Another "help me pick best parts for pc" thread

guyver2077

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Alright so I am trying to start from scratch again and build a nice set up.

My last setup (only a few months ago) has been my worst build ever. I am so turned off by it that I am trying to sell each individual component and start from scratch. My evga 780i mobo has been the most unstable motherboard I have ever owned.

So what is the best ddr2 motherboard out there. I usually only go with nvidia chipsets because of sli and my great experience with them but now im not so sure about buying it again.

I look at the usual sites (toms, etc) but theres just so many boards out there. I have been looking at the top of the line asus boards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

5 star reviews and proven to be good. Its a crossfire board though so it means no sli if i ever want it.

Here is what I have right now:

q6600
9800 gtx
dominator memory (probably the only component I will keep for the new build)

What do you guys think?

That's a monster motherboard, if you have the money it's probably a great choice. I would get rid of the 9800GTX and move completely to ATI-Intel setup. You already a quad core, and picked out an Intel chipset motherboard, now the last step for you is to rid of the 9800GTX and get the ATI HD 4870. You can crossfire with another 4870 later on if you want.

I'm amazed you had a problem with the EVGA. They usually build quality products. But anyway, as it's been said, if you go with the ASUS board, get an ATI card instead of nvidia. If you want to keep your 9800, you could get a high-end MSI board, which are almost always SLI compatible.

I thought i had read reviews on the latest msi boards and they werent so good.
I have always been a msi backer. Never ever had a problem with any msi product. I really only want either an msi or asus because they have always been reliable.

i am scared of getting another evga board (780i chipset). Maybe I just got a problematic board though..

I have also never purchased an ati card in my life.. ive always been an old school nvidia fan.. so it makes it extra hard to go to ati. I was also hardcore amd and went intel with this last setup.

I am also trying to sell the q6600 and get a qx9550.

(the 30% live cash back is the best time to go bonkers on parts) :)

[quote name='SOSTrooper']...now the last step for you is to rid of the 9800GTX and get the ATI HD 4870. You can crossfire with another 4870 later on if you want.[/quote]

I second that, but it can also wait if you don't want to break the $500 mark buying both the mobo and video card at the same time. You're ok with the 9800GTX for now.

I'd wait for a bit of a price drop, say like $225 or lower vs the current $270ish, before jumping ship.

anyone know what chipset to go with? x48 vs p45? I used to be on top of this stuff but theres just so damn my differences now...

and yea worse case ill stick with 9800 gtx a little while longer.. im mostly looking for a new board just so I can get my rig up...

X48 gives you 2 full PCI-Express X16 2.0 Crossfire capability, while the P45 gives you 2 PCI-Express X8 2.0 capability (half bandwidth) when Crossfired. The performance difference is most noticeable when running games at higher resolution (1920x1200) and at high details with AA turned on.

You can read a detailed benchmark comparison here.

wait for i7, buy a gtx280.

I have had 2 friends buy 4870's and BOTH have overheated. Combined with ATi's shitty driver support, I would steer clear of the 4870.
GTX 280 might be a bit more, but its a ton more reliable then ATi's current offerings.

be happy.

[quote name='guyver2077']im about to jump on the asus mobo that i originally posted.. i want to jump on it before the live cash % gets lower...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131284

anything im forgetting? any drawbacks? im just looking around for something thats proven to be solid..

edit.. ill hold off a little while longer..i may be able to exchange my current 780i board[/quote]

Just might want to consider this MB with the 30% off ebay/live offer. I got it for $220 shipped from Mwave. Good luck.

Well i got my pc up and running and just in time too..

October looks like a great month for pc gaming..!!!

QX9550
EVGA 780I SLI FTW
NIRVANA NV120 COOLER
9800 GTX
seagate .11 series
corsair txw 750 watt ps

I decided to give evga another shot and try the ftw boards. no problems so far.

Is there any truth to the "it takes a few days for thermal paste to settle in" argument?

[quote name='guyver2077']Well i got my pc up and running and just in time too..

October looks like a great month for pc gaming..!!!

QX9550
EVGA 780I SLI FTW
NIRVANA NV120 COOLER
9800 GTX
seagate .11 series
corsair txw 750 watt ps

I decided to give evga another shot and try the ftw boards. no problems so far.

Is there any truth to the "it takes a few days for thermal paste to settle in" argument?[/QUOTE]
Its true to the same extent as "burning in" your CPU. Technically yea, but doesn't make much of a difference.

bread's done
Back