Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad someone felt the same way I did. Made the long wait for it feel rather sour in the end.
Seriously. It took my expectations and shat all over them. Japan has this problem - something I refer to as "Bad Japanese Ideas" - where they seem to abandon any practical methods of storytelling, and just throw as much crazy shit as they can into the mix. The second half of Metal Gear Solid 2 is a perfect example of this, Evangelion 3.33 is another, and the most recent victim is the new Madoka Magica film. God, what a trainwreck.

to be sure I've seen 3.33 but I wanted to see it in blu ray and well Evangelion is my favorite show ever(anime or otherwise) so I have to own it.

you are right in that 3.33 went in a wild off the walls direction but then again come on guys its evangelion....the show had to get insane at some point. truthfully I rather enjoyed 3.33 from what I remember of it. I wanted to watch it again but I thought the blu ray was coming out this month so I figured I'll just wait for that.

Ive also seen the show enough times that I don't get lost as much with it as i used too. I still get lost in parts but its not as bad as it once was. 

I admit 4.44 could suck....truthfully because Evangelion needs to be taken as a whole I need to see 4.44 before I declare this remake good or bad. as a really big fan of the show Im probably more optimistic about 4.44 than most. actually I'd need to see 1.11 - 4.44. all together again to rate it properly.

I do agree with you though that Japan sometimes likes to do bad story telling with off the walls crazy ideas....sometimes I enjoy such kinds of shows but more often than not Im usually wondering wtf is this? but clearly I enjoy it since I love evangelion lol. speaking of bonkers if anyone wants their mind warped go watch the evangelion movie end of evangelion with the sound off and avril lavigne music blowing the background.....it syncs up remarkably well.

If it's any consolation, 3.33 is pretty terrible. Beautifully animated, but man, did they ever destroy my enthusiasm for the rest of the rebuild with that film.
Considering that I haven't watched 1.11 or 2.22...and didn't like the original Evangelion much at all but wanted to see what it was like without that ending and some other changes...that kind of stinks. Thanks for the thoughts on it everyone!

I guess that some animes have high "love it or hate it" coefficents, and I was not an fan of Evangelion but certainly didn't hate it or anything. Then again, I'm on the love side of an anime like Kanon so take it with a grain of salt.

Today's the crossover day for Right Stuf's studio sales.  Currently the sales are for Sentai anime and Vertical manga.  There were a couple of things I needed to finish off (Sakurasou, G&P ova).  I also added both the From The New World manga and anime (they were both in the sale, it seemed like I had to add both :whistle2: ) 

Now though, I find myself debating about a few things.  For one, there's the season 1 release of Familiar of Zero on blu ray.  I'm really conflicted on this one because I already have the old Geneon/funimation dvd release.  I also find it questionable that Sentai is releasing 1 and 4.  If they think there's money to be had in the series, why are they not licensing all four of them?  I also don't want to watch 1 and 4, and then find out later on that they're going to go back and release the other 2.

I'm also unsure as to whether or not I want to pick up Knights of Sidonia (because it's so long) and Sickness Unto Death (because it's so short).  Yeah, I know.

Today's the crossover day for Right Stuf's studio sales. Currently the sales are for Sentai anime and Vertical manga. There were a couple of things I needed to finish off (Sakurasou, G&P ova). I also added both the From The New World manga and anime (they were both in the sale, it seemed like I had to add both :whistle2: ) Now though, I find myself debating about a few things. For one, there's the season 1 release of Familiar of Zero on blu ray. I'm really conflicted on this one because I already have the old Geneon/funimation dvd release. I also find it questionable that Sentai is releasing 1 and 4. If they think there's money to be had in the series, why are they not licensing all four of them? I also don't want to watch 1 and 4, and then find out later on that they're going to go back and release the other 2.I'm also unsure as to whether or not I want to pick up Knights of Sidonia (because it's so long) and Sickness Unto Death (because it's so short). Yeah, I know.
The Sentai sale is going to kill my wallet.

I wouldn't be concerned about Familiar of Zero. I don't think Sentai ever announced having the first season until it was solicited, and I think we'll see the same for seasons 2 and 3.

Can someone chime in on Nadia the secret of blue water? Is it worth buying.
Is it worth getting the blus to replace the DVD sets? I couldn't find reviews of the blu ray set, so I don't know if it's using the new masters (there was a BD set released in Japan) or if it's just a standard definition upconvert. I would be very surprised if it were an upconvert, but I just wanted to put it out there in case you wanted to wait to find out before making a decision.

Is it worth getting the series? Undoubtedly yes.

How is the From the New World anime,I heard some good things about it and the novel it's based on.
Ironically, I was coming back here to talk about From The New World. I was doing some cursory glances at review and found that the general reaction to the Anime and the novel are that it is fantastic. It also seems as though the anime is generally faithful to the source novel. I'm sure that information isn't new to you. What was new to me was that apparently the manga is ... well ... from the sounds of things, it's one big ecchi fest.

Now I'm not so sure I want to blindly dump $33 on the graphic novels.

I heard that the manga adds a lot of explicit content for the sake of it when the others really had none of that.For a story that is suppose to be pretty dark,you would not be able to tell with a cover like this

51-RYOwlXEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I heard that the manga adds a lot of explicit content for the sake of it when the others really had none of that.For a story that is suppose to be pretty dark,you would not be able to tell with a cover like this

I think comparing the character on the cover of the manga to her character in the foreground of the anime cover pretty much sums it up.

[attachment=3188:cover.JPG]

Can someone chime in on Nadia the secret of blue water? Is it worth buying.
Is it worth getting the series? Undoubtedly yes.
I second this, it's a classic. Something semi-related I started re-organizing my anime cabinets today something that was long, long overdue. So much so I'm fully expecting to find James Woods in a crate by the time I'm done. Anyhow as I was going through I found that apparently I have two complete ADV sets of Nadia.....not sure how that happened. :whistle2:k

Nadia is considered one of those old school very good to great anime. It was directed by Hideaki Anno before he did Evangelion.

Skip the Island arc though. Even the staff hated it.

Definitely not. Nadia is average at best, and while it might be moderately enjoyable as a one-time watch, I can't imagine ever wanting to see it again.
I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction. I like a good character-driven story, and I thought all of the characters were fairly well developed. I consider it to be a fun and humorous adventure show, and thought that you would have felt the same. Admittedly, I haven't watched it since the DVDs were new, but I ordered the blu ray because I wanted to watch it again and see it in high definition.

I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction. I like a good character-driven story, and I thought all of the characters were fairly well developed. I consider it to be a fun and humorous adventure show, and thought that you would have felt the same. Admittedly, I haven't watched it since the DVDs were new, but I ordered the blu ray because I wanted to watch it again and see it in high definition.
It's not that I didn't like it when I saw it (13-ish years ago on VHS, woo!). It's an okay little show, but kind of a trifle, and there are large chunks of it that are kind of disposable. I even own it on DVD, thanks to RightStuf's old clearance sales! I just don't think I could recommend it as a purchase to other people, especially when it's so long, and it's really only worth a single watch.

It's not that I didn't like it when I saw it (13-ish years ago on VHS, woo!). It's an okay little show, but kind of a trifle, and there are large chunks of it that are kind of disposable. I even own it on DVD, thanks to RightStuf's old clearance sales! I just don't think I could recommend it as a purchase to other people, especially when it's so long, and it's really only worth a single watch.
I think this can describe almost every anime from that era... in fact, almost any anime or tv show that's 20+ episodes long in any era... :) It is a classic, but it's a product of it's era, so keep that in mind.

It's not like we watch all that anime we buy anyway... who does that? I mean, I'm contemplating rebuying Dragonball Z on blu, and I've never rewatched all of it in my Dragonbox set. Has anyone ever rewatched all of Dragonball Z?

That avatar with that pic is hilarious! Though that avatar still gives me nightmares.

That avatar with that pic is hilarious! Though that avatar still gives me nightmares.
That's Willem Dafoe from his oscar-worthy performance in Speed 2!

I think this can describe almost every anime from that era... in fact, almost any anime or tv show that's 20+ episodes long in any era... :) It is a classic, but it's a product of it's era, so keep that in mind.

It's not like we watch all that anime we buy anyway... who does that? I mean, I'm contemplating rebuying Dragonball Z on blu, and I've never rewatched all of it in my Dragonbox set. Has anyone ever rewatched all of Dragonball Z?
I don't think I could stomach watching all of DBZ again,but kudos to anyone who can.

Might have to order Chuunibyo...

gqL6QfK.gif
Desu.

I rewatched all of Dragonball Z. Now I only watch specific arcs. :lol: I rather watch all of Yu Yu Hakusho instead. That show never gets old in my eyes.

I'm working my way through the Blu Rays now, I'm sure I'll re-finish the series at the rate they are coming out. I can't get sick of this show haha, seen it quite a bit.

I rewatch dbz every other year or so... though I think it will be dbz kai I rewatch from here on out... I will likely rewatch all of kai for the third time this fall when the buu saga ideally gets an english dub.

Ironically, I was coming back here to talk about From The New World. I was doing some cursory glances at review and found that the general reaction to the Anime and the novel are that it is fantastic. It also seems as though the anime is generally faithful to the source novel. I'm sure that information isn't new to you. What was new to me was that apparently the manga is ... well ... from the sounds of things, it's one big ecchi fest.

Now I'm not so sure I want to blindly dump $33 on the graphic novels.
I would counter the statement that this anime is "fantastic". I found it a bit boring honestly. You can predict the entire plot and it's not particularly compelling. Don't spend a lot of money on this, try to watch it on CR or somewhere first before you buy.

I would counter the statement that this anime is "fantastic". I found it a bit boring honestly. You can predict the entire plot and it's not particularly compelling. Don't spend a lot of money on this, try to watch it on CR or somewhere first before you buy.
Yeah, I find anime reviews in general to be some of the most difficult things to find useful information from. I've read reviews saying that Planetes was "boring and dumb" and ones saying that the Tekken Movie was good. I find that the wide range of age and hyperbole make it very difficult to get objective opinions. I've seen far more positive reviews than negative for From The New World, but I'm happy to see a negative one that isn't just "It sucks and you're dumb for liking it."

I probably should watch it first, but I'm a sucker for getting shows sight unseen. And, I guess, I've already ordered part 1 ;)

What's everyone's thoughts on Jormungand? I admit it was the Norse mythology reference that first interested me, but the show actually looks really cool. I'd wait for a cheaper re-release, of course, but is that one that's worth watching out for?
Personally, i found it to be better than black lagoon. Koko is a badass bitch!! I found Black lagoon to be more of a damn emo fest with rock bitching at every corner and bitching about how this and that is wrong.

Personally, i found it to be better than black lagoon. Koko is a badass bitch!! I found Black lagoon to be more of a damn emo fest with rock bitching at every corner and bitching about how this and that is wrong.
That was the point of his character.He is the only character with any sort of morals,and as the story progresses he slowly starts to lose them.

unless something changes in the last few episodes of season 2 I personally would never call koko a badass in any way shape or form.... missing a few screws and good at tactical plans sure... but hardly a bad ass...

as for emo... yes rock bitches, but at least it's typically different things and not out of place for him to be bitching.... jona
seems to bitch about working for an arms dealer every other episode.. at least he stopped bitching about using weapons.
... we get it... shut up :/

that being said I have enjoyed both shows and like both rock and jona. Koko is more fun than Revy, but Revy would absolutely destroy Koko in a fight.

I re-watched portions of it. But, I've always wanted to own it to re-watch it fully. I only saw it fully as a young teen. I've started buying up the Blus so a re-watch will happen in the near future. I used to own up to like the fourth season of the orange bricks but then I got rid of them.

How do ya'll go about your collections? Do you just blind buy everything or do you watch an anime once online or some other way then decide if you want to own it?

I used to just blind buy everything, but now I'm only buying if I think it's re-watch worthy because otherwise I'm stuck with Casshern Sins of anime which I'll never watch again.

How do ya'll go about your collections? Do you just blind buy everything or do you watch an anime once online or some other way then decide if you want to own it?

I used to just blind buy everything, but now I'm only buying if I think it's re-watch worthy because otherwise I'm stuck with Casshern Sins of anime which I'll never watch again.
I personally do alot of blind buys my last were Tsuri Sama and strike witches season 1 but they were both cheap so kinda the reason I bought them.

I used to just blind buy everything, but now I'm only buying if I think it's re-watch worthy because otherwise I'm stuck with Casshern Sins of anime which I'll never watch again.
Blind buy if they're cheap. But harem/ecchi ones have to be realllllly cheap, cause I tend to not like them.
I didn't like Ai Yori Aoshi, Da Capo, Negima!, Girls Bravo, Yumeria, Shuffle, Mayo Chiki!, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Henneko,... But I do love Haganai (Sena!), enjoy Hayate no Gotoku (Hinagiku!), and tolerated Kanon. Really wanted to like Little Busters!, but I can't get into it.

Edit 1: And I like the slice of life ones more than most people here do.

Edit 2:
And I'll admit that I like tsunderes.

Edit 3: It'll probably like it if it's
slice of life + comedy + has good character designs with a tsundere character.

Blind buy if they're cheap. But harem/ecchi ones have to be realllllly cheap, cause I tend to not like them.
I didn't like Ai Yori Aoshi, Da Capo, Negima!, Girls Bravo, Yumeria, Shuffle, Mayo Chiki!, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Henneko,... But I do love Haganai (Sena!), enjoy Hayate no Gotoku (Hinagiku!), and tolerated Kanon. Really wanted to like Little Busters!, but I can't get into it.

Edit 1: And I like the slice of life ones more than most people here do.

Edit 2:
And I'll admit that I like tsunderes.

Edit 3: It'll probably like it if it's
slice of life + comedy + has good character designs with a tsundere character.
have you watched honey and clover? I think that one would be right up your alley given what you just said. though the Tsundere character is just a minor side character in that :p

Most of my blind buys are done when they are super cheap and decently rated. Most of my collection is made up of stuff I have seen before including plenty of series that I may never watch again that I bought merely to support the industry/series.

I would say though that I watch oh about 90% of my anime before I buy it though... of course I only buy 20-30 series a year :p

have you watched honey and clover? I think that one would be right up your alley given what you just said. though the Tsundere character is just a minor side character in that :p
I have! And I do love HachiKuro, but more for the love triangle and their growing up more than anything (the ferris wheel and the biking, for example).

Vdb3Xyf.jpg

Technically, the manga isn't mine.

TApvoj1.jpg

Only anime I am watching online is Gundam Build Fighters, so most stuff is a blind buy. I usually get it cheap new at Amazon, RightStuf, or DVD Planet, or used at FYE, MovieStop, GoHastings, SecondSpin, or eBay. If I don't like it or am just neutral, I will sell it.

I will admit it's not for everyone, but I loved Girl's Bravo, despite it having the Accidental Pervert trope (which I despise) mainly because of Fukuyama. If Fukuyama had been the main character the show would have been awesome, as proven many years later when they did it with Heaven's Lost Property.

I watch everything first and rarely blind buy.

Half the time it's me watching them subbed first or sometimes if an anime looks good based on customer reviews and feedback from here, I grab it. Case in point Towano Quon was $20 during the Christmas sale at RS and someone here recommended it so I grabbed it. I'm at the point where it's just too time consuming to "screen" every potential anime I want before buying it.

I re-watched portions of it. But, I've always wanted to own it to re-watch it fully. I only saw it fully as a young teen. I've started buying up the Blus so a re-watch will happen in the near future. I used to own up to like the fourth season of the orange bricks but then I got rid of them.
See, for something like DBZ, I'd much rather just re-read the manga, which has no filler, and allows me to turn pages at whatever rate I want. It's not like the TV budget allows for the pinnacle of animation or anything. Of course, as a kid I was exposed to the manga much earlier than the anime anyway.

I feel the same about One Piece. I get all the collections, but I don't feel the need to get the newest seasons in parts, mainly because it'll be a while before I rewatch it, if at all.

Bout to watch Tsuri Tama! That I got from ho hastings :)
Tsuritama is one of my favorite animes. It's just very feel good and no one dies, which is a nice change.

Funimation picked up the home video rights for

Date A Live

Red Data Girl (DVD Only)

Karneval

Code Breaker

All 4 will be Dubbed and looks like a June release

http://www.funimation.com/blog/?p=3743&utm_medium=TwitterBlog&utm_campaign=Announcements&utm_source=DateALiveSOCIALMEDIA&utm_nooverride=1

Date A Live is day 1 for me.
A dub of Karneval might warrant a rewatch for me, but it was just kinda okay.

I have a fairly wide range of taste, and can generally get a feel for whether or not I'll like a series before buying it.  So although a lot of the time I haven't watched any epsiodes of a series before buying it, I wouldn't necessarily classify any of them as blind buys.

I think a large part of my anime spending habits are a product of the time in which I grew up.  As a kid I was scrounging around the "Special Interest" section of one of the local Captain Videos, trying to look casual like the guys behind the beaded curtains did.  Eyes lighting up at finding a random episode of Bubblegum Crisis or Fist of the North Star on VHS because it was something.  My college years saw the rise of the Golden Age of the anime market in the US; where you could walk into pracitically any store and find row after row of anime dvds on the shelves.  Where Toonami was showing DBZ during the day, and Adult Swim was showing Cowboy Bebop at night.  Now, the world has continued to shrink to the point where anime is being simulcast online while it is still running in Japan. 

Streaming anime may not seem that amazing to anyone, but to that little kid in Captain Video it'd be something that he couldn't even fathom.  That kid is still down there somewhere telling me to grab up all the anime I can before it disappears again.

I do research before I decide to buy something, but I 'blind buy' 90% of the time. I've done my due diligence to try and make sure that it's good and that I will like it, but I far prefer to watch them on blu for the first time. Even nicer streams don't usually have comparable HD audio tracks--and that's ignoring that the video quality is also usually at least somewhat inferior. Since I prefer to own shows anyway, it makes more sense for me to wait to watch them.

I do research before I decide to buy something, but I 'blind buy' 90% of the time. I've done my due diligence to try and make sure that it's good and that I will like it, but I far prefer to watch them on blu for the first time. Even nicer streams don't usually have comparable HD audio tracks--and that's ignoring that the video quality is also usually at least somewhat inferior. Since I prefer to own shows anyway, it makes more sense for me to wait to watch them.
Buying blind usually turns out better for me.

bread's done
Back