Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little more research, and the UK release was confirmed to be based on the French one. It doesn't have that audio switching part and it has the correct subtitles for the Japanese track. Before this standard edition there was a Zavvi exclusive set for 100 GBP, and they mentioned that the standard edition will also correct some chapter stop issues from those previous discs as well.

It sounds like it will be the set I was looking for.
good to know

did you find out anything about the english audio and subtitles issues?

It's hard to be 100% sure because reviews on foreign products are hard to come by sometimes. Everything I've read though has indicated that it should have none of the audio/subtitle problems that the US set has. It should be good on both the English and Japanese Audio tracks.

It's hard to be 100% sure because reviews on foreign products are hard to come by sometimes. Everything I've read though has indicated that it should have none of the audio/subtitle problems that the US set has. It should be good on both the English and Japanese Audio tracks.
fair enough.

thanks for the info again. looks like it should be a good release then. I will certainly have to keep an eye on it as I do love me some ghost in the shell. one of my favorite shows of all time. I just rewatched it for the first time in a long while and it holds up quite well.

Anyone else not able to get to rightstuf's site? I heard that they got Hitman Reborn and wanted to pre-order. Maybe that broke their site? Shrug.

Edit: Looks like they are aware....hopefully fixed today.

This is one of those series that I would wait for a sale/splurge for the collector's edition. The movie sucks btw.
The movie is a surreal and occasionally challenging experience, to be sure, but it definitely doesn't suck. While I certainly appreciate the TV series far more, I find new things to enjoy about the movie every time I watch it. Plus, it's drop-dead gorgeous.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know If Manga UK's release of GitS SAC on Blu-ray is region free? I know that their previous GitS releases have been, but I was just curious. It's an important release given how terrible the US release is. 

Does anyone know If Manga UK's release of GitS SAC on Blu-ray is region free? I know that their previous GitS releases have been, but I was just curious. It's an important release given how terrible the US release is.
Region B per Manga Entertainment Twitter on April 3.

Since that's from their Twitter, it's safe to say that it won't be region free. Things like Eureka (Germany), Warehouse 13(UK), and others are sometimes listed as B when they're actually playable in all regions.

I always play it safe and assume a release is only for its native region until I can prove otherwise myself.

Got my copy of GitS:SAC in the mail today. I can confirm that it is region B encoded. I can also confirm that the subtitle track is not just a closed captioning of the English audio. The subtitles are not the same as the old DVD ones, but I can't say whether one is better than the other.
DVD
[attachment=30690:SmartSelect_20180808-180951_Gallery.jpg]
UK BD
[attachment=30691:SmartSelect_20180808-181108_Gallery.jpg]

Got my copy of GitS:SAC in the mail today. I can confirm that it is region B encoded. I can also confirm that the subtitle track is not just a closed captioning of the English audio. The subtitles are not the same as the old DVD ones, but I can't say whether one is better than the other.
DVD
attachicon.gif
SmartSelect_20180808-180951_Gallery.jpg
UK BD
attachicon.gif
SmartSelect_20180808-181108_Gallery.jpg
interesting that its not the same sub title track, but it's not just a copy of the english audio.

I know its been discussed before but i still wish english audio got the option to have either its own track or the japanese translation

anyway, thanks for the update.

So I've been going through recently and consolidating my anime because I'm starting to run out of space. That means that some of my nicer, cooler, larger releases, need to be paired down to a smaller form. As such, I've got a few cool finds available that I wanted to offer to you guys first. Just PM if you're interested. 

-Gundam Origin 1-5 Blu-ray (1-4 are mint, and I mean mint, and 5 is sealed)

-Hellsing Complete Series DVD (the original big-box Geneon release!)

-Freedom OVA Blu-ray brand new (the original large, boxed release).

-Sword Art Online Parts 1-4 Complete Series UK Region B (all still sealed / region locked)

-Sword Art Online II Parts 1-4 Limited Edition Complete Series UK Region B (all still sealed / region locked)

This is one of those series that I would wait for a sale/splurge for the collector's edition. The movie sucks btw.
Yeah, wasn't a fan of the movie. I didn't particularly love the show, either, but it definitely has its moments.

I like the yellow subtitles better, much easier to see. The translation seems fine on both, though. Honestly, by now, there should be an option on blurays to change the subtitle size and color as the user wishes.

Honestly, by now, there should be an option on blurays to change the subtitle size and color as the user wishes.
On blu-rays and dvds the subtitles aren't stored as text data, but as a collection of image data. It's done this way in order to insure consistent display across different devices and televisions. Because of this, it is not possible to change up the subtitle size, color, or styling. The subtitle tracks are static, and can't be manipulated in that fashion.

Now, it is actually possible to include a text-based subtitle track. But since dynamic subtitle display isn't really a thing for most stand-alone Blu-ray players, most companies don't bother, and only use the image-based tracks. You'd think some companies would have started supporting this kind of feature, as text subtitle tracks would be negligible in size, and add plenty of value for dynamic display in supported devices. I guess they just don't feel like putting in the extra effort or expense.

Since Ebay had a 15% off code when you bought $50+ worth of stuff, I decided to use it on a couple of things.

Part 1 arrived today:

5140N5MTJPL._SY445_.jpg

Exactly what I was going to say. Bad timing. Happened to me earlier with Patlabor. Selling it right now btw on ebay, in link in sig
I just spotted the news about that upcoming Patlabor set, which includes everything from the original OVAs, to the movies, TV eps, New Files, etc. Strange that they're re-releasing that since all previous Patlabor releases are still extremely easy to find (and inexpensive to boot). Even the collector's edition movies with the books can still be bought new for around $15 on Amazon (making the individual DVDs' resale value pretty much worthless).

Love Sentai's Maiden Japan label, but kinda disappointed we're getting more Patlabor instead of a series/OVA that's currently out-of-print, like Dominion Tank Police or Black Magic M66.

I just spotted the news about that upcoming Patlabor set, which includes everything from the original OVAs, to the movies, TV eps, New Files, etc. Strange that they're re-releasing that since all previous Patlabor releases are still extremely easy to find (and inexpensive to boot). Even the collector's edition movies with the books can still be bought new for around $15 on Amazon (making the individual DVDs' resale value pretty much worthless).

Love Sentai's Maiden Japan label, but kinda disappointed we're getting more Patlabor instead of a series/OVA that's currently out-of-print, like Dominion Tank Police or Black Magic M66.
Speaking of out of print stuff...I hope one day Sentai or Funimation gets ROD The TV from Aniplex. Got these DVDs stacked up like a damn caveman. Missed the overpriced Aniplex blu release.

It’s my white whale.

Speaking of out of print stuff...I hope one day Sentai or Funimation gets ROD The TV from Aniplex. Got these DVDs stacked up like a damn caveman. Missed the overpriced Aniplex blu release.

It’s my white whale.
I just found the DVD set at Disc replay with the "Rare" Disc 3 that I refused to pay over 50 bucks for. Now I've got sell the 6 singles.

Well then I plan on getting the Blu Ray of Perfect Blue as well, along with Discotek's Blu Ray of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. 

Part 2 of my Ebay haul:

millennium-actress-movie-still-poster_1727017-305x400.jpeg

But it looks like you saw my point. I was going to ask for recommendations for Out of Print DVD's if Ebay does this promotion again. In the meantime, I'll be crossing my fingers for a licence rescue to Paranoia Agent.

P.S. I've never heard of Patlabor. 

Basically, it's moderately sized robots + Japanese police. The series envisions a future where mid-sized robots have become commonly used in various industries, especially construction, and a special unit of the police is created to handle crimes being committed using those robots. It's a very good series, and one that I'm very fond of personally. It has more of a slice-of-life feel to it, commonly following the personal lives of the members of the police squadron as opposed to focusing too heavily on action. The upcoming boxset looks to be a good value, especially considering how much is getting put into it.

Also, G Gundam is coming in December!

Well then I plan on getting the Blu Ray of Perfect Blue as well, along with Discotek's Blu Ray of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

Part 2 of my Ebay haul:

millennium-actress-movie-still-poster_1727017-305x400.jpeg

But it looks like you saw my point. I was going to ask for recommendations for Out of Print DVD's if Ebay does this promotion again. In the meantime, I'll be crossing my fingers for a licence rescue to Paranoia Agent.

ebay had a promotion?

guess I missed out oh well lol

Paranoia agent is out of print? didn't know that. I got it years ago because that show rocks lol.

The state of licenses / releases for Satoshi Kon's work is very unfortunate. I've got a nice DVD set for Paranoia Agent and a blu-ray for Perfect Blue from the UK, but that's only an option because I bought into a region free blu-ray player. Even with importing, I don't believe there has been a blu-ray release of Millennium Actress in PAL regions. I did just recently see one for Tokyo Godfathers, but that's Australia only--which is fine as that's region B like the UK--which is weird that it only exists there.

Like, this guy has put out some amazing work. It really is a shame that a North American publishers can't grab these and release them for us.

Uh if you want anything from the Funi sale, I suggest you buy it cause it's not gonna get any cheaper honestly. All the stuff they have for sale that's 26.xx was 31.xx during rightstufs recent sale. Funi also has $5 flat shipping on a single item and free shipping on over $100 I think.

If I had waited I could've saved $10 by ordering from Funi instead of Rightstuf lol.

Paid $135 total for:                             from rightstuf

Outlaw star CE 39.99

Dimension W LE 30.99

Tokyo Ravens complete series 32.95

Space dandy complete series 31.99

bread's done
Back