Any CAGs with Netbooks - WTF?

drktrpr1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
Are Netbooks going the way of the dodo? I can't find any on sale (or even advertised) in the weekly circulars. Are they going out of style/production anytime soon?

I'm in the market for a new laptop after getting let go on Friday, so I'm looking for a good-quality netbook at around $250-$300. Do any have an HDMI output? Or are they basically just bare-bones?

Any recommendations?

[quote name='drktrpr1']Are Netbooks going the way of the dodo? I can't find any on sale (or even advertised) in the weekly circulars. Are they going out of style/production anytime soon?

I'm in the market for a new laptop after getting let go on Friday, so I'm looking for a good-quality netbook at around $250-$300. Do any have an HDMI output? Or are they basically just bare-bones?

Any recommendations?[/QUOTE]
I think tablets killed the netbook.

There's no such thing as a good-quality netbook. You should have no problem finding one at WalMart for about $200. I think $250 is the most expensive price I've seen for one recently.

Wished I had a Microcenter around me!

Either way, I bought an Acer Aspire One (without HDMI) for mega cheap through Amazon. I'd buy a tablet but this will be just enough to get me through between jobs.

And yeah, I will definitely agree that the Tablet killed the Netbook.

This sucks. Netbooks are great for college students. Especially those who have to type a lot. My Samsung NC-10 is on its way out with the screen going white at times. I still have one more year left until I graduate, so I want to see if it can hold up for the last stretch. Sad to see netbooks go. I'll just repeat what my professor said:

"Tablets are good for consuming, not producing."

I just bought an Asus Transformer tablet with the dock/keyboard attachment, which effectively turns it into a netbook. It's pretty awesome, but definitely on the expensive side at $500 for the higher model plus another $150 for the dock.

I don't know if things have dramatically changed, but back when I bought my netbook about two years ago (ASUS EEE PC 1000HE), they all had the same hardware specs, and the only notable difference was battery life and keyboard/trackpad. (Well, I guess they can now more or less play higher-def video.) Sometimes odd decisions are made when rearranging or resizing the keyboard/trackpad, so pour your efforts in to gathering opinions about those things & go actually test them out in person if you can.

All that said, keyboard-related activities and the ability to use Flash aside, I find the tablet form-factor and speed much better to use. A real PC might be able to theoretically "do more," but it might all test your patience to a fault compared to the brisker, if limited, experience on a tablet. Notable tablet benefits, in my experience are:

1. Ability to view content in portrait mode. More text at a time, less scrolling.
2. What it *can* do, it does significantly faster than a netbook.
3. Less bulk.
4. Easier to use while lying down.
5. Longer battery life.
6. More focus since I can't get distracted by opening too many websites or programs at the same time.

I've got quite a lengthier list of what I hate about my iPad (G1, 16GB wi-fi), but I still prefer to use it over my netbook.

I haven't tried it personally, but I think the keyboard dock idea (a la ASUS Transformer) is the best of both world. Streamlined efficiency of a tablet with the ability to do long-form typing. The tablet-turns-into-laptop thing is better than Apple's desk-necessary keyboard dock and stays in one nice piece when transporting. They've had third-party "keyboard cases" for iPads, but they look bulky as hell and don't seem to have well-reviewed keyboards.

If you're looking for actual power in a tiny form-factor computer, there are ultra-portable notebooks like the MacBook Air, but those are usually at least triple your stated price-range.

Since a netbook performs so poorly in multimedia tasks, I think it's only really great as a casual-use, I-can-waste-time-not-efficiently-browsing-websites computer and as a word processor...but as mentioned earlier, the narrow landscape screen, combined with the relatively low resolution isn't a very friendly way to view text.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've been reading up on the next gen of ASUS netbooks coming out is that they're starting to be built with Duel Core Intel Atom processors. I'm currently trying to get one ordered for work, but from all accounts they're steady and people are happy with them. Of course I'll more than likely max out the ram and install a solid state drive in it.

Keep an eye here - http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=772&name=Netbooks

They have sales all the time and list the specs on their items.

Thanks for the help, guys, this is really helpful. I just ordered one of the newer Acer models (with the Atom), and I'm thinking that it'll be fine for what I need to do. They brag that the keyboard is 93% the size of a standard laptop keyboard, so I'm happy with that.

bread's done
Back