anime suggestions

floormat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
If wrong forum please move.  Thanks.

Just looking for suggestions on some good anime movies or shows to watch.

We watched all the Miyazaki movies and of course those were great.  Digimon and pokemon were good to watch.  Steamboy was ok.  One piece, bobobbobobo and attack on titan were good once the curse words were taken care of.

Basically looking for either good movies or a series preferably with little to no cursing, not overtly sexual (like kill la kill is supposed to be good but not going to sit there and watch that with the kids) and some violence is fine just not kite level violence (attack on titan was watched with the older kids)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Trolls need not apply thank you.  Also please no point in arguing or questioning the suggested preference. If you came in and asked about a corvette and I kept trying to question or talk you into a Volkswagen jetta that really wouldn't be of much help to either of us.  Again that you for any an all suggestions that should meet that criteria.

Watching Full Metal now, and yeah, that sounds like a good choice. I'll second that. What about Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. If you haven't already seen them they sound like solid candidates. Are you looking for more action then drama? Also are subtitles out of the question? Assuming they are (since you're watching with kids) I can recommend some newer stuff so here goes:

Assassination Classroom - The dub is currently up on Funimation although I've only seen the sub. It's silly, a little bit of sexy stuff but nothing like Kill a Kill. They do call one person Bitchy Senpai. Not sure if it translated over into the dub. This is pretty much "The Substitute" meets anime.

Yona of the Dawn - I really liked this one. Again the dub is on Funimation. From what I remember the language is clean, no major sexual stuff. Some violence but nothing gorey. Good story too.

I would recommend watching Cowboy Bebop after you've watched many other things. It basically got me into anime and I still haven't seen anything better.

My recommendations:

Cowboy Bebop

Samurai Champloo

Outlaw Star

Wolf's Rain

Full Metal Alchemist

Last edited by a moderator:
Cowboy Bebop, IMO is the best anime of all time. It's a little violent, but I would say it's PG or PG-13 at best in terms of content.

Parasyte: The Maxim is another really good one, but it's also pretty violent. I recommend watching it, but not with the kiddies. 

Other great shows I would recommend:

- Trigun

- Gundam Wing

- Sword Art Online

- Dragon Ball Z (of course)

- Jo-Jo's Bizarre Adventure 

- Space Dandy

A lot of these shows are also on Hulu Plus. If you don't have a Hulu Plus subscription, I definitely recommend checking it out. They have a really good selection of anime on the service and the majority of shows I recommended are also on Hulu. 

Yona of the Dawn, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Martian Successor Nadesico, and Gundam Build Fighters are all excellent series and are available free on YouTube, though only Nadesico and Utena are dubbed.

FUNimation and Nozomi actually have a large number of their titles up on their YouTube pages.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  Keep them coming.

currently reading up on Burusuraita and Accel World to see how those fall.

On a side note my 14 year old daughter was asked to run the anime club at the library.

There's also Sailor Moon, Ouran High School Host Club, Full Metal Panic, Magic Knight Rayearth, Gun X Sword, and if you can actually find it cheap, Angelic Layer.

Watching Full Metal now, and yeah, that sounds like a good choice. I'll second that. What about Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. If you haven't already seen them they sound like solid candidates. Are you looking for more action then drama? Also are subtitles out of the question? Assuming they are (since you're watching with kids) I can recommend some newer stuff so here goes:

Samurai Champloo - The dub is currently up on Funimation although I've only seen the sub. It's silly, a little bit of sexy stuff but nothing like Kill a Kill. They do call one person Bitchy Senpai. Not sure if it translated over into the dub. This is pretty much "The Substitute" meets anime.

Yona of the Dawn - I really liked this one. Again the dub is on Funimation. From what I remember the language is clean, no major sexual stuff. Some violence but nothing gorey. Good story too.
English dub preferred because of kids but some dubs doable.

Looking into yona of the dawn - looks to be good.

Samurai Champloo - probably not going to consider because of the below

Four paintings of a different woman being sexually assaulted are shown twice for a second, breasts and thighs are visible in two of them. Three paintings of a semi-nude woman are seen briefly, part of her breasts and buttocks are visible for a second.

A short montage of a woman dragged into prostitution. She is shown exposing her whole body from the back to a large man, then he gropes her body from behind (shown chest up), then his hands grope her thighs, then an arm is next to her chest (implying he is on top of her), and then her face and shoulder is shown, possibly during intercourse from behind. No sight of breasts or buttocks.

A man momentarily touches a clothed girl with the intention of raping her.

Two female characters are forced into prostitution, but they manage onscreen to avoid sex with clients.

Not being a prude just have to consider what I put in front of young ladies.

Thanks for the thoughts. Anything else let me know.

On a side note i see this far to often

English version: Damn, hell, asshole, shit, bastard, bitch.

Japanese version: Damn, hell, bastard.

Why in the world would one try to throw additional cursing into a show?  bastard didn't translate so you had to say shitty bastard? hahaha    Just a minor pet peeve rant... 

Well, Japan doesn't really have cursing the way English does. The most common word is "kuso" which literally means "feces" and gets translated as "damn," "shit," and other similar words. Only the youngest of youngest shows doesn't use the word.

As for suggestions, Viz's Neon Alley page has most of their catalog online for free and includes shoujo anime.

I think I mentioned it before, but the out of print Planetes and Angelic Layer are excellent series safe for young teens, though Planetes does have a character who constantly smokes.

Death Note fell apart in the second half of the series IMO. Would still recommend based on how good it is at the start and maybe you would have a differing opinion on the rest.

Can't believe I didn't mention it, but there's also Kaleido Star. Very little foul language, actual "mature" situations instead of crass "adult" situations, little blood, and a positive message for most of the series.

Just to warn you though, the first half of Season 2 is really, really bad. It pays off though, so just power through it.

Moribito has a bit more blood and violence, but is similar in tone and style to Yona.

If you don't mind stupid insanity with no real net worth to society, there's Bo-bobo Bo-bobobo.

Gad Guard and Solty Rei are pretty cheap drama series to consider too. Neither are amazing, but decently enjoyable.

Kaze no Stigma is another cheap and generic but harmless title.

I would heartily recommend Cardcaptor Sakura, but the dub for everything but the second movie is horrible.

And, of course, there's always edited kids anime like Pokemon, Digimon, or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Fruits basket, Oh my goddess (these two are mostly okay for most kids, with some sexiness in the latter, and a little language in the former), Ai Yori Aoshi (it looks dirty, but it's actually a relatively clean anime with lots of cute fun), Full Metal Panic (violence and some foul language, but everything after this is okay for most kids), Kaleido Star, Princess Tutu, Angelic layer, Azumanga Daioh, Pani Poni Dash, Card Captor Sakura, Rurouni Kenshin, Buso Renkin.  I know I can keep going, but I don't have access to my collection to tell you more.  If you can find it for a reasonable price, Record of Lodoss war is good, too.  And, I can't mention anime without mentioning Slayers.  There's also Nadia Secret of Blue Water (but it looks very dated, forewarning).  The new Sailor Moon release from Viz is a million times better than the old release, and well worth looking into.  Mobile Combat Duty Unit Whatever Shinesman is a hilarious 2 episode OVA series, and shouldn't cost a lot to purchase.  People may disagree with me on this, but I enjoyed Wanderers a lot, and I think kids would, too.  I'm gonna stop now, but end with Martian Successor Nadesico, a somewhat serious, but very off-the-wall silly giant robot anime.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I work 14 hours shifts so I am coming back and going thru the thread in order researching when i can.  Any thing else that fits the criteria of course throw it out there.  Kids watching Naurto at the moment.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I work 14 hours shifts so I am coming back and going thru the thread in order researching when i can. Any thing else that fits the criteria of course throw it out there. Kids watching Naurto at the moment.
If they like Naruto they will love the comedy spin off Rock Lee & his ninja pals. However possible spoilers if they didn't get up to the shippuden Pain arc, and i believe there is no dub.

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime ( snow white with red hair) a japanese anime adaptation of the classic tale

If they like Naruto they will love the comedy spin off Rock Lee & his ninja pals. However possible spoilers if they didn't get up to the shippuden Pain arc, and i believe there is no dub.
Viz made a dub for it, but not only is it digital only, but they're only halfway through and is a union production so a number of voices (most notably Naruto and Sakura) were changed.

bread's done
Back