Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Got free shipping for my Black Friday purchases from Sentai Filmworks. Generally how long does it take for Sentai Filmworks to ship orders?

Got free shipping for my Black Friday purchases from Sentai Filmworks. Generally how long does it take for Sentai Filmworks to ship orders?
They just opened up recently so I assume that since there are a lot of people buying stuff from them, it should take a bit longer than normal... Never ordered til last sunday for the parasyte PEs and it still hasn't processed. My account said I paid but it's not yet fufiled but Ill be glad to wait due to the amazing price...

-----

Regrets not getting Nozaki-Kun and the Akame Ga Kill... Spent too much money on clothes and necessities during black friday so I don't have any anime funds...

They just opened up recently so I assume that since there are a lot of people buying stuff from them, it should take a bit longer than normal... Never ordered til last sunday for the parasyte PEs and it still hasn't processed. My account said I paid but it's not yet fufiled but Ill be glad to wait due to the amazing price...

-----

Regrets not getting Nozaki-Kun and the Akame Ga Kill... Spent too much money on clothes and necessities during black friday so I don't have any anime funds...
lame, nozaki is better than both parasyte and akame.

though to be fair while I think parasyte is the superior show I picked up the akama PE and not parasyte because they looked better :p

Guess I got lucky? I was able to play it fine on my blu-ray player and it doesn't handle region B.
It look like the limited edition was a repackaged japanese edition which is region free which is likely what you have. That release is out of print and impossible to find for less than the japanese retail price of $200. The standard edition which is 30 pounds is region locked.

Only a few titles this time, which will make sorting into a final list easier:

Golgo 13

Ninja Triple Feature

Bubblegum Crisis 2040

I actually saw the first few episodes of BGC2040 and liked it a lot so I'll probably buy it this year.

Got free shipping for my Black Friday purchases from Sentai Filmworks. Generally how long does it take for Sentai Filmworks to ship orders?
Nozaki that I ordered on Tuesday shipped on Wednesday while Akame that I ordered on Monday shipped on Thursday, so hard to say. I'm sure they're flooded with orders at this point, so probably longer than that right now.

that's because the Sentai store stuff is shipped directly from Righstuf in Iowa. They do a great job.
Ah interesting. I wonder if Righstuf is intentionally pricing things slightly higher than to get people to buy from the Sentai store or if it's just strictly they do the shipping kind of thing.

I'm sure there are price agreements in place by both companies in regards to the sale prices set by Rightstuf on the Sentai sets.   RS can only afford to have these sales when they get reimbursed/discounted from the publisher. 

I could have bought more, but I'm holding out for Rightstu's sale. I remembered that Angel Beats sold pretty quickly last year, so I got it now while the gettin' was good.

Ah interesting. I wonder if Righstuf is intentionally pricing things slightly higher than to get people to buy from the Sentai store or if it's just strictly they do the shipping kind of thing.
Seems like its priced slightly higher to account for the fact that sentai has to charge sales tax and rightstuf doesn't. With sales tax added to the sentai prices they are roughly the same.

Seems like its priced slightly higher to account for the fact that sentai has to charge sales tax and rightstuf doesn't. With sales tax added to the sentai prices they are roughly the same.
Hmm...I didn't get charged sales tax? Not sure where sentai is domiciled, maybe California? That may be why. Glad I wasn't, $200+ on an order would be a sizeable tax.

Depressing. Not enough income to blow two or three hundred on these holiday sales like I use to have. And the Sentai sale is quite rather enticing to say the least.

Only a few titles this time, which will make sorting into a final list easier:

Golgo 13

Ninja Triple Feature

Bubblegum Crisis 2040

I actually saw the first few episodes of BGC2040 and liked it a lot so I'll probably buy it this year.
Golgo 13 is cheaper at Sentai (just fyi) :)

and there goes $180.

couldn't resist my love story for half off a month before it releases (and it says in stock so maybe early shipment whoot)

also filled out yakitate.

I am in the mood for something like black lagoon so I got jorgamond

future diary was on my list to buy in general.
Is My Love Story good? I saw the little flyer thing that Rightstuf sends in its packages and it sounds intriguing.

Is My Love Story good? I saw the little flyer thing that Rightstuf sends in its packages and its sounds intriguing.
It is good but $50 is not a good price. Doesn't matter that they say its marked down from $100. Thats release retail price for a sentai release.

Is My Love Story good? I saw the little flyer thing that Rightstuf sends in its packages and it sounds intriguing.
It is good but $50 is not a good price. Doesn't matter that they say its marked down from $100. Thats release retail price for a sentai release.
My Love Story was yesterday's Mega Deal anyways, so at this point the sale price is moot. :D

And the retail price for that set actually is $100 from Sentai.

They have been steadily increasing the retail prices of some of their recently released sets for the past year or so, so some of the sale items feels way worse now because of the increasing Sentai retail prices from the start. Also, not just Sentai, but Funi has been doing it as well lately. Kinda of starting to get a little janky.

If you don't mind romcoms but are tired of the cliches it's really solid as it's basically the anti japanese rom com :p

actually, it's a solid price and cheaper than most of their other releases.

a lot of the other series you are looking at $32 on sale per part (aka about $64 for a 24 episode series)... my love story's release is the entire 24 episode series as a single release from the start so $50 is a solid price for that.

If every 24-26 episode series I liked released as a single set from the start and were on sale for $50 I would likely just preorder all of them :p

instead I tend to just wait until a series is released that way and get it on sale for like $30

True that too with the 20+ episode sets from Sentai.

They've always pretty much been about the $20-$25 range for Sentai sets for each part of a series, so if you think about combining the two sets together value wise by episode count, it more or less comes out to about the same.

They have been steadily increasing the retail prices of some of their recently released sets for the past year or so, so some of the sale items feels way worse now because of the increasing Sentai retail prices from the start. Also, not just Sentai, but Funi has been doing it as well lately. Kinda of starting to get a little janky.
Thank you, been saying this forever now and all the Funi fanboys are like well blah blah blah. I'm like no, they raised their prices and it sucks lol. Sentai started it when they started with the stupid 2 part LE's. So far though the prices of the non LE's have stayed about the same.

Haruhi mega deal OMG

Madoka Magicka 3 movie also on sale.  Wonder how many aniplex titles we will see this year. 

Madoka is tempting.

Still crossing my fingers for Your Lie in April...and I'd probably get Gurren Lagann if it went on sale, so I kind of hope it doesn't.

Prices dropped on Amazon for a few items that have been in my cart forever ...

Freezing S1 $16.99
Shiki Complete Series SAVE Edition $16.99
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Ultimate Collector's Edition [Blu ray] $92.90

Dang... Regret buying Haruhi.... I bought it a while ago at rightstuf and thought that it would go OoP asap but it didn't... I haven't even opened up my set yet... So I would rather have bought it at $75 than $105... :( I need to learn to wait instead of fearing OoP third party sellers...

Preordered it back and got it when it released with GA? discount, so about $101.
Well thats not that horrible. I think its clear its best to not trust that any of these sets from Sentai and Funimation are going to be truly limited from now on. Sentai wants around $120 for the Amagi Brilliant Park CE and around $90 for the Danmachi CE and if there is one thing that these sales have made clear its to wait.

Hell the damn Bebop Amazon edition just got a reprint and was being sold for a few days at retail before scalpers took hold again.

Oh and given the aniplex titles on sale is anyone terrified for their wallets if by chance we see the monogatari series put on sale? I am.

Here's the list everybody.

A couple of things to note.

The Limited Time Offers does have some repeats from last week.

The Naughty List has also updated with new listing, but I see no point in actually posting the list, as it's tedious, and also, who really gives a shit.

Mega Deal

Day 8

The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya and Nyoron! Churuya-san Complete Series DVD - $12.49
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray - $74.99
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Seasons 1 and 2 DVD - $27.49
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Seasons 1 and 2 Blu-ray - $32.49

Daily Sales

Day 8

Amagami SS+ Complete Collection Blu-ray - $23.99
Amagami SS+ Complete Series DVD - $17.49
Amagami SS Complete Series Blu-ray - $31.49
Amagami SS Collection 1 DVD - $9.74
Amagami SS Collection 2 DVD - $9.74
Amagami SS Complete Series DVD - $24.49
Animation Runner Kuromi 2 DVD - $6.99
Aquarion DVD S.A.V.E. Edition - $13.49
Bodacious Space Pirates Abyss of Hyperspace Movie Blu-ray - $19.99
Bodacious Space Pirates Abyss of Hyperspace Movie DVD - $14.99
Bodacious Space Pirates Collection 2 Blu-ray - $13.99
Bodacious Space Pirates Complete Collection Blu-ray - $31.49
Bodacious Space Pirates Collection 2 DVD - $10.99
Bodacious Space Pirates Complete Collection DVD - $24.49
Brothers Conflict Complete Series + OVA Blu-ray/DVD - $37.49
Brothers Conflict Complete Series + OVA Limited Blu-ray/DVD - $42.49
Cardcaptor Sakura Complete Series Premium Edition Blu-ray - $139.99
Cardcaptor Sakura DVD Bundle - $99.99
Cardcaptor Sakura Set 1 DVD - $34.99
Cardcaptor Sakura Set 2 DVD - $34.99
Cardcaptor Sakura Set 3 DVD - $34.99
Cardcaptor Sakura Manga Omnibus 1 - $10.00
Cardcaptor Sakura Manga Omnibus 2 - $10.00
Cardcaptor Sakura Manga Omnibus 3 - $10.00
Cardcaptor Sakura Manga Omnibus 4 - $10.00
Castlevania Curse of Darkness Manga Volume 1 - $3.99
Castlevania Curse of Darkness Manga Volume 2 - $3.99
Cool Dimension DVD - $3.99
Croisee in a Foreign Labyrinth DVD - $17.49
Dark Cat DVD - $2.99
Death Trance Ultimate Edition DVD + Tin - $4.49
Demon Sacred Manga 01 - $4.39
Demon Sacred Manga 02 - $4.39
Demon Sacred Manga 03 - $4.39
Demon Sacred Manga 04 - $4.39
Dragon Ball GT Complete Series DVD - $34.99
Dragon Ball GT Season 1 DVD - $17.49
Dragon Ball GT Season 2 DVD - $17.49
Dragon Ball Movie Complete Collection DVD Remastered - $17.49
Dragon Ball Season 1 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Season 2 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Season 3 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Season 4 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Season 5 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movie: Broly Double Feature Blu-ray (Movies 8,10) - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F Movie Blu-ray/DVD + Digital HD - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F Movie Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD + Digital HD - $27.49
Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F Movie DVD - $14.99
Dragon Ball Z Bardock/Trunks Double Feature Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5 Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 8 Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 1 Blu-ray - $27.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 2 Blu-ray - $27.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 3 Blu-ray - $27.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 4 Blu-ray - $27.49
Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5 DVD - $14.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 6 DVD - $14.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 8 DVD - $14.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 1 DVD - $24.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 2 DVD - $24.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 3 DVD - $24.99
Dragon Ball Z Kai Season 4 DVD - $24.99
Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 Battle of Gods Blu-ray/DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 Battle of Gods DVD Uncut - $14.99
Dragon Ball Z Movie Collection 1 DVD - $14.99
Dragon Ball Z Movie Collection 2 DVD (Movies 6-9) - $13.49
Dragon Ball Z Movie Collection 3 DVD - $13.49
Dragon Ball Z Movies 12-13 Fusion Reborn/Wrath of the Dragon Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movies 1-2 Dead Zone/World's Strongest Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movies 3-4 Tree of Might/Lord Slug Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movies 5-6 Cooler's Revenge/Return of Cooler Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movies 7&9: Super Android 13/Bojack Unbound Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Movies 8, 10, 11 Blu-ray - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 1 Blu-ray Uncut - $20.24
Dragon Ball Z Season 1 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 2 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 2 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 3 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 3 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 4 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 4 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 5 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 5 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 6 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 6 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 7 Blu-ray Uncut - $20.24
Dragon Ball Z Season 7 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 8 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 8 DVD Uncut - $17.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 9 Blu-ray Uncut - $22.49
Dragon Ball Z Season 9 DVD Uncut - $17.49
The Dreaming Manga Omnibus Collection - $7.99
E's Otherwise Complete Collection DVD - $9.99
Etotama Bundle - $135.00
ETOTAMA Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD 1 + CD - $53.99
Etotama Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD 2 + CD - $53.99
ETOTAMA Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD 3 + CD - $53.99
eX-Driver: The Movie CD Soundtrack - $2.39
Fantasista Doll Blu-ray - $20.99
Fantasista Doll DVD - $17.49
Fractale Blu-ray/DVD SAVE Edition - $14.99
Fractale Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD - $31.49
Gourmet Girl Graffiti Blu-ray - $29.99
Gourmet Girl Graffiti DVD - $24.99
Gungrave Complete Series Blu-ray Anime Classics - $24.74
Gungrave Complete Series DVD Anime Classics - $22.49
Hades Project Zeorymer DVD 1 - $1.99
Highschool of the Dead Blu-ray - $24.49
Highschool of the Dead DVD - $20.99
Highschool of the Dead OVA Drifters of the Dead Blu-ray - $3.49
Highschool of the Dead OVA Drifters of the Dead DVD - $2.44
Highschool of the Dead TV + OVA Blu-ray/DVD - $52.49
Hunter X Hunter Set 1 Blu-ray - $26.99
Hunter X Hunter Set 1 DVD - $19.99
Interviews with Monster Girls Manga Volume 1 - $6.24
Japanese the Manga Way - $12.48
Japanese Writing Guide Bundle - $21.99
Jormungand Blu-ray/DVD - $29.24
Jormungand Perfect Order (Season 2) Blu-ray/DVD - $29.24
Juden Chan Complete Series DVD - $12.49
Juden Chan Recharged Blu-ray - $19.99
Juden Chan Recharged DVD - $12.49
Kanji Box - $4.98
Kanji Pict-O-Graphix Dragon Book: Blood, Fire, and Spirit - $4.98
Kill Me Baby Blu-ray - $24.49
Kill Me Baby DVD - $20.99
Linebarrels of Iron Complete Series DVD S.A.V.E. Edition - $13.49
Locodol Blu-ray - $26.99
Locodol DVD - $22.49
Man Who Doesn't Take Off His Clothes Novel 02 - $4.03
MEGANEBU Blu-ray - $20.99
MEGANEBU DVD - $17.49
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Collection 1 Blu-ray - $37.49
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Collection 1 DVD - $29.99
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Collection 2 Blu-ray - $37.49
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Collection 2 DVD - $29.99
Monkey D. Luffy Mallow One Piece Figure - $6.99
No Game No Life Blu-ray - $27.99
No Game, No Life Collector's Edition Blu-ray/DVD + CDs - $64.99
No Game No Life DVD - $23.99
Noir Complete Series Blu-ray Anime Classics - $24.99
Noir Complete Series DVD Anime Classics - $22.49
Phoenix (Hinotori) Complete Collection DVD Litebox - $12.49
Princess Tutu DVD - $17.99
Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie -Rebellion- Blu-ray - $29.98
Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie -Rebellion- Limited Edtion Blu-ray/DVD - $49.98
Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Rebellion DVD - $24.98
Redline Blu-ray - $7.99
Redline DVD - $5.99
Samurai Harem Asu no Yoichi DVD - $17.49
Samurai Legend Manga - $2.49
Seduction More Beautiful Than Love Manga 01 - $3.99
Seduction More Beautiful Than Love Manga 02 - $3.99
Selector Infected WIXOSS Blu-ray/DVD - $32.49
Selector Infected WIXOSS Limited Edition Blu-ray/DVD - $34.99
Selector Spread WIXOSS Blu-ray/DVD - $32.49
Spice and Wolf Complete Series Blu-ray/DVD - $24.74
Spice and Wolf Season 1 Blu-ray - $22.49
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar Collection 1 DVD - $13.99
A Little Snow Fairy Sugar Collection 2 DVD - $13.99
TARI TARI Blu-ray - $20.99
TARI TARI DVD - $17.49
The Ghost and the Lady Manga Volume 1 (Hardcover) - $6.24
The Heroic Legend of Arslan Season 1 Part 1 Blu-ray/DVD - $32.49
Trinity Blood Rage Against the Moons Novel 2 Silent Noise - $3.19
Trinity Blood Rage Against the Moons Novel 3 Know Faith - $4.99
Trinity Blood Rage Against the Moons Novel 4 Judgment Day - $4.99
Trinity Blood Reborn on the Mars Novel 1 - $3.49
Trinity Blood Reborn on the Mars Novel 2 - $3.99
Trinity Blood Reborn on the Mars Novel 3 - $3.99
Trinity Blood Complete Series Blu-ray - $22.49
Trinity Blood Complete Series DVD Anime Classics - $17.99
Utakata DVD - $17.49
Viewtiful Joe DVD 3 + Figure - $2.99
White Night Melody Manga 01 - $3.49
X TV Series Complete Series DVD Anime Classics - $14.99
You're Being Summoned Azazel DVD - $19.99

Limited Time Offers

Bleach Set 1 Blu-ray - $27.49
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 1 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 2 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 3 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 4 - $5.99

One-Punch Man Manga 06 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 5 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 7 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 8 - $5.99
One-Punch Man Manga Volume 9 - $5.99

One-Punch Man Manga Volume 10 - $5.99

One-Punch Man Manga (1-9) Bundle - $49.49
Ranma 1/2 Standard Edition Blu-ray Set 1 - $25.00
Ranma 1/2 Standard Edition Blu-ray Set 2 - $25.00
Ranma 1/2 Standard Edition Blu-ray Set 3 - $25.00
Ranma 1/2 Standard Edition Blu-ray Set 5 - $25.00
Ranma 1/2 Standard Edition Blu-ray Set 6 - $25.00
Ranma 1/2 Standard Edition Blu-ray Set 7 - $25.00
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 1 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 2 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 3 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 4 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 5 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 6 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 7 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 8 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 9 - $7.79

Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 10 - $7.79
Tokyo Ghoul Manga Volume 11 - $7.79

Tokyo Ghoul Manga (1-9) Bundle - $64.49

^I think the only "limited" CEs we can expect to sell out and be truly OOP are the uber popular ones like Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul. Both currently have a big fanbase and their limited editions are OOP. Haruhi would probably be OOP if this was a decade ago. Code Geass went OOP probably because their boxes were all screwed up and production ceased after a ton of complaints. Escaflowne's limited availability made sense because the KS backers (myself included) were pissed that the general public got everything for a better price minus the tarot cards and a poster.

Funny you bring up the Amagi CE. It's the same amount of episodes as Chunibyou and has similar extras as the two seasons' CE releases, yet the price is slightly more expensive. I was considering getting a GA? membership again and preordering Amagi when a Sentai sale rolls around, but after seeing the Sentai sale and even stuff like NGNL, Nozaki, and Boundary tanking in price, I think I'll be fine waiting. Then again, the Chunibyou S1 set did go OOP after about a year, so I'm completely torn. I love Amagi but don't want to get screwed. Perhaps people will hesitate and expect a sale rather than buy these overpriced sets right away. $60-75 seems like a fair price for 13 episodes with some physical goodies, not $90-110.

Had to bite on that half off Haruhi.

While I don't think every LE will stay stocked till next year, seeing Sentai's recent sale does give me pause for any orders I might place. I probably would have grabbed My Love Story for half off if I didn't think it would be at least that much off if not more this time next year.

Today is the day that (11/28/2016) the start of the NISA Store sale. Although they didn't update the banners and stuff, the prices of stuff did change that looks like cyber monday deals. It lasts til the December 2 based on the email.

Not everything in the store is on sale. Only select anime. Based on their email its up to 62% off. The prices are similar to Rightstuf's prices for the holidays but they "may" come with bonus.

*-bonus item

Going Home Club PE* $39.99

Kotura-san PE* $29.99

Nagi no Asukara PE* $99.99

Princess and Pilot SE + Pilot Love Song PE* $52.99

Princess and Pilot SE $19.99

If Her Flag Breaks PE* $39.99

Pilot Love Song PE* $38.99

Wagnaria 2 SE $29.99

Hanairo 1 PE $29.99

Catgod PE* $19.99

Fuse PE* $19.99

Hanairo movie PE* $29.99

Umineko 1+2* PE $74.99

Umineko 1 PE $47.99

Umineko 2 PE $29.99

My paycheck is on Wednesday so I hope NaginoAsukra is still there. I really do want the flag and I loved the show ever since it came out. I didn't buy it yet since I was broke but now since it's the holiday season, I'm not gonna save this month and splurge on my desires. I'm gonna pick up the other NISA PE I don't have, like Kotura, If Her Flag Breaks, and Going Home Club. They aren't A+ animes but I did enjoy them and they are nice sets. I recommend Umineko for a blind buy. I bought it last year as a blind buy and it was entertaining for me.

Edit: Totally forgot about the free holiday card you get from them for every purchase you make. ;)

Had to bite on that half off Haruhi.

While I don't think every LE will stay stocked till next year, seeing Sentai's recent sale does give me pause for any orders I might place. I probably would have grabbed My Love Story for half off if I didn't think it would be at least that much off if not more this time next year.
Also the fact that it's going to have a PE later next year is putting the show on pause til a big sentai sale like this years.

I really want to recommend Cardcaptor Sakura. I really do.
So I've never watched this show, but I tend to hear good things about it. Asides from the inconsistencies in sub-titles and dub (which I won't listen to anyways), is the show itself good? $2/episode doesn't seem unreasonable. It is a little creepy how the season 2 description talks about going on to 5th grade and then something about the romances in her life. 5th grader....romances? ew.

So I've never watched this show, but I tend to hear good things about it. Asides from the inconsistencies in sub-titles and dub (which I won't listen to anyways), is the show itself good? $2/episode doesn't seem unreasonable. It is a little creepy how the season 2 description talks about going on to 5th grade and then something about the romances in her life. 5th grader....romances? ew.
It's basically a moe magical girl show before moe became a thing. Sakura herself is incredibly adorable and the characters do have a lot of heart. One of my favorite episodes is in Season 1 where Sakura is visiting her dad's job and one of the Clow Cards is running amok. She tries to capture it, but in the process breaks her dad's laptop containing a LOT of his research data. When her dad finds out, all Sakura can do is stand there on the verge of tears, waiting to be yelled at. It's such a powerful and heartbreaking scene (especially for a "filler" episode).

The show does have some stuff that is YMMV. There's not really any "bad guy" in the series and pretty much all the characters end up as friends by the end of the show.

As for the romance stuff, CLAMP went into the manga with the thought that love knows no boundaries. As a result, there are many characters (including Sakura herself) who fall in love with someone much older or younger than themselves. Most of these romances end up failing by the end of the show, though, as the characters find someone more appropriate to love. Also, Tomoyo, Sakura's cousin and best friend, is heavily into Sakura (the only way you could call it subtle is because Sakura and Li are THAT dense) and Tomoyo's mom dotes on Sakura a lot because she was in love with Sakura's mom. There's also two of Sakura's classmates that are engaged despite being 10 and another who has a crush on their teacher (he shoots her down in the anime). There's also Kero and Yue, magical beings who are in love with their creator Clow Reed and the Clow Cards themselves love their master and Sakura captures a number of them by convincing them she is worthy of their love.

I should emphasize that almost every romance or crush in this show is treated with respect. The "love" in this show is more of a "finding your soulmate/special one" variety than "finding a sex partner" variety (not that that stops Tomoyo from dressing Sakura up in skintight and/or revealing outfits whenever she can) There are several episodes in Season 3 which deal with Sakura and Li cutting off or being cut off from their other crushes or partners, with said characters becoming depressed or crying as a result. The only relationship that really gets played for comedy is the engaged 10-year-old couple, and that is mostly because one always tells really exaggerated stories that the other has to stop before the stories get out of control.

Personally, it's one of my favorite anime and in my Top 10. If you want a sample of the show, see if you can find the first movie for cheap. It doesn't require any knowledge of the show going in aside from the basic premise and is enjoyable. Just watch it subbed, though, as the dub replaces all the music and heavily alters the villain's reasoning for doing the stuff they do.

If you do pick up the series, track down Geneon's release of the second movie, which picks up after the series ends. It is also the only dub of the franchise worth considering.

Hopefully when the upcoming sequel comes stateside, whoever licenses it will use the LA voice cast.

bread's done
Back