, but I have heard a lot of people say that it really falls off as it goes on? Also, are they planning on continuing the series or is it all said and done?
I'd definitely recommend checking the rest of Accel World out. Way better than Sword Art Online. To counter one of the previous poster's inane comments, that if you're "fat and pathetic, you will empathize with the main character," the character fits the typical "underdog" hero archetype. That's like saying if your dumb you'll empathize with Jim Carrey's character in Dumb and Dumber.

Yeah, sure, at first the main character comes off kind of goofy, but it's nice to see a different looking character design, instead of the same pretty-boy template used in 90% of every other anime produced in the last decade.

While the second story arc isn't as quite at the same level as the first, it's still very enjoyable all the same.

I'd definitely recommend checking the rest of Accel World out. Way better than Sword Art Online. To counter one of the previous poster's inane comments, that if you're "fat and pathetic, you will empathize with the main character," the character fits the typical "underdog" hero archetype. That's like saying if your dumb you'll empathize with Jim Carrey's character in Dumb and Dumber.

Yeah, sure, at first the main character comes off kind of goofy, but it's nice to see a different looking character design, instead of the same pretty-boy template used in 90% of every other anime produced in the last decade.

While the second story arc isn't as quite at the same level as the first, it's still very enjoyable all the same.
I think that's debatable. I found SAO to be better than Accel World, but both have a lot of promise and I'm looking forward to new seasons whenever they come out.

Not to be a jerk, but it better not drop that low considering I just picked it up for $79.99 on Amazon this past week. :bomb:
Honestly I feel like $79.99 is a pretty good price for everything your getting, which is probably why you bought it! I was really thinking about picking it up for that price, but with all these sales coming up I need to budget my spending money. If it happened to jump down to that $50 or less I really couldn't hold back from buying it.....I really don't see that happening though.

Not to be a jerk, but it better not drop that low considering I just picked it up for $79.99 on Amazon this past week. :bomb:
I think it's still a bit too new of a release, so it probably won't happen, but then again Amazon did that last year when the first season just came out, so who knows. XD

I think it's still a bit too new of a release, so it probably won't happen, but then again Amazon did that last year when the first season just came out, so who knows. XD
My rationale was that no single season release of Digimon has ever come close to $20 according to camelcamelcamel.com, so all four seasons for ~$20 each was hard to turn down.

Seeing the Girls und Panzer complete set for half of what I pre-ordered it on crunchyroll's online store with their deal of the day has made me sad. Not only that, but its expected arrival date is around after Christmas.

Seeing the Girls und Panzer complete set for half of what I pre-ordered it on crunchyroll's online store with their deal of the day has made me sad. Not only that, but its expected arrival date is around after Christmas.
I'm guessing they don't allow for cancel of pre-orders?

I'm guessing they don't allow for cancel of pre-orders?
I don't even see a page to review any orders I've made through them. Do you think sending a message directly using their Contact Us email would work? This is my first time ordering anything through them so I'm not too sure.

I don't even see a page to review any orders I've made through them. Do you think sending a message directly using their Contact Us email would work? This is my first time ordering anything through them so I'm not too sure.
That would probably be the best way. I do that with Rightstuf from time to time even though they don't have a cancel button, and it works out pretty well in the end, so you could give it a shot. Personally I never buy from crunchyroll, so I can't tell you exactly how it works with them, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too big of an issue. If it was only a few dollars I'd say screw it, but like you said, you paid almost double, so definitely worth a shot. ;P

That would probably be the best way. I do that with Rightstuf from time to time even though they don't have a cancel button, and it works out pretty well in the end, so you could give it a shot. Personally I never buy from crunchyroll, so I can't tell you exactly how it works with them, but I'm sure it shouldn't be too big of an issue. If it was only a few dollars I'd say screw it, but like you said, you paid almost double, so definitely worth a shot. ;P
I went ahead and sent an e-mail their way about refunding, I'll wait to hear back before I go ahead and pre-order from DD. Thanks for the input not only on this but also about shows and the lists you've provided throughout this thread, it's been a great help. Is Deep Discount pretty quick with the shipping of pre-orders? I've never bought through them either.

I went ahead and sent an e-mail their way about refunding, I'll wait to hear back before I go ahead and pre-order from DD. Thanks for the input not only on this but also about shows and the lists you've provided throughout this thread, it's been a great help. Is Deep Discount pretty quick with the shipping of pre-orders? I've never bought through them either.
They're usually a bit slower, as they don't ship out until after the date, so it's not in your hand on release day. I don't pre-order from them often, but if the price is right I'm willing to wait a bit longer to have it in hand.

Are you referring to the ones that came out a couple years ago?
Yup. From the wiki:

Ah! My Goddess: Fighting Wings (Aa! Megami-sama!: Tatakau Tsubasa)

Bandai Visual released the episodes to a single DVD in Japan on February 22, 2008.[87] The episodes, however, have yet to be licensed and released to Region 1.
Plus the more recent 3 episode OVA of Aa! Megami-sama: Itsumo Futari de.

Fan subs and torrents are one thing, but I like to own my anime on R1. I even have The Adventures of Mini-Goddess.

Pics or it never happened. lol
I wanted to wait until all of it arrived, but since the rest of the titles I have to wait until it's release, and I'm doing my pick ups for the month, here's the pic of the stuff from DVDPlanet, still missing some because they pre-orders, but you get the picture,

w6lx.jpg

Wow Square, just that order alone dwarfs my blu-ray collection. Also thought I'd let you know crunchyroll refunded the purchase no problems through e-mail. Girls und Panzer bds are ordered now from DD and for a good amount cheaper, still wondering why they dvds for it are more expensive. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Wow Square, just that order alone dwarfs my blu-ray collection. Also thought I'd let you know crunchyroll refunded the purchase no problems through e-mail. Girls und Panzer bds are ordered now from DD and for a good amount cheaper, still wondering why they dvds for it are more expensive. Anyway, thanks again for the help.
Glad it all worked out. ^__^

I picked up 12 Blus from the sale, though most of the ones in that pic I got from FYE/SecondSpin, albeit a couple in DVD.

I have also yet to watch any of them yet except for one episode of Patlabor.

bread's done
Back