Any Cartoon Lovers Out There?

japatten

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
I'm just curious if I'm alone in my love for a lot of the classic cartoons. I couldn't find a thread about it anywhere, so I figured I'd start my own. I've really started to get into a lot of the cartoons that I grew up with; I'm 21 and grew up with the likes of Dexter's Laboratory, Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Popeye, Looney Tunes, and so forth. Curious if anyone else likes them.

Honestly I love all cartoons. I always wanted to be an animator growing up.

The only cartoons I've been watching as of late are Batman Beyond on Netflix and the Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles CG Cartoon.

I used to love GI Joe, ThunderCats, and the original TMNT, but the latter I have a hard time watching anymore.

In the 90's I loved watching the DCAU, Powerpuff Girls, Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, and Dexter's Lab. Also the greatest talk show ever made: Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

Nowadays I watch the new TMNT, Bleach, Pokemon, Teen Titans Go, and Adventure Time. Will watch Beware the Batman and Legend of Korra when they air new episodes.

i too share the love for the 90's cartoons. i was about to cancel my subscription to netflix since the shows were no longer interesting but then they surprised me. they added so many of the old shows from cartoon network like cow and chicken, dexter's lab, powerpuff girls, and so much more.

My wife & I both love good cartoons, classic and current. We own a bunch of DC animated stuff, Darkwing Duck, Animaniacs, Disney/Pixar movies. Love Avatar (only seen a little bit of Korra so far but like it). It's a little hard to keep up without cable but we devour new cartoons on Netflix all the time.

fucking Danger Mouse.
Also grew up with the likes of Inspector Gadget, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, David the Gnome and of course, Looney Tunes.

The 90s were unquestionably the greatest era for cartoons IMO. Nickelodeon started it off in the early 90s with classics like Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Doug, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Rocko's Modern Life. Then from the mid to late 90s was when Cartoon Network picked up the slack and started pumping out their now hallmark cartoons. 2 Stupid Dogs, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Johnny Bravo, and Ed, Edd, and Eddy are all perfect examples. Plenty of quality Disney series also came out of this decade.

Then at the same time there was the comic book boom of the early 90s which resulted in pretty much every major superhero getting their own cartoon series. Marvel had Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and The Incredible Hulk just to name a few. Of course DC had some as well in Batman: TAS and Superman. Now that I look back on it, even though these comic book based cartoons weren't always the best, I grew up watching them religiously and they're no doubt the reason why I love anything comic book related today.

One more point I'd like to make before I wrap this all up is that the 90s were also when cartoons for more mature audiences were starting to be produced. You had shows like South Park, Beavis and Butt-head, and even Family Guy being made with older viewers in mind.

So in summation, yeah, I like cartoons.

Archer, Adventure Time, Adult Swim, and a few others are pretty much all the cartoons I watch these days though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on a Scooby-Doo binge lately.

I just wish the public had access to more of the classics on DVD. There is often VHS rips available on various nefarious websites and stores, but there's just something special about seeing them in high-quality as you did when you were young. For instance, The Jetsons Season 3 has still NOT been made available to the public... only VHS rips of the episodes....

I love a lot of 80s stuff and some 90s. I own all of Transformers G1 and Beast Wars, G.I. Joe (Except whatever DiC eps they haven't released yet), MASK, Batman: TAS, X-Men, Superman, Batman Beyond and a bunch of other random stuff. The 90s Disney stuff was good but I don't own any since I don't think there are any complete series sets out and I try to avoid buying piecemeal nowadays. There are some shows I'd love to get if they would ever come out on DVD. I'd love to get all the 90s Spider-man on DVD as well as Dinosaucers.

I dislike Scooby Doo and most Hanna-Barbera old stuff. I dislike a lot of the newer stuff too but occasionally something I like comes out. Adventure Time and Regular Show are great. Archer is hilarious. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was very good. (Ultimate Spider-Man fills me with nerd rage). I thought I would hate Batman: The Brave and the Bold but it was actually great. I am not optimistic for Beware the Batman, but I will watch it I'm sure.

I'm a big animation nut. All kinds. I've got multiple shelves in my house stuffed with animation DVDs and Blu-Rays. One of my personal favorites are the Warner Brothers DC Universe. (Batman: The Animated Series, Superman, Justice League)

My personal collection has reached the point where I actually separate it out into East vs. West. The general style and tone of anime is different enough to warrent its own category. (at least in my house)

[quote name='crystalklear64']traditional hand drawn animation gives me a stiffy.

i take it to a silly extent though. i refuse to watch 3d animated films.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's silly.

I still DVR some of the old 80's/90's cartoons. Definitely a nostalgia thing, since I end up just deleting them, but kinda nice having them on the DVR just incase the mood strikes.

80's TMNT
Daria
Ren and Stimpy
Animaniacs
Rugrats
Batman: Animated Series

The new TMNT isn't too shabby either.

[quote name='PimpLimp']The 90s were unquestionably the greatest era for cartoons IMO. Nickelodeon started it off in the early 90s with classics like Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Doug, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Rocko's Modern Life. Then from the mid to late 90s was when Cartoon Network picked up the slack and started pumping out their now hallmark cartoons. 2 Stupid Dogs, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Eddy Bravo, and Ed, Edd, and Eddy are all perfect examples. Plenty of quality Disney series also came out of this decade.[/QUOTE]

This is a good paragraph. Eddy Bravo, haha. I know you meant Johnny. :bouncy:

I do have one nitpick, though. 2 Stupid Dogs is actually from 1993 on TBS. CN only showed reruns later on.

Also, did anyone else ever watch "Mummies Alive!"?

"With the strength of Ra!"

[quote name='PimpLimp']The 90s were unquestionably the greatest era for cartoons IMO. Nickelodeon started it off in the early 90s with classics like Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Doug, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, and Rocko's Modern Life. Then from the mid to late 90s was when Cartoon Network picked up the slack and started pumping out their now hallmark cartoons. 2 Stupid Dogs, Dexter's Lab, Cow and Chicken, Eddy Bravo, and Ed, Edd, and Eddy are all perfect examples. Plenty of quality Disney series also came out of this decade.

Then at the same time there was the comic book boom of the early 90s which resulted in pretty much every major superhero getting their own cartoon series. Marvel had Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and The Incredible Hulk just to name a few. Of course DC had some as well in Batman: TAS and Superman. Now that I look back on it, even though these comic book based cartoons weren't always the best, I grew up watching them religiously and they're no doubt the reason why I love anything comic book related today.

One more point I'd like to make before I wrap this all up is that the 90s were also when cartoons for more mature audiences were starting to be produced. You had shows like South Park, Beavis and Butt-head, and even Family Guy being made with older viewers in mind.

So in summation, yeah, I like cartoons.

Archer, Adventure Time, Adult Swim, and a few others are pretty much all the cartoons I watch these days though.[/QUOTE]

I loved Real Monsters. I even picked up the genesis game so I can play it(not bad). I remember as a kid I disliked ed,edd and eddy and then one year(while still a kid) I just loved it.Never really watched any of the marvel cartoons as I was more of a dc kid.

I watched nearly every non cable cartoon in the 90's, especially the ones that would air on sat mornings.

The only toons I watch now are young justice(RIP) and the legend of korra.

[quote name='ID2006']This is a good paragraph. Eddy Bravo, haha. I know you meant Johnny. :bouncy:

I do have one nitpick, though. 2 Stupid Dogs is actually from 1993 on TBS. CN only showed reruns later on.

Also, did anyone else ever watch "Mummies Alive!"?

"With the strength of Ra!"[/QUOTE]Thanks. And hahaha I completely missed out on that typo.

I didn't know that about 2 Stupid Dogs though. I caught it on CN when I was really young and just assumed it was one of the earlier stuff Hanna-Barbera made for the channel.

I actually remember Mummies Alive too. I'd watch on weekday mornings before school with other DiC cartoons like Sonic. I remember thinking the big mummy without the arm was a badass cause when he powered up he'd get a sick solid gold arm.

Now the real question is, does anybody remember SWAT Kats?

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']I loved Real Monsters. I even picked up the genesis game so I can play it(not bad). I remember as a kid I disliked ed,edd and eddy and then one year(while still a kid) I just loved it.Never really watched any of the marvel cartoons as I was more of a dc kid.[/QUOTE]Aaahh!!! Real Monsters has a special place in my memory too! I can still remember being 4 years old and watching it at my grandparents house when my sister was born.

I barely remember SWAT Kats. Wish WB would make a legitimate DVD set instead of one of those crappy MOD sets.

I've been watching a shit ton of kid shows with my 2 year old. You really learn to appreciate a good show when you see it. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse & Dora are some of the most mind numbing experiences ever. While something like Sofia the First is slightly entertaining and tolerable.

I can't wait till she's older and we can watch something a little more grown up. I bought her a a couple Marvel books for kids so she knows who Spider-Man and the Avengers are. I loved Avengers EMH and I'd defiantly re-watch it with her.

Besides that I've shown her most of the Disney classics. I forgot how some of the older ones have a few scary scenes. I skipped Dumbo's pink elephant parade. That scene was a complete mindfuck.

I love cartoons - who doesn't? Some of the old cartoons like Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, etc. are just timeless. My kids love them as much as I did.

[quote name='Rodimus']I've been watching a shit ton of kid shows with my 2 year old. You really learn to appreciate a good show when you see it. Mickey Mouse Clubhouse & Dora are some of the most mind numbing experiences ever. [/QUOTE]

This is so true. I watch a lot of cartoons with my kids and once they got out of the Dora phase it became so much better. My son (5) and I watch all the superhero cartoons on Netflix - he loves Fantastic Four, Avengers, Iron Man, etc. We are watching Justice League and Batman Brave and The Bold right now. It's great.

^ lucky you, can't wait to get to that point with my daughter. I never watched Justice League when it came out but noticed that it's now on Netflix with a ton of other Cartoon Network/Warner Bros cartoons. So I've been watching an episode or two here and there, it's good stuff.

This came to mind so I had to post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-DrfFJAgw

Justice League is fantastic. It holds up exceptionally well because most of the quality for the show is stuffed into the writing, storyboarding, and voice acting. The fundamentals are all really solid.

Batman: The Brave and the Bold is incredibly cheesy. But it's also very strangely appealing. It is quite watchable, even for an older audience, while still skewing toward a younger demographic. The self-aware tone of the show has enough in-jokes and subtle jabs at comic culture to keep an adult audience entertained. The colorful aesthetic, bombastic writing, and simplified narratives will delight any child. It is definitely a solid choice for watching with the youngsters. Highly recommended.

Batman: The Animated Series also holds up extremely well. It does have a few weaker episodes that have aged poorly. But I estimate that at least 80% of the show is worth watching by a modern adult audience. It might actually be a bit too dark for 2-year-olds. I'd wait until kids are in the six-to-nine age range before showing it to them, and I would recommend watching it with them to contextualize any of the scarrier bits. (the clayface introduction is still chilling)

Transformers and He-Man do not hold up as well as you would want them to. Show them to your kids young. They will be entertained, even if it is harder for you to watch them. GI Joe is a little bit more middle-of-the-road.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ lucky you, can't wait to get to that point with my daughter. I never watched Justice League when it came out but noticed that it's now on Netflix with a ton of other Cartoon Network/Warner Bros cartoons. So I've been watching an episode or two here and there, it's good stuff.

This came to mind so I had to post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-DrfFJAgw[/QUOTE]

God I love that intro. That's the actual movie IMHO, fuck that Cobra-la bullshit. Outside of Sgt. Slaughter unscrewing the holding cell's security panel (which just happened to be INSIDE the cell, talk about a design flaw) with his fucking fingernails, that movie is garbage while the intro is basically all a Joe fan could ever ask for.

Duke, the obvious homage to the real Duke John Wayne starting the counterstrike by taking down Major Bludd's CLAW jet glider, with that hard as nails look that only Clint Eastwood and the Duke could pull off? Check. Snake Eyes commandeering a Trouble Bubble and tearing shit up? Check. Alpine climbing the Statue of Liberty, shooting his grappling line onto a fucking Firebat, smashing the cockpit with his fists, then escaping onto Snake Eyes' commandeered Trouble Bubble to escape? Check. And Duke knocking Cobra Commander the fuck out, grabbing the bomb, and flying it up to and taking out the Cobra air fortress. fuck yeah.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Transformers and He-Man do not hold up as well as you would want them to. Show them to your kids young. They will be entertained, even if it is harder for you to watch them. GI Joe is a little bit more middle-of-the-road.[/QUOTE]

I do have the entire Rhino DVD release of Transformers and watched it all the way through. Season 1 is okay, but season 2 is when it really went to shit. Episodes like "Hoist goes to Hollywood" and when Starscream goes back in time to King Arthur's court pretty much sums it up. Season 3's intro is still awesome to watch and the movie (1986 one) is still one of my favorites.

I've been thinking about showing it to my daughter. It seems harmless enough. She likes playing with my old Transformer toys so maybe I'll pop it in and she how she reacts.

I would double dip for the Shout Factory sets. The Rhino releases used imperfect masters so there are even more animation errors than normal. Plus, the SF releases take up far less space and look nice.

bread's done
Back