Any advice about which PSN games to get please!?!

wageslave

CAGiversary!
Hey folks, I want to get a couple of simple pick up and play single player type games for my PS3. I was thinking of getting Shatter and Super Stardust HD, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Is the SSHD bundle worth the extra $5 over the regular version? The only downloaded game I currently own is Wipeout HD and I'm looking to blow maybe $30 total, and I've pretty much had my fill of FPS games. Thanks!!!

Definitely get Shatter - it's my favorite PSN game. SSHD is great too but might be a little too similar if you're only getting a few games.

The Ratchet and Clank game is a really well crafted affair and well worth the $15 (I think that's the price now).

Zen Pinball plays really well if you're into that.

Oh, and if you don't have it you really should get Flower.

I can't speak to Fat Princess but by all accounts it's pretty good.

[quote name='natureboy46']
Zen Pinball plays really well if you're into that.

[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I think I'll demo that to see if I like it.

Don't get Fat Princess if you're only interested in single-player. Shatter, Super Stardust HD, and either PixelJunk Monsters or Eden would be the best choices.

Another vote for Super Stardust HD, its one of my favorites on PSN. Pixeljunk games are always good as well. I also like Age of Booty a lot, just started playing it a few weeks ago but there is a lot of free content for it as well. The two games I'm playing the most on PSN though are Battlefield 1943 and Fat Princess....both are great games in all. When in doubt, try the demo out, as many of the PSN games do have demos.

There are some very good games for the PSN. Here are the games that I personally believe will give you the best value for the money you spend on them.

Wipeout HD
Shatter
Warhawk
Trash Panic
Super Stardust HD

There are more games that are very good, though. Such as Fat Princess, Pixeljunk Eden, Flower and so on and forth.

Crash Commando!

Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

You mentioned that you prefer single player.. but come one, both these games are mostly pick up and play (kind of.. *cough* MvC2).

Super Stardust was a first pick of mine, and it was pretty good. Better than Geometry Wars, but can be insanely frustrating/difficult at time. I bought the bundle for reasons that escape me, and I think I only used the multiplayer feature like once. If you have someone to play local coop with it, why not?

Shatter is easily a $10 game, and it being a tad under $8 makes it a screaming deal. There are nights where I would play the bonus mode just to unwind and relax...

...and if you want a fairly short game that's highly emotional and relaxing, then go get Flower. It's a really great experience, but I think the $10 I paid for it was pretty steep, considering that there's not a whole lot to do after you beat the game.

I like the Trash Panic demo, and it's a fun game for $5.

Pixel Junk games are pretty good, and most of them have local coop if you have friends/familiy to play with.

Super Stardust really is a beautiful looking game, so I would deffinatley check that out. One of my favorites is also The Last Guy. I would recommend Calling All Cars too but the online is pretty much dead. Also if you like bowling games High Velocity Bowling has a really good online mode to play with friends

If you like weird Japanese games, get Noby Noby Boy. If you like old kung fu movie styled games, get Rag Doll Kung Fu. If you like classic arcade fighting games, get Mortal Kombat 2.

What do all of those three games have in common? None of them are over $10 and each are well worth the money. I have all of them and I had alot of fun with each. However, I've only re-downloaded MK II since I got back my PS3 from Sony about 3 months ago, just because I mainly didn't want to bother with either of the other two.

Then again, I got Rag Doll Kung Fu during a promo when Sprint was giving it away FREE and I only got Noby Noby Boy just to see what all the fuss was about. It's a WEIRD game. That's about the ONLY way to put it.

But if you liked some games during the PS1 era, they also have a bunch of those on the PSN store. They have stuff like Spyro and Medievel, among others.

someone mentioned joining a gameshare group, if your a bit interested I have a group that seeking a 5th member.(Link Post)

Once a member (w/ $20psn card investment) of our group you would receive a share of:

Elefunk
Lumines Supernova
Comet Crash
Soldner-X:Himmelssturmer
Pixel Junk Monsters
Worms
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of Warlords w/exp
Ragdoll Kung-Fu:Fists of Plastic

Plus a few more... drop me a pm if you want to know more details..

Pixel Junk Monsters is a great game! The Encore add-on gives you more levels to play. I'm still working on the trophies!

Puzzle Quest, Pixel Junk Monsters, Shatter, Puzzle Fighter, Echochrome, and MvC2 are my picks, depending what kind of games you like.

I would definately get bionic commando rearmed, marvel vs capcom 2, Wipeout HD and Fury, Zen Pinball, Super Street Fight 2 HD, and Ratchet. I like wipeout and marvel the best.

My first purchase was PixelJunk racers, a decision more made due to lower price (picking up Eden tonight, however). If you have other people to play with you, Racers can be fantastic. Without knocking any other PixelJunk releases, I'd say that Racers is by far their most underrated one. Having said that, recommending Racers is a bit like recommending BitGenerations (Q-Games also had one title in there), which means that it's a tiny game that's got tremendous polish - but it's a tiny game nonetheless.

I'd suggest going and getting all the demos you can. Eden and Mosters are a must-buy as far as I'm concerned...

I never quite understood how game-sharing works on PSN. Anyone care to educate me on the matter? Doesn't it involve the sharing of log-in IDs and passwords?

So far as PSN download recommendations:

• Super Stardust HD - Amazing music, great game - the expansion adds co-op and added challenges (might as well pick it up in the bundle) - I've put at least 30 hours into this game
  • Mega Man 9 - If you loves Mega Man 2, pick it up - hard as hell, but worth the torture
  • PixelJunk Monsters - Great, stylistic Tower Defense game - local co-op only - very challenging

Trash Panic seems fairly deep, but lacking in the number of levels. I'd like to pick it up, when funds permit. Check out the demos for these games to see for yourself.

Ten day old thread, hope op's still checking. I'm surprised no one mentioned Savage Moon, which is a pretty fun tower defense. I like it more than PJM (I'm used to playing tower defense games in StarCraft and WarCraft, so it felt more familiar to me).

And I played Puzzle Quest for days on my PC. It was so addictive. Been thinking about getting Galatrix, but it's $20 on consoles and not as fun (and the DS version controls are so very horrible).

The only PSN game I bought was Megaman 9, I bought it on a whim really. Just a lot of word of mouth convinced me to get it, I don't think I beat a single level though.

bread's done
Back