Anime VHS (not DVD) $1.00 each at Price Chopper

fairyland

CAGiversary!
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I thought this would be a good place for this news as there are a lot of anime fans out there looking for deals and they probably would not find out about it in another forum. But please movie the tread if someone feels it should be else where.

Anyway, today I went to Price Chopper (that's a grocery store chain mostly in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont) and they had a huge bin of $1.00 anime VHS videos. They appeared to be all old US Manga titles and some pretty obscure titles by today's standarts of fandom, but for $1.00 each any of the titles they had were worth a try for any anime fan out there.

There was about 50 different ones to choose from and about 4 of each title. They had Trigun, Utena, Slayers, Record of Loduss Wars, Zenki and other big name series which I did not get as I already had them on DVD. The ones I did buy was Metal Fighter Miku 3, 4, 5, Tokyo Babylon 1, My My Mai 1, Garaga, Shamanic Princess 1, Ariel, Area 88, Patlabor TV 1, Iria 1, and Black Jack 1. I even picked up this strange looking cartoon in Spanish called "Despregue en un Cometa" (Off on a comet).

Anyway, I'm unsure if this is a YMMV as the sign said as advertised 10 for $10.00 videos, but it could be. They also had a few really lame cheapo DVDs mixed in the pile as well, but they was not anime titles. It seems unlikely that other Price Choppers would not have these tapes as well in my opinion.

Good luck to anyone else who wants to take avantage of this deal. I've been a fan of anime for 14 years now and it really shocks me to see this deal, as I remember these being $30.00 a pop new. Now they'll lucky to get rid of these things for $1.00 each. I suppose in another 10 or so years I will be getting anime DVDs out of a dollar bin as well. LOL

Two questions:
Which Price Chopper was this? (City, State)
Were these sealed/new, or used (i.e. from the supermarket video rental or something)?

Thanks for the post!

[quote name='moiety']Two questions:
Which Price Chopper was this? (City, State)
Were these sealed/new, or used (i.e. from the supermarket video rental or something)?

Thanks for the post![/QUOTE]

It was at New Hartford, New York. We have a few dozen Price Choppers around the central New York area, and three very local to me, but I did not check any of the others. I'm pretty sure they all would have the same titles and variety which would not really make me want to check them all out. And it appeared to be a "weekly" advertised sale, but when I checked the flyer, I did not see anything about it, so it could have been an older sale which goes on until all the inventory is sold out, which pretty much would explain the few non-anime titles that was in the bin. They are all new tapes, still sealed in their packages. Not rentals (the one I went to does not have a rental dept). They had about 5 of each tape it seemed.

Obviously USmanga blew out their old VHS inventory recently and Price Chopper got a hold of it somehow. If I'm not mistaken, they also own a popular dollar store franchise around here, so I would not be surprised if more anime tapes will be popping up at one of them as well.

The price chopper in northeast kingdom vermont (think its lyndonville) is very nice. But the new york ones I've seen are run down and the ones in toronto are the worst grocery stores (they're by far the worst of the 5 or so different chains). I hated them, run down, dirty and tiny. And the first time I went to one I had no idea I actually had to BUY bags for my groceries, and no one told me. So I stood there arguing for like a minute or 2 because I had no change on me and she couldn't put the credit card through again just for the bags. She eventually just gave them to me. I never had that problem in the vermont one (never actually made a purchase in the NY ones so I don't know if they do that there).

I had no idea they were in massachusetts.

Though I'm trying to get rid of my vhs stuff when possible (ie. if I can get a series cheap, like sorcerer hunters for 8 bucks, then I replace it with the dvd version), so unless they had vhs only stuff I'd probably pass.

The only vhs stuff I care about is ogre slayer and junkboy (wicked funny, like an older version of golden boy). Everything else I can think of is on dvd. Though my my mai was a cute borderline hentai series. Well worth the money (along with some others) if you don't mind vhs.

I wonder if you are thinking about the right store. The Price Choppers here never charged for bags and I've been shopping them since the late 70s. Only Aldi's does that bag charging and they are fairly new to the area. Actually, the 10 or so of the Price Choppers that I've went inside of here in Central New York (Utica and Syracuse area) are all very nice and newly remodeled in the past 5 years. 2 of the older ones which are still in their late 80s style are due to be remodeled soon as well.

Anyway, same here about VHS, that I'm replacing with DVD. It's why I did not buy the Slayers and Utena as I already had those DVDs, but I was tempted to buy them for displaying the cover art in my room. Anyway, there was about 50 different series, so surely an anime fan will find something they'll want to test out or was curious about but never got because it was too high or not easy to locate cheaply on DVD. I got 13 tapes for that reason, and I'd probably end up getting the DVDs if I like them well enough. LOL

[quote name='fairyland']I wonder if you are thinking about the right store. The Price Choppers here never charged for bags and I've been shopping them since the late 70s. Only Aldi's does that bag charging and they are fairly new to the area. Actually, the 10 or so of the Price Choppers that I've went inside of here in Central New York (Utica and Syracuse area) are all very nice and newly remodeled in the past 5 years. 2 of the older ones which are still in their late 80s style are due to be remodeled soon as well.
[/QUOTE]

Well, I never actually bought anything in the NY ones (just walked around) so I didn't know if they did it there (guess not). The vermont one I know didn't. The ones in toronto do though, that may just be implemented by whoever controls toronto or southern ontarios price choppers, or could be a rule for all canadian price choppers (if they are in other areas).

I may have been in the utica one (went to one right of the new york thruway), but I'm not sure. I probably didn't go to the utica one you're referring to since it would have been about a year ago and the one I'm thinking of was anything but nice.

One good thing about vhs ones is the extras, they sometimes included post cards or trading cards in them. It's a nice bonus to throw into your dvd case. For example, I have the complete set of vhs postcards that came with sorcerer hunters sitting in my SH dvd case. I'd still buy vhs tapes with extras, its just that I watched anime since streamline pictures was still making vhs so I can't think of many older ones I want but haven't seen. Good deal if you want to try them though, like you said. They weren't junk series by any means.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Well, I never actually bought anything in the NY ones (just walked around) so I didn't know if they did it there (guess not). The vermont one I know didn't. The ones in toronto do though, that may just be implemented by whoever controls toronto or southern ontarios price choppers, or could be a rule for all canadian price choppers (if they are in other areas).

I may have been in the utica one (went to one right of the new york thruway), but I'm not sure. I probably didn't go to the utica one you're referring to since it would have been about a year ago and the one I'm thinking of was anything but nice.

One good thing about vhs ones is the extras, they sometimes included post cards or trading cards in them. It's a nice bonus to throw into your dvd case. For example, I have the complete set of vhs postcards that came with sorcerer hunters sitting in my SH dvd case. I'd still buy vhs tapes with extras, its just that I watched anime since streamline pictures was still making vhs so I can't think of many older ones I want but haven't seen. Good deal if you want to try them though, like you said. They weren't junk series by any means.[/QUOTE]

Just got back from that Utica one you mentioned about as it's next to the Big Lots which I went out special to look for that bootleg NES thing that I've been reading about in other forums, but they did not have it, but they did have 3.99 anime DVDs at Big Lots. I'll update the current thread about that. Anyway the Utica one is one of the last ones that they plan to remodel around here and it's pretty run down looking these days. There has been issues between them and the city about it for many years now and I don't think they'll ever remodel. They also had these 1.00 anime videos as well, so I would think that most of the rest of the stores will have them as well. Same exact titles as New Hartford. The only difference is that they had a lot of really crappy public domain DVDs for $1.00 each in with the anime.

hehe I know what you mean, I still need to complete my Tenchi Muyo Clam Shell VHS for my "Bonus Cards collection". I was paying $30.00 a pop for them new about 10 years ago. I already bought the DVDs to those, but I really liked the bonus cards.

bread's done
Back