Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Rightstuf studio sale this week looks like. Any recommended titles? I was looking into Aria though I have never heard of most of the anime RS published.
The problem for me with Nozomi/RS sales is that they're almost guaranteed to be in the Christmas sale 6 months from now.

Some titles that I'd suggest looking into are Captain Tylor, Utena, Sound of the Sky, The Third, and Aria. I plan on looking into Sengoku myself when I get a chance to see if it's any good as well.

The problem for me with Nozomi/RS sales is that they're almost guaranteed to be in the Christmas sale 6 months from now.

Some titles that I'd suggest looking into are Captain Tylor, Utena, Sound of the Sky, The Third, and Aria. I plan on looking into Sengoku myself when I get a chance to see if it's any good as well.
Captain Tylor was great! I bought it during the X-mas sale, and I would definitely recommend it. I've been interested in Sound of the Sky, but haven't watched any of it yet.

Does the Xmas sale tend to beat studio sales in pricing or is more like a bunch of studio sales at the same time? Just started ordering from RS at the start of the year myself.

Has there ever been a VIZ sale on rightstuf.com? I ask because I want the death note box sets .
Not often, and mostly around BF/12+, but usually the sales that occur at the other time of the year is just on the manga, and visual novels, so not much on the DVD/Blu end, and if they are "on sale", they're usually pretty meh.

I think the last time they had a sale on ViZ DVD/Blus was during Easter, but that's been about it this year.

More often than RS, DD actually has had some nice ViZ sales, so I would probably get it from there if anything the next time they put those titles on sale.

Does the Xmas sale tend to beat studio sales in pricing or is more like a bunch of studio sales at the same time? Just started ordering from RS at the start of the year myself.
The Xmas sale usually beats the studio sales when it comes to pricing,along with them having some really good bundle packs.

A few price drops on Amazon (Lowest according to CCC)

Robotics;Notes Part 1 LE $34.49

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero LE $33.99

Strike Witches S1 SAVE $14.49

Strike Witches S2 SAVE $13.49

Nothing too amazing though it is cheaper than I paid for Robotics;Notes LE lol. Never saw Rogue Hero or Strike Witches myself so no comment there. 

I think I am finally going to pick up that last Utena boxset and maybe some prints too. I am tempted to do some blind buys too on some sets.

Also if anyone bought the Anime Classics version of Serial Experiments Lain collection and wants to part with their slipcover, please PM me. I got mine from TRSI today and the slipcover is beat to hell as it probably got slammed by my Udon books during shipping,

Apparently there was a DVD only edition found on Walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/ip/33845952 for those who want the DVD version. 

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9269056&postcount=236
AOTDVD_zps666f1b37.jpg

Sadly, the Xmas sale is nowhere near as awesone as it once was, but overall it is still a better sale than most other companies, especially with Nozomi titles.

Oh btw, Funimation sent me their "solution" for the Heaven's Lost Property packaging issue....a DVD sized slipcover lol -_-

Also, is there anyone here that buys anime blus from Japan? I might have a few questions about a couple of series I am thinking of purchasing in the near feature.

Anyone here own the Durarara bluray limited edition lunch box set? If so was it worth the money.
It is a cheaper set in comparison to other Aniplex sets and comes with a lunchbox. The set itself is similar to Monogatari with a chipboard box + 3 bluray cases + booklet and includes an English dub option.

The pricing ends up being closer $6/ep rather than their usual $10+ from their newer LE's. It is still a huge price for a single show and just depends on how much you are willing to spend. I was happy with my purchase personally.

Did anyone happen to see a standard edition Attack on Titan at Best Buy today and note the price? BB.com doesn't have a proper listing for the standard edition.

A few price drops on Amazon (Lowest according to CCC)

Robotics;Notes Part 1 LE $34.49

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero LE $33.99

Strike Witches S1 SAVE $14.49

Strike Witches S2 SAVE $13.49

Nothing too amazing though it is cheaper than I paid for Robotics;Notes LE lol. Never saw Rogue Hero or Strike Witches myself so no comment there.
I'm considering Robotics; Notes. This would be a blind buy. Any thought from anyone who has seen it?

Hey guys I got my FMA Brotherhood 1 and 2 collection on Bluray in today and have a question regarding the slipcovers.

Amazon shipped them in a small box and the cases themselves are sealed but the slipcovers are not. There are small creases in spots on both of the slipcovers.

Is this pretty much avoidable? I dont believe I can get the price I did on them (67) anywhere physically around me and I feel if I asked for a return they would ship them the same way and I would still see creases on the edges.

I've noticed this on my Supernatural blurays as well. I bought them in store and took extreme care of them and they have creases. Are the slipcovers for blurays just really flimsy? I'm just bothered by the fact I bought these brand new and receive them in a fashion that looks like I've put them on a shelf.

Hey guys I got my FMA Brotherhood 1 and 2 collection on Bluray in today and have a question regarding the slipcovers.

Amazon shipped them in a small box and the cases themselves are sealed but the slipcovers are not. There are small creases in spots on both of the slipcovers.

Is this pretty much avoidable? I dont believe I can get the price I did on them (67) anywhere physically around me and I feel if I asked for a return they would ship them the same way and I would still see creases on the edges.

I've noticed this on my Supernatural blurays as well. I bought them in store and took extreme care of them and they have creases. Are the slipcovers for blurays just really flimsy? I'm just bothered by the fact I bought these brand new and receive them in a fashion that looks like I've put them on a shelf.
The seal being inside the slipcover is pretty much the norm for Funimation. Actually, I don't know that I've ever seen something sealed around the outside of a slipcover before. As for whether or not to keep it, unless you're disgusted every time you see it I'd say hang on to it. My bigger concern would be that if you returned it, you might get one in worse condition. Then you'd be racking up a bunch of returns chasing down a pristine copy.

Actually, I don't know that I've ever seen something sealed around the outside of a slipcover before.
Of course there are.

The sets where there's one of those thicker blu-ray cases, inside a DVD sized slipcover that is hollow at the top are the ones that are usually sealed on the outside, otherwise they would just fall out from the bottom when you pick them up. ;D

You should know this from Shakugan S1 original set! (although you did gut it a bit, so you probably don't even remember XD)

I'm considering Robotics; Notes. This would be a blind buy. Any thought from anyone who has seen it?
From what I have heard, the general concensus seems to be "good, but not Steins;Gate amazery."

The LE set is very tempting, but the general slipcover not having that idiotic blue bar actually makes it almost as sexy.

Now, get the LE with clear Blu-ray cases? THAT would be kick-ass packaging.

Anyone watch their attack on titan with English subs yet? I remember there being a big fuss when Netflix started showing it because their subtitles were so bad, so I'm curious how these are

Of course there are.

The sets where there's one of those thicker blu-ray cases, inside a DVD sized slipcover that is hollow at the top are the ones that are usually sealed on the outside, otherwise they would just fall out from the bottom when you pick them up. ;D

You should know this from Shakugan S1 original set! (although you did gut it a bit, so you probably don't even remember XD)
Oh yeah. I must have blocked those out of my memory. :)

Did anyone happen to see a standard edition Attack on Titan at Best Buy today and note the price? BB.com doesn't have a proper listing for the standard edition.
Walmart.com has it but it's still up for pre-order for some reason. It's only 31.48 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/37015573)

Anyone watch their attack on titan with English subs yet? I remember there being a big fuss when Netflix started showing it because their subtitles were so bad, so I'm curious how these are
I've only had since yesterday but when I do watch it, I'm doing the dub first. :D

Yeah, it's not as good as Steins;gate and heck, it's not very interesting either. The first episodes were a bit boring and I stopped watching it. At least it's better than Chaos;Head.

You mean the original slipcover that was supposed to come with the set? ;D
Naw, just a DVD sized one of the one that came with it before. I would have LOLed hard if they sent me the first version slipcover. However, other than the slipcover, it is the exact same as the previous release. Shameful. I even sold my copy in preparation of this one lol.

I liked it more than Steins;Gate *flame shield up*. Real talk though, I liked the story it had with the robot club but once it got weird/generic, my love for the show dropped. It was OK. It entertained me.

Side note: I am kicking myself for not picking up the Baccano! bluray set before it went OOP.

See, I agree with you, my interest in the show was piqued strongly at the idea of a high school slice of life anime about a robotics club, but then they threw all that extra crap in there, and my interest waned, badly.  But, I did buy it when it was $13 at walmart, and will eventually watch that part.

Naw, just a DVD sized one of the one that came with it before. I would have LOLed hard if they sent me the first version slipcover. However, other than the slipcover, it is the exact same as the previous release. Shameful. I even sold my copy in preparation of this one lol.
How is that any different than FUNimation's previous Anime Classics or S.A.V.E. titles?

How is that any different than FUNimation's previous Anime Classics or S.A.V.E. titles?
Well since it is an Anime Classics release, I assumed they would give it a new case art AND most importantly, use bluray cases instead of DVD cases. Without the slipcover, it is exactly identical to the previous release of the collection. So why not just make it a S.A.V.E. release instead?

See, I agree with you, my interest in the show was piqued strongly at the idea of a high school slice of life anime about a robotics club, but then they threw all that extra crap in there, and my interest waned, badly. But, I did buy it when it was $13 at walmart, and will eventually watch that part.
Felt the same way.

I hear ya. I see the $150 prices online and thought....alright Aniplex. Then I saw it retailed for $50 and ended up passing it for the Funi DVD lol.
Lol I am tempted just to get the DVDs. For now, I shall continue my quest for a decently priced copy of the bluray set.

Well, there are actually anime classics and S.A.V.E. editions of series, but they just repackage the leftover stock in the Anime Classics/S.A.V.E. of some titles to get rid of remaining inventory.

I've seen the actual S.A.V.E. editions in stores now, and they have that ugly green bar down the middle of the spine, and I was like, "Oh, so they do actually exist," lol.

Well since it is an Anime Classics release, I assumed they would give it a new case art AND most importantly, use bluray cases instead of DVD cases. Without the slipcover, it is exactly identical to the previous release of the collection. So why not just make it a S.A.V.E. release instead?
Don't worry, they exist, but Funi is trying to get rid of the remaining inventory first before they send out the actual Anime Classics/S.A.V.E. editions for sale. XD

Don't worry, they exist, but Funi is trying to get rid of the remaining inventory first before they send out the actual Anime Classics/S.A.V.E. editions for sale. XD
Mind giving me a heads up when you do see the correct packaging for HLP? I WILL get a proper packaging for this set lol.

It varies depending on how it's being released. If they are just putting a new slipcover on (like manyof the first wave of Geneon titles) then they will use new coverart. If it was originally a multi-part release, then they get a new-ish cover.

I hear ya. I see the $150 prices online and thought....alright Aniplex. Then I saw it retailed for $50 and ended up passing it for the Funi DVD lol.
picked this and any other out of print stuff on the Christmas sale 2013 for 39.99. Was worth grabbing while it was as low as it was.

So Rightstuf just canceled my order for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie Bonds Beyond Time Bluray because the manufacturer has increased the price. Amazon has it for the original price Rightstuf did at $13.46. I placed my order there and told Rightstuf they lost a customer.

So Rightstuf just canceled my order for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie Bonds Beyond Time Bluray because the manufacturer has increased the price. Amazon has it for the original price Rightstuf did at $13.46. I placed my order there and told Rightstuf they lost a customer.
That's some class A BS right there. I still have my Evangelion 3.33 pre-order in for a cheaper price than what's on RS now and they didn't cancel my order. =S

RS just updated their Facebook. It seems some initial copies of their Attack on Titan LE's came with scratched disks and/or skipping issues. A shame to hear as my copy arrives today, hopefully its not a ton of them. I still don't have a perfect Psycho Pass box lol.

Just finished Kantangatari. Though it was great, with it's second half being better than the first half in nearly every way. Also though the ending was well done with it not being a cookie cutter one and I give the writer credit for what he did with
Togame in the last episode
. Overall it's a show that is worth rewatching.

RS just updated their Facebook. It seems some initial copies of their Attack on Titan LE's came with scratched disks and/or skipping issues. A shame to hear as my copy arrives today, hopefully its not a ton of them. I still don't have a perfect Psycho Pass box lol.
Welp, guess I should open mine.

EDIT: Both my blus/dvds are fine.

It's anime convention time.  I'll be at AnimeNext tomorrow, I'm a staffer there, but if anyone wants to say hi, you'll find me at the Dealer's Room manning the AN table

Curious to see what manga/anime deals I can scrounge up this year.

I'm going to AX for the first time this year. However, it's only 1 day and not the full weekend. :lol: Would've been a blast though.

picked this and any other out of print stuff on the Christmas sale 2013 for 39.99. Was worth grabbing while it was as low as it was.
I know, I am still kicking my for not picking it up. I also just lost an auction for the LE version lol. Damn.

So the Right Stuf studio sale going on right now. That stuff is usually the same or cheaper during Christmas right? There are a few titles I want to pick up (like Aria) but I think I can wait. Will for sure be picking up AMB and the last Utena boxset.

What day?

The single song concert?
Concert is Friday and has more songs though I am unfamiliar with her other stuff. On another note, the Titan BD's have hardcoded subs and no option to turn them on in english. Not a huge deal to me though my friend who watches everything with CC was pissy lol.

Also no subs on the little intermission cards that show some history of the world which I swear CR had when the show was airing.

bread's done
Back