Another question about the 25% deal at Gamestop

Keirnoth

CAGiversary!
Some guy posted a trick on the Video Game Deals forum about taking advantage of the 25% deal.

1) Add the pre-order for D.C. Universe Collector's Edition, which retails for $99.99 but ships on Nov 2010 to your cart.
2) Add any other in-stock games that you want the discount to be applied to.
3) Add SAVER for free shipping as icing on the cake.
4) After your in-stock items ship, cancel the order for D.C. Universe.

Now normally, you cannot apply this code to preorders (obviously), but when I tried this out in the shopping cart, the code worked, and the 25% was taken off of the instock items.

But of course, I don't want to commit $99.99 to a game I don't want just to save money on some other games I actually want unless this really works.

My questions:
* First off, does this work?
*Are you able to cancel the pre-order without having to call customer service?
* When do you get charged, when the game ships or when you complete your order?
* If you DO cancel the $99.99 item, how do you receive the refund, does it take a long time to get charged back to your card or will I get some sort of Gamestop gift card?

Please let me know, thanks. Hopefully with this trick I can use it to save a bit of cash on some games I've been eyeing (3D Dot Game Heroes, I'm looking at you!)

1. It might work. Pre-orders and just regular orders are shipped differently, therefore you're going to have to pay for separate shipping when you check out. It will probably be a pain in the ass to cancel, but it might work nonetheless.

2. Doubt it. With most websites, I don't think it's possible to cancel an order without calling customer service.

3. You get charged when the game ships. However, with Wal-Mart, my pre-order was a little strange. It showed up for a little bit in my bank account after I first completed the order, but went away after a couple of hours and I still haven't been charged for Super Mario Galaxy.

4. Seeing as how you won't technically be charged for the item, they have nothing to refund back onto your card. I'd imagine they would just cancel the order so this way you're not charged when the game releases.

bread's done
Back