Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
Debating on ordering that Spice and Wolf collector's set from Amazon.ca...anyone have it and have an opinion on the quality?
Well it arrive and man is it a behemoth. It weighs in at about 7-8lbs and looks like a big ass leather bound bible. Mine was still damaged on the corners figures the faster shipping didn't help that but it was worth a try. I would say as long as you realize this isn't a manga its a lot of reading and if you really just want it go ahead even splurging on faster shipping will save you $100 over buying on amazon US

Pictures

goAoY8y.jpg

The book

JUyhsk5.jpg

compared to a Manga

RKbkQZO.jpg
Thickness

58EuhPC.jpg
An average page

YEsQ8es.jpg
The art work

gnQAQmS.jpg
Size comparison to the huge Nausica release

k0gxjF4.jpg
And those Spines

Debating on ordering that Spice and Wolf collector's set from Amazon.ca...anyone have it and have an opinion on the quality?
I haven't gotten mine yet but it should be pointed out that it will be terrible to read lol.

it is heavy, each page has multiple pages of the original release on it.

it should be bought as a sexy collectors item not a practical way to read the series :p

It also doesn't include Spring Log Part 1.  Part 2 just released in japan (which we will also eventually get) and we are getting the sequel series Wolf and Parchment this fall.  These books all match and look nice on a shelf.

I would just take advantage of the B+N yen press buy 2 get 1 deal and get the proper readable books.

It also doesn't include Spring Log Part 1. Part 2 just released in japan (which we will also eventually get) and we are getting the sequel series Wolf and Parchment this fall. These books all match and look nice on a shelf.

I would just take advantage of the B+N yen press buy 2 get 1 deal and get the proper readable books.
!!!!!!!!!!!! Why have I not heard of this?! The anime is coming this fall? Or the manga??? Holy fucking shit I'm hyped.

Curious: Did the anime cover the light novel or stopped at certain point?
Covers 1,2,3,5. Skips 4 (which is really good) So you start at 6 but I would recommend reading 4 first. There are 19 total with volume 18 (Spring Log) just released in the US that takes place 10 years after the series epilogue and helps set up Wolf and Parchment. Spring Log II (19) just came out in Japan and it will be a bit for it to come out in US. Wolf and Parchment is a sequel series that has two volumes released in Japan and gets the first in the US this year.

Covers 1,2,3,5. Skips 4 (which is really good) So you start at 6 but I would recommend reading 4 first. There are 19 total with volume 18 (Spring Log) just released in the US that takes place 10 years after the series epilogue and helps set up Wolf and Parchment. Spring Log II (19) just came out in Japan and it will be a bit for it to come out in US. Wolf and Parchment is a sequel series that has two volumes released in Japan and gets the first in the US this year.
Thanks for the reply.

I've got  my Jojo LE order placed at Rightstuf for $56 with my Got Anime membership. I would have to pay $3.00 tax through Amazon, so that would make it only 3 dollars less than from RS anyway. And, at least Rightstuf will pack it properly in a box so it doesn't get damaged, unlike Amazon and their worthless padded bags. I never buy LE box sets from Amazon, because their extremely poor packing methods pretty much guarantee it will arrive with at least a couple of crushed box corners.  No thanks. 

Oh, plus we get a bonus Gift With Pre-order (GWP) from Rightstuf as well: 

"Order from Right Stuf and receive an EXCLUSIVE JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE "word effects" deep purple cotton bandanna as a free gift while supplies last!"

I got mine in at amazon for $50

Oh, plus we get a bonus Gift With Pre-order (GWP) from Rightstuf as well:

"Order from Right Stuf and receive an EXCLUSIVE JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE "word effects" deep purple cotton bandanna as a free gift while supplies last!"
this thing sounds pretty cringe worthy

That's a really good deal on Hunter X Hunter. But I'm a little leary of the release schedule for the series. Do they have firm plans on releasing the whole thing? It's a fairly long series, I don't want to pick up the first two volumes and then never have any of the rest of the series come out.

That's a really good deal on Hunter X Hunter. But I'm a little leary of the release schedule for the series. Do they have firm plans on releasing the whole thing? It's a fairly long series, I don't want to pick up the first two volumes and then never have any of the rest of the series come out.
part 3 already has a date and in general I can't imagine they won't release it all given it's airing on TV with decent ratings.

part 3 already has a date and in general I can't imagine they won't release it all given it's airing on TV with decent ratings.
Well, apparently it's being published by Warner Bros, which is not generally known for anime releases. Though it is a bit encouraging that the third volume has been dated. I just don't want to get caught in a situation where I'm halfway through collecting the series and they cut off the releases. Some studios don't place as much emphasis on completing a series run, which is incredibly frustrating for a collector like myself.

I collected all of the Archer volumes on Blu-Ray, only to find out that there are no plans for the Blu-Ray of the most recent season. And it's not even the last season of the show. I collected all of the Adventure Time Blu-Rays, and now the latest season of that is getting a DVD, with no announcement for Blu-Ray as well. It puts my teeth on edge. I'm a completionist, and collecting some of these series can take years. (just from how long they are) With more established publishers, you don't feel nearly as much risk. Funimation has been doing this crap for so long that I can be reasonably confident that they will always finish a release run.

HxH is being released by Viz. All Viz physical discs have been distributed by WB for a while now. And like I pointed out earlier, set 3 is possibly going to have 24 episodes, so if it is true it would explain why it took twice as long to come out. They can't really release it any faster than it's airing on Toonami.

HxH is being released by Viz. All Viz physical discs have been distributed by WB for a while now. And like I pointed out earlier, set 3 is possibly going to have 24 episodes, so if it is true it would explain why it took twice as long to come out. They can't really release it any faster than it's airing on Toonami.
Hopefully Viz learned people didn't want to spend $30+ on 13 episodes for a series with 148 episodes.

That is good to know. And VIZ is considerably more confidence-inspiring. They managed to release all of Inuyasha, after all. (though that final season did take them a while) Having them behind the Hunter X Hunter sets does make me feel a bit better. I went ahead and put in an order for these two sets. They only go through episode 26 combined, but the price is still fair.

That is good to know. And VIZ is considerably more confidence-inspiring. They managed to release all of Inuyasha, after all. (though that final season did take them a while) Having them behind the Hunter X Hunter sets does make me feel a bit better. I went ahead and put in an order for these two sets. They only go through episode 26 combined, but the price is still fair.
Still waiting on that naoki urasawas monster from viz, they dubbed the entire series and released part 1 in 2009 and still waiting on the remainder of the series, well hopefully their license expired and someone else releases it in a complete set.

So even VIZ doesn't have the greatest track record.

Still waiting on that naoki urasawas monster from viz, they dubbed the entire series and released part 1 in 2009 and still waiting on the remainder of the series, well hopefully their license expired and someone else releases it in a complete set.

So even VIZ doesn't have the greatest track record.
I was going to mention Monster as well. I had that set but decided to sell it recently. They'll never release the rest. Remember when Sentai released Gintama? lol

I have been looking into anime streaming a lot lately because some of the simulcasts for this season looked pretty good. 

Unfortunately Amazon licensed a lot of them and they are behind a double pay wall. 

If you haven't heard anime network streaming is closing down and HIDIVE is taking their place. 

HIDIVE has a long way to go but is priced pretty good for now, it does claim to be limited time, I don't know if BETA users will be grandfathered in or if they will get the price increase as well. The assumption is once HIDIVE actually launches it will be $6.95 a month this would be priced comparable to FUNI and Crunchy but until they have a larger library the price needs to remain at $3.99 

They seem to be run by Sentaifilmworks and have a decent amount of subbed and dubbed shows some even on the newer side of sentais dubbed releases 

• Unfortunately their HD is limited to 720p (Im assuming this will change when they launch but only time will tell) 
  • They have no app at the moment (they are working on one but it really sucks not being able to cast or play on my roku) 
  • Up to 2 additional Simultaneous steams can be added for $1 each/month (unlike crunchy and funi who basically say its just for you and ur family they are being honest about opening it up to your group and not conveluting whether its allowed or not so I find this to be a plus too.)
  • International viewers get pretty much all the ANIME STRIKE licensed sentai material. (This is a big plus for those of you outside of the us, the service isn't behind the double pay wall and you can actually watch it as for us in the US we get screwed thanks to amazon.)
  • Their design is very reminiscent of netflix and they allow up to 3 profiles (for those 3 simultaneous streamer) 
I say if you really want another source of anime to stream its a good deal to try out and they have a not so impressive 7 day trial. 

I can't wait till they get an app it will go good with my other streaming service. 

Had HiDive since launch day. Well worth it, since my LE of GATE hasn't come yet and been delayed then I have been watching the dub on there. Like the fact that they stream some of their newer dub releases. Well worth $3.99. It'll probably go up but I'm willing to pay.

I don't remember if it was mentioned but Rightstuf is having their 30th birthday sale. I don't see any standouts yet but probably worth a look.

Well I know you can get entire set for Berserk manga in what seems to be a large saving. I am debating as I have no volumes. When I did math, I believe I got around $238, give or take. Is this good?

Well I know you can get entire set for Berserk manga in what seems to be a large saving. I am debating as I have no volumes. When I did math, I believe I got around $238, give or take. Is this good?
It averages out to $6.26/book which is more or less 50% off. I paid less for mine, but I bough most of them 6 years ago when Borders closed. I wouldn't expect to be able to get them for the same price now.

Berserk isn't the kind of series you find for $2 apiece at used bookstores.

It averages out to $6.26/book which is more or less 50% off. I paid less for mine, but I bough most of them 6 years ago when Borders closed. I wouldn't expect to be able to get them for the same price now.

Berserk isn't the kind of series you find for $2 apiece at used bookstores.
Thank you. I remember Borders. Good times...

Rightstuf found my weakness and has a Dragonball [manga] sale.  Easily spent $50 and got a free blind box in the process with a coupon they sent me months ago.

As long as they don't discount the Blu Rays or add Case Closed manga next, my wallet should be ready for the Christmas sale.

Rightstuf found my weakness and has a Dragonball [manga] sale. Easily spent $50 and got a free blind box in the process with a coupon they sent me months ago.

As long as they don't discount the Blu Rays or add Case Closed manga next, my wallet should be ready for the Christmas sale.
I'm still new to omnibus style of manga. I was wondering if it's best to go for single volumes or omnibus. I know it's a matter of preference but I am curious of their perk(s).

Anyone know what's on the audio cd in the umaru chan premium box set? If it's nothing interesting I'll be alright getting the standard blu, but I kind of want to know.

I haven't been paying much attention here; has there been any discussion of Rightstuf's 30th anniversary sale? It looks pretty decent.

Every year about this time I go to a convention, and I always buy a few anime during that time. But this being a month-long sale like in December I can wait.

bread's done
Back