Another One Bites The Dust

GrilledWitOnions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I was laid off yesterday. No idea it was coming. Well, some idea I guess, but it seemed farther off.

I worked at a document delivery place, very small company of about 13-15 people. I just got the job about 4 months ago, doing data entry - basically people would write emails saying I want this citation, I would enter it into our system, help find it at the library, etc. It was a GREAT job, having everything I've always wanted - decent enough pay, good hours (technically was supposed to be full time but I went home half an hour early a lot in the last few months (nearly all my time working there) because orders were so slow - an indicator of what was coming). Sat in a nice comfy chair at a computer basically doing what I love to do - use a computer. I had a friend there from elementary school on (pretty much how I got the job), and another friend I knew from Blockbuster. Everyone else seemed to like me and I liked them.
Had my 3-month performance review in December, and basically did great. No major issues and so I thought, well if they were going to let me go now would be the time. I guess they wanted to wait until after Christmas, which was nice of them I guess.
Then yesterday everyone got sent home a bit early and I was called into the conference room and told the bad news. Due to economic hardship I was being let go. They said they were projecting 350 or more orders a day when I started, and it was now usually below 150 - there just wasn't enough money coming in to keep things going the way they were. The partners/ceo said they had made many cuts already, like salary cuts and such, and this was a hard decision but basically I was last one in, I'm the first to go, nothing personal (and for what it's worth I believe them). They said if orders pick up or somebody leaves/quits/gets fired, I'd be called right back in and there would be no interview or waiting period for benifits etc.

So now I have to find a new job in an already terrible economy with other people being laid off right and left. My experience is mainly retail and I really didn't want to have to consider that again. This was the best job ever, I was great at it, and now it's gone. To top it all off, I just got a cell phone, started renting a home with two other people (with all the bills that that entails), and of course have my car and insurance to worry about. I am basically screwed. I know others are too, but it sucks to have happen to you.

[quote name='MisterModest']Everything's NOT Coming Up Millhouse! Not comping up Millhouse, at all![/quote]
Too true. Guess it's time to find a new quote. :p

Sucks to hear about this kind of thing, but keep your head up and do what you have to (retail) to take care of the bills til the next real opportunity.

Dude that sucks, hope you find something.

Yeah, I was looking to pick up a part time job because my video work is going so slow and even that is a hard feat to pull off.

Good luck man.

That definitely sucks, GrilledWitOnions. :whistle2:( Good luck in finding employment. While it may be difficult, it's not impossible. Keep your head up. :)

Got a job today in a call-center sorta thing - not sure how many people will be there, but I basically answer the phone and tell people about some toe-fungus laser removal thing. At the interview they said there is no outbound calling except to check on how it went for those that decide to do it. I'm sorta wary that there will be more here than I was told, but I really need work and this is definitely not bad.
Kind of worried I will lose some unemployment because I'm working - I'm pretty sure you can get unemployment when you are part time, but it was already very little, and I really need it with this job, until I can find FT work.
I start tomorrow, so wish me luck!

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Got a job today in a call-center sorta thing - not sure how many people will be there, but I basically answer the phone and tell people about some toe-fungus laser removal thing. At the interview they said there is no outbound calling except to check on how it went for those that decide to do it. I'm sorta wary that there will be more here than I was told, but I really need work and this is definitely not bad.
Kind of worried I will lose some unemployment because I'm working - I'm pretty sure you can get unemployment when you are part time, but it was already very little, and I really need it with this job, until I can find FT work.
I start tomorrow, so wish me luck![/QUOTE]

Good luck. I work at an inbound call center as well.

People can be douchebags, so be prepared!

[quote name='whoknows']Good luck. I work at an inbound call center as well.

People can be douchebags, so be prepared![/quote]
Yah I hear yah. I'm hoping I didn't lose all my unfaith in mankind I had when I worked retail. Oh but maybe I'll have some stories again for the customer stories thread!

Good luck to you and everyone else going through this kind of thing. Times are definitely going to be hard, but here's to pulling through and seeing you all on the other side in the end.

~HotShotX

Update: A major job lead I had has let me down. I am not working still. I am running through some car insurance money fast. I am in a bad situation.

I had a PT job at a call center for a few weeks before it was shut down by the FDA (or so I heard). Apparently I get that job back on the 6th.... I hate it. I really was hoping to get this other job... two interviews, it seemed like it went well. Life just keeps kicking me in the balls.

Update - got a job, finally. My moneys about to run out, so this is super good timing.

F/T, only $9/hr, but it's enough to get by. I'll be a dispatcher for a plumbing company.
The job itself seems pretty cool; casual dress, M-F 8-5, hour lunch, and there is a pool table in the back. So, hopefully I not only found a job but one that I can stand for a bit as well :D

Thanks for the support CAG, I love this forum.

Congrats on the new job.

I was just laid off last Wednesday from a large company where I worked for 11 years. I've got an interview coming up in a few weeks which I am praying goes through because besides that, I have no leads at all.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']Congrats on the new job.

I was just laid off last Wednesday from a large company where I worked for 11 years. I've got an interview coming up in a few weeks which I am praying goes through because besides that, I have no leads at all.[/QUOTE]
Good luck, let us know how it goes. I'm sure with a solid work history like yours you won't have too much trouble. Mines a little sketchy; not because I can't stay with a job but this last year I just hopped around too much. 11 years says something though.

bread's done
Back