Any advice on public speaking?

dopa345

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
I just learned yesterday that I was "volunteered" to give an hour long talk in 2 days to our department which about 200 people are going to be in attendence. While it's actually a honor to have be tabbed for this, needless to say, I'm a little nervous. Has anyone here ever been in a position like this and have any last-minute advice about public speaking?

Practice. A LOT.

Have not cards as back up, not as your whole speech. Don't fiddle with shit while you're up there or shift your weight around too much.

As someone who has to speak in public at least once a week, I've learned a few tricks that may or may not help you out.

Feel free to just talk. -- have an outline in mind and a direction to go, but don't feel tied to a specific set of words. Let things flow naturally, or you'll just end up looking and sounding like a nervous robot.

Have some notes -- be it not cards, or an outline. Put any cues on there you may forget. I assume that you'll be speaking on something you know a lot about (or you wouldn't have been asked to do it), so you probably only need a few words to trigger paragraphs' worth of information. It's not bad to check to notes, but don't just read them and don't be the drinking-bird, constantly referring to them.

Try to relax and have fun. -- If possible, try to get interaction from the audience. Treat it as you would just sitting around yaking with friends.

Is this instructional? An honorarium to someone? What kind of speech? I like the idea of a basic outline with maybe a couple cues. Natural talking always sounds better than head down, reading notes. You may also want to put a discreet amount of time in your outline to keep you in check. Make sure not to make a big deal of checking your watch, though.

Keep the speech flowing. If the speech is an hour long, make sure you have enough speaking points to cover the entire time span and segue from one point to the next as smoothly as possible. Be conscious of your pauses, both quiet pauses and your "ummm" and "ahhh" pauses. Don't speak in a monotonous tone, add some emotional weight to your presentation with not only verbal inflections, but facial inflections as well. Try not to let your hands talk. If you're going to make gestures, go all out and gesture with your whole body and not just your hands/arms. Its ok to use notes, but don't use them as a crutch, and avoid pausing in your speech to reference your notes. Speak loudly, even if into a microphone, and articulate your words, paying special attention to consonants at the end of words (s, t, k, r...etc...especially words ending in "S"....a tip there is pronounce "S"-ending words as if they end with "Z"). Keep a resonable pace, don't go too fast or too slow. The main thing tho is to be conscious of your pauses. A speaker that pauses alot or uses a lot of "umm" or "ahhh" crap is boring to listen to. Focus more on speaking and thinking about what you're going to say next than you do looking around at the faces staring at you. If you can keep your mind focused on your speech, you'll spend less time being self-conscious about how you appear in front of 100 faces.

Smile and look like you are actually having a good time speaking to your constituents. Speak as one of them sharing something important, never talk down to them. Shift your focus and eye contact around the room. It is ok to use humor and a do not forget that half of coming across professional, is actually looking professional so do your best to look great.

Some general tips. Currently taking a class that involves a lot of speaking and trains you on this:

1. Have a glass/bottle of water up there. If you're gonna say um or are at a loss of words, take a sip.

2. Don't waver around, put your hands in your pockets, any shit like that. It really is distracting to the listener.

3. Practice!!

4. Have notecards to refer to, but don't rely on them.

I can post more later when I'm not so busy.

Honestly, I've given my best presentations when I've had zero preparation. I've found that, personally, I feel much more comfortable speaking if I don't have a set plan and just let ideas flow. Not really the best and I doubt it works for everyone, but shit, it worked for me.

Do not focus on a person in the crowd. Stay away from umm and yeah. Always use yes and no. Think you are the coolest person in the world and everyone loves you to pieces!!!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Some general tips. Currently taking a class that involves a lot of speaking and trains you on this:

1. Have a glass/bottle of water up there. If you're gonna say um or are at a loss of words, take a sip.

2. Don't waver around, put your hands in your pockets, any shit like that. It really is distracting to the listener.

3. Practice!!

4. Have notecards to refer to, but don't rely on them.

I can post more later when I'm not so busy.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, with some caveats:

don't practice if it isn't a formal speech. Unless you're presenting "Catheter-Urethral Bonding: A Causal Analysis," (or whatever you kids do in med school), practice isn't necessary. If it's an informal talk, notecards and thinking over it will suffice (compared to, say, standing in front of a mirror and practicing it verbatim).

the formality of the speech is related to your posture; be aware of that. If it's formal or research, make like presidential candidates during debates: hands on the podium, look down to grab a couple sentences, look forward, scan the crowd, wash, rinse, repeat. I know this is important because I've done a formal research presentation of the "where the fuck are my slides with the regression results!?!?!?" type of preparedness, so I know what happens when formality is absent when it shouldn't be. If it's less formal, go for the "Steve Jobs Keynote Address" style - walk around a bit, use your hands (not too much), mix in some interesting anecdotes.

As someone who gets caught up in a colloquial loom of tangents and asides, the most important thing to keep in mind: stay on point, and never lose sight of your overall thesis.

Knock 'em dead.

I just did a presentation in front of about 100 people 10 minutes ago.
Was told late yesterday I was filling in for my boss.

It was easy as it was a subject we both new well, along with common sense.

Just know your subject. I had a podium so I wasn't fidgeting my hands or moving too much to distract the audience.

Relax, if you know the subject, it will go fine.

I've had the pleasure of MCing events of 300-1200 people, and the biggest thing is to get a feel for the crowd. If you make a joke, and the crowd doesn't laugh... stop making jokes.

Also it's important to give the appearance of being relaxed. This can be easier said than done. Some people are more relaxed on stage than others (I, for example, love being up in front of a crowd). A great way to do this is to really enjoy or have fun with what you're talking about (which isn't always possible), but give that appearance. Your attitude and demeanor will affect the crowd a LOT.

And if you're going to be taking questions from the audience, be sure to know the topic inside and out, nothing worse than being caught off-guard on stage.

Even though I can barely speak english (damn I mumble a lot) I am a great public speaker. 4 Advanced Public Speaking college courses will do that to you.

Anyway.....the greatest advice that I ever heard about public speaking is this.

Know that no matter what....no matter who you are..... 60% of the people there could care less about what you are saying and are not paying attention what so ever.

Think about...when you go to a meeting and have to listen to someone else how long do you really pay attention? 15 min? 20? before you just stop caring and start day dreaming.

Even if the meeting is imporant....most people still are not paying attention..because frankly no one wants to be there anyway.

Now that sounds harsh but its very very true....and knowing that just always helped take the edge off of public speaking.

Other than that...listen to the advice of everyone else hear and you should be fine.

[quote name='Apossum']Picture everyone in their underwear.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was picture everyone naked.

[quote name='gokou36']I thought it was picture everyone naked.[/QUOTE]

that works too.

like others have said, don't say um. instead pause for a moment and continue, when ever i have to speak publically for class or whatever i usually wing it. if it's a presentation have an outline so you stay on course, but try not to have that much information on the cards or slides. you should know the material before hand and discuss it in a casual manner.

A bit unrelated, but one of the most interesting facts I learned in public speaking classes is that the reason most people have trouble speaking in public is that our brain can think/read at about 3x the speed that we can speak (hence one of the reasons why IM has become popular, and voice/video chat has never caught on).

Be sure to concentrate on what you're saying rather than thinking ahead to the next subject or you'll start to have disjointed speech.

[quote name='gokou36']I thought it was picture everyone naked.[/QUOTE]
Picture everyone naked while they are doing fun stuff

[quote name='invinceable104']I'm learning how to be a TA and we had people from toastmasters make us up a sheet of tips - I can scan it up for ya if you want[/QUOTE]

totally freaking do it, i would like to see this!

[quote name='mykevermin']I agree with this, with some caveats:

don't practice if it isn't a formal speech. Unless you're presenting "Catheter-Urethral Bonding: A Causal Analysis," (or whatever you kids do in med school), practice isn't necessary. If it's an informal talk, notecards and thinking over it will suffice (compared to, say, standing in front of a mirror and practicing it verbatim).

the formality of the speech is related to your posture; be aware of that. If it's formal or research, make like presidential candidates during debates: hands on the podium, look down to grab a couple sentences, look forward, scan the crowd, wash, rinse, repeat. I know this is important because I've done a formal research presentation of the "where the fuck are my slides with the regression results!?!?!?" type of preparedness, so I know what happens when formality is absent when it shouldn't be. If it's less formal, go for the "Steve Jobs Keynote Address" style - walk around a bit, use your hands (not too much), mix in some interesting anecdotes.

As someone who gets caught up in a colloquial loom of tangents and asides, the most important thing to keep in mind: stay on point, and never lose sight of your overall thesis.

Knock 'em dead.[/QUOTE]
I agree with not practicing if it isn't a formal speech. Not sure how formal the OP needs to be though.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent advice. The main reason I'm a bit anxious about it is that it's a medically related topic with the audience being mostly other doctors who at least half of them probably know at least as much as I do about it, if not more.

[quote name='invinceable104']I'm learning how to be a TA and we had people from toastmasters make us up a sheet of tips - I can scan it up for ya if you want[/QUOTE]

I would definitely be interested in this too!

Don't give a shit what anyone thinks and just say what needs to be said. Pretend you're George Bush and you ought to be good. Seriously. Pretend that your opinion is the only one that matters and its the only one that's right.

Crap, turns out that sheet from Toastmasters was really geared towards leading a discussion session. I do have a lot of stuff from my training manual on public speaking though.

A lot of the stuff's already been stated above, but there are some interesting points about handouts, etc.

I'll upload em now.

I dunno how much use it'll be, but I guess it's fairly interesting:
PDF here:
http://download.yousendit.com/5D465F195A5A4C8F

[quote name='Soodmeg']Even though I can barely speak english (damn I mumble a lot) I am a great public speaker. 4 Advanced Public Speaking college courses will do that to you.

Anyway.....the greatest advice that I ever heard about public speaking is this.

Know that no matter what....no matter who you are..... 60% of the people there could care less about what you are saying and are not paying attention what so ever.

Think about...when you go to a meeting and have to listen to someone else how long do you really pay attention? 15 min? 20? before you just stop caring and start day dreaming.

Even if the meeting is imporant....most people still are not paying attention..because frankly no one wants to be there anyway.

Now that sounds harsh but its very very true....and knowing that just always helped take the edge off of public speaking.

Other than that...listen to the advice of everyone else hear and you should be fine.[/QUOTE]

So very true.

bread's done
Back