Any... cheapass (or cheaparse lol) Australian gamers??//

layzee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Hi,

Just thought I'd make my first post here to get an idea how many Australians exist on this forum.

Yeah, I know Australia isn't part of Europe... or anywhere for that matter, damn this isolated country. ):

I think Australia is in the so called "Oceania" region which includes Australia as well as various South-East Asian countries. Australia was also formed by British convicts apparently. So I guess you could say Australia has European and Asian connections?

Anyway enough talk about geographical locations. Let's talk about Australia.

Australia... land of overpriced games; takes many months for "new" releases to make it here (or doesn't make it here at all which is often the case); and even if it arrives, the PAL conversion usually has a downgrade in speed as well as grotesque, disgusting, and intrusive black borders. Anything else?

There's only one good thing about PAL: sometimes (mostly for SquareEnix and Konami games), there might be bonus DVDs.

I quit spending $$ on PAL games a long time ago (not worth supporting IMO), so was wondering where and how Australian (I refuse to use the term "Ozzie" :( ) gamers buy games (either NTSC or PAL) these days?

Electronics Boutique (EB) seems to be doing well, too bad about the lack of a .au website. The lack of a local version of Amazon.com is annoying too. eBay... Australia -> low population = small market on eBay. :( Australia reeeeaaally needs a local website dedicated to computer and video games.

So any Australians (or anyone for that matter), feel free to post a reply, even it's just a "lol".

Cheers.

Hmm, decided to step in a Electronics Boutique store today in Melbourne Central in the City (haven't been to a game store in a looong while...why bother?)

Well, I basically confirmed what I already know.

Very small game selection as expected. I'm an RPG fan but I barely saw any... no Star Oceans, no Shadow Hearts, no Suikoden 4s (3 wasn't released here), heck, I don't even remember seeing any Final Fantasies.

What was worse is when I looked through the PS2 "bargain bin".

I only quickly looked through it, but it seemed to me the minimum price for a preowned game is $29.95AUD... even for a SHIT one. Perhaps there were a few $19.95AUDs as well, who knows. Again, not a single game caught my eye, certainly no RPGs there. I do recall a preowned PS2 Resident Evil 4 going for $70AUD or $80AUD. That's just...pathetic...

And this was after hearing all about the $1-$2 dollar games that are offered in the U.S. :bomb:

EDIT: I take it there's no Australians here then, let alone Europeans? This forum certainly is empty.

Well, good thing you found CAG, make good friends and trade/buy w/ them instead. Although CAG rules, you might want to check out Tradegamesnow.com, its a nice little website that emphasizes more on trading, you might get some good deals there too.

Hey! I'm a Sydney-sider and I agree with you. It's so hard here in the land down under to look for some cheap games unlike in the US.:(

The thing says "The best video game deals in the world are here", surely that should be "The best video game deals in the States are here". Well Australian gamers, I do know a good indi site that is great, it isn't made for cheap games though, it is made for broadband, the best Australia Broadband adsl guide site on Earth. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=71738 is the games price watch link.

It does suck to be in Oz and play consoles. I bought a 360 on release and the games range and prices are terrible here.
I had forgotten about that, my last console was a Dreamcast and now the old memories of glacially slow releases and massive markups have come flooding back.

I did however find www.play-asia.com to have some awsome region free deals for 360 but they only have 5 - 10 games like that.
fuck fucking EB and their $120 for new games. I saw a pre-owned NBA 2006 for $119 there the other day at the Southland store, They had even scratched the price off the new copy next to it. I hate to think what they were charging for that.

BTW, Enchanted Arms is coming out next week.

Im an australian gamer as well, disapointed to see no australian seciton :( Where are australians shopping online? play asias great, but for only a really small handfull of games.

www.dvdcrave.com is an australian site with slightly cheaper games, and since its AU you can pay like 3 bucks for postage so you dont lose the value of the deal by getting it sent to you (so often the case...). A lot of new games can be found in the late 80s bracket, meaning the few dollars spent on shipping brings it up to about 90 (consider that most in store retailers get away with 120 these days for next gen).

www.cd-wow.com is a UK site that ships free worldwide (remember, europe and australia have the same region coding), and often prices pretty favourably. "Just cause" for example (new 360 title) is going for (converted from euro) $65AU

What about other places, anyone?

I've sold stuff to Aussie through these boards before. I found the buyer to be a trustworthy trader and therefore have continued to do business with him repeatedly.

My advice, make friends with someone on the board, establish a reputation for being trustworthy, and you can get the hookups on cheap games too. Usually CAGs sell for less than retail and bulk sales might encourage people to ship overseas.

Once (or should that be 'if') the Ps3 comes out in this neck of the woods (I am in New Zealand but close enough) we will be free to import games as they are to be region free.

Games are rediculously expensive here, up to $130NZ which roughly equals $84US!!!!! No wonder I only have 5 360 games at the moment...

I would suggest play-asia.com for the rgion free games, or eBay for 2nd hand games. There are always
people winning games as prizes and selling them on TradeMe (NZ eBay) becuse they don't have a 360, or people with more dollars than sense selling hardly played basically brand new games.

Actually, speaking of how Kiwis are shafted by game prices, the Wii-mote is $100 here (around $65US) plus the Nun-chuck at $50NZ ($32.50US).
HEY NINTENDO --> IT IS THAT SORT OF CRAP THAT IS WHY I AM NOT GETTING A WII!!! Well, not at launch anyway:)

Apparently $100 is a cuter number than $60-70NZ that it should be and that is the most important I guess...

SHAQ-FU to that!

Yeah, I do heaps of importing now, I hardly ever buy DS games locally unless there is a decent sale on.

Personally I've found that the only system you can get reasonable cheap games on is ps2, but you have to take your time to sift through the crap. Or you can run around getting stores to price match but I'm really not into that.

Luckily I'm good friends with one of my guys who is at the local EB games and he knows what I'm into and lets me know if good quality second hand stuff comes his way.

Untill Australia starts having more people and more gamers we still have inflated prices, so I'll still shop heaps on play asia.

I'm in Melbourne myself. I used to have a whole route, stopping at various second-hand stores and cash converters, but my retro gear has dried up in recent years.

I'm an Aussie CAG, living in Geelong currently.
Own a PS2, PS3 and GC, used to have an Xbox1 but sold it for a PS3.
Good thing about the PS3 is that it ain't region locked so I can import games and no worries.
Love my RPG's and am currently waiting on FFXIII, FFvXIII and White Knight Story.

Hi fellow Aussies!!!

100% behind getting some deals happening on our side of the earth!!

check out this new thread I asked CheapyD to set up for all us bargain starved ozzy players:

Cheap Ass Gamer > Cheap Ass Gamer Deals > Regional/International Video Game Deals > Australia

Get involved and lets start the revolution - post any threads / topics for Aussie game trading - bargain hunters go forth!!!

bread's done
Back