Anime & Manga Steals and Deals (Rightstuf, Amazon, DD...etc)

3GSid

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
 Anime Steals and Deals

**It is highly recommended you check the latest posts in this thread as they will often have the most up to date deals. I will attempt to reflect these sales in the OP, but always check the latest posts.**

Rightstuf

Rightstuf runs studio sales every week, sometimes even twice a week. These range from anime, manga, and even artbooks. Prices are decent, and Rightstuf has amazing customer service. I highly recommend them for that alone.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/

You can save an additional 10% off a majority of their items (Including preorders) by buying their Got Anime membership

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=gotanime1

Amazon 

Amazon tends to offer lower everyday prices on their anime, and often run sales on Funimation items routinely. Keep track on your favorites or check your daily deal's for a possible 5% off of some based off your history on Amazon. 

(Also, I'd also recommend to check out Amazon's top 100 deals in Anime Bluray/DVD as they tend to show what's popular, or what is on sale.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959127011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last   (Blu Ray)

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movies-TV-Anime/zgbs/movies-tv/2959100011/ref=zg_bs_nav_mov_2_2958934011 (DVD)

DVDPlanet / Deep Discount

Known by many for their bad customer service, they often make up for it with their lower prices on a lot of their items. This and they routinely run sales specifically for anime. 

http://www.dvdplanet.com/Pages/Search/Category.aspx?ec=42000

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm

I highly suggest when you order from them to only order in stock items, and not ones that are backordered. Save yourself the displeasure of having to deal with the headaches. And patience is a must with these sites.

Cheapassgamer

Maybe you will find something here on our own forums! We have a thread dedicated specifically to Anime and Manga for sale from fellow Cags.

www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/306304-anime-blu-raydvd-buy-sell-or-trade-thread/

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually liked IBO quite a bit. It felt completely different from a standard Gundam series, and that's a good thing when the series has been around for as long as it has. A lot of their dialog, interactions, and decisions are rather awkward or strange. But, with IBO, that doesn't seem to be a case of bad writing. When you look at the age, background, experiences, etc of the main cast, it actually makes a lot of sense and increases the consistency and believe-ability of the world and characters. It would be rather bizarre for them to behave in a more refined way. It also really didn't hold back with the body count--some deaths hit really hard. And I love that there was no actual good vs evil. There were people that you sympathized with more than others, but neither side was really the traditional 'bad guy', which was also really refreshing. 

All that said, the dub left something to be desired--more so than I would expect for a modern Funi dub. Orga's overacting was really over the top. 

I started Unicorn since it became available on Netflix, but hate the MC so only halfway done even though I really wanted to like it.
I enjoyed Unicorn, but completely agree about the MC. Every other character was interesting but him.

Recently re-watched Gundam 00 and really enjoyed it, especially the first season.

So if I didn't like Wing because the main character was way too edgy, is there another Gundam worth trying or are most of them like that?
Well, angst and edge are two different things. Angst usually implies a certain degree of whining, and quite a bit of emotional turmoil. Edginess is more about stoic bad-ass characters who get their hands dirty. Edgy characters usually downplay emotional involvement as much as possible.

And it is true that Wing's primary protagonist was quite "edgy." But you shouldn't have too much to worry about, as the average Gundam protagonist usually leans much more heavily toward angst as opposed to edge. Given your tastes, you might want to avoid the Gundam 00 series. That series protagonist has a lot in common with Wing's, and definitely trends toward edginess. Seed is probably fine for you, very little edginess in that one, almost entirely angst. And the original Universal Century run should probably be no problem for you either. The edgiest characters in those tend to be the antagonists, not the protagonists. And they usually don't lean on those characters too heavily. G-Gundam might be your thing, as that is a colorful combination of angst and cheesiness, but only pays lip service to edginess.

I haven't seen Iron-Blooded Orphans yet, but from what I've heard you might want to give it a pass, as it's level of edge is likely quite high. I would recommend the Build Fighters series though. That one is actually quite light-hearted, and much more focused on positivity and enthusiasm.

I would recommend the Build Fighters series though. That one is actually quite light-hearted, and much more focused on positivity and enthusiasm.
I was just about to come in here and ask if I was the only who has watched Build Fighters. I'd agree with everything you said and then tack on the fact that it's so fan service heavy as well. It's really the perfect series that gives them an excuse to just throw in Gundam from any era, or even a refresh of them. The second season also has a connection to G Gundam that I was pleasantly surprised with.

So if I didn't like Wing because the main character was way too edgy, is there another Gundam worth trying or are most of them like that?
I didn't like Wing either. What I didn't like was the poor story mostly It makes little sense. I liked the artwork but that's it. A really overrated show.

I enjoyed Unicorn, but completely agree about the MC. Every other character was interesting but him.

Recently re-watched Gundam 00 and really enjoyed it, especially the first season.
00 is a really solid show. I never got around to watching the movie, but since i rebought the series on BD, I'm going to rewatch the series and the movie. From what I've seen (both two seasons) it's great.

I was just about to come in here and ask if I was the only who has watched Build Fighters. I'd agree with everything you said and then tack on the fact that it's so fan service heavy as well. It's really the perfect series that gives them an excuse to just throw in Gundam from any era, or even a refresh of them. The second season also has a connection to G Gundam that I was pleasantly surprised with.
I was looking up the different Gundam timelines and seeing which one are "canon". Basically, most of them are canon, because Turn A merges all of them, and then recongusta G takes place 500 years after Turn A. I think one of the series that aren't canon are the Build series. The creators have kind of said so themselves. I'll check it out still.

Stardust Memory or War in the Pocket. I think that if you don't like those, and don't like Wing, you'd be hard pressed to find a Gundam series you'd like.

You could always have good taste and watch Build Fighters for the mom.

62AklOd.jpg

Won't speak for edginess of MCs, but heard good things about Thunderbolt, really liked Char's Counterattack, and Turn A is solid IMO.

Anyone else gotten the K-ON set from sentai? First one had a big spot that wasn't glued down and a bunch of dents and scratches. Second one they sent me is covered in what looks like snot and I literally can't get anything out of it due to it being packed so tight. On top of that, one of the inner cases is ripped. :/

Won't speak for edginess of MCs, but heard good things about Thunderbolt, really liked Char's Counterattack, and Turn A is solid IMO.
The first Thunderbolt film is brilliant. It's absolutely gorgeous--even more so with the 4k release. The music is fantastic, story is impactful, fights are well done. It's just about the best single piece of media the Gundam series has ever put out.

Anyone else gotten the K-ON set from sentai? First one had a big spot that wasn't glued down and a bunch of dents and scratches. Second one they sent me is covered in what looks like snot and I literally can't get anything out of it due to it being packed so tight. On top of that, one of the inner cases is ripped. :/
That is some truly god awful quality control. Yikes.

Char's Counterattack and Thunderbolt are great. Origin is good too.

I'll take a Gundam series where a character is considered "edgy" over a whiny MC, like in Zeta Gundam. Edgy is a weak term anyway since, like in Wing, there's a reason for the MC to act that way.

That's not been my experience. Have ordered plenty from Sentai (just recently too) and I've never had any issues with them. Great service and fast response.

Hope they resolve that for you.

Sentai has pre-order up for Hidamari Sketch Picture Perfect Collection: https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/products/hidamari-sketch-picture-perfect-collection-blu-ray
Nice price compared to buying them separate (though I got them all for $36 during last bf). Still annoyed they never got the rights to the final two episodes, the graduation arc.
Better than Having the rights to it and never adding a way to buy it like the extra Episode of Majestic Prince and the movie. ( i actually can't remember if they have the movie licensed but they have the 25th episode but only 24 on the blu rays) hoping for a Movie + 1 ova combo blu ray but the movie is a couple years old now and no sign of anything.

I didn't really like Wing either, never understood the hype around it. I watched it as a kid when it aired right after Escaflowne, and never understood what was going on (Escaflowne was hella better). Great opening tho.

I liked the 08th MS Team, Origin, and UC Unicorn. You should try one of those.

I would stick with the version you have now outside of the shiny steel book there's nothing new that they include with it to make it stand out, and 50 bucks is a bit extreme for re-release just the cash in on the package, My guess is it'll drop down about $20 to $30 closer to the holidays.

Anyone here getting the big 0 steelbook ? I’m wondering if I should keep my order or wait to see if it will drop in price
I got it from Target.com for about $40 when they had 20% off going on. It should show up tomorrow.

They keep pushing that it has limited quantities, but who knows.

I only have the old DVD sets. Shame the intro music had to be changed due to licensing issues.

It's news to me (which doesn't necessarily mean it's actually news) but I just found out they're finally releasing War in The Pocket on blu ray this October.

I was always annoyed it was only on dvd before.

Received my copy of Neon Genesis Evangelion: TV Animation Production Art Collection. The hardcover is nice and very necessary since the pages are so thin. As these are sketches and drafts, there is a lot of Japanese text on each page. Udon, thankfully, included English translations in the corners. I never picked up any of the Groundwork of Evangelion volumes, so it's nice to have a collection like this to go along with my Eva illustration books.

For anyone that's purchased the first part of Darling in the Franxx, is the print of the slip-cover and actual cover of your copy kinda bad? I bought a copy off of eBay from what looked like a reputable store and just got it delivered a little bit ago. The print looks bad, which at first made me think that I got a bootleg, but when I zoom in on the picture of the cover on Amazon’s listing ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRFKWXF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EBzyDbCVF67JY - don’t know how to properly hyperlink it on phone), that pic’s cover actually looks about as low res as mine does. Though on the other hand it looks like that particular listing isn’t the North American version. The pics from Walmart and Rightstuff are definitely too low res to tell anything from them, Funimation’s pics are better but still not good enough to tell when zoomed in, and Best Buy has placeholder images up instead.

For anyone that's purchased the first part of Darling in the Franxx, is the print of the slip-cover and actual cover of your copy kinda bad? I bought a copy off of eBay from what looked like a reputable store and just got it delivered a little bit ago. The print looks bad, which at first made me think that I got a bootleg, but when I zoom in on the picture of the cover on Amazon’s listing ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NRFKWXF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EBzyDbCVF67JY - don’t know how to properly hyperlink it on phone), that pic’s cover actually looks about as low res as mine does. Though on the other hand it looks like that particular listing isn’t the North American version. The pics from Walmart and Rightstuff are definitely too low res to tell anything from them, Funimation’s pics are better but still not good enough to tell when zoomed in, and Best Buy has placeholder images up instead.
Blu ray bootlegs at least the ones I've encountered all show up as BDRs on my blu ray player and have black bottoms. DVDs if you have a computer drive check the region with a piece of software called "Ifoedit" http://www.ifoedit.com/ it's helped me in the pat (ran into a Darker than Black season 1 DVD bootleg last year).

The only bootleg slip cover I've seen looked faded for what it's worth.

Mine was purchased from Wal-Mart and Zero Two is definitely blurry and doesn't look very good up close.

I have that release, and mine looks that way, too. I think that Funi used a low-res image. It looks pretty amateur.

Trying to get a copy of the Star Blazers: 2199 Limited Edition set off Funimation but of course, it's discounted but the Add to Cart button isn't there. Guessing this is out of stock? :(

Looking through Sentai's Monster Sale, the BRs I've been tracking have been cheaper before (many by 50%). New lows for Hakumei & Mikochi and Girls' Last Tour at $16.99 ea, and Amagi Brilliant Park for $14.99. I will continue to holdout for BF.

Ideon for 16.99 is the main thing i see that i want. going to hope its that price or less on BF though since nothing else stands out to me atm

bread's done
Back