Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and my Darker than Black S1 "Premium" came in. Worst Funi packaging idea ever. I could actually forgive the flimsy box, but the size! WTF! I can't fit it anywhere. I think I'm going to see if there's any space in S2's box to stuff the discs otherwise I'm gonna go buy a standard box so I can stuff it in my DVD spinner. Then that giant box can go collect dust somewhere. Hate it when people think they are being smart and creative, but clearly don't actually own any anime themselves. An easel....really....like I want to display this. <sigh>
Designer 1: "I know what will make it cool. Let's make the case like an envelope, because, you know, it'll be like they're getting a mission."

Designer 2: "Oh my god! That sounds AWESOME! We should totally do that."

Designer 3: "But wouldn't that make it hard to store for the customres?"

Designer 1: "Shut up! We finally got the license to do the blu for S1 from Aniplex, so we're going to do it damnit!"

Designer 2: "Yeah! Plus, we could always make a standard edition since we have the license from Aniplex. It's not like we're going to lose it all of a sudden or anything."

Designer Group: *awkward sarcastic laughter, while eyes are rolling all around the room*

I honestly think the original series had better animation.
55vdGJy.gif

End up Picked up both Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood OVA and Fullmetal Alchemist The Movie – Conqueror of Shamballa under $24 Shipped.  No Need to buy 2nd set for flipping later.  Possible 4K version coming in the next few years ;)

I agree. Brotherhood looks sloppy, more cartoony in an attempt to make it look more action packed.

I think I'm one of the few people that likes the original FMA better than Brotherhood. Both are awesome though.
Add me to that list. It's been an uphill battle.

Although I still haven't finished brotherhood. I watched about 8-10 episodes and it felt like FMA for people with ADD or young children. IT didn't have the emotion of the first series.

Although I still haven't finished brotherhood. I watched about 8-10 episodes and it felt like FMA for people with ADD or young children. IT didn't have the emotion of the first series.
Agreed. The first series was a stronger emotional, art-house driven narrative. I liked the art direction and stylistic melodrama a lot.

It felt pretty jarring to switch over to Brotherhood with the screamy floppy anime heads, massive outbursts, holding of kanji signs, continual swapping to chibi/sprite mode, the Chinese characters that felt shoehorned in, just many anime tropes in general. It felt like such a large departure from the mature tone of the first series. Brotherhood did have stronger characters and better character development though. It just felt much more shounen.

Then again, I always tend to like the first movie the most in any trilogy or series as well: A New Hope, Batman Begins. The initial experience and introduction to the new characters always seems to resonate the loudest. Sequels and remakes suffer from redundancies, departures, sometimes pretentious referencing, just derivative nature in general.

I think I'm one of the few people that likes the original FMA better than Brotherhood. Both are awesome though.
I agree. Brotherhood looks sloppy, more cartoony in an attempt to make it look more action packed.

Add me to that list. It's been an uphill battle.

I'm right here with you guys.

Agreed. The first series was a stronger emotional, art-house driven narrative. I liked the art direction and stylistic melodrama a lot.

It felt pretty jarring to switch over to Brotherhood with the screamy floppy anime heads, massive outbursts, holding of kanji signs, continual swapping to chibi/sprite mode, the Chinese characters that felt shoehorned in, just many anime tropes in general. It felt like such a large departure from the mature tone of the first series. Brotherhood did have stronger characters and better character development though. It just felt much more shounen.

Then again, I always tend to like the first movie the most in any trilogy or series as well: A New Hope, Batman Begins. The initial experience and introduction to the new characters always seems to resonate the loudest. Sequels and remakes suffer from redundancies, departures, sometimes pretentious referencing.

Nailed it.

In Brotherhood's defense, it never bothered trying to top the first series when it came to material already covered. Just start with Episode 16, which introduces Ling. The pace becomes much more standardized since the show stopped playing catch-up.

Amazon sent my Eva in a bubble pack as usual. Everything was fine as usual. I've never had any issues >,>

WTF, then don't comment! The first 8-10 episodes of FMA:B is speeding through the canon parts of FMA (first half). Of course it's going to feel like it's for people with ADD.

Jesus Christ. You people.

NNCPwdr.jpg

Episode 10 of FMA:B is literally episode 25/26 of FMA, so of course it's going to feel rushed.

FMA's non-canon portions also contradicts the canon parts in a couple points. Doesn't happen in FMA:B proper.

Completely agree. I was never much of a FMA fan, but I could watch the original. Didn't care for the twenty or so episodes of Brotherhood that I seen. Not big into when anime studios remake the same series with an alternate retelling. Don't really care if it's closer to the manga.

WTF, then don't comment! The first 8-10 episodes of FMA:B is speeding through the canon parts of FMA (first half). Of course it's going to feel like it's for people with ADD.

Jesus Christ. You people.
7-tropic-thunder-quotes.gif

I guess my point was FMA is probably my 2nd favorite series of all time, but I couldn't make it through brotherhood. It felt shallow. I'll try again eventually.

I guess my point was FMA is probably my 2nd favorite series of all time, but I couldn't make it through brotherhood. It felt shallow. I'll try again eventually.
It is far far far from shallow, and it -will- replace FMA as your 2nd favorite series of all time.

I mean, it has a panda.

x4%2BXiao%2BMei%2Bcaptured.jpg

...FMA deviated from the source material early in its run, whereas Brotherhood is a straight up adaptation of the manga.
The first 15 episodes either altered or straight up skipped a ton of of material that the first series covered, especially anything involving Yoki. Not to mention I don't believe Cornello turned into a monster in the manga.

The biggest change in the first half of the original was the addition of Bradley's secretary and a few random filler episodes. The show also took its time with the material, which made a few events have more impact. For instance, Hughes. What happens to him is far more powerful in the original than in Brotherhood.

And the original series has the superior movie to boot.

My only problem with Brotherhood was they tried too hard to be funny - especially when Barry the Chopper was involved.

Don't get me wrong, I like FMA: Brotherhood. I just thought they should have toned down the humor like the first series did.

Well watched the first 25 minutes of EVA 3.33 and I can understand why people say that it's awful.

At least the animation seems good and the CG isn't terrible.

Ok, so if I wanted to show both FMA and Brotherhood series back-to-back to someone who never saw either one, what would be the best way to do it without being too repetitive, but without missing too much either - watch all of FMA and then jump in at episode 10 or later of Brotherhood? Throw the FMA movie in there somewhere too? or just watch both full series one after the other?   I've seen both, FMA just recently for the first time and Brotherhood a year or two ago, and I think I preferred FMA over Bro-hood for at least the part of the story it covers. 

The original FMA definitely does a better job at the early parts before they go off with their own story. Once that split happens, though, Brotherhood is just so much better. I still like the original, but the story they came up with to 'finish' it just can't compare.

I love both series, but I sit comfortably in the camp that prefers the original anime. They both have their faults, no one can deny that. But '03 is fantastic, powerful, and incredibly emotional.

So many people quickly jumped on the "original anime sucks" bandwagon once Brotherhood came along. But there is a reason it was widely considered one of the best anime of all time.

Both full metal alchemists series are terrible!

*runs away*
SOMEONE HARM THIS MAN NOW.

Ok, so if I wanted to show both FMA and Brotherhood series back-to-back to someone who never saw either one, what would be the best way to do it without being too repetitive, but without missing too much either - watch all of FMA and then jump in at episode 10 or later of Brotherhood? Throw the FMA movie in there somewhere too? or just watch both full series one after the other? I've seen both, FMA just recently for the first time and Brotherhood a year or two ago, and I think I preferred FMA over Bro-hood for at least the part of the story it covers.
That is a good strategy. I would start Brotherhood at the Greed fight since that is the point in which the original anime started doing its own thing.

You kinda have to show Shamballa, though, since the original series ends on a cliffhanger without one.

I personally like the ending of the original series(which the movie had to screw up). The Brotherhood ending is too happy and safe ,considering everything they go through.While the ending of the original fit more in line with themes of the series.

Are the FMAB OVAs worth owning? I never did see them when they were initially released. Or... Are the OVAs limited to just the first series? I don't even know.

Are the FMAB OVAs worth owning? I never did see them when they were initially released. Or... Are the OVAs limited to just the first series? I don't even know.
Both series have OAVs. Brotherhood's are better, but they're not essential.

Both series have OAVs. Brotherhood's are better, but they're not essential.
Hmm, the only OVA I have is the Brotherhood OVA Collection, the BD/DVD combo pack in the DVD-sized case with slip. I guess since the FMA series just released on Blu-ray for the first time, the OVAs for that original series are only on DVD.

The Brotherhood ending is too happy and safe ,considering everything they go through.While the ending of the original fit more in line with themes of the series.
Definitely. Way too sunshine-and-roses for the rest of the show.

FMA was about loss, regret, atonement, compromise, & eternal bonds, and the original show's ending (both of them, actually) captured all of that.

Which is not to say that the Elrics didn't deserve a happy ending. Anyone will agree they did. But they never get off that easy.

I personally like the ending of the original series(which the movie had to screw up). The Brotherhood ending is too happy and safe ,considering everything they go through.While the ending of the original fit more in line with themes of the series.
Definitely. Way too sunshine-and-roses for the rest of the show.

FMA was about loss, regret, atonement, compromise, & eternal bonds, and the original shop's ending both of them, actually) captured all of that.

Which is not to say that the Elrics didn't deserve a happy ending. Anyone will agree they did. But they never get off that easy.
Heaven forbid that the manga's author actually wanted that ending in the first place. :roll:

Just because it was the author's intent doesn't mean it's better.

I would have liked the OG series ending more if they had Winry cross over someone as well.

Anyway, in other news, I got my Eva 3.33 and it came undamaged, likely because it was packaged with a Gundam model I ordered back in April.

Heaven forbid that the manga's author actually wanted that ending in the first place. :roll:
I don't care if she wanted that ending or not(it's not like the ending went as the series themes).It doesn't change the fact that you could have someone else's interpretation of the material(which I thought was better personally). I don't really care for safe,and boring crowd pleaser endings like the one she went with.

For some reason, one of my local Best Buys is selling the Scarlet Spring Naruto manga that came out last month. They had a stack of them at the customer service desk. It was actually on sale for $4.99 when I bought it yesterday. This was at the El Segundo, CA location, by the way.

Re: FMA:B... I'm still missing Part 5 of the original BD release. Unlike the first four volumes, the fifth never went on sale at Amazon. =(

All this FMA Brotherhood talk reminded me that Borders was still in business back when those initial blu ray sets were released, as I got all five new from them for 40-60% off.

I miss Borders.

For some reason, one of my local Best Buys is selling the Scarlet Spring Naruto manga that came out last month. They had a stack of them at the customer service desk. It was actually on sale for $4.99 when I bought it yesterday. This was at the El Segundo, CA location, by the way.

Re: FMA:B... I'm still missing Part 5 of the original BD release. Unlike the first four volumes, the fifth never went on sale at Amazon. =(
Its part of an anime/gaming promo going on in this weeks ad.

FMA is hands down the better version to me. I'm going to pick up Brotherhood to own at some point regardless, but mostly as comparison to show others why FMA was better.

The original FMA definitely does a better job at the early parts before they go off with their own story. Once that split happens, though, Brotherhood is just so much better. I still like the original, but the story they came up with to 'finish' it just can't compare.
This right here exactly nails everything in regards to discussing both FMA anime series.

The distinction between the FMA brotherhood and vanilla FMA endings comes down to personal preference. They are both good, and stand head and shoulders above the average endings for most anime series.

Personally, I come down on the Brotherhood side of the fence. And it's less for me about happy or sad than it is about coherence. While the vanilla FMA's ending was indeed on-point when it came to the theme of the series, it was structurally weaker, with a much less interesting antagonist. The brotherhood series overall had a much more appealing and interesting cast of antagonists. The way in which the ending for brotherhood handles those antagonists is excellent. One could easily argue that the brotherhood ending doesn't handle the protagonists as well. (with too few consequences to hand out) But that is only looking at half of the equation.

Half the antagonists in Brotherhood were just bad for the sake of being bad. Obviously their personalities stem from their sin, but beyond that, half the homunculi were Saturday morning cartoon villains.

The homunculi in '03 were all molded by their experiences before, after, and during their "birth." It weighed on them all heavily - except Greed, and Gluttony (who got no characterization in either show other than "hunger" and "Lust").

And we know what the author of Usagi Drop wanted. What's your point?

bread's done
Back