Any car mechanic CAGs?

Hex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hey CAG, I have a 1993 Nissan Pathfinder, and what I surmise is recently (I only noticed in the beginning of June) my low-beam headlights have died. I've looked at the fuses in the engine compartment (there are fuses in the cab, but not for the headlights specifically), and they seem to be intact. I bought a new bulb for the headlights, thinking maybe the pair of lights went out close to the same time, but to no success. Does anyone have any ideas what exactly the problem might be (other than just a general electronic error)? Also, before you say 'take it to a shop', I'm a poor motherfucker and I'd prefer to try free advice first. ;)

From http://en.allexperts.com/q/Nissan-Repair-825/nissan-pathfinder-2002-headlight.htm --

Question
hello
i asked this question before but for some reason the answer got filtered into my junk mail. sorry, for the second(and the same) question.

ive got a 2002 nissan pathfinder and my problem is that the drivers side headlight(low beam) doesnt work. ive cheeked the fuses and bulb and still have no luck. the divers side low beam does not work. the daytime running lights(canadian model) and high beams work on the drivers side, but the low beam doesnt. my passengers side headlight works fine(daytime, low and high all work).

ive read some of the q&a'a and majority seem to be to replace my headlight switch. do you have any other advice if this doesnt work? if it is my headlight switch, how come my passengers side works fine and my drivers side doesnt?does the headlight switch give power to both headlights together or give power sperately? shouldnt it be both that dont work?

sorry for all the questions, this is just really confusing trying to understand auto electrical.

thanks again
julius

Answer

Julius,

The headlights are independent from each other. That is, they are on seperate contacts that operate at the same time. It should be the headlight switch since the highbeam works and the low does not. You see, they are grounded through the same path so the problem is upstream and that would be the headlight switch. You did check the fuses? And, there is no relay for the low beams.

Google is your friend!

bread's done
Back