Anti-Gay Pastor Arrested for - you guessed it - Gay Solicitation

MrBadExample

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Funny Stuff
OKLAHOMA CITY -- An executive committee member of the Southern Baptist Convention was arrested on a lewdness charge for propositioning a plainclothes policeman outside a hotel, police said.
Lonnie Latham, senior pastor at South Tulsa Baptist Church, was booked into Oklahoma County Jail Tuesday night on a misdemeanor charge of offering to engage in an act of lewdness, police Capt. Jeffrey Becker said. Latham was released on $500 bail Wednesday afternoon.
Latham, who has spoken out against homosexuality, asked the officer to join him in his hotel room for oral sex. Latham was arrested and his 2005 Mercedes automobile was impounded, Becker said.
When he left jail, he said:
"I was set up. I was in the area pastoring to police."
The arrest took place in the parking lot of the Habana Inn, which is in an area where the public has complained about male prostitutes flagging down cars, Becker said. The plainclothes officers was investigating these complaints.
He has also spoken out against same-sex marriage and in support of a Southern Baptist Convention directive urging its 42,000 churches to befriend gays and lesbians and try to convince them that they can become heterosexual "if they accept Jesus Christ as their savior and reject their 'sinful, destructive lifestyle."'

I love his statement. Shades of Marion Barry. :lol:

It doesn't mention if any money was requested or offered. What crime did he commit if he simply asked the officer if he wanted to engage in oral sex?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']It doesn't mention if any money was requested or offered. What crime did he commit if he simply asked the officer if he wanted to engage in oral sex?[/QUOTE]
He walked up to a guy and asked him to come to his hotel room and give him a blowjob.

It is called lewdness, and is a misdemeanor offence.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']It doesn't mention if any money was requested or offered. What crime did he commit if he simply asked the officer if he wanted to engage in oral sex?[/QUOTE]

The common law crime of solicitation does not require any transfer of money in order for it to constitute a crime. If you approach someone and ask them to murder someone for you, even if you do not offer them any compensation for the crime, will still make you guilty of solicitation to commit murder.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The common law crime of solicitation does not require any transfer of money in order for it to constitute a crime. If you approach someone and ask them to murder someone for you, even if you do not offer them any compensation for the crime, will still make you guilty of solicitation to commit murder.[/QUOTE]

But murder is a crime, oral sex is not. What crime was committed here?

He walked up to a guy and asked him to come to his hotel room and give him a blowjob.

It is called lewdness, and is a misdemeanor offence.

I think thats ridiculous personally. So if I hit on someone and ask them if they want to have sex I'm committing a crime? Its not like I'm insisting, not listening to the word "no" or becoming threatening.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']But murder is a crime, oral sex is not. What crime was committed here?[/QUOTE]
Did you not see my post? Lewdness is a misdemeanor offence.

Actually, you would be committing a crime.

Unwanted advances and/or 'propositions', depending on the situation, can be considered either lewdness or sexual harassment.

It is not a good idea to walk up to a stranger and say "do you want to come to my hotel room and give me a blowjob?".

But the lewdness charge is just a misdemeanor, that priest will just hav to pay a small fine or do a few hours of community service.

*"I was set up. I was in the area pastoring to police."*

I'm especially fond of how pathetic his excuse is. If he'd at least claim that he was attempting to minister to the homosexuals in the area, he MIGHT have a believable excuse (just claim that he was attempting to explain why giving men BJs is bad, and the police officer misunderstood.) By claiming that he was attempting to minister to police officers, though - so, um, why exactly were you going up to someone not dressed in a police outfit and starting discussions about BJs? Did God somehow tell you he was a police officer? Why would you feel the need to talk about BJs with random police anyway?

[quote name='Quackzilla']Actually, you would be committing a crime.

Unwanted advances and/or 'propositions', depending on the situation, can be considered either lewdness or sexual harassment.

It is not a good idea to walk up to a stranger and say "do you want to come to my hotel room and give me a blowjob?".

But the lewdness charge is just a misdemeanor, that priest will just hav to pay a small fine or do a few hours of community service.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many of us could have had people arrested? Hell, could have been arrested?

[quote name='Drocket']*"I was set up. I was in the area pastoring to police."*

I'm especially fond of how pathetic his excuse is. If he'd at least claim that he was attempting to minister to the homosexuals in the area, he MIGHT have a believable excuse (just claim that he was attempting to explain why giving men BJs is bad, and the police officer misunderstood.) By claiming that he was attempting to minister to police officers, though - so, um, why exactly were you going up to someone not dressed in a police outfit and starting discussions about BJs? Did God somehow tell you he was a police officer? Why would you feel the need to talk about BJs with random police anyway?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. You'd have thought he would keep a better excuse up his sleeve.

Someone mentioned Marrion Barry. You'll be interested to know that everyone's favorite crackhead ex-Mayor just got robbed at gunpoint (gotta love karma)

[quote name='alonzomourning23']But murder is a crime, oral sex is not. What crime was committed here?
[/QUOTE]
Actually in some states (mine included) it actually is a crime. It's obviously hard to/not enforced, but if you're going by the letter of the law, he did commit a crime (if it is a crime in that state).

Considering supreme court decisions on sex and sodomy, I think that law is about enforcable as albama's and south carolina laws that banned interracial marriage up until the late 90's.

[quote name='camoor']Zo, I think people have a right not to be sexually harassed on the street.[/QUOTE]

If done properly how is this sexual harrassment? If someone comes up to you on the street and says:

"Hey, I think you're attractive"...respond... "Uh..... um.... well I'm bisexual, are you?"...respond... "I was wondering...uuh... do you want to get together.... or go back to my place sometime? Maybe some oral afterward?"

I had a guy come up to me once on the street and do just that (I tried to paraphrase what he said). I fail to see the harrassment there. If they're nice about it and you say no and they leave it at that, then what's the issue? I obviously don't know how the whole situation unfolded but if he was was nice and respectful about it then I don't see the problem.

bread's done
Back