Any advice/preference for a system selector?

Psykodelik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
About a couple months ago I got a new TV. It's a 27" sony wega 480i. Before that I had a 20" w/RF unit only. I don't know much about the new cables for better picture quality. But people tell me "component" is the best way to go. I also assume s-video is the cables with red white and yellow and AV is similar but with an extra cable? Can someone tell me what does the AV do with the extra cable? How much better is it than the S-video cable?

With that in mind and my knowledge of TV cables, I saw an Intec Wireless Audio Video Selector w/remote for 29.99 ($20 A/C) at BB's website and wondering if it's any good? Would this be compatible w/my component cable? I know of the Pelican Pro and I don't want to pay $100 for it. If I had a better TV then maybe. I heard of the Pelican HD and how does that fair w/the Intec brand?

Finally, lets say I got one that would be able to use a component cable. My PS2 is for component and my Xbox is a s-video. If I connect the xbox as a s-video to the selector, would that in turn show as component or s-video? I don't mind buying another component cable but if I don't need to then money saved.

I'm pretty much open to other brands and I'd like to spend around the 30 range w/50 being my highest to go. Sorry if this post confuses you and thanks for any help.

Although out of the range that he wants, I believe the Joytech 240c could give the Pelican Pro a good run for it's money.

YMMV but last weekend I picked a Wireless AV selector with Remote for the XBOX at Toys R Us.It was in a green box and the system fits under the XBOX and also holds several games etc. I can't remember the brand but I think it was Intec. It was on the shelf for I think $39.99 but rang up $13.98.

There was an AV selector in a blue box that fits on top of the PS2 and also holds 12 games - it wasn't wireless but it was only $9.98 but had a shelf tag of $29.99.

[quote name='Psykodelik']But people tell me "component" is the best way to go. I also assume s-video is the cables with red white and yellow and AV is similar but with an extra cable? Can someone tell me what does the AV do with the extra cable? How much better is it than the S-video cable?

With that in mind and my knowledge of TV cables, I saw an Intec Wireless Audio Video Selector w/remote for 29.99 ($20 A/C) at BB's website and wondering if it's any good? Would this be compatible w/my component cable? I know of the Pelican Pro and I don't want to pay $100 for it. If I had a better TV then maybe. I heard of the Pelican HD and how does that fair w/the Intec brand?

Finally, lets say I got one that would be able to use a component cable. My PS2 is for component and my Xbox is a s-video. If I connect the xbox as a s-video to the selector, would that in turn show as component or s-video? I don't mind buying another component cable but if I don't need to then money saved.

I'm pretty much open to other brands and I'd like to spend around the 30 range w/50 being my highest to go. Sorry if this post confuses you and thanks for any help.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to help you out since noone else seemed to read your post all the way through. Component (red, green, blue) is better than S-Video or Composite (Yellow). Let me give you a brief description of each.

Composite - have been around forever. This is Red and White for Audio and Yellow for Video.

S-Video - seperates color info from the brightness. This can increase the sharpness up to 30%. I remember when I first bought my 32" Toshiba in 97 and went with S-Video for the Playstation. I was blown away at the difference. (When you are using S-Video don't even bother plugging in the Yellow connector if you have one)

Component - The Luma (black/white) is sent down one wire and the other wires contain the Red and Blue signals. The Green part of the signal is derived by subtracting the Red and Blue from the Luminance. This makes this type of connection the superior in terms of image quality. Colors won't bleed as much, they should look more vibrant and it will continue to be nice and sharp.

I can tell you this much. That switch at Bestbuy really doesn't tell you much of what it has to offer and it had no rear picture of the unit. I'm willing to bet it is only a Composite Switch and this will not work for you. I don't know if your TV has Component or even S-Video inputs? I recommend whatever you can afford. You get what you pay for and Component Switching is most likely going to cost you the most as well as component cables.

About your ps2 and xbox question. You will need to buy a component cable. The switch will not convert the signal from S-Video to Component.

I can tell you right now the only system I am running on Component is my 360. I'm running my Xbox, PS2, Cube, Dreamcast on S-Video. 2 Totally different TV's. I'm telling you this as I want you to know that S-Video is still acceptable. If it's too expensive to buy a component switch and a Component cable for your Xbox, just go with S-Video for now. You can always upgrade later. Any questions please ask.

Thanks for the info Hardware, now I know what each does and which is better. I get confused with the terms composite and A/V. I looked in the back of my TV and it has 1 component, 1 S-video, 3 composite (1 in front) and 1 RF. As far as selectors go, I still need to do more research. I know there are other selectors that would probabbly be in the TV section(any store) instead of gaming and any preferences from there?

I saw a component/s-video selector for 24.99 at best buy. It looked really crappy though, I think it was made by pelican.

EDIT: maybe it was made by madcatz, I can't remember. I might go there later tonight and check it out again.

[quote name='scp89']http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=4109&cata=15&s_cata=252

pelican's HD System Selector Pro it is available in Black or Silver....this is the cheapest I've found and various codes around for this site will get you 10% off...

this is really the only choice as far as system selectors go...there is nothing even remotely close to this thing...and I own 2 :)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, even though you're left with lots of cables sticking out. I haven't seen a cluttered mess like that since Ric Flair tried flexing in a vat of chicken noodle soup.

well this is the selector I was talking about, it's made by pelican

cc7dfa8ed818.jpg

On a side note, I wanted this component switcher for the 360 because I was going to put a laptop HD in the left drawer and run a usb cable out the back.

x360_8618L.jpg

I had that one and gave it to my brother because I'm currently not using it. Nothing wrong with, no bad picture quality. Or, at least, nothing I noticed. It gets the job done on the cheap.

[quote name='valor19']On a side note, I wanted this component switcher for the 360 because I was going to put a laptop HD in the left drawer and run a usb cable out the back.

x360_8618L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Ack, what kind of savage would put discs in it like that? Id have to murder someone if I saw one of my games was left outside of the case like that....

I have the Pelican System Selector Pro. It has 7 back imputs and one front imput. All 8 have component, s-video and composite imputs. 3 of 8 have optical audio. If you have a systems running component, s video, and composite into the imputs you have to run all three as outputs as well. The selector does not convert composite or s-video to a component output. There is not a remote feature....that would of been nice. The selector chasse is full sized so it fits in perfect with other audio equiptment. The system is limited on the plastic system selector buttons. No Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Genesis, Saturn or DC plastic buttons to be found. I contacted the company to see if they made them but they don't. It is 80 bucks...but I think it is worth it for the chasse size and 8 imputs. Black or silver.

[quote name='jaysmooth69']I have the Pelican System Selector Pro. It has 7 back imputs and one front imput. All 8 have component, s-video and composite imputs. 3 of 8 have optical audio. If you have a systems running component, s video, and composite into the imputs you have to run all three as outputs as well. The selector does not convert composite or s-video to a component output. There is not a remote feature....that would of been nice. The selector chasse is full sized so it fits in perfect with other audio equiptment. The system is limited on the plastic system selector buttons. No Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Genesis, Saturn or DC plastic buttons to be found. I contacted the company to see if they made them but they don't. It is 80 bucks...but I think it is worth it for the chasse size and 8 imputs. Black or silver.[/QUOTE]

What is an "imput"?

you know i have been pondering about that 8input switch from best buy lately..its a 100 bucks..but with coupons i could bring it down to 80 or so. Now should I go with black since all my systems are black OR go with silver and get the remote?

[quote name='valor19']I had that one and gave it to my brother because I'm currently not using it. Nothing wrong with, no bad picture quality. Or, at least, nothing I noticed. It gets the job done on the cheap.[/QUOTE]

thats good to hear, the guy at best buy told me my 360 would look like crap plugged into it so I passed. But now I think I might go get it afterall. I don't really want to shell out 80 bucks on a system selector when I just bought a xbox360, a high def tv, and HD cables for my ps2. Another 80 is just too much to add on to that list of expenses.

I just got the Pelican System Selector Pro (with remote) for Christmas. Seven component inputs in the back, and one in the front. It comes in either silver or black, and it's the same size as a standard rack component (receiver, DVD player, etc). As mentioned about it has three digital optical inputs, and it also has three ethernet inputs to allow switching if you have broadband connections into your PS2, Xbox, and another device. For all it offers it's a decent price. You can pick it up for around 80 dollars at a few online retailers. PL-960 is the model number of the latest one with the remote and full component inputs. Also, it's covered by a 5 year warranty.

bread's done
Back