Anime Suggestions Wanted!

Aegith

CAGiversary!
Feedback
158 (99%)
Hello. Hoping for some well thought suggestions on some anime you think I may like. Heavily slanted towards the fantasy genre. Incomplete list, what comes to mind as I type this.

Favorites:
  • Vandread
  • Escaflowne
  • Inuyasha
  • Record of Lodoss War
Seen a few times on TV, looked interesting:
  • Trigun
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Samurai Deeper Kyo
Dislike:
  • Naruto
  • Cowboy Bebop (Terrible)

It's because Cowboy Bebop is the best anime ever made. If you didn't like it then we don't have much else to say to you.

Also let me recommend Claymore if you're into fantasy. I haven't had the chance to see it but I've heard some good things. The guys in that other thread would be able to recommend more.

Claymore, Berserk, Ninja Scroll, Blue Seed, 12 Kingdoms, and Outlaw Star.

Claymore= Violence with demons and half demon women.
Berserk= Violence with armies and a few demons towards the end.
Ninja Scroll= Violence with Ninjas
Blue Seed= Very similar to Inuyasha
12 Kingdoms= Girl gets taken into new world to rule or something. Some people are unicorns.
Outlaw Star= Excellent action based space show.

Kirin is an "anime snob" and will only recommend boring stuff 9/10 times. Liquid is his lackey. ;)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Kirin is an "anime snob" and will only recommend boring stuff 9/10 times. Liquid is his lackey. ;)[/QUOTE]
Nigga please. Kirin is my lackey. ;)

We just both happen to have good taste.

Also, Outlaw Star is super overrated and Claymore is, judging from the manga, another typical shonen jump-esque anime, but shorter.

[quote name='Aegith']Thanks crystal. That has to be the most beneficial reply I've ever had. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

lulz@emo

[quote name='Liquid 2']Nigga please. Kirin is my lackey. ;)[/QUOTE]
I play second-fiddle to no man!

But yes, we are both quite amazing and intelligent.

... And handsome.

[quote name='Aegith']Thanks crystal. That has to be the most beneficial reply I've ever had. Thanks again![/QUOTE]
Careful - friends don't let friends watch Ninja Scroll and Blue Seed.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I play second-fiddle to no man!

But yes, we are both quite amazing and intelligent.

... And handsome.[/QUOTE]
Truth. :cool:

[quote name='Aegith']My thread has been hijacked by idiots. :applause:[/QUOTE]

baby-crying.jpg

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
Careful - friends don't let friends watch Ninja Scroll.[/QUOTE]
Thats what I don't get, how can you hate on these classic shows? (Fist of the North Star included!) Thats the perfect kind of campy awesome. Its like old martial arts films.

Fist of the North Star looks freakin' hilarious in its over-the-top-ness, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get my hands on it and watch it.
One of these days, maybe.

[quote name='Aegith']My thread has been hijacked by idiots. :applause:[/QUOTE]
I already told you where your question belongs.
It was inevitable that this thread would become another OTT.

Also, you'll have to forgive Moxio, as that's an imposter posting.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Thats what I don't get, how can you hate on these classic shows? (Fist of the North Star included!) Thats the perfect kind of campy awesome. Its like old martial arts films.[/QUOTE]
But I don't like campy anime - I like good anime. If I'm going to watch something crappy, I'd better be good and drunk with a bunch of friends around so we can all rip it apart. Ninja Scroll and Fist of the North Star have both gotten roasted by us in the past - so awful!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But I don't like campy anime - I like good anime. If I'm going to watch something crappy, I'd better be good and drunk with a bunch of friends around so we can all rip it apart. Ninja Scroll and Fist of the North Star have both gotten roasted by us in the past - so awful![/quote]

You know... You can take your condescending and elitist attidude elsewhere. Everyone has different tastes, and I don't think I care what your opinions are. You like Cowboy Bebop.

[quote name='Aegith']Any opinions on Scrapped Princess?[/QUOTE]Worst. Pacing. Ever.

Not horrible though, if you can stand that.

Also, watch Monster like Kirin said.

One of the few animes out there that sticks to the manga like glue, which sets it miles above most other anime from the get go.

[quote name='Zen Davis']One Piece
Hunter X Hunter
Hajime No Ippo
Hikaru No Go
Full Metal Alchemist
Gantz
Monster[/QUOTE]1/7. Unless you're talking about the FMA manga, and not the garbage anime. In that case, 2/7.

[quote name='Liquid 2']1/7. Unless you're talking about the FMA manga, and not the garbage anime. In that case, 2/7.[/quote]
What's the 1? :) It's Monster isn't it? Anyway, I don't really have as high a standard as you do. I just like to enjoy myself so I don't mind if I like something you consider garbage. Besides I think One Piece is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and Hunter X Hunter is utterly amazing from an adventure storyline perspective.

[quote name='Liquid 2']1/7. Unless you're talking about the FMA manga, and not the garbage anime. In that case, 2/7.[/QUOTE]
Please don't make me fight you on Hajime no Ippo. :cry:

Though Gantz is *just awful*.

One Piece- Pirates and gay.
Hunter X Hunter- No comment.
Hajime No Ippo- Boxing and yawn.
Hikaru No Go- Some crazy board game and yawn.
Full Metal Alchemist- Crazy magic and a living suit of armor and a decent story.
Gantz- Awesome game of the afterlife. Sci-fi stuff. Shoot aliens for points and win!
Monster- Doctor stuff. Saves some dude. Bad shit happens, hunt dude down. Also, yawning happens. Least boring of the "boring" anime.

[quote name='Zen Davis']What's the 1? :) It's Monster isn't it? Anyway, I don't really have as high a standard as you do. I just like to enjoy myself so I don't mind if I like something you consider garbage.[/QUOTE]
Monster.

Go read the FMA manga and you'll see just how much greater it is than the anime. It's a joke to even compare the two.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Please don't make me fight you on Hajime no Ippo.[/QUOTE]I never watched the anime, but the manga is WAY too long for my tastes. 70+ freaking volumes, 750+ chapters, with no end in sight?
Insanity.

It does get credit for keeping me reading through 50 volumes before I said "fuck it." though.

[quote name='crystalklear64']One Piece- Pirates and gay.
Hunter X Hunter- No comment.
Hajime No Ippo- Boxing and yawn.
Hikaru No Go- Some crazy board game and yawn.
Full Metal Alchemist- Crazy magic and a living suit of armor and a decent story.
Gantz- Awesome game of the afterlife. Sci-fi stuff. Shoot aliens for points and win!
Monster- Doctor stuff. Saves some dude. Bad shit happens, hunt dude down. Also, yawning happens. Least boring of the "boring" anime.[/quote]

Bwahahahahaha!

[quote name='ch3zyp00fs']Hajime no Ippo - Best Anime Ever[/quote]
Takamura vs. The Bear is fanboy awesomeness. It's pretty much occured to me that outside of like ten shows, the majority of you don't like any anime whatsoever.

[quote name='Zen Davis']It's pretty much occured to me that outside of like ten shows, the majority of you don't like any anime whatsoever.[/QUOTE]
Sturgeon's Law - 90 percent of everything is crap. Anime is no different.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Sturgeon's Law - 90 percent of everything is crap. Anime is no different.[/quote]
You guys have only stated like .01% however. You've only gone out and suggested 2 shows.

[quote name='Zen Davis']You guys have only stated like .01% however. You've only gone out and suggested 2 shows.[/QUOTE]
To list all the anime I own would take an eternity. I tend to stick with the cream-of-the-crop for referrals.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']To list all the anime I own would take an eternity. I tend to stick with the cream-of-the-crop for referrals.[/quote]
Did this person's standards really look that high? Besides, lighten up. It's just entertainment. ;)

[quote name='Zen Davis']Did this person's standards really look that high? ;)[/QUOTE]
*laughs* He needs far more help than I can offer him, I'm afraid.

People take me far more seriously on this stuff than I am, I think. Heh.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']*laughs* He needs far more help than I can offer him, I'm afraid.[/quote]
See myself, I'm partial to adventure stories which is why I listed shows like Hunter X Hunter and One Piece. They cater to the escapist inside of me, the same way Indiana Jones appeals to me. I like more serious stuff as well but I think regardless of how flawed something may be, there is usually something redeeming about it.

I think that's why anime is special. There are very limited boundries set on the storytellers and there are a number of times they go just buck wild with their ideas. Some times thinks may not work, like the extremely flawed Gantz anime, but usually there is something notable with even those shows, such as the fact that the show takes the time to let you to know all these characters and then
kills them off and then does it again and again like three times in a row really fucks with you because it doesn't follow the normal narrative pacing and it makes you experience the apathy the main character is going through.

Anime like other pieces of entertainment can't all be measured by the same measuring stick. Those are just my thoughts but I'm crossing my fingers that I get a well thought out response in return.

Meh, I do use the same stick for everything. If I need something serious, I'll read a book. If I need some heads exploding, I'll watch some anime. The more serious stuff comes off as inferior to even some of the lesser books I've read, so I just try to avoid it. At the same time, I know people like what they like, which is why I think we're all fine making jabs at each other.

[quote name='Zen Davis']See myself, I'm partial to adventure stories which is why I listed shows like Hunter X Hunter and One Piece. They cater to the escapist inside of me, the same way Indiana Jones appeals to me. I like more serious stuff as well but I think regardless of how flawed something may be, there is usually something redeeming about it.

I think that's why anime is special. There are very limited boundries set on the storytellers and there are a number of times they go just buck wild with their ideas. Some times thinks may not work, like the extremely flawed Gantz anime, but usually there is something notable with even those shows, such as the fact that the show takes the time to let you to know all these characters and then
kills them off and then does it again and again like three times in a row really fucks with you because it doesn't follow the normal narrative pacing and it makes you experience the apathy the main character is going through.

Anime like other pieces of entertainment can't all be measured by the same measuring stick. Those are just my thoughts but I'm crossing my fingers that I get a well thought out response in return.[/QUOTE]But anime can be measured by the same stick.

You can look at the quality of the story telling, the likability of the characters, the world that it takes place in, the feelings it evokes in you, the ending, the overall enjoyment you get out of it etc and judge it by that.

Monster, for example (because I've read the manga like 3 times):
The story telling is fantastic, it always leaves you guessing and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The world it takes place in is very similar to ours, but is fantastic enough to allow the story to exist. The urge to want to know what is next, and the genuine care you gain for the characters' fates is another plus.

The combination of those factors make it very enjoyable. Most anime lack those factors and rely too much on excessive cleavage or other such wannabe plot devices, and are thus garbage.

[quote name='Liquid 2']But anime can be measured by the same stick.

You can look at the quality of the story telling, the likability of the characters, the world that it takes place in, the feelings it evokes in you, the ending, the overall enjoyment you get out of it etc and judge it by that.

Monster, for example (because I've read the manga like 3 times):
The story telling is fantastic, it always leaves you guessing and keeps you on the edge of your seat. The world it takes place in is very similar to ours, but is fantastic enough to allow the story to exist. The urge to want to know what is next, and the genuine care you gain for the characters' fates is another plus.

The combination of those factors make it very enjoyable. Most anime lack those factors and rely too much on excessive cleavage or other such wannabe plot devices, and are thus garbage.[/quote]
But would you hold that same stick to a comedy? Would you want a comedy to keep you on the edge of your seat? Perhaps you would, but the majority of people just want to laugh, such as myself. You're looking at anime as a whole and ignoring that there are in fact genres in anime just like in film. Don't collapse your arguments into generalizations because the fact is that not all anime is cleavage. One Piece sure isn't. Hunter X Hunter sure isn't.

In fact of all the shows I listed, only Gantz had some measure of fanservice. Really, sometimes it's just about the crazy adventure in the midst of a number of awesome characters that make you forget your worldly troubles, and even if the adventure is somewhat familiar, it doesn't mean it's any less fun. :)

[quote name='Zen Davis']But would you hold that same stick to a comedy? Would you want a comedy to keep you on the edge of your seat? Perhaps you would, but the majority of people just want to laugh, such as myself. You're looking at anime as a whole and ignoring that there are in fact genres in anime just like in film. Not all anime is cleavage. One Piece sure isn't. Hunter X Hunter sure isn't. Sometimes it's just about the crazy adventure in the midst of a number of awesome characters that make you forget your worldly troubles.[/QUOTE]Certain criteria are more important for different genres (I wouldn't judge something like Azumanga Daioh on story, for example, but I love it); comedies make up for their lack of some aspects with overall enjoyability. In the end, it's the same stick.

You also can't forget the length of an anime. One Piece is up to what, ~450 episodes now? That's madness.
There are entire arcs that could have been entirely cut out, if not shortened, that would have improved the series as a whole. At some point, the length makes any anime/manga tedious and repetitive, like the Hajime no Ippo and Detective Conan mangas.

[quote name='Zen Davis']See myself, I'm partial to adventure stories which is why I listed shows like Hunter X Hunter and One Piece. They cater to the escapist inside of me, the same way Indiana Jones appeals to me. I like more serious stuff as well but I think regardless of how flawed something may be, there is usually something redeeming about it.

Anime like other pieces of entertainment can't all be measured by the same measuring stick. Those are just my thoughts but I'm crossing my fingers that I get a well thought out response in return.[/QUOTE]
I have far less of a problem with One Piece and Hunter X Hunter than I do with a show like Naruto, but that's not really the point I want to make.

I don't see why anime should be held to different standards than any other medium, nor do I understand why people will put up with bad anime just because "it's from Japan." To me, a flawed story, characters, dialogue, direction, or what have you are just as deserving of my dissent as anything else I might watch. And while I do admire the freedom that storytellers here in Japan are allowed in comparison to what gets broadcast on American television, I just wish that more of them could figure out how to tell a coherent story, competently, without pandering to base appeals like huge breasts and explosions (I'm looking at you, Black Lagoon). I expect engaging stories that keep me interested in the characters and what's happening to them, not just some pretty visuals to cover up the fact that the show has absolutely nothing else to offer.

Perhaps I see more of this garbage because I'm actually living *in* Japan? I don't know. But it's become apparent to me that Japanese directors and scriptwriters, more often than not, have so many *terrible ideas* that actually end up making it into Japanese media. It's a lot of work to filter through everything (there's far more here than what gets fansubbed) to find the jems, and I grow weary of all the contrived crap I see so often. But on the flipside, it makes finding a great show all the more rewarding. I guess it all boils down to "DID I ENJOY IT?" and "WOULD I WATCH IT AGAIN?"

So... yeah. There you go.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I have far less of a problem with One Piece and Hunter X Hunter than I do with a show like Naruto, but that's not really the point I want to make.

I don't see why anime should be held to different standards than any other medium, nor do I understand why people will put up with bad anime just because "it's from Japan." To me, a flawed story, characters, dialogue, direction, or what have you are just as deserving of my dissent as anything else I might watch. And while I do admire the freedom that storytellers here in Japan are allowed in comparison to what gets broadcast on American television, I just wish that more of them could figure out how to tell a coherent story, competently, without pandering to base appeals like huge breasts and explosions (I'm looking at you, Black Lagoon). I expect engaging stories that keep me interested in the characters and what's happening to them, not just some pretty visuals to cover up the fact that the show has absolutely nothing else to offer.

Perhaps I see more of this garbage because I'm actually living *in* Japan? I don't know. But it's become apparent to me that Japanese directors and scriptwriters, more often than not, have so many *terrible ideas* that actually end up making it into Japanese media. It's a lot of work to filter through everything (there's far more here than what gets fansubbed) to find the jems, and I grow weary of all the contrived crap I see so often.

So... yeah. There you go.[/quote]
Yeah. It's probably the fact that you're in Japan. When you're surrounded by something, you become a lot more discerning about what you actually want to interact with of that something. At least that's my opinion.

Fansubbers are basically a small measure of quality because if it isn't being fansubbed, than it probably isn't worth watching. I would imagine that you don't have that luxary and all manner of shovelware is crapped in your face.

Usually I go into a lot of shows blind and just see if I can get into them. That's how I got into Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Love Hina and out of Dragonball Z back in 2000. Just went onto IRC and looked at what was being downloaded the most and got the shows blind. Same thing with One Piece, Naruto, and many other shows. The biggest problem I have with something like Naurto is the horrible pacing. If they just started making huge cuts to episodes and stopped making everything drag so much, the series could stand to be good but they just milk everything so much, it's mind-numbing.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Certain criteria are more important for different genres (I wouldn't judge something like Azumanga Daioh on story, for example, but I love it); comedies make up for their lack of some aspects with overall enjoyability. In the end, it's the same stick.

You also can't forget the length of an anime. One Piece is up to what, ~450 episodes now? That's madness.
There are entire arcs that could have been entirely cut out, if not shortened, that would have improved the series as a whole. At some point, the length makes any anime/manga tedious and repetitive, like the Hajime no Ippo and Detective Conan mangas.[/quote]
One Piece is up to 326. To you it may be crazy, but as someone who really likes the characters and enjoys the univese, it feels like there is a bunch more that could be done in the world and the series is building to just explode into epic craziness.

The manner in which the main crew is introduced is among the best character introductions I've ever read because they make you truly vested in the character for the long run. Even in the history of movies, I've never seen the flashback used as effectively as it has been used in One Piece.

I guess it's pretty much the one show for that whenever it starts to get old, a zombie skeleton will suddenly walk in from left stage or like a rabid mongoose will jump out of the ocean and start dancing. and make you go, "WHAT THE fuck?!" and that's why I like it.

I can't speak on Ippo or Conan since I never read the manga. Either way, I'm of the school of thought that each genre requires its own stick. A comedy stick. An action stick. An adventure stick. You've disagreed and I think that's cool because to each their own stick.

bread's done
Back