Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Discotek Media Licenses Lupin III Vs. Detective Conan, Library Wars, Sonic X (Eng Dub/JPN version unsure), Giant Gorg Anime, and is going to rerelease 5 Centimeters per Second

5 Centimeters is slated for June 2nd, the other release dates would be announced at a later time. 

Looks like Discotek is going to re-release 5 Centimeters Per Second on DVD. No BD at the moment though they did mention maybe in the future. 

11091486_1065509363478157_6488367841367418359_n.jpg

Samurai Pizza Cats the complete series on SD-BD. This will be all 52 dubbed episodes on 1 BD disc in standard definition. Release date TBD

Blu Ray? Yes. Hope for more Blu Ray releases. 

Discotek Media Licenses Lupin III Vs. Detective Conan, Library Wars, Sonic X (Eng Dub/JPN version unsure), Giant Gorg Anime, and is going to rerelease 5 Centimeters per Second

5 Centimeters is slated for June 2nd, the other release dates would be announced at a later time.
I'll be interested to know which (if any) dub will go along with 5 Cm per Second.

Also Lupin III Vs. Detective Conan :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee:

All 52 episodes on ONE Blu-ray? Holy crap, that video quality is going to be AWFUL.

I doubt Sonic X will have the Japanese version. 4Kids had so many video edits that they would have to do flippers like Ronin Warriors, and I doubt there is enough of an audience for that.

Library Wars sounds familiar. Was it licensed here before?

All 52 episodes on ONE Blu-ray? Holy crap, that video quality is going to be AWFUL.
They had a discussion about it on their forums awhile back wondering what people thought of a Standard-definition BD with a large episode count on it and they mentioned Samurai Pizza Cats back then. The response was mixed though I guess it is more convenient than a large amount of DVD's? lol

Yea, but still. I know Blu-rays aren't as cheap as DVDs are, and they aren't doing a remaster or anything, but it still can't cost that much more to do 2 or 3 discs instead.

Looks like the April Fools blind boxes were a bust. XD
Got mine today. Folks, he's not kidding. And I only got one item.

WHAT DID YOU GET?!
I think it would be better to see it for yourself (assuming everyone got the same thing). Here's a clue for what I got:

It's from a company that has released anime before.

Discotek Media Licenses Lupin III Vs. Detective Conan,
Also Lupin III Vs. Detective Conan :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee:
THIS THIS THIS.

First Bobobo, then Dr. Slump, then Lupin (more than once). And now with Detective Conan, it's like Funimation doesn't want my money anymore. I take it Discotek releases are worth checking out?

I just got my April Fools Blind Boxes in.....the level of sadness I'm experiencing has never been recording.
How many did you order? I bought one and got a big laugh. Remember it was only 79 cents. :p

Was it a piece of paper that said April Fools?
No, it's thicker than that. In fact, mine is a "Deluxe" item.

XD

Just keeping checking your mail.

Assuming single layer, that's 6 DVDs, or 8-9 episodes per DVD.

If it's dual layer, that's 12 DVDs, or 4-5 episodes per DVD.

At worse, it's at 66% of the bitrate of a typical DVD movie. It's not -that- bad.

Edit 2: Dual layer Blu-ray holds about 23 hours of SD video. At the absolute max DVD bitrate, all of Samurai Pizza Cat would be <87 GB. You guys are worrying too much. If they're using DL Blu-ray and a single disk case, it'll be the exact same quality as if they released it in a dvd boxed set.

Edit 1: Ah, so they sent out old Geneon non-anime DVDs, lol. Then again, it was like 1/4 the cost of the Pi Day blind boxes (mine were all crap, and I wish I paid $0.79 each).

Looks like Discotek is going to re-release 5 Centimeters Per Second on DVD. No BD at the moment though they did mention maybe in the future.
Hopefully there will be a BD release. DVD only release would be lame. Though I guess I should just be happy its even get a released again.

Also, looks like I dodged a bullet with those April Fool's Blind Buys. lol

I got 5 I'm soooooo glad the high shipping discouraged me. At least with the pi day ones I could put them on my shlef. I can't even resell these -.-

Yeah, I ended up getting God's Little Acre labeled as a "Cinema Deluxe" Edition.  This was sealed yet my .hack cell volume 1 book was not.

By buying it on April Fools, I saved ... 21 cents.

I just got my April Fools Blind Boxes in.....the level of sadness I'm experiencing has never been recording.
Lol I ordered 12 @_@. Looks like I got new coasters and frisbees! They haven't shipped out yet, so I wonder if I could cancel my order for them lol

That's not how video encoding works. The quality will be the same as the DVDs. All they are doing is taking the DVD mpeg-2 files and converting them to mpeg-4 in SD. It won't be upscaled and the audio will probably remain the same bitrate as the DVDs.

That Samurai Pizza Cats "blu-ray" release is giving me gas. ~_~
el oh el

Assuming single layer, that's 6 DVDs, or 8-9 episodes per DVD.

If it's dual layer, that's 12 DVDs, or 4-5 episodes per DVD.

At worse, it's at 66% of the bitrate of a typical DVD movie. It's not -that- bad.
Actually, Blu-Rays are capable of having more than two layers. And a single multi-layer Blu-Ray is capable of storing more than 80 Gigs of memory. While I don't necessarily think that squeezing 52 standard-definition episodes on one disc is a good idea, it is a bit more possible than some people might think.

And we are talking about Samurai Pizza Cats, a show that was primarily notorious for the nature of its dubbing. (being completely re-cut and re-written for an English audience) It was never a graphical powerhouse to begin with.

AFAIK, the current max layers for a blu ray is quadruple.  That's a lot of data.  But, they are stupidly expensive, but from what I understand dual layer are pretty damn cheap by comparison, so dual layer makes sense.

Actually, Blu-Rays are capable of having more than two layers. And a single multi-layer Blu-Ray is capable of storing more than 80 Gigs of memory. While I don't necessarily think that squeezing 52 standard-definition episodes on one disc is a good idea, it is a bit more possible than some people might think.

And we are talking about Samurai Pizza Cats, a show that was primarily notorious for the nature of its dubbing. (being completely re-cut and re-written for an English audience) It was never a graphical powerhouse to begin with.
I'm aware of 100GB discs, but they're extremely expensive -- as in $40-50 a disc. There's no way any movie is going to be on one of those. Even if they used them, a typical PS3 can't use BDXL, so it's still a moot point. For commercial purposes at this time, there's no way they would do more than 50GB, or dual layer.

If anyone got Psychomania for one of their blind boxes, I'll buy it off you for $3.50 shipped (It'll be around $2 for 1st class if you print your labels).  If you have some good CAG feedback I can send paypal as a gift to save you on the fees.  PM me if you got one you want to get rid of.

If anyone got Psychomania for one of their blind boxes, I'll buy it off you for $3.50 shipped (It'll be around $2 for 1st class if you print your labels). If you have some good CAG feedback I can send paypal as a gift to save you on the fees. PM me if you got one you want to get rid of.
Are you going to be like the Jurassic Park guy, and have the biggest collection of Psychomania in the world?

Quick question for you guys

Is the Samurai X Complete Collection pretty rare? I saw one at my local Half Price Books and when I looked it up on Amazon, its going for like $300+

Is there a specific reason  for this?

Is the Samurai X Complete Collection pretty rare? I saw one at my local Half Price Books and when I looked it up on Amazon, its going for like $300+

Is there a specific reason for this?
Anime fans think that their out of print shows are worth a lot more than they really are.

FYI I bought the DENKI-GAI and Yuki Yuna Is a Hero first volumes. They came in the mail today.

I'll copy my post from NeoGAF over here.

2015-04-0903.20.22u1uzs.jpg

Welp, here you guys go.

BTW the video quality is outstanding. Really crisp and clean. On par if not better than AoA video quality. 
I have a bunch of people who have really been wanting to see what's all included, so here you go! 
If anyone has any questions about any of the releases, ask me and I will gladly answer!

The short of it; PONYCANON US does a fantastic job. For real. 
Knowing something like Sound! Euphonium is in their hands for release in the future makes me super happy that i'll get to enjoy it all over again in such a high-quality release, especially because a show like that deserves nothing less. 
Really great stuff here, and I will definitely be buying their releases again.

DENKI-GAI

Yuki Yuna is a Hero

I only included a couple of the keyframes for the pics I too.

SIZE COMPARISONS

Because the ADV sets are OOP. It was briefly rescued by, I believe, Aniplex, but it was only available in a super expensive boxset which is also OOP.

I would make sure it doesn't have cutouts on it. ADV had a blowout sale that was open to the public when they went under IIRC, then they dumped everything somewhere.

I want to cry when I see the prices on anime now. Luckily this set was after the crash, so I never had it.

If there is ever a shortage of Anime VHS tapes, I'll be raking in the cash. :lol:

Don't go solely off Amazon. Check ebay too. Amazon recently changed their seller policy, so to sell a DVD or bluray with MSRP > $24.99 you have to be a paid seller. That narrows availability.

For example, I have an Azumanga set that per Amazon goes for $100. But I can't list it. On ebay the same set goes for $40, because there are fewer seller restrictions.

FYI I bought the DENKI-GAI and Yuki Yuna Is a Hero first volumes. They came in the mail today.

Welp, here you guys go.

BTW the video quality is outstanding. Really crisp and clean. On par if not better than AoA video quality.
I have a bunch of people who have really been wanting to see what's all included, so here you go!
If anyone has any questions about any of the releases, ask me and I will gladly answer!

The short of it; PONYCANON US does a fantastic job. For real.
Knowing something like Sound! Euphonium is in their hands for release in the future makes me super happy that i'll get to enjoy it all over again in such a high-quality release, especially because a show like that deserves nothing less.
Really great stuff here, and I will definitely be buying their releases again.
I got my set Tuesday. While they are nice they are stupid big. I will finish out the two series but if they continue to make the packaging this size then I'm good. There is no need to make them this big. I know that NISA changed the size after all the complaints. I hope PONY does as well. Plus the price isn't worth it either $143.99 for 4 episodes. Thanks AOA Jr....

That being said, I got Sommelier as my Denki-Gai frame.

Got my Sacred Backsmith in the mail today. It actually came with the LE art box though it was smashed and looked like it sat in the rain for 3 years. The art box looks like it houses two normal sized dvd cases but it came with two thinpacks. 

Went to a not-so-local CD warehouse, and found a copy of Princess Kaguya for $16, and the big thing I found was a Ranma 1/2 set 2 blu ray for only $20.  I'm annoyed, though, because they aren't doing these in seasons, and so I'm missing 5 episodes between my season 1 old set, and this one.

I got my set Tuesday. While they are nice they are stupid big. I will finish out the two series but if they continue to make the packaging this size then I'm good. There is no need to make them this big. I know that NISA changed the size after all the complaints. I hope PONY does as well. Plus the price isn't worth it either $143.99 for 4 episodes. Thanks AOA Jr....

That being said, I got Sommelier as my Denki-Gai frame.
The big size is kinda funny. Really caught me off guard at first. I liked all the extras though, and they're all really nice. I wish I got a Sommelier for my keyframe even though I like Sensei. She would've been my second choice though. Also the Denki-gai one feels more... real? than a reproduction like the YuYuYu ones are.

The one thing I like about the size is that it allows for some nice and big pieces of art to be included, something I like. It is pretty pricey, but it's the first time I felt like I was given enough extras for it to be decent for what you pay for.

My anime budget isn't the same as everyone's, and I totally get that. I am willing to dish out some money if/when they do a Sound Euphonium release. I mostly went with these two releases because I moderately enjoyed the two shows, and wanted to support their entry into the market.

Got my Sacred Backsmith in the mail today. It actually came with the LE art box though it was smashed and looked like it sat in the rain for 3 years. The art box looks like it houses two normal sized dvd cases but it came with two thinpacks.
It's two slim dvd cases, and on the other side is the art box that contained all the extras from the LE, which is what would normally take up that space.

Jurassic park guy?
The guy who has all the Jurassic Park SNES games. Instead of keeping food in a fridge, he keeps SNES games in there. And instead of bath water, he uses SNES games.

Royal Space Force BD/DVD pack worth $30? I noticed the random amazon drop to $50 last night and when I checked ebay, the same merchant was selling it cheaper on ebay. This seems to be the older release with art box since the Maiden Japan sets are separated. 

bread's done
Back