Another encounter with a GS employee

drfunk85

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Basically, it went something like this:

Me: Do you have any used copies of Wii Sports?
Him: No, they only come with the system.
Me: Yeah, I know, but like from a trade in?
Him: No, we don't accept trade ins on Wii Sports. If you want something similar, try Wii Play.
Me: I already have Wii Play, and yes, you take trade ins on Wii Sports. Your website told me this location has it in stock.
Him: You probably want Wii Play. It's the closest thing to Wii Sports.
Me: No, I have it and it's not all that much like Wii Sports. Could you just check if you have Wii Sports?
Him: We don't accept it for trade ins as game only, it has to be with the system.
Me: Yes, you do accept it. Whatever, bye.

For the record, if you didn't know, they do accept it. I went to another GS and bought a copy.

Raise your voice a bit and say "Dude, just fucking check if you have it." That should usually work for "those" kind of employees.

Yeah I had the same thing a while ago. I found a Wii sports showing as in stock on the website, so I went to that store, didn't see it on the shelf, and asked. Just like the OP, he tried to tell me it was Wii Play I was looking for, but I asked him to look up wii sports, instant pwnage as he then sheepishly dug it out of the disc box and sold it to me.

A roundhouse kick a la Mortal Kombat 3 would have worked just as well.

I was picking up a couple of used DVDs the other day and I had to pay in cash because the employee wasn't sure how to ring me up using a debit card. Even after I pointed out I think it was F8, she wouldn't try.

I know many a-store hire seasonal help, but let's try and fucking train them.

It just matters what Gamestop you go to sadly. I work with GS and we've never had a problem there with anyone, other than the usual people expecting or trying to get a discount on new or used games without paying anything, and even worse when they're dickish about it. Other than that, it sucks to hear that employee was being very unprofessional. If it was me, I'd of gone to another GS and mentioned it and ask if anything could be done about it, because GS in my eyes is supposed to be about customer service, and that should be the focus, even if it means going out of your way and such. And that's the end of my rant, but better luck next time man.

[quote name='terribledeli']A roundhouse kick a la Mortal Kombat 3 would have worked just as well.

I was picking up a couple of used DVDs the other day and I had to pay in cash because the employee wasn't sure how to ring me up using a debit card. Even after I pointed out I think it was F8, she wouldn't try.

I know many a-store hire seasonal help, but let's try and fucking train them.[/quote]

TRAIN PEOPLE?!?!?!?! C'mon now, that costs money and as we all know, Gamestop has no money to train people, not with the ass rape prices they charge on games they give you a piddily sum for. You must be kidding. Train people, what will you want next? Benefits? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

[quote name='Legend437']It just matters what Gamestop you go to sadly. I work with GS and we've never had a problem there with anyone, other than the usual people expecting or trying to get a discount on new or used games without paying anything, and even worse when they're dickish about it. Other than that, it sucks to hear that employee was being very unprofessional. If it was me, I'd of gone to another GS and mentioned it and ask if anything could be done about it, because GS in my eyes is supposed to be about customer service, and that should be the focus, even if it means going out of your way and such. And that's the end of my rant, but better luck next time man.[/quote]

You mean like those 'gutted' copies of games that the employees take home to learn all about them, then try to sell them to customers as 'new', even though they're no longer NEW once they are opened. As for the no discount thing, I don't blame you with not wanting to give a discount, but in the case of gutted games or scratched to fuckin shit copies of games, I'd say at LEAST a 10-20% no Edge card required discount is in order.

Either that or the GS manager types better train their employees to take in only good/mint/complete condition games and the company could stop being a bunch of cheap fuckin pricks and buy replacement dvd cases and print up the covers for upcoming games. You know, the internet is a wealth of information, most of it being 'free' to print up.

I honestly think no discounts should be put on gutted games, we have to display the game somehow. Usually people have no problem, and we'll put a circular tape at the store we work at, that way if that isnt broken and the customer changes their mind on their purchase, voila, we return it, since I know "unopened" games can be quite the hassle with some people(and rightfully so). But as for the discount on scratched games, its funny you mention the GS manager thing training their employees better, because I know at our store, we are very picky on trade-ins. Even if I have people who trade games and we refurbish them if they're scratched, they'll mention how it still works and everything, and that's when I reply with letting the customer know that no one wants to buy a scratched game, and I always make sure the customer knows what they get, and it is up to them if they still want to do the trade or not. I'm not sure how other stores do it, but I honestly do feel all the stores should be careful with that, especially during the holidays(because after all, who wants to buy a scratched game that has a "chance" of working, right?).

[quote name='Legend437']I honestly think no discounts should be put on gutted games, we have to display the game somehow. Usually people have no problem, and we'll put a circular tape at the store we work at, that way if that isnt broken and the customer changes their mind on their purchase, voila, we return it, since I know "unopened" games can be quite the hassle with some people(and rightfully so). But as for the discount on scratched games, its funny you mention the GS manager thing training their employees better, because I know at our store, we are very picky on trade-ins. Even if I have people who trade games and we refurbish them if they're scratched, they'll mention how it still works and everything, and that's when I reply with letting the customer know that no one wants to buy a scratched game, and I always make sure the customer knows what they get, and it is up to them if they still want to do the trade or not. I'm not sure how other stores do it, but I honestly do feel all the stores should be careful with that, especially during the holidays(because after all, who wants to buy a scratched game that has a "chance" of working, right?).[/quote]

Our local stores stopped doing those paper 'seals' a long time ago, so it must be only your area that still does that. As for the sealed/gutted thing, if Toys R Us can shell out for blank dvd cases for all(or most anyway) of their stores to use with printups that the game companies probably provide(hence the no UPC on the back of the display cases usually), then WHY can't Gamestop?

I'm sure with the sheer volume of stores they have, they could buy enough cases in bulk to afford enough of them for all of their stores and have them cost mere pennies each. THAT would be a far better solution than opening a NEW copy of a game and putting the case, artwork and manual out on the floor and risking them disappearing or getting trashed, as I've seen happen MANY times.

Or, better yet, take some of the shit copies of games that are brought back as defective, junk out the games, manuals and artwork and use the cases from those to display printed up copies of the artwork from upcoming games.

Is that REALLY such a hard task for Gamestop to do? If other companies can do it, then WHY CAN'T THEY?

I've bought several 'gutted' games before and the games had fingerprints and smudges all over the disc(s). To me, that will NEVER be 'new', so I damn sure better get a discount of at LEAST $5 off the price of a $50 game for taking someones used shit that in THEIR opinion is still 'new'.

Gamestops customer unfriendly policies are the main reason I tout going to FYE and Transworld's stores so much because while they may be priced higher on many things, you can still find a deal and their games come complete and look great. You don't have to worry about a game 'possibly not working'.

And, I certainly hope that if your store is charging people a refurb fee to take in messed up games, that they're actually doing the refurbishing they say they're doing on them, unlike the dickheads here who just chuck the scratched games up on the shelf with no real effort to 'fix' them.

I can always count on hearing a few choice, entertaining stories when I go to the GameStop in my area. Last two I remember specifically...

A guy brought a copy of Manhunt 2 for the PS@ to the counter and asked what it was all about. The GameStop rep told him that he wasn't sure what the second game was about; however he played the first Manhunt game and it was a MMO game where players run around trying to kill each other and that he assumed the second game would be more of the same.

Next time I went in, a young kid and his mom came in with one of the new Silver PSPs they recently bought and asked the GameStop rep how to get it connected online. He told them to connect it to the computer using a USB cable and not only would that let the PSP access the Internet, but that he could also use the PSP as a wireless router for other devices.

Excellent customer service across the board.

customer unfriendly policies
FYE and Transworld's stores

Gamestop cannot compare to this franchise. EVERYONE who works for this company is some mega twat of epic proportions. No one is willing to help you unless you're an idiot customer who buys whatever. They have shitty service. Luckily the last thing I did with that franchise is fucking hose them on the Helio deal to net $500. Even still, that was a major pain in the ass.

[quote name='davo1224']Gamestop cannot compare to this franchise. EVERYONE who works for this company is some mega twat of epic proportions. No one is willing to help you unless you're an idiot customer who buys whatever. They have shitty service. Luckily the last thing I did with that franchise is fucking hose them on the Helio deal to net $500. Even still, that was a major pain in the ass.[/quote]

Just like any store, you have to shop there often enough to get to know people to get any kind of service. The service in many stores is shit, imo. Not once did I even get half approached at Best Buy yesterday and asked for help, even though I had a look on my face like 'I need to ask a question'. So, so much for their new 'customercentricity' bullshit.

Gamestop, by comparison, is a shithole where they try to ass rape you on trade values, whore out the newest big name titles(while ignoring the smaller releases like Fire Pro Wrestling Returns or The Adventures Of Darwin)by bugging the shit out of you to pre order and sell you gutted copies of 'new' games that have smudges and fingerprints all over the damned things.

No, by comparison, FYE is a BAD chain compared to them.:roll::roll::roll:

You may pay a little more, but as they say 'you get what you pay for' and I'd rather pay more and know that their stuff will work, rather than have to go back 3-5 times like many did with their $50 Xbox systems they bought with the coupon from Gamestop.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not once did I even get half approached at Best Buy yesterday and asked for help, even though I had a look on my face like 'I need to ask a question'. [/quote] Are you fucking joking? What a ridiculous thing to say.

I agree with most of your grievances, and I'm sure that there's a good chance that the employees there would have been pretty worthless even if they were to attempt to help you, but they can't read your fucking mind, man. If you have a question, don't have "a look on your face like you need to ask a question"--go ask it!

Re-visit this forum to make your complaint post once they're no help at all, sure, but don't expect them to be psychic.

[quote name='garfep']Are you fucking joking? What a ridiculous thing to say.

I agree with most of your grievances, and I'm sure that there's a good chance that the employees there would have been pretty worthless even if they were to attempt to help you, but they can't read your fucking mind, man. If you have a question, don't have "a look on your face like you need to ask a question"--go ask it!

Re-visit this forum to make your complaint post once they're no help at all, sure, but don't expect them to be psychic.[/quote]

Actually, I did end up eventually asking after exhausting my own options. The battery section by the cordless phones looked empty almost. And, wouldn't it figure, I needed a P513, they had a P511,512 and even a P510. I swear, my battery and phone must've been discontinued.

See the only bad experiences I've had with Gamestop were:

A.) One guy undercutting me on every item because I brought in a lot of stuff for the $20 trade in on consoles/40% more on games and he didn't think that Gamecube stuff should get so much value because it's last gen. Until opinion becomes law there, that guy can eat a bag of dicks and I believe he either quit/got fired which is good.

B.) Another guy who wouldn't let me return stuff unless it was for store credit even though I had the receipt and what I was trying to return was used, not new. He didn't want to lose a sale to the point of where he was actually insulting me. He ended up losing it, getting bitched out, and subsequently fired.

That's in comparison to a bad experience EVERY time I'm in an FYE. I've had people try and run game on me every time I'm in that store. There's only one girl in the 10 different stores in my area that consistently knows the specials, how to ring/look stuff up, and how to talk to someone like she has some semblance of charisma/personal skills. Some choice examples of bad times I've had there:

A.) Them: This item won't scan so I have to look it up.
Me: No problem.
Them: I shouldn't have to do this.
Me: Yeah I know, I hate the scanners at my job too.
Them: I'm only gonna give you a $1 because it takes too long to find
Me: *grabs the same thing from the shelf*
Them: *scans it and it still doesn't work*. Yeah just a $1.
Me: Well how do you ring it up to sell it?
Them: We look it up and then it gives us the SKU number
Me: *wonders why this idiot can't put two and two together*

B.) Me: *trades in two DVDs that can scan*
Them: It comes out to be $19.
Me: Yeah I'll take it.
Them: You have an extra $1?
Me: Nah sorry.
Them: *laughes* I guess if you did, you wouldn't be trading this in.
Me: Yeah that $1 is the reason I'm in poverty and not financially secure.
Them: Don't worry, lots of poor people come in here.
Me: #-o

C.) Me: Hey which games are $10 off?
Them: I dunno.
Me: Can you check?
Them: I said I don't know.
Me: Don't expect you to know off the top of your head but can you check?
Them: No I'm busy.

D.) Me: Hi I just want to return this *hands over receipt*
Them: Did you already play it?
Me: Yeah I did. I ended up getting it somewhere else cheaper.
Them: Well then I can't return it.
Me: .....Why not?
Them: We can only return new items.
Me: It hasn't been opened.
Them: You said you already played it.
Me: THE OTHER ONE I BOUGHT ELSEWHERE.
Them: :D Oh ok big difference!

That last one had me wondering if that chick substitutes meth for sugar.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

And, I certainly hope that if your store is charging people a refurb fee to take in messed up games, that they're actually doing the refurbishing they say they're doing on them, unlike the dickheads here who just chuck the scratched games up on the shelf with no real effort to 'fix' them.[/quote]

This happened to me recently when I went to a GS on vacation. They had a copy of SMT: Nocturne. The disc looked like it had been cleaned with steel wool. It was all scratched to hell.

Refurb fees: just another way to help GS increase their quarterly profits.

If a fucking game is scratched, here's an idea: don't fucking accept it when someone tries to trade it in! Better yet, don't fucking accept "disc only" games. :bomb:

[quote name='davo1224']
B.) Me: *trades in two DVDs that can scan*
Them: It comes out to be $19.
Me: Yeah I'll take it.
Them: You have an extra $1?
Me: Nah sorry.
Them: *laughes* I guess if you did, you wouldn't be trading this in.
Me: Yeah that $1 is the reason I'm in poverty and not financially secure.
Them: Don't worry, lots of poor people come in here.
Me: #-o
[/QUOTE]

Hilarious, but wow what a tool.

All in all sometimes I feel bad for EB/GS employee's along with any other new and used video game retailers out there.

And for some of you that get shafted or attitudes or whatever got to think af a few things before hand...

They get every Tom,Dick, and Harry in that store, they are asked ever single dumb ass question possible, people come in and either they do it or thier kids do it and trash the place and leave it. People argue about trade in values, people argue about return polices, people argue about something not being in stock.. So by the time you get in the door they probably just need 5 mins but never get the time so they get pissy which about 90% of people out there would. I will say though some people are just idiots and game stores should not hire people without gaming experience...

Last Black Friday I was in line at Ebgames waiting for the place to open to take advantage of the 360 deal they had going on and the first 10 people in line were there for Wii's and they did a quick head tally.Well when the doors opened one register helped those people as the other one. Some ghetto fab guy actually let a guy pay him to get in line for the Wii's and with the store being busy the employee's did not notice and the original 10th person in line got shafted and he went ape shit on the employee's and they actually had to call the cops to get him to leave. Now at 7am or anytime of the day/night the employee's did not derserve that and they do not get compensated for having to deal with shit like that.

I am lucky because I have a EB/GS I go to on a regular basis and they all know me from coming in so much and they all play games which is kind of nice because they all play some different things. They are helpful, they always greet when you walk in and they will tell me to avoid a game if it sucks. Well yesterday I went in there for a little field research lol to check out a Slim PSP and get a feel for it to see If it might be something I want for Xmas.. well they did not have one on display so he went and unpackaged a used fat and slim one for me to get the feel of and even let me try out a used game they had laying around .. Now to me that was fantastic customer service.

so just sometimes think of what they deal with along with any other major retail employee's out there. I know you can say they know what they are getting into by working retail but retail employee's are just as human as everyone else and they have feelings and people need to consider that sometimes instead of just letting loose on people because they probably wont see them again..

[quote name='davo1224']
D.) Me: Hi I just want to return this *hands over receipt*
Them: Did you already play it?
Me: Yeah I did. I ended up getting it somewhere else cheaper.
Them: Well then I can't return it.
Me: .....Why not?
Them: We can only return new items.
Me: It hasn't been opened.
Them: You said you already played it.
Me: THE OTHER ONE I BOUGHT ELSEWHERE.
Them: :D Oh ok big difference!
[/quote]
that is something. but seriously that sounds like a gamestop experience. and i think their brains are the size of a peanut. like pinky's brain from 'pinky and the brain'.

[quote name='Legend437']I honestly think no discounts should be put on gutted games, we have to display the game somehow. Usually people have no problem, and we'll put a circular tape at the store we work at, that way if that isnt broken and the customer changes their mind on their purchase, voila, we return it, since I know "unopened" games can be quite the hassle with some people(and rightfully so). [/QUOTE]

Funny. The government disagreed with you and Gamestop a few years ago. I am sure it will come back again.

I bought a "new" copy of Magna Carta, the map was improperly creased, the game itself had been opened (in spite of the fact that this could have been displayed while keeping the game sealed) and it had several inexcusable scratches on it. I returned it to a nearby, friendly-to-me GS and explained the situation....

Open games are not new...just like an open box of cereal isn't new, just like a dealer driven car isn't new, just like anything that has been used....isn't new.

[quote name='loserboy']Open games are not new...just like an open box of cereal isn't new, just like a dealer driven car isn't new, just like anything that has been used....isn't new.[/QUOTE]

In the world of GS/EB however "gutted" is still "new" to them. Somehow GS/EB has the powers to define things the way they want to despite what the real world would label it.

Oh, and.....

GLITTER
MAGAZINE RACK

[quote name='terribledeli']A roundhouse kick a la Mortal Kombat 3 would have worked just as well.

I know many a-store hire seasonal help, but let's try and fucking train them.[/quote]

tehically most store have cashiers not computer for registars, so therefore it takes time to get use to a computer/cashiser thing.

And there is not much tranning in retail

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Just like any store, you have to shop there often enough to get to know people to get any kind of service. The service in many stores is shit, imo. Not once did I even get half approached at Best Buy yesterday and asked for help, even though I had a look on my face like 'I need to ask a question'. So, so much for their new 'customercentricity' bullshit.

Gamestop, by comparison, is a shithole where they try to ass rape you on trade values, whore out the newest big name titles(while ignoring the smaller releases like Fire Pro Wrestling Returns or The Adventures Of Darwin)by bugging the shit out of you to pre order and sell you gutted copies of 'new' games that have smudges and fingerprints all over the damned things.

No, by comparison, FYE is a BAD chain compared to them.:roll::roll::roll:

You may pay a little more, but as they say 'you get what you pay for' and I'd rather pay more and know that their stuff will work, rather than have to go back 3-5 times like many did with their $50 Xbox systems they bought with the coupon from Gamestop.[/quote]

Thats the company itself not the store fault, You cant blame that on the store.

Well yea bigger games get better sells. They want to sell you it If you want the game just ask.

As for pre-orders its our policy to do it. T

echially we are suppose to ask if anyone wants to trade in games or system. If they have it in there hand or not.

Gutted games Finger prints complaing about? how about you complain about gas prices over a game. Comon nothing going to be 100 % perfect.

99.99 % its going to work. Or is your system.

"Refurb fees: just another way to help GS increase their quarterly profits.

If a fucking game is scratched, here's an idea: don't fucking accept it when someone tries to trade it in! Better yet, don't fucking accept "disc only" games. :bomb:"

Are policy is we do take games that are scratched in else its on the top of the game. As disc only you loose .50 cent without a cover. Though we can take them in.

[quote name='Critter']Thats the company itself not the store fault, You cant blame that on the store.

Well yea bigger games get better sells. They want to sell you it If you want the game just ask.

echially we are suppose to ask if anyone wants to trade in games or system. If they have it in there hand or not.

Gutted games Finger prints complaing about? how about you complain about gas prices over a game. Comon nothing going to be 100 % perfect.

99.99 % its going to work. Or is your system.[/quote]

What the HELL did you just say?

[quote name='opterasis']What the HELL did you just say?[/quote]

They want to sell. If they go for the lower and no know cares games. Its not going to sell.

retail want $$$$$$$$$$$

[quote name='Critter']They want to sell. If they go for the lower and no know cares games. Its not going to sell.

retail want $$$$$$$$$$$[/quote]

Could this be the triumphant return of RegalSin?

Best post Ive seen all year.

'echially' is my new favorite word. If only I no know what it meant...

[quote name='Critter']Thats the company itself not the store fault, You cant blame that on the store.

99.99 % its going to work. Or is your system.

"Refurb fees: just another way to help GS increase their quarterly profits.

If a fucking game is scratched, here's an idea: don't fucking accept it when someone tries to trade it in! Better yet, don't fucking accept "disc only" games. :bomb:"

Are policy is we do take games that are scratched in else its on the top of the game. As disc only you loose .50 cent without a cover. Though we can take them in.[/quote]

[quote name='Demolition Man']In the world of GS/EB however "gutted" is still "new" to them. Somehow GS/EB has the powers to define things the way they want to despite what the real world would label it.

Oh, and.....

GLITTER
MAGAZINE RACK
[/QUOTE]

I was just going to ask why nobody had recommended the glitter method. Awesome. I'm not generally one for this kind of behavior, but oh man would I love to see the surveillance footage if somebody actually did employ the glitter method.

echially we are suppose to ask if anyone wants to trade in games or system. If they have it in there hand or not.[/quote]

Honestly, the one or two times they asked me if I had any games to trade, when it was clear I didn't have ANY in hand, I reached alongside me while saying this in a sarcastic tone 'yeah lemme just pull them outta the Nth dimension that I store them in. Hold on'. Honestly, it's plain stupid to ask someone NOT carrying anything in in their hands if they have trades. Sure, some people may have them out in their car, but anyone with half a brain would know they'll be getting shit for them @ Gamestop.

[quote name='Critter']Gutted games Finger prints complaing about? how about you complain about gas prices over a game. Comon nothing going to be 100 % perfect.

99.99 % its going to work. Or is your system.[/quote]

But, they're selling the fuckin thing as NEW, when in my opinion(and many others)once a game is opened, it is no longer NEW. Therefore, either they provide me with a discount for buying their manhandled 'last copy' or I find a store which WILL have a new copy that's SEALED. Not sealed? Not NEW. Although, I can tell you that I have bought used coasters from Gamestop before that worked up till the title screen, then crashed. Why? Because they looked like someone took a belt sander to the bottom of them to clean them.

So, if anything, Gamestops system is the one that's broken, not mine.

[quote name='Critter']
Are policy is we do take games that are scratched in else its on the top of the game. As disc only you loose .50 cent without a cover. Though we can take them in.[/quote]

Well then, obviously someone wasn't paying attention when they took in some of the PS1 games I've bought, since some of them had big gouges out of the top sticker on them. Unfortunately, I didn't notice them until I bought them and it was long past the two weeks. Luckily, I got most of them for 15-20 cents each, so if need be, I can use them as what many of their former owners obviously did, as frisbees or coasters.

Oh and the one douchebag employee here was trying to charge me $3 off of EACH games trade value and said they didn't qualify for the $10 trade bonus due to being disc only, yet another store less than 3 miles away from there took them in the next day and gave me the full value plus bonus. So, I really think its still just a case of if you get a dickhead employee or not.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Just like any store, you have to shop there often enough to get to know people to get any kind of service. The service in many stores is shit, imo. Not once did I even get half approached at Best Buy yesterday and asked for help, even though I had a look on my face like 'I need to ask a question'. So, so much for their new 'customercentricity' bullshit.

you just have A bad ranked best buy or B so many people in the store at once it gets crazy and then there is C alot of people expect US to come to THEM and then they complain when we dont ask if they need help, well have you people ever thought of saying "excuse me i need help" or "excuse me i have a question"

no? well then you sir are an idiot

[quote name='BullzEyE'][quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Just like any store, you have to shop there often enough to get to know people to get any kind of service. The service in many stores is shit, imo. Not once did I even get half approached at Best Buy yesterday and asked for help, even though I had a look on my face like 'I need to ask a question'. So, so much for their new 'customercentricity' bullshit.[/quote][quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

you just have A bad ranked best buy or B so many people in the store at once it gets crazy and then there is C alot of people expect US to come to THEM and then they complain when we dont ask if they need help, well have you people ever thought of saying "excuse me i need help" or "excuse me i have a question"

no? well then you sir are an idiot[/quote]

This is an excellent example of the pot calling the kettle black.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
Oh and the one douchebag employee here was trying to charge me $3 off of EACH games trade value and said they didn't qualify for the $10 trade bonus due to being disc only, yet another store less than 3 miles away from there took them in the next day and gave me the full value plus bonus. So, I really think its still just a case of if you get a dickhead employee or not.[/quote]

this guy told me the exact same thing so i said ' come on man you are breaking my balls ' and he got pissed and told me to leave the store. what a dbag!

As far as I'm concerned GS/EB can sell opened "new" games for full price when I can return opened games for full price. Until then its a bunch of hypocritical bullshit.

I especially love the look on the their face when I flat-out refuse to buy the gutted copy. I don't bother getting in battles of semantics with them anymore.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']all three of the FYE's near me sell new games "gutted" also.[/quote]

during the 50% off fye clearance deals i got arcade unplugged, gutted, and in a black box, LAME! but the disk was perfect and the 1 month card was unused so for ten bones i didnt really care.

[quote name='Rozz']

This is an excellent example of the pot calling the kettle black.[/quote]

Are you being smarmy to me or them? I'm just curious, since I know I did eventually ASK for help after I had already found the section with the cordless phones and their batteries myself(stuffed way in the back of the store near the back room entrance by the smaller SDtvs).

Oh and Gothamcentral, I've seen some Xbox/360 games with black cases before too, but really 90-95% of the games sold in FYE stores here are sealed when they're new. So, comparing that to Gamestop and their ratio of shitastic copies to good/mint copies, I'd still take FYE any day over GS.

[quote name='Deathmonkey']As far as I'm concerned GS/EB can sell opened "new" games for full price when I can return opened games for full price. Until then its a bunch of hypocritical bullshit.

I especially love the look on the their face when I flat-out refuse to buy the gutted copy. I don't bother getting in battles of semantics with them anymore.[/quote] I used to get the "but it's never been played" lecture, but lately I get the impression that most of the employees hate the practice as much as I do and don't bother to argue with me anymore. Now I just cut to the chase and ask if they have an unopened copy available. If the answer is "no" I'll politely say "thanks anyway" and leave.

[quote name='Critter']
GLITTER
MAGAZINE RACK
[/quote]
There are no magazine racks at GS, you really aren't the smartest tool in the box now, are you?
Maybe it's the glitter that you wear.

[quote name='Deathmonkey']As far as I'm concerned GS/EB can sell opened "new" games for full price when I can return opened games for full price. Until then its a bunch of hypocritical bullshit.

I especially love the look on the their face when I flat-out refuse to buy the gutted copy. I don't bother getting in battles of semantics with them anymore.[/quote]

If the store can check out games, yes, I believe it's hypocritical to sell the games as new when they've been played. However, at our store, we're not allowed to check out games, so--unless we've scratched it between opening the case and putting it into the sleeve--it's never been played.

[quote name='microbim']There are no magazine racks at GS, you really aren't the smartest tool in the box now, are you?
Maybe it's the glitter that you wear.[/quote]

Actually, some of my Gamestops here have racks in front of the registers with guides and magazines, as well as full racks with nothing but guides on them.

So, I beg to differ.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, some of my Gamestops here have racks in front of the registers with guides and magazines, as well as full racks with nothing but guides on them.

So, I beg to differ.[/QUOTE]

same here... a good kick and those GI's will go flying.

GS employee's can be real dicks. But I think that they do it to make their job fun, little pricks. It get's annoying, but then just keep on telling them the same thing over and over again, they might get it.

I remember working at EB, having to defend the gutting of games, but I always knew that I was right and the practice was bullshit. There are multiple ways for them to be both advertise the game as well as keep them safe and in the cases. You could keep them behind clear plastic cases like at Kmarts and Targets. Or you could do like Gamecrazy (where I currently work) and just make the counter stretch along the circumferance of the room and have the games displayed on shelves behind the counter. That way the can stay wrapped and still be on display without risk of shoplifting. If you honestly think a practice being made by a company is bullshit, even if it's your own employer, don't feel the need to defend it. Selling gutted games as new is bullshit. End of story.

Critter, I see why you will be working at GameStop the rest of your life. A 3rd grade education will only get you so far in life. I will not bash many of the GameStop employees, seeing as I have worked at one before and it a terrible job. It is the GameStop policies which many of us question here, we all know it is BS whether you like it or not. I love that look the employee gives me when I ask for a game and say "I would like it sealed or not at all" and they dig through the games and find the gutted copy, start pulling it out and I say "no thank you, I already said I will only buy it if it sealed." Anyways, do not bash all employees for the ones that make mistakes, if you have ever worked retail, you should understand. How would you like it if a person came into your place of business, let their children run around, tear up the store, then complain against you because you did not allow them to continue on with that? I still am currently in retail, but hopefully not much longer since I am finishing up with my schooling. Try working at a TRU, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. and see if you feel the same when you get treated like you are not a person. You can be extremely nice to someone and because they are in a bad mood, you get cursed at and get in trouble with management because the "customer is not happy." Well, to end my rant, try thinking about how you would like to be treated if the situation were the other way around. It is not like the lower employees can make all the decisions or change company policies.

i refuse to buy a gutted copy. not sure why they would even waste the time to even bother trying to sell it. when i worked at funcoland we use to be able to take games home or put them in the different systems. but once that was the last copy you got 10% off being as it was opened and a store demo copy. that is the way things should run.

bread's done
Back