Another EB Games Shopping Story

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
GameSetWatch via Evil Avatar

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2007/01/on_the_wisdom_of_some_eb_emplo.php

I know that most people probably experience something similar at least every other trip to EB/GS, but this guy documented it well.

EB Manager: Welcome to EB. I can help you with anything you want, except getting a Wii. We don't have any so don't even bother asking. (Note: I kid you not -- this was the greeting I got when walking in the door.)

Me: I'm good. I already got one.

EB Manager: You did? Where'd you get it?

Me: Here. I pre-ordered for launch. Actually, I was able to get four of them.

EB Manager: (Conspiratorially) eBay?

Me: No. I had my wife pre-order one at another store. And I got another couple from a friend.

EB Manager: Did you eBay those?
Read the whole thing. Is it just me or does the author come across a wee bit pompous? Of course the EB employees are ridiculously out of line, but does this guy really need to give them his resume? I would have just walked out of the store in disgust.

I've been to a hell of lot of game stores (when I lived in NYC) and heard plenty of stupid shit.
Not once did I say, "I'm CheapyD from CheapAssGamer.com", have you heard of me?

[quote name='CheapyD']Is it just me or does the author come across a wee bit pompous? Of course the EB employees are ridiculously out of line, but does this guy really need to give them his resume? I would have just walked out of the store in disgust.[/QUOTE]

I would have been the other guy in the store telling the author that he was wrong about the Halo 3 beta... and to stop being an ass.

Customer: When does Halo 3 come out?

EB Manager: This summer, I think. But if you pre-order Crackdown, you get a Halo 3 demo with it.

Me: (Turning to customer.) You don't actually get a demo. You can get a chance to enter the Halo 3 multi-player beta test. Still, there's no guarantee you'll get on the beta list. You just get an invitation to register.
Yeah, I thought he was wrong about that...and he is.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/758/758236p1.html
[quote name='IGN']
A Microsoft representative confirmed to IGN that every copy of the initial run of Crackdown includes an invite to the Halo 3 beta.[/quote]

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']This guy must have an amazingly good memory. I'm sure he changed some of the dialogue to make himself seem oh so much better.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking as well. I mean had it been an exhange of a few sentences I could believe that's exactly how it went down but I really doubt he could remember the specific conversation that well and more than likely just filled in stuff to make the story fit his opinion.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's what I was thinking as well. I mean had it been an exhange of a few sentences I could believe that's exactly how it went down but I really doubt he could remember the specific conversation that well and more than likely just filled in stuff to make the story fit his opinion.[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. Not to mention the fact he had to remember it all through Dinner with his wife,unless he pulled out a pad at the restaurant to jot it down :)

Heh, it started out reasonable, but when you start correcting employees on EVERYTHING, they're gonna get annoyed.

I also like how the customer has no clue about a 360 or PS3, and yet wants to know if they play Blu-Ray. Not sure if I buy that one.

Sounds like the story was embellished a bit to read better, which is fine. No ones gonna read his account if it isnt interesting.

I have to admit that I've overheard some "interesting" comments to other customers in EB/GS before as well. Most of the time the ppl that work at the ones around here (at least the people I've regularly dealt with) are pretty knowledgeable and cool with customers.

I've been helpful to a couple of customers before too thou. Sometimes it's just so hard to see someone struggling with not knowing anything about a game they are thinking about purchasing...ya know, like in that you feel embarrassed for them American Idol sort of way...lol. The one I've heard most often is usually the parent talking to their child who "wants" a game, but, neither of them really knows anything about it (yes, people STILL are out purchasing games just by looking at the pictures on the box).

Anywho, I figure if I can help steer someone in the right direction, then I've done a good deed for the day...lol.

*side note: My favorite GS story is still the one where a boy wanted to buy an N64 game (Conker's Bad Fur Day) and the clerk/manager pointed out to his mom it was a mature title and listed off some of the reasons why. The boy did the typical beg Mom thing to see if he could still have it. Mom's response was "Sure, you can buy it. (pause, wait for it) You just can't play it until your 18. :}

My reaction to the managers opening line would have been: "Yeah, those Wiis are damn hard to find!" Said in a good natured way. You gain nothing by antagonizing the employees. Sounds like this guy managed to piss off the manager in under 1 minute. Big surprise he didn't go out of his way to help him out. I'd agree that manager was pretty bad, though. I guess he's the type that figures if he doesn't know the right answer, better quickly make something up that sounds right. But I guess I never really count on the workers at EB, Best Buy, a car dealership, wherever to really give me the straight story about any product. They may just want to sell me something, ya know?

I've been in EB/GS four or five times over the past couple months and haven't been hassled once. Only rarely do they even ask if I'd like to sign up for whatever card or whatever it is they sell or if I'd want disc protection. I just say "No thanks" and they drop it.

I am disappointed that they've never asked me "Do you have your trades?" I thought that was corporate dogma!

Me: I used to make games. I also do some work for a gaming news website. You ever heard of Gamasutra?

Customer: No.

Me: Gamasutra is more about the business of making games. If you're interested in the game industry, you should check it out.

:roll: Wow, does free head from Paris Hilton come with that job?

It seems more like the author was upset that no one had heard of his precious little gaming site and he wanted to make the employees feel stupid because of it - almost like a vendetta.

I'm sure if the manager had gone "Gamingsutra? Evil Avatar? Those are my two favorite sites!!" the author wouldn't have been an asshole at all.

It sucks to name drop and well, nobody knows what you're name dropping *for*.

And yea, why would he hang around the store if they didn't have the game he wanted anyways? I know he wanted to meet his wife there, but why didn't he just call his wife as soon as they didn't have the game?

Gamesutra sucks BTW, their articles are horrid.

But seriously, this guy is just the kind of customer people hate, the know it all who trys to do your job.

[quote name='bobo2k4']I wonder if he does the same thing at Burger King.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

*interrupts conversation*
"ACTUALLY, you do have to pay extra for a milk shake in a value meal. I work at gamasutra, ever heard of it?"

It should of ended after the Hotel Dusk part, after that he became the annoying one. If I was the manger/employee I would of told him to mind his own fucking business already.

[quote name='Apossum']:lol:

*interrupts conversation*
"ACTUALLY, you do have to pay extra for a milk shake in a value meal. I work at gamasutra, ever heard of it?"[/quote]

That comment made me spit out my soda. :applause:

Ive been in similar situations before with other customers but i just keep my mouth shut.

I used to work at best buy and honestly, i kept up way more with gaming before and after i had my job then when i was working at it. Sure i might have said some dumb or incorrect shit but its not like i did it purposely.

Although i admit, the ps3 controller being the same as the wii is kinda outta hand there. So is playing games during a procedure though lol.

Yeah, I think we've all overheard these conversations between game store employee and costumer. But know your line, don't jump into the conversation in an attempt to discredit the person working there and to make yourself feel "superior."

Now after reading this article, I think of Tom Kim as Iggins from Invader Zim:

iggins2.jpg

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

[quote name='yukine']Yeah, I think we've all overheard these conversations between game store employee and costumer. But know your line, don't jump into the conversation in an attempt to discredit the person working there and to make yourself feel "superior."

Now after reading this article, I think of Tom Kim as Iggins from Invader Zim:

iggins2.jpg

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

And CAG is the Gaz that tears him a new one.

Man, that reminds me of the people that used to hang out in the comic book shop where I worked in high school. Same conversation...different products. I wouldn't give the 'stink eye' as he put it, but the conversation would end something like this....

Know-it-all:....and that's why Superman can't wear an earring and this picture is false
Now bored customer: oh
Me: hey champ, can you go in there and get me a roll of quarters?
Know-it-all: it's locked
Me: Oh that's right, you don't have a key because you don't work here. The library's on High about 5 blocks south if you're looking to do some casual reading.

To further add, if this guy came into my store acting like this, I would have kicked him out.

"Oh I got 4 Wiis, that means you should suck on my dong."

:roll:

The funny thing is that it seems pretty clear he wrote the piece thinking that everyone would think he was right and the manager was wrong, but he totally comes off like a prick.

[quote name='Kuros']To further add, if this guy came into my store acting like this, I would have kicked him out.

"Oh I got 4 Wiis, that means you should suck on my dong."

:roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the way the author says "4 actually" shows you that he's just itching for an argument.

[quote name='icruise']The funny thing is that it seems pretty clear he wrote the piece thinking that everyone would think he was right and the manager was wrong, but he totally comes off like a prick.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is everyone that replies to the article initially has the "you're so right, EB sucks" attitude but then this post goes up:

Um, you're wrong about the Halo 3 Beta.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/758/758236p1.html

Then again, you could just stop being an elitist asshole. Who cares if you worked on video games. These people get paid $8 bucks an hour, with no commission.

I know more about computers than most Best Buy employees, but I work for GE getting paid 3 times what they do. I dont walk in there and act like I'm their God.

and things start going completely negative toward the author. Someone even linked this thread and said they agree with us.

Seriously, whenever i am perusing the used game section and happan to hear something ridiculous by either a customer or employee, i just laugh to myself and say nothnig about it, i dont think it is my place to point out others errors no matter how erroneous.

Me: Bungie Software. They make Halo.
EB Manager: I thought Microsoft made Halo.
Me: Bungie's the developer. They're a first-party dev for Microsoft.
EB Manager: What?
Me: Never mind. You're right. Microsoft made Halo.

Its sad how ignorant most GS/EB people are.

I got a story.

The EB near me (near my campus, in walking distance) usually has some pretty decent deals, and I know a few people who work there, so I go in there fairly often.

But, if I see the manager working, I don't even go inside. Why? He's effing insane. Never mind that I've been in there and he's given me the same speech multiple times, he never fails to do it every goddamned time i go in there.

It goes like this:

Me, looking for the PC edition of Oblivion CE two days after release on a whim:
"Hey, I was looking for the Oblvion Collectors Edition?"

Him: Did you preorder?

Me: No, I wasn't really planning on getting it, but I'm kind of interested now, so I thought I'd ask.

Him: Ya gotta preorder! I tell everyone that comes in here that you have to preorder! $5 down guarantees you a copy of the game the day it comes out, but no one does it! Then people get mad at me when we don't have any.

Me: Right...well, like I said, it was kind of a sporadic thing, I didn't have much interest in the CE until recently.

Him: Ya gotta preorder! I swear, these guys come in here and have enough money to spend on gas, driving around to 8 different stores in the area to check on a title, but they can't afford to put $5 down. I'm the manager, and do you think I preorder every game I want? You bet!

Me: Ok, well, thanks.

Him: At any given time I have about 4-5 games on preorder, to make sure that there are copies of the game that I want when they come out! I tell everyone, because otherwise they get mad at ME because I'm the manager and it's "my" responsibility. Well, guess what? If no one puts pre-orders in, then they don't send us many copies!

And this seriously happens every fucking time I go in there, without fail. Even if i'm looking for something used that I didn't have the opportunity to preorder, (we're talking old-ass GBA games), the inevitable "are there any games you'd like to preorder?" comes in, I tell him, "no thanks, I'm fine," and I get that goddamned speech again.

I can't imagine how his co-workers feel.

[quote name='johnnypark']I got a story.

The EB near me (near my campus, in walking distance) usually has some pretty decent deals, and I know a few people who work there, so I go in there fairly often.

But, if I see the manager working, I don't even go inside. Why? He's effing insane. Never mind that I've been in there and he's given me the same speech multiple times, he never fails to do it every goddamned time i go in there.

It goes like this:

Me, looking for the PC edition of Oblivion CE two days after release on a whim:
"Hey, I was looking for the Oblvion Collectors Edition?"

Him: Did you preorder?

Me: No, I wasn't really planning on getting it, but I'm kind of interested now, so I thought I'd ask.

Him: Ya gotta preorder! I tell everyone that comes in here that you have to preorder! $5 down guarantees you a copy of the game the day it comes out, but no one does it! Then people get mad at me when we don't have any.

Me: Right...well, like I said, it was kind of a sporadic thing, I didn't have much interest in the CE until recently.

Him: Ya gotta preorder! I swear, these guys come in here and have enough money to spend on gas, driving around to 8 different stores in the area to check on a title, but they can't afford to put $5 down. I'm the manager, and do you think I preorder every game I want? You bet!

Me: Ok, well, thanks.

Him: At any given time I have about 4-5 games on preorder, to make sure that there are copies of the game that I want when they come out! I tell everyone, because otherwise they get mad at ME because I'm the manager and it's "my" responsibility. Well, guess what? If no one puts pre-orders in, then they don't send us many copies!

And this seriously happens every fucking time I go in there, without fail. Even if i'm looking for something used that I didn't have the opportunity to preorder, (we're talking old-ass GBA games), the inevitable "are there any games you'd like to preorder?" comes in, I tell him, "no thanks, I'm fine," and I get that goddamned speech again.

I can't imagine how his co-workers feel.[/QUOTE]

I have a manager down here (Vcu) that acts the same exact way that you just described.

The whole thing just seemed like he's advertising himself but he comes off like a big loser. It's like he wanted to be treated like an effin rock star the moment he came in the door. Look, I have 4 Wiis. I worked for Bungie. I know all about the Halo 3 beta. The manager should've asked him why he downgraded from Bungie to gamasutra.com. That would've put him in his place.

[quote name='pHi ||']I have a manager down here (Vcu) that acts the same exact way that you just described.[/quote]

That's probably because it's the same guy... I go to VCU, too. The Broad St EB right?

[quote name='gaelan']reminds me of nick burns for some reason...all that was missing from the dialogue was...Oh by the way, YOUR WELCOME

pcguy.jpg
[/quote]

[quote name='pHi ||']I have a manager down here (Vcu) that acts the same exact way that you just described.[/quote]
The same exact way? That's probably because it's the same guy, I go to VCU too! The EB on Broad right?

It always amuses me when people write stories to demonstrate how they are so much smarter than a 16-year-old working part-time at the mall, making $7/hr, whose only job requirement is that he can use a cash register.

[quote name='techstar25']It always amuses me when people write stories to demonstrate how they are so much smarter than a 16-year-old working part-time at the mall, making $7/hr, whose only job requirement is that he can use a cash register.[/quote]

To be fair, the article was centered around the manager. You're right, the other guy working there (who was equally clueless) was probably a lot younger and just trying to make some money, but the manager is probably at least in his mid to late 20's.

The manager I talked about in my post (2 posts above) is at least 30, and really he's just (let me say it again) fucking insane.

At least your manager is nice, the one at mine's assistant manager is the jerk. At Wii launch, someone was taking pics of each other, not the store, outside while we were waiting. Well he comes out there and tells them, "If you dont stop taking pictures, I'm calling the fucking cops"

He's such a dick, that's why I usually go to the one in the mall because the guy in there is an ex hippie and he's real cool

[quote name='johnnypark']The same exact way? That's probably because it's the same guy, I go to VCU too! The EB on Broad right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah

I hvae no idea, but i think he just really needs the numbers to keep his job. I understand since Eb/GS puts so much pressure on their employees (me being one of them) but I think that he is a little overaggressive at times.

If one of the employees is dead wrong I usually speak up, but for the most part I try to stay out of EB and GS.

Its not cool to lie or make stuff up if you don't know.

One time a guy was asking about Big Brain Academy, what the difference between that and Brain Age was. The employee said it was a cheap knock off. I had to say something because I thought BBA was a better value and had more games.

For the most part I just try to get in and out without making eye contact with anyone. Buncha freaks in those stores, on both sides of the counter.

[quote name='pHi ||']I hvae no idea, but i think he just really needs the numbers to keep his job. I understand since Eb/GS puts so much pressure on their employees (me being one of them) but I think that he is a little overaggressive at times.[/quote]
yea EB/GS seems to be run like a used car dealership.

i usually get there right before theyre going to close and its empty. when they ask if i need any help i say "I'm fine, thanks." and they just go about their own conversation. I've overheard them talk about "needing to push x by monday" or "move this many Y for z" at least half the times ive been there.

bread's done
Back