Another "build my pc," emphasis on cost

kainzero

CAGiversary!
so my brother's computer is slow as crap and it definitely needs to be replaced.
256 MB of RDRAM, P4 1.7GHz back when it JUST came out, AGPx8 ATI Radeon 9600... etc.

i swear, firefox takes like 4 minutes to open.

so the goal of this computer is to create something really cheap as the number 1 priority, with power efficiency and quietness as number 2.

the only time i ever know what's going on in computer world is when i'm building a computer, otherwise, not really, so i don't know where to start. none of the parts i can carry over, except maybe the PATA DVD-ROM and the mouse / keyboard.

cases... what's the deal with micro ATX cases? are they easy to work with and fast enough? i've only built normal sized ATX ones. might go miniATX, but i don't understand them enough.
cpu+mobo... intel or AMD, which is more cost efficient? apparently when i bought AMD last year, it was neither the fastest nor the cheapest so i should actually do my research this time. again, it could even be last generation's stuff.
videocard... i wanna pick the low end of an ATI or nVidia but i can't figure out what the hell these naming conventions mean anymore. i can even use last generation's as long as it's dx10 compatible? i have no idea.

i think those are the ones where i have the most time struggling to figure out what the heck they mean.

sub $500. i'd even be down to pick up any good used parts if i had some guarantee that they were reliable.

Check this out:

Total cost: $421.88 after rebates, all shipped free. And that is everything you need (see footnote two posts down, however).

Buy these parts. Assemble the computer. Be amazed that you managed to get a computer this powerful, this cheap. Enjoy. Thank me later.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only difference between atx and miniATX is size. Parts will mostly be the same except you will be more limited as there are less expension options, and you can't put in things like big powerful video cards. The computer I'm using is miniATX and it has the following specs:

Q6600
8 gigs ram
9600gt
x-fi soundcard

So you can see it's a viable option. It's a pain to build though, especially when you get to cabling it.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']The processor you picked wasn't OEM, he won't need it.[/QUOTE]

Arctic Silver is better than the stuff they include with the stock cooler. :/

Note to OP: the only things you'll need to provide are mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers. Input/output, basically.

ahh. that is pretty cheap. and i can do away with the burner, since we already have like 5 dvd burners in the house, and just use the dvd-rom on the computer.

the only change i'd make is to OEM the CPU and then buy a different cpu cooler because i've had bad experiences with stock coolers. but otherwise everything looks good.

hopefully my vacation next week doesn't get too pricey, that way i can start buying stuff

[quote name='kainzero']ahh. that is pretty cheap. and i can do away with the burner, since we already have like 5 dvd burners in the house, and just use the dvd-rom on the computer.[/quote]
Nice. That shaves off $25 bucks right there, making my list under $400. :)

the only change i'd make is to OEM the CPU and then buy a different cpu cooler because i've had bad experiences with stock coolers. but otherwise everything looks good.
If you insist. Here's a good store you can buy the OEM chip from, for $66.99:
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=E5200&src=DC&sid=u288828t1189241f0fp0c0s1056

I'll leave the aftermarket cooler up to you, though...

hopefully my vacation next week doesn't get too pricey, that way i can start buying stuff
Ooh...well, keep in mind, that to qualify for the rebates on the PSU, GPU, and RAM, you need to make the purchase before the end of this month. Also note that these prices can sometimes fluctuate day-to-day, even, so keep an eye on them.

i'll probably shave off some more money by going with a radeon HD 3850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102794

can also shave off money off the power supply, since the power supply calculator says the build only draws 230 watts, so if i get a 430W combined with the five hundred and 80 plus certified, i can shave off $10.

if there's another vendor besides newegg that doesn't charge CA tax, i'll love you for life.

i'll probably pick up the case/psu/ram/gpu before the month

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']That is an amazing build, Coffee.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! :D

Component PC assembly is one of my hobbies, so I try to keep up with it. I don't believe in "flashy" components, preferring to emphasize performance (thus, a case and PSU with no LEDs or such goofiness) within practically any price range, and I try to avoid the hype of products that a lot of people consider "must-have" (notice how I recommend a Pentium Dual Core series, rather than a Core 2 Duo; they cost about 50% less, and you'll only see a single-digit performance drop in most games, compared to a similarly clocked C2D). I don't believe that there is really any sense in ever building an absolutely "top of the line" PC. The price/performance ratio really falls off at the highest end; you'll pay twice as much, in pursuit of the last 15% of computing power that you can buy. I'm sure that to some, money is no object, but I'd gladly sacrifice 15% of performance, to save half the money.

I'm always glad to provide recommendations and assistance to people building a computer from components, especially lower-cost builds. It's always nice to surprise people with just how powerful a computer you can build, for so little cost. :)

[quote name='kainzero']i'll probably shave off some more money by going with a radeon HD 3850:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102794[/quote]
Ooh...well, if you must, you must. Just take note, that yeah, it's $30 cheaper, but you'll take about a 30% performance hit in most games (source).

If you absolutely need to shave a few bucks off, but can go more than $50, I'd reccomend a Geforce 9600GT instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143161

can also shave off money off the power supply, since the power supply calculator says the build only draws 230 watts, so if i get a 430W combined with the five hundred and 80 plus certified, i can shave off $10.
If you need to save $10 on the PSU, add this Anteq Basiq 500W to your Newegg cart:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004

If you buy it with the Antec Three Hundred case, you get both in a combo deal for $98.94, which makes the PSU basically $40.

if there's another vendor besides newegg that doesn't charge CA tax, i'll love you for life.
Ah, I hadn't noticed that your location says that you're in California. Heh.

Anyways, we can take care of that. How about Amazon? Here's the Antec Three Hundred for $60, the same Gigabyte G31 mobo for $53,, the Intel E5200 for $70, a 250 GB Western Digital harddrive for $48, and the same OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSU for $53.

These prices are pretty identical to Newegg's, for the same products (with the exception of the harddrive; if 250GB is enough space for you, then it shouldn't be a problem at all). These all qualify for free shipping, are sold directly by Amazon, and seeing as how Amazon is based in Washington, you won't pay a dime in sales tax. :)

The only things left are the GPU, and RAM. For both of these, though, I'd still go with Newegg. Even with the tax, you'll still be getting a far, far better deal buying from them than anywhere else.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Ooh...well, if you must, you must. Just take note, that yeah, it's $30 cheaper, but you'll take about a 30% performance hit in most games (source).[/QUOTE]
it's not that i need to, it's just that i don't care that much for my brother, and i feel like it's a good idea every once in a while to build a pc to flex my DIY muscles. neither of us play anything that would really require too much, with tf2 being the most advanced thing he plays, and for that he hijacks my computer anyway.

as long as it's somewhat modern and pretty reliable, it'll be fine.

now if only i can find a use for the corpse. my old computer, i'm gonna be converting to a MAME / emulator box, so we're gonna have another dated computer to do stuff with. hmmm.

[quote name='kainzero']it's not that i need to, it's just that i don't care that much for my brother, and i feel like it's a good idea every once in a while to build a pc to flex my DIY muscles. neither of us play anything that would really require too much, with tf2 being the most advanced thing he plays, and for that he hijacks my computer anyway.[/quote]

Ah. Gotcha.

now if only i can find a use for the corpse. my old computer, i'm gonna be converting to a MAME / emulator box, so we're gonna have another dated computer to do stuff with. hmmm.
Media center, bro. XBMC + Aeon skin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwHHdI8s0A

good call coffee. I DIY all of my PCs and it's always been either newegg or Mwave for me. only in rare instances do I find something cheaper and usually that is at Fry's. Really if you go with either of those three your set along with coffee's list.

If your looking into something cheaper on the case just grab a rosewill for like $25.

Do the XBMC option for your old comp. Did that for a friend of mine and they love it and all it cost me was an old case I got for free back in 98. :D

i am curious, i see a few suggestions, showing 4 gb of ram or more, the one guy had 8 in his system, are you guys using 64bit os? because i thought that the 32bit wont even see the full 4gb?

i just built a new pc but kept the same box and psu, i am gonna have to replace those too though.

old specs were
p4 3.0c
p4c800-e deluxe mobo
160 7200rpm ide wd hd
asus ati radeon 9800 pro
2 gb corsair ddr 800 ram
thermaltake xaser III skull case
thermaltake 480w psu
rosewell 52x cd burner

new just put together lastnight

thermaltake 480w psu
rosewell 52x cd burner
gigabyte ma770-ud3 mobo
amd 7750 am2+ athelon 64 black
evga 9500gt 1gb ddr2
gskill ddr2-1066 2gb cause i have win xp 32-bit

i kept the case, psu, and cd for a total of $313.26
that also includes some case fans. i cleaned out the case really good, replaced an 80 mm fan that had died, and added a 120mm to the front for intake. my only gripe is that the case wires for the reset, power and such are kinda short and streched especially the reset button.

any thoughts? should i have gone with the 4gb of ram? i'm not huge on fps's mostly rts's

didn't mean to thread hijack, but you folks seem to be more in the loop with current pc's and i have not built one for almost 5 years now.

[quote name='ctrek3']new just put together lastnight

thermaltake 480w psu
rosewell 52x cd burner
gigabyte ma770-ud3 mobo
amd 7750 am2+ athelon 64 black
evga 9500gt 1gb ddr2
gskill ddr2-1066 2gb cause i have win xp 32-bit

i kept the case, psu, and cd for a total of $313.26
that also includes some case fans. i cleaned out the case really good, replaced an 80 mm fan that had died, and added a 120mm to the front for intake. my only gripe is that the case wires for the reset, power and such are kinda short and streched especially the reset button.

any thoughts? should i have gone with the 4gb of ram? i'm not huge on fps's mostly rts's

didn't mean to thread hijack, but you folks seem to be more in the loop with current pc's and i have not built one for almost 5 years now.[/QUOTE]

You did great for $300. If you upgrade to Vista or 7, you'll want at least 4 gigs of RAM. But that's a problem for Future You. Present You can be can be happy now.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']If you upgrade to Vista or 7, you'll want at least 4 gigs of RAM.[/QUOTE]

No. He only really needs 4, if he's using any 64-bit OS.

A 32-bit OS will only see 3 of the 4 GBs. Still more than 2, I suppose.

[quote name='assassinX']CoffeeEdge is that processor you mentioned able to be overclocked easiely, and if so too how far would it go?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Heh, some people have pushed them upwards of 4 GHz, but that's suicide territory. You could easily push it to ~3, even with the stock cooling.

I suppose while we're at it, I'm looking for a new build when I get back from the desert. Money's not much of a consideration (let's say price range is between 450-700), but I'm not looking for a top-tier performer. I'm still a PC gamer, but I don't need max'd graphics settings. OC'ing would be nice, but not a requirement. Additionally I'd prefer a mid-size case, but I'm not all about LEDs and what not - as long as it keeps the stuff cool. Here's what I have so far, based on some cheaper costs and the Phenom processor:

AMD Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition Kuma 2.8GHz Socket AM2+ 95W
Foxconn A78AX-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
COOLER MASTER RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

Thanks!

[quote name='assassinX']How would I go about doing that?[/QUOTE]

Heh, sorry, I can't really write up a full overclocking guide here. There are plenty of other places to discuss this topic (TomsHardware, HardOCP, OverclockersClub, etc).

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Check this out:

Total cost: $421.88 after rebates, all shipped free. And that is everything you need (see footnote two posts down, however).

Buy these parts. Assemble the computer. Be amazed that you managed to get a computer this powerful, this cheap. Enjoy. Thank me later.[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong, and probably am, but the specs on that case show it's only ATX mobo compatible, but that's a miniATX isn't it?

I like the looks of most everything else in this build though, especially that case with its frontside fan. My 5-year-old self-assembled rig is pretty well obsolete now (nothing fits in my Asus A7N8X-E mobo anymore), and I've been wanting to get anything with a dual core so much that I almost bought this cheapo slim dell. I looked closer though and found out the half-height would make it difficult if not impossible to upgrade the video card in the future (incase I want to play Starcraft 2).

So aside from the motherboard, which you may have a good reason for recommending, I was thinking about springing for what looks like a better power supply, and in doing so found a combo deal that seems good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.193711
They both have significantly better customer reviews and what look like desirable features (2nd frontside fan, SLI/crossfire ready [a friend highly recommended running an SLI config]) and purchased together are just $34 more. Is that good or is there something wrong with those? I'm figuring that even if I don't go with SLI/Crossfire now, if I pick up that Radeon HD 4830 I could always pick up another one (or something else compatible) to pair with it later when I've got more excess finances.

Great read guys.

Coffee thanks for the informative posts. I have built a few computers but I still found your insight interesting. Keep up the helpful hand!

[quote name='Shinpachi']I could be wrong, and probably am, but the specs on that case show it's only ATX mobo compatible, but that's a miniATX isn't it?[/quote]
I have the same case, and the same mobo. From personal experiance, I can guarantee that it has mounting for miniATX. :)

(nothing fits in my Asus A7N8X-E mobo anymore)
Heh...that was the exact same motherboard I had in the rig prior to the one I'm using now. Interesting coincidence.

They both have significantly better customer reviews and what look like desirable features (2nd frontside fan, SLI/crossfire ready [a friend highly recommended running an SLI config]) and purchased together are just $34 more. Is that good or is there something wrong with those? I'm figuring that even if I don't go with SLI/Crossfire now, if I pick up that Radeon HD 4830 I could always pick up another one (or something else compatible) to pair with it later when I've got more excess finances.
Well, the reason I wouldn't worry about an SLI/crossfire-ready PSU, is because the mobo I recommended only has one PCI-E slot. So, no dual-video cards, without a new mobo, I'm afraid. Remember, I was recommending these parts based on a request for a "budget" rig, and dual video cards don't usually fall into the "budget" category...

At any rate, it looks like a fine PSU. No big deal spending a little extra on it.

if you're getting microatx mobo why not get microatx case.. and since all components are relatively low power you can make do with a bundled PSU

[quote name='Koggit']if you're getting microatx mobo why not get microatx case.. and since all components are relatively low power you can make do with a bundled PSU[/QUOTE]

But...then he's stuck with microATX boards with future upgrades. I prefer to get a nice tower case that can be reused many times.

in theory.. but do you actually do that? i've personally never replaced a motherboard and reused a case. by the time i replace a motherboard, there are too many components in need of upgrading for it to be a simple upgrade -- it's time to rebuild. replacing the mobo adds $100 to the cost of replacing the parts that actually affect performance, so it's never worth the expense until the machine's far enough behind the times to warrant a rebuild. by then, if you replace everything except case / optical drives you're left selling the old system for parts instead of as a complete PC.

[quote name='Koggit']in theory.. but do you actually do that? i've personally never replaced a motherboard and reused a case. by the time i replace a motherboard, there are too many components in need of upgrading for it to be a simple upgrade -- it's time to rebuild. replacing the mobo adds $100 to the cost of replacing the parts that actually affect performance, so it's never worth the expense until the machine's far enough behind the times to warrant a rebuild. by then, if you replace everything except case / optical drives you're left selling the old system for parts instead of as a complete PC.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I don't mind. :lol: Rip out all the old stuff, stick it on ebay, and use the funds toward buying new stuff. Sometimes I get lucky and old parts actually go up in value, like AGP cards or SDRAM memory. I hate to throw out a good tower case.

Thanks for the reply CoffeeEdge, I figured you knew your stuff pretty well. I'm having trouble finding what looks like a good Intel motherboard to go with all the pieces I want. Nothing against that miniATX one, but I want something I can expand upon in two years or so with more RAM or a quadcore or whatever I may need, and I'm weary of brands I don't know besides Asus and Gigabyte. So I went looking at AMD's despite the stigma (my old one held up perfectly) and found a combo that sounded good to me.

Right now I'm looking at -

For a total of $463 not including the RAM's meager 25 cost. I was thinking I could reformat my cheap old 300gb Seagate HDD and stick it in, but I'm afraid it'd be noisier, slower, etc. I will greatly appreciate any criticisms or suggestions you can give me before I make my investment.

I'm curious as to the cost of the operating system. You do not have that listed. Last time I built a PC, it was $200 just for Windows XP Full Version. (Yeah, it's been a while).

[quote name='Koggit']if you're getting microatx mobo why not get microatx case..[/QUOTE]

Aside from limited space for expandability that MicroATX entails, I still prefer recommending the Antec Three Hundred, because I just don't feel that any MicroATX case in that price range offers the outstanding build quality and cooling performance of the Three Hundred.

[quote name='Shinpachi']For a total of $463 not including the RAM's meager 25 cost. I was thinking I could reformat my cheap old 300gb Seagate HDD and stick it in, but I'm afraid it'd be noisier, slower, etc. I will greatly appreciate any criticisms or suggestions you can give me before I make my investment.[/QUOTE]
Looks fine to me. The only thing I would change personally, would be the case, because I simply don't like the Nine Hundred. And I am pretty Intel/nVidia-centric at the moment, but, if you wanna go for AMD, that's perfectly fine. Also, I think you might as well at least try using your old HD for a while, and see if anything bothers you enough to require replacing it. I bet there isn't any reason to mothball it.

[quote name='Number83']I'm curious as to the cost of the operating system. You do not have that listed. Last time I built a PC, it was $200 just for Windows XP Full Version. (Yeah, it's been a while).[/QUOTE]

Heh...I'll leave that up to you guys...

As a temporary solution, you could always use the Windows 7 RC (which is free and full-featured until it gets crippled in March 2010):
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Windows-7/download.aspx

Also, you can get Windows Vista for $80 on Newegg right now, so, yeah...no need to spend $200 on anything.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-game,1810.html[/QUOTE]

No offense, but quite frankly, that build is kind of shit. Not to mention the fact that the article is over a year old. Thanks for the link, but it's a pretty dated and more or less useless/irrelevant article, now.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

No offense, but quite frankly, that build is kind of shit. Not to mention the fact that the article is over a year old. Thanks for the link, but it's a pretty dated and more or less useless/irrelevant article, now.[/QUOTE]

oh snap, i could have sworn that said april 2009. they always do these "cheap builds" and stuff on TH, i thought that was the most recent one, i guess i was wrong...

heres the most recent low cost build

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-e5200-radeon,2144.html

on a side note, heres the PC i built in april which i am very very happy with.

1 x ($134.99) VGA EVGA 512-P3-N873-AR 9800GTX+ RT - Retail $134.99
1 x ($11.99) CARD READER ROSEWILL|RCR-102 RTL - Retail $11.99
1 x ($49.99) MEM 2GX2|KST KHX8500AD2K2/4GR RT - Retail $49.99
1 x ($12.99) WL ADAPTER ENCORE|ENLWI-G(2) 54M R - Retail $12.99
1 x ($54.99) CASE COMPUCASE|6C28BBX585 RT - Retail $54.99
1 x ($114.99) MB GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R P45 775 R - Retail $114.99
1 x ($164.99) CPU INTEL|C2D E8400 3G 775 45N R - Retail $164.99
1 x ($59.99) HD 500G|SEAGATE ST3500418AS - OEM $59.99
1 x ($25.99) DVD BURN LITE-ON | IHAS222-06 LS % - OEM $25.99

$630 plus shipping.

You're probably right about my HDD, no point in spending $50 preemptively when this Seagate's only a couple of years old. I understand where you're coming from on the case, I'm just mostly figuring that I'll want the extra front-fan because I don't get particularly good ventilation through the top or side, with how my desk is. Also with that extra little bit of fan-power, maybe I'll be able to run the fans on a lower setting for less noise.

bread's done
Back