Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that season 2 in general is bad, because of Suzaku's almost artificially induced descent into insanity. (granted I haven't finished season 2 yet)

Personally, I enjoyed Season 2 of Code Geass more than the first. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Season 3. 

Also eager for that Godzilla anime feature that's supposedly coming out this year. Though I'm sure the US won't be getting it until 2018, considering Funimation still hasn't released Shin Godzilla on bluray. 

I just watched all of Code Geass and I think the last several episodes were pretty bad. It's too bad too because season one was awesome. spoilers below

• Lelouch's mom is not actually dead, she's a living spirit omg!
  • she's in cahoots with the King. They actually wanted to keep Lelouch and Nunnaly safe! So they sent them away. What? Why?
  • suddenly Suzaku is siding with Lelouch?
  • suddenly Nunnaly is nuking everyone lol. why does she hate Lelouch for being Zero? why wasn't her eyesight back right after the King died? Nunnaly would never kill everyone like that. Did she previously know that she was royalty? How come she never mentioned her brothers and sisters until she was seized by them?
  • why is Lelouch forced to play the bad guy as the emperor? He could have made a better world while he ruled. Who cares if it's hard to join the United Federation.
  • the whole series is based on the premise that he wants to "give Nunnaly a better life", ok but now they fight and he imprisons her. He has to end it all because he used Geass on Nunnaly??
  • why can't Lelouch express his feelings towards Kallen? Why does he have to force a tragic ending making everyone important to him hate him? Why does Japan need further empowerment? He controls the biggest empire. Why does he imprison and stage execution for everyone that is important to him? His death is supposedly going to dismantle Britania and restart the world anew?
  • Why does the Britanian empire pour all of their resources into subjugating Japan? How do they control the rest of the world? Why is this special charter school inside/near Area 11?
  • Why does C2 no longer care about ending her life when that's why she made the contract? Why does C2 decide to kiss Lelouch on a couple different occasions when she has no feelings?
  • Why do the Black Knights turn on him, even though his royal identity is found out? He gave them everything.
  • How does Lelouch have a badass Japanese assassin for a maid? Why is she loyal to him?
  • and one of the biggest and dumbest ones: Royalty named Lelouch and Nunnaly were hiding under the noses of the Britanian empire the whole time under the names "Lelouch" and "Nunnaly" and nobody notices apparently because they used a different last name.
Make no mistake, I'm all for tragic and non-tradition endings to great stories. But I'm sorry, the last half of season 2 was just so bad. I'm sure I missed a couple small details in there answering parts of these questions but it is no doubt that S2 was a convoluted mess. Good show, it's also terribly overrated.
*Dats the power of Geass for you. The power of the Human Subconscious can do that for you. There is even a power that gives the wielder the ability to shapeshift.
*Got sent away because their other family members might target them due to their line of succession. Charles witnessed it himself and did not wish it to happen anymore. Lelouch and Nunnally were apparently the favored children of Charles, largely due to his favorite consort being Marianne. As such, that would make the two ideal targets for their siblings if Lelouch or Nunnally were named successor.
*Suzaku is siding with Lelouch because Lelouch promised he would die and atone for his sins, especially for accidentally getting Euphie killed and ruining her reputation. It also was intended to bring about a revolution that Suzaku originally wanted.
*Nunally sorta believed in Prince Schneizel's plan and wanted to make the Damocles a symbol of hatred and allow them to move forward in life after it is gone. It goes against Lelouch's plan since he wants Him to be the symbol, not the Damocles. Nunally said she hated Lelouch because he is not the brother she used to know.. Even though her eyesight returned, she still believes she is blind. Yes. Nunally was aware she was of Royal Blood. But she didn't care about it since she only wanted to live with Lelouch.
*Lelouch was forced to be the bad guy due to the current state of the world. A large amount of distrust would exist and there would still be conflict. Lelouch believed that if the world focused all their hatred on him, it would unify the world and bring about peace once it is gone since at that point, people would be tired of conflict and would want to focus on rebuilding and bringing about peace. Lelouch did join the United Federation. Then he screwed them over.
*Britannia really wanted to conquer Japan because the country had the largest deposits of Sakuradite in the World. Sakuradite is the fuel for Knightmare Frames among other things (their warships, weapons, etc). Britannia didn't conquer the rest of the world at that point. They barely managed to conquer the European Federation at S2 I think and the Chinese Federation was still hanging on. Britannia exerted control over their conquered territories by appointing a Grand Duke, as seen in Akito the Exiled. The Grand Duke basically served as a proxy Ruler who only answered to the Emperor. The School is in Area 11 through the efforts of the Ashford Foundation, a philanthropic organization involved predominantly in the supply of educational services.
*Lelouch loved Kallen and was aware of her extreme loyalty to him. She would go to the depths of hell if Lelouch commanded her to. He didn't want to see her die/go to her death. And it was for that exact reason, he made her choose between him and her sense of justice. Her sense of justice won.
*C2 only cared for herself. But as time passed on, she eventually warmed up to Lelouch. And once Lelouch told C2 that he cared for her and didn't blame for everything that happened, she regained her "Human" self as well as the will to live and move forward in life even though she is immortal.
*The Black Knights are stupid, especially Ohgi. Ohgi technically fucked everything up since beforehand, things were going the right direction until they forced Lelouch's hand to create the Zero Requem. If the Black Knights did not betray Lelouch, there would've been a more "happy" ending. The fact that the Black Knights took Cornelia's words, an enemy they had been fighting for 1 season and a half as truth immediately made them lose all credibility. Then they decided to shoot first and ask later, ruining any chance of Lelouch fixing things. Basically, The Black Knights turned on Lelouch because they thought he used Geass on them. Of course, part of this is Lelouch's fault since he didn't mention any of this to his Inner Circle as a heads up. They were also less inclined to trust him due to Lelouch abandoning them at the end of S1.
*Sayako is loyal to Lelouch because she served as the sibling's caretaker when they came to the Academy. Sayako's family is employed by the Ashford family and are loyal to them.
*Ashford Academy was owned by the Ashford Family, a Lesser Noble Family loyal and associated with Marianne. When they took Lelouch and Nunnally in, it wouldn't be hard think that the Family used their connections to hide the identities of Lelouch and Nunnally.

They changed it when they changed the site. I was in almost the exact situation. I ordered Sailor Moon Crystal Set 1 Limited and and S Part 1 Limited together (and a couple light novels), and they shipped them this past November, months after one of the sets came out.
Wow thanks was hoping I would be wrong about them doing that. Did you still get your GWP even though they shipped it so long after the one set was out?

What shipping did you choose? If you selected free shipping they'll tend to hold shipping items till there's a good amount or a lot of time has passed.
Yeah I picked free. I am so used to how all other sites I use work. You order and combine items to get free shipping and then they mail you them as they have them. Maybe I can call and get them to split up the order and just pay the 3.99 shipping.

Thanks Olengie for the point-by-point answer, saved me the trouble. It can be hard to follow all the nuances and motivations in S2, but I found that all your questions are answered sometimes directly in the show if you're paying attention to what the characters are saying and doing. I even picked up a few extra nuances this watch through, primarily because I was thinking about season 3, but
I didn't remember Lelouch's memories transferring to Nunally at the end nor C2 looking up/back when referring to Lelouch. I always figured he got sent to the world of C and that's where she was talking to him. Never thought he was the wagon driver! Kind of goes against his character to actually live on IMO. I guess that mystery will be solved in season 3.

Thanks Olengie for the point-by-point answer, saved me the trouble. It can be hard to follow all the nuances and motivations in S2, but I found that all your questions are answered sometimes directly in the show if you're paying attention to what the characters are saying and doing. I even picked up a few extra nuances this watch through, primarily because I was thinking about season 3, but
I didn't remember Lelouch's memories transferring to Nunally at the end nor C2 looking up/back when referring to Lelouch. I always figured he got sent to the world of C and that's where she was talking to him. Never thought he was the wagon driver! Kind of goes against his character to actually live on IMO. I guess that mystery will be solved in season 3.
im under the impression the memories werent transferred to Nunnally. It is possible she is an Empath. Or she just realized Lelouch's plan like Kallen did.

Lelouch couldve stolen Charles's code in all the commotion. There all sorts of theories in regards to this.

Wow thanks was hoping I would be wrong about them doing that. Did you still get your GWP even though they shipped it so long after the one set was out?
Yes, they sent the GWP still.

Thanks Olengie for the point-by-point answer, saved me the trouble. It can be hard to follow all the nuances and motivations in S2, but I found that all your questions are answered sometimes directly in the show if you're paying attention to what the characters are saying and doing.
Yea. It's been a decade since I watched it, so I don't remember a lot of it. But half those questions were straight up answered in the show. It wasn't even read between the lines. It was pretty blatant, iirc.

im under the impression the memories werent transferred to Nunnally. It is possible she is an Empath. Or she just realized Lelouch's plan like Kallen did.

Lelouch couldve stolen Charles's code in all the commotion. There all sorts of theories in regards to this.
She could be like Suzaku and picks up on these things, but I was under the impression that was something unique between Suzaku and C2 (because of the nature of C2). I don't think they would've done the whole super flashback thing if she didn't see/get all his memories. Kind of reminds me when Lelouch/Suzaku have a similar occurence with C2. This does then beg the question....is Lelouch now like C2? (which this scene may affirm in hindsight of season 3). I think it's more likely that C2 had both codes as Lelouch would've lost his Geass if he had taken it. The real question is whether Lelouch knew she was going to give him that code or if it was all part of the plan. All speculation of course, but kind of gets me excited for season 3. I don't really understand what the driving force will be in that season given where things seemed to end though.

Half of the questions I posed were rhetorical, meaning they were answered, but just barely in passing, and the answers in the show weren't sufficient enough to be acceptable or sensible.  Due to character identity, ambiguities in their motivations, them acting in ways that are not aligned with everything we know about them. 

Half of the answers are a reach at best. 

Zero Requiem is fine.  But the culmination of the story including the final battle sequences is very nonsensical.  Okay so the Black Knights just join up with the world dominators in the Britannian royalty,  their sworn enemies for the majority of the series.  The same people who destroyed their nation and decimated their lives, the entire existence for their motivations up until this point. 

The whole Nunnaly conclusion is a mess as well.   As if Schneizel's plan was to make the Damocles a symbol of hatred because he wanted to make the world better?  what?  They've destroyed countries and conquered the world.   And now Nunnaly's finger is on the trigger, continuing to destroy nations.  All she wants is a peaceful world therefore she blows it all up?  Sorry, can't buy any of that. 

Like I said, it's a convoluted mess.  The reasoning is very poorly implemented at times.  The writers are given far too much credit; I often see this show being referred to as one of the best written anime of all time.   I don't agree with that at all.  The best writing doesn't have this many inconsistencies and implausibilities; the majority of the characters also change their wartime allegiance at least once.

Don't get me wrong.  I enjoyed the show very much.  But the "Best-ever" praise it often receives is very hard to accept.  Season 1 was also infinitely stronger than R2. 

Half of the questions I posed were rhetorical, meaning they were answered, but just barely in passing, and the answers in the show weren't sufficient enough to be acceptable or sensible. Due to character identity, ambiguities in their motivations, them acting in ways that are not aligned with everything we know about them.

Half of the answers are a reach at best.

Zero Requiem is fine. But the culmination of the story including the final battle sequences is very nonsensical. Okay so the Black Knights just join up with the world dominators in the Britannian royalty, their sworn enemies for the majority of the series. The same people who destroyed their nation and decimated their lives, the entire existence for their motivations up until this point.

The whole Nunnaly conclusion is a mess as well. As if Schneizel's plan was to make the Damocles a symbol of hatred because he wanted to make the world better? what? They've destroyed countries and conquered the world. And now Nunnaly's finger is on the trigger, continuing to destroy nations. All she wants is a peaceful world therefore she blows it all up? Sorry, can't buy any of that.

Like I said, it's a convoluted mess. The reasoning is very poorly implemented at times. The writers are given far too much credit; I often see this show being referred to as one of the best written anime of all time. I don't agree with that at all. The best writing doesn't have this many inconsistencies and implausibilities; the majority of the characters also change their wartime allegiance at least once.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the show very much. But the "Best-ever" praise it often receives is very hard to accept. Season 1 was also infinitely stronger than R2.
I agree about the Black Knights part, I thought that was a stretch. Oghi did make a request though to make it worthwhile, so in some ways it's them being self-serving, but yeah I had your same issue with that as I did with Final Fantasy 15's story. If you watch Kingsglaive, there's the same nonsensical stuff going on similar to the BK. Still doesn't diminish the story for me, but to each their own. I wouldn't expect anything called "Best Ever" to apply to everyone.

I just watched all of Code Geass and I think the last several episodes were pretty bad. It's too bad too because season one was awesome. spoilers below

• Lelouch's mom is not actually dead, she's a living spirit omg!
  • she's in cahoots with the King. They actually wanted to keep Lelouch and Nunnaly safe! So they sent them away. What? Why?
  • suddenly Suzaku is siding with Lelouch?
  • suddenly Nunnaly is nuking everyone lol. why does she hate Lelouch for being Zero? why wasn't her eyesight back right after Charles died? Nunnaly would never kill everyone like that. Did she previously know that she was royalty? How come she never mentioned her brothers and sisters until she was seized by them?
  • why is Lelouch forced to play the bad guy as the emperor? He could have made a better world while he ruled. Who cares if it's hard to join the United Federation.
  • the whole series is based on the premise that he wants to "give Nunnaly a better life", ok but now they fight and he imprisons her. He has to end it all because he used Geass on Nunnaly??
  • why can't Lelouch express his feelings towards Kallen? Why does he have to force a tragic ending making everyone important to him hate him? Why does Japan need further empowerment? He controls the biggest empire. Why does he imprison and stage execution for everyone that is important to him? His death is supposedly going to dismantle Britania and restart the world anew?
  • Why does the Britanian empire pour all of their resources into subjugating Japan? How do they control the rest of the world? Why is this special charter school inside/near Area 11?
  • Why does C2 no longer care about ending her life when that's why she made the contract? Why does C2 decide to kiss Lelouch on a couple different occasions when she has no feelings?
  • Why do the Black Knights turn on him, even though his royal identity is found out? He gave them everything.
  • How does Lelouch have a badass Japanese assassin for a maid? Why is she loyal to him?
  • and one of the biggest and dumbest ones: Royalty named Lelouch and Nunnaly were hiding under the noses of the Britanian empire the whole time under the names "Lelouch" and "Nunnaly" and nobody notices apparently because they used a different last name.

Make no mistake, I'm all for tragic and non-traditional endings to great stories. But I'm sorry, the last half of season 2 was just so bad. I'm sure I missed a couple small details in there answering parts of these questions but it is no doubt that S2 was a convoluted mess. Good show, it's also quite overrated.
Honestly, I thought season 2 was pretty disappointing. The enjoyment somewhat comes from laughable moments rather than intentional. The plan feels very different from season 1 like it had another idea but never came through. I don't remember if it's true but I heard the staff changed for the season 2, so it may be that. I don't know. I thought overall, it was pretty enjoyable but it should have been more and season 1 left that notice that was forgotten...

I understand that but sometimes it's just a mere lable and they end up being region free I have never bought anything from that UK publishers so I am not sure if they legitimately region lock their discs.

I'd like to point out that the Gurren Lagann Anime Legends collection on ebay is still really cheap. Anyway, I know I'm just going to summon him by talking about him, but it seems the troll is gone.

As long as you stick to reputable sellers, there shouldn't be much issue, I'm thinking of buying one tonight, and I'll report back what happens. Also, most of you know whom I'm talking about.

I understand that but sometimes it's just a mere lable and they end up being region free I have never bought anything from that UK publishers so I am not sure if they legitimately region lock their discs.
I would assume that it is simply going to be a repackaging of their Collector's edition set, particularly since the disc art is identical. That set was region 2.

Come to think of it, I think there has only been maybe one or two sets that AtA released that were region-free. Those were in the early days of the company selling blu rays, and those sets were a mistake that was corrected on future printings.

Have you guys seen that Gundam bluray upgrade program from rightstuf? I have the gundam movie trilogy on dvd but it's a really shiny cardboard box that I don't really want to give up. And then there'd be the whole hassle of shipping it.

Actually now that I look, it may be for a different version of the movie trilogy on dvd.

Have you guys seen that Gundam bluray upgrade program from rightstuf? I have the gundam movie trilogy on dvd but it's a really shiny cardboard box that I don't really want to give up. And then there'd be the whole hassle of shipping it.

Actually now that I look, it may be for a different version of the movie trilogy on dvd.
I want to upgrade my Bandai version, but I don't think it will work as they specify the UPC in the fine print:

"The Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy Upgrade Program is only applicable to the Mobile Suit Gundam Movie Trilogy DVD (742617162220)."

It's about time for all those recent Funi releases from the last two years that no one is buying to get reduced to $20-25 each.  They're just now sniffing the ~$30 range. 

My personal highlights from the sale:

Lord Marksman and Vanadis $29.99

Certain Magical Index II $26.99

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis S1 $29.99

Date A Live II $29.99

Gonna Be the Twin Tail $29.99

and the GitS: Arise ones, but I think those have hit similar prices recently.

There's also a great deal on the Vision of Escaflowne and Code Geass blu-ray sets @Best Buy
Yep. Picked these up last night on a whim when I stopped by Best Buy. Had been meaning to acquire them eventually, I had just been waiting for a sufficient price-drop.

Don't suppose anyone doesn't plan to use their Stuf Bucks code? I thought I wouldn't use mine but I did, and u could use another if someone has it to spare.
Oh you can use more than one? I used mine but there's something else I wanted that I didn't notice until after my order shipped so now I gotta place another order. If anyone's not using their code, feel free to dump it here.

Can't seem to find a complete manga collection of TokyoPop's Battle Royale for a reasonable price. The first few hardcover books are ~$10 but the later issues are insane. Like the "Ultimate Edition Vol. 5" on Amazon is over $200. fuck that. Do they sell this in digital form? Would be nice to read it on my Tablet.

Some interesting stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts on The Rolling Girls?
Excellent action heavy/well directed/colorful first episode that fools you into thinking it might be good. Rest of the series is a boring unsatisfying slice of life mixed with declining production values and a bad story. Not worth it.

Can't seem to find a complete manga collection of TokyoPop's Battle Royale for a reasonable price. The first few hardcover books are ~$10 but the later issues are insane. Like the "Ultimate Edition Vol. 5" on Amazon is over $200. fuck that. Do they sell this in digital form? Would be nice to read it on my Tablet.
They're out of print, which is why the prices are like that. TokyoPop hasn't published much in North America for quite some time now. You'll need to wait for the possibility of the series being licensed by a different publisher domestically.

Some really good deals in this Funimation sale on Rightstuf. Shakugan no Shana is pretty cheap with each season clocking in just over $20. Around $60 for the full series is a great deal. Is Vexille any good? That one is el cheapo too.

Some really good deals in this Funimation sale on Rightstuf. Shakugan no Shana is pretty cheap with each season clocking in just over $20. Around $60 for the full series is a great deal. Is Vexille any good? That one is el cheapo too.
Agreed, the funi sale isnt bad. Steins;gate movie 22 bucks, sword of the stranger 18, boruto 24, etc (all with member discount but with the sale it isnt always the full 10%)

Definitely the cheapest I've seen Geass LE at $84. Last lowest I've seen it was around $96.

Not much I really want as the stuff I don't have is not eligible for the full 40% discount. Guess I'll just have to wait for their values to depreciate a little.

Just realized I would buy from rightstuf so much more often is the membership gave free shipping or at least a reduced bar for free shipping

How much of a pain was the disc trade-in for Code Geass?

At $75, I'm considering replacing my DVDs.  But I could also just as easily be content with them and use that money elsewhere.

Hunter X Hunter set 2 is cheap everywhere right now. I expect prices to go up in the future, and on future volumes.

$24.99 at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hunter-x-hunter-set-2-blu-ray/5708041.p?skuId=5708041

$22.49 at Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Hunter-Set-2-Blu-ray/dp/B01NCOKMUI?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-033-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01NCOKMUI&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$26.98 at Rightstuf (prob cheaper with Got Anime):  http://www.rightstufanime.com/Hunter-X-Hunter-Set-2-Blu-ray

My Got Anime sub just expired last month and I don't know if I'm going to renew it.  Def not until I buy something from RS. 

Hunter X Hunter set 2 is cheap everywhere right now. I expect prices to go up in the future, and on future volumes.

$24.99 at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hunter-x-hunter-set-2-blu-ray/5708041.p?skuId=5708041

$22.49 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-x-Hunter-Set-2-Blu-ray/dp/B01NCOKMUI?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-033-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01NCOKMUI&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$26.98 at Rightstuf (prob cheaper with Got Anime): http://www.rightstufanime.com/Hunter-X-Hunter-Set-2-Blu-ray

My Got Anime sub just expired last month and I don't know if I'm going to renew it. Def not until I buy something from RS.
But isn't the retail price $30. So it isn't going to go up by much... Could go lower because of the low SRP.

bread's done
Back